Casey Scorpions v Werribee Tigers - colours & squads

dunn 18 kicks 6 handballs, one of our best.

i think newton finished with about 16 touches...

hope jordie gets a taste of seniors deanox worked into the game well and improves each time i have seen him

how many tackles did juice get do you know

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watched most of it (missed half of the 2nd and half of the 3rd).

This was the first time I'd seen Jurrah play. This guy really excites me. Loved that set up in the 4th quarter where he picked the ball up off the ground and passed nicely to Miller. Plus 4 goals. If he keeps that up we might see him some time later this year.

Miller was outstanding. Did everything you would assume Bailey and co. would have wanted him to do. 3 goals 4 is a bit of a letdown, but he absolutely dominated, took 15 marks and was far too much for the Werribee defence. Should be in line for a recall.

I thought Dunn was pretty good. Seemed to go harder than I'm used to from him. Jetta was also impressive with his constant harassment of defenders. I also thought Petterd had a good game both in the forward line and up the ground.

Spencer is still the most awkward and fumbly player I've seen in years, but he does well in ruck contests and knows how to use his height. At least he's not afraid of getting a possession either.

Bail did little, and I forgot Strauss was playing until I heard his name late in the 4th. Bartram was OK but not great. Wheatley kicked a superb goal in the 3rd from about 55, but he looks like he needs a few more games at VFL level to regain his fitness. Seemed to be really out of puff.

Jordie McKenzie looks promising. Seems to do his best work in the clearances.

I think Newton has to get another chance in the seniors soon. He has been really impressive, as has Miller and Dunn.

Not based on today AJ. He might have got a lot of the ball but wasn't damaging and didn't impact on the scoreboard. Miller and Jurrah had better games than Newton.

After todays game im hoping we may have another debut next week against essendon.

Liam (dinner plate hands) Jurrah was very exciting. Jordie Mckenzie i was very impressed with kinda reminds a bit of Mitch Robinson.

But also seeing brad miller id have to see he was easily the most dominat key forward and seemed a step above the rest, although when he returns he must play some good footy as it seems we have some tall forwards pushing to get in.

hope jordie gets a taste of seniors deanox worked into the game well and improves each time i have seen him

how many tackles did juice get do you know

no i missed that but i saw him make at least 3-4 good atckles, 1 that got a free kick and two that took his opponent out, even if they got it off in the tackle. not sure how tackles are classified by the stats people. freak might know. his defensive pressure was great.

it is very interesting to see newton be the dominate forward on the ground early playing across half forward, before miller took over in the second half. i wonder if these two players prohibited each other from dominating the whole game? i didnt see newton in the 3rd quarter. did he spend much of it on the ground?

i really think jordie has the potential to be a rookie promotion. he looks a likely type, gets lots of it, disposal is good, moves well in traffic. will be interesting to see how he copes at afl level, but the beauty of the rookie list is that you dont really expect him to be ready for afl for 1-2 years, there is no presure on the lad as he fills out a bit and develops his game.

Not based on today AJ. He might have got a lot of the ball but wasn't damaging and didn't impact on the scoreboard. Miller and Jurrah had better games than Newton.

Newton's whole attitude has done an about turn. Everyone complains he won't chase, tackle, shepherd (all the one percenters) or link up from half back.

To be frank, I feel he went outof the game due to his different game and his overall ground coverage which was never there before.

Newton's whole attitude has done an about turn. Everyone complains he won't chase, tackle, shepherd (all the one percenters) or link up from half back.

To be frank, I feel he went outof the game due to his different game and his overall ground coverage which was never there before.

i agree somewhat, during the second quarter, a number of times he gave off quick handballs, or passed to players in better positions. he also led up the ground, similar to how miller usually plays, i hardly saw miller in the second. he laid tackles in the forward line and in the middle. i think he covered a lot more ground than he does when at mfc, his work rate was up and he did all the team things that have been questioned of him in the past. just needs to work on his kicking for goal., which we know he can do.

I agree that his attitude is so much better than it has been. It's a good sign.

no i missed that but i saw him make at least 3-4 good atckles, 1 that got a free kick and two that took his opponent out, even if they got it off in the tackle. not sure how tackles are classified by the stats people. freak might know. his defensive pressure was great.

it is very interesting to see newton be the dominate forward on the ground early playing across half forward, before miller took over in the second half. i wonder if these two players prohibited each other from dominating the whole game? i didnt see newton in the 3rd quarter. did he spend much of it on the ground?

i really think jordie has the potential to be a rookie promotion. he looks a likely type, gets lots of it, disposal is good, moves well in traffic. will be interesting to see how he copes at afl level, but the beauty of the rookie list is that you dont really expect him to be ready for afl for 1-2 years, there is no presure on the lad as he fills out a bit and develops his game.

two different types of players miller is and always has benn a lead up type where as juice always wanted that big grab as for today juice seemed happy early to run up and down the ground and passed of well to good options i feel bails will be happy with his progress as i dare say he has been told to work on all areas in his game not just kicking

miller was great today good game it puzzles me why he got limited time last week is his passport stamped or did he do something wrong but deserves to be playing ones on that performance

Jurrah was great with the ball which is not news to anyone on these forums but he needs to be more committed to getting to contests and getting into them, he is an opportunist which is why i think he disapears from games and generally doesn't get a heap of the ball. He probably is the closest of the rest of young guys to get a call up despite this, if he does play I imagine he will be one of those very frustrating players to follow.

Could have had even more impact had he held a few marks he was near, needs a bit more strength.

agree about miller bring the pick of our forwards in the end. however we kicked what, 7 goals to 1 in the last? and miller came home with the crowd. jurrah kicked 4, but kicked 3 when the game was still on. and did a couple of other good things, probably wasn't in the game as much as we would want, and although you can't complain about 4 goals from a forward and extra 5-6 touches would have been fantastic. newton was in it early but faded late in the game. probably most important aspect of his game was that even though he kicked 2.2, he wasn't playing deep as a finisher the whole game, and went up the ground to get 12 other possessions.

the main point being, all three put their hand up to be recalled/picked for the dees, while miller will probably get the nod, i think all three are deserving, and personally think that miller, while maybe being the best on the day by a shade, could've been much better, while newton probably did everything he was asked to do, and has done well for 3 weeks now i believe. i dont think another run would hurt miller, with the aim being to get confidence in his kicking, because that is what let him down.

Geez, Jurrah is exciting. I've heard a lot about him (both from reading your posts and he seems to get talked about in every Melb interview on SEN) but haven't seen him play much till today.

What makes it even more exciting is that we drafted him from Collingwoods backyard. He was playing with their 2nd's last year.

Jurrah was great with the ball which is not news to anyone on these forums but he needs to be more committed to getting to contests and getting into them, he is an opportunist which is why i think he disapears from games and generally doesn't get a heap of the ball. He probably is the closest of the rest of young guys to get a call up despite this, if he does play I imagine he will be one of those very frustrating players to follow.

Could have had even more impact had he held a few marks he was near, needs a bit more strength.

l think it is all bonus this year. Never done a pre-season or even any serious training at all before back in Yuendumu (training is only shots from the boundary line here!). Only arrived at the club in mid-Jan.

In Yuendumu was used to being the main man/marking target from nearly all forward entries and often played one out in the 50 (rather than an opportunist) so is perhaps adjusting to the more complex and team oriented systems at Melbourne/Casey. Also used to swing himself on the ball a bit up here which may be a way to bring him into the game when not picking it up down forwards like the 3rd quarter. Is a beautiful runner and kick. But as l say it is all bonus this year and l think he is tracking a long way ahead of where the club had expected at this stage - huge upside and as today showed his best is very very good - increased fitness and strength will only see that grow and grow. Was a pleasure to see him play today on tv our first chance for the year up here in Yuendumu. So very proud (regardless of how he goes). But in football terms growing flashes of the Liam we know that is all class and can dominate games.

l think it is all bonus this year. Never done a pre-season or even any serious training at all before back in Yuendumu (training is only shots from the boundary line here!). Only arrived at the club in mid-Jan.

In Yuendumu was used to being the main man/marking target from nearly all forward entries and often played one out in the 50 (rather than an opportunist) so is perhaps adjusting to the more complex and team oriented systems at Melbourne/Casey. Also used to swing himself on the ball a bit up here which may be a way to bring him into the game when not picking it up down forwards like the 3rd quarter. Is a beautiful runner and kick. But as l say it is all bonus this year and l think he is tracking a long way ahead of where the club had expected at this stage - huge upside and as today showed his best is very very good - increased fitness and strength will only see that grow and grow. Was a pleasure to see him play today on tv our first chance for the year up here in Yuendumu. So very proud (regardless of how he goes). But in football terms growing flashes of the Liam we know that is all class and can dominate games.

You definitely have reason to be proud. Today was his best game and yes, he was out of the game a bit in the third quarter but that was mainly because he spent a bit of time on the bench during that term. I agree with you about the importance of a full pre season because he struggles a bit for fitness late in games. Still, he seems to be improving in that regard and he is going to be a very special player in the AFL - and I don't think it's going to be all that long before he gets a chance.

Remember Liam has not even had a full pre-season. Wait until next year, after a solid pre-season, with 5 or so more kilos of muscle and more fitness, he'll be anything. When he eventually gets his chance at AFL level, he'll be even better, as the quality of delivery from players like Flash will make his job easier. One thing he's having to learn is how to be the second or third forward option. Today, especially in the second half, it was clear that Brad miller was the prime forward target, with Liam playing a support role. Back home, he has always been the number one forward, so he's got a lot to learn about playing a different role. He's still on a steep learning curve, and will have his good and bad days, but overall I reckon the Dees coaches would be rapt with how fast he has come on. At the start of the season, the talk was that he probably would have to wait until next year to play senior footy. I reckon right now that judgment might need to be reconsidered. Although the Dees got Liam with the first pick in the PSD, it's worth remembering that he was not even registered for the national draft. A recruiter from another club recently told me that Liam would have potentially been a top 20 draft pick, had he come through the traditional u 18 squads. Time will tell, but I reckon the Dees have pulled off one of the greatest steals in AFL history. Then again, I'm a one-eyed LJ fan.

First time I have seen Jurrah play. Has excellent skills. Can tackle and has class written all over him. Must have huge hands, took a grab in the first gtr where he ended up clutching the ball in one hand. Is a very penetrating kick - kicked a goal from outside 50 against a strong breeze.

He reminds me of the guy from that movie about an African Warrior being recruited to play in the NBA. He will have a cult following in the Dees colours.

G'day Rudeboy! All Yuendumu proud and happy today with our first chance to see our beloved son! Better and better....

Hi there, Japaljarri, glad the mob up there finally got a chance to see their favourite son in action. As you say, it can only get better from here. Cheers mate.

Great post, spot on. Can't help wondering if fitness is an issue. He had a big impact at the start of the the second quarter and spent the last 10 mins or so on the bench. I think at this stage he may have a limited tank. If he improves he fitness and imposes himself in a few more contests he could be a extremely dangerous player.

At the start of the season, the talk was that he probably would have to wait until next year to play senior footy. I reckon right now that judgment might need to be reconsidered.

Prior to today's game I have heard Josh Mahoney say LJ will (barring injury)get a game this year. After his 4 goals today I dare say it will come sooner rather than later.

what a great weekend for the mfc. three tall forwards have good games in th vfl, including newton looking like he might turn the corner and jurrah having a fantastic 4 goal display, meanwhile, our number one draft ick, a 196cm tall forward, is debuting for the dees on monday.

what a great weekend for the mfc. three tall forwards have good games in th vfl, including newton looking like he might turn the corner and jurrah having a fantastic 4 goal display, meanwhile, our number one draft ick, a 196cm tall forward, is debuting for the dees on monday.

Sure has been good so far. Add the Casey deal to that, and it's even better.

Guest Rojik of the Arctic
Great post, spot on. Can't help wondering if fitness is an issue. He had a big impact at the start of the the second quarter and spent the last 10 mins or so on the bench. I think at this stage he may have a limited tank. If he improves he fitness and imposes himself in a few more contests he could be a extremely dangerous player.

Exactly what I thought watching today. A good pre-season under the belt and he could be anything.