A Match-losing tactic

Watching Rich. v. Port(barracking like mad for the Tigers)today, I noted what I consider to be a mistaken tactic by Mark Williams.

Tredrea was absolutely dominating with 4.2 at the 20 min mark of Q.1(should have been 6.0). He was unstoppable and was going to get a goal every time they entered forward 50.

Williams took him off. There was a close-up on TV and he WASN'T EVEN PANTING!!! I thought at the time.....that's cost you at least a goal. If you lose by less than a goal, that's the reason. They bloody nearly did!

The lesson.....never take a player off the ground when his confidence is on a big high!

At present, coaches' conventional wisdom is,.....when a player kicks a goal.....take him off!

This needs to be reviewed.

It does seem like its a tactic akin to cutting off your nose to spite your pace !! If youre hot...youre hot....stay on til you need a rest..

SO Disappointed for the Toiges !!!! ;)

I think its a valid tactic and we'd actually be remiss to leave those players on the ground.

Leaving the player on the ground only invites a rollercoaster type performance when we should be seeking consistency

I think its a valid tactic and we'd actually be remiss to leave those players on the ground.

Leaving the player on the ground only invites a rollercoaster type performance when we should be seeking consistency

Mid field yes agree,

but forwards, especially KPF's if they are dominating leave them out there. Miller nearly got us over the line v WCE, had have he been taken off after his first we may have been run over the weagles.

Mid field yes agree,

but forwards, especially KPF's if they are dominating leave them out there. Miller nearly got us over the line v WCE, had have he been taken off after his first we may have been run over the weagles.

But forwards are expected to run themselves ragged these days too, with Miller i think his running is his biggest weapon.

Leaving him on for an extended period only throws a spanner into the rotations - do not think these are designed on a whim.

Its seldom everyone plays at their own best week in week out. If youre having a monty of a day surely common sense ( that rarist of commodities ) dictatesyou leave a player out there to be his most dmaging. What sort of inane logic prescribes that you utilise a one size fits all rule to circumstances that are so variant.

Its seldom everyone plays at their own best week in week out. If youre having a monty of a day surely common sense ( that rarist of commodities ) dictatesyou leave a player out there to be his most dmaging. What sort of inane logic prescribes that you utilise a one size fits all rule to circumstances that are so variant.

Hell Bub's lots big words and complexity of phrase in that last sentence. In the interests of being more broadly digested by the mass public could you please be more spartan with the loquacity?

And yes I'm with you, make hay while the sun shines!

"we'd actually be remiss to leave those players on the ground."

I thought you were being sarcastic when I first read this, Enforcer.

But now I think you're actually saying...." it's wise to take players off when they're going well, in case their form slips, and a "rollercoaster"of form results!.You didn't even qualify your statement by considering the player's state of exhaustion.

I'm glad you're not coach!

Leaving him on for an extended period only throws a spanner into the rotations - do not think these are designed on a whim.

And yet taking them off when they kick a goal isn't on a whim?

I agree. Many a time I can recall Green sprinting off the ground after kicking a team-lifting goal.

If "Nuts" Coventry had been required to visit the bench after each of his he'd be lucky to have 500 on the board. I really can't see him sprinting off or charging back on.

The rationale in terms of opportunity and convenience is there but often the easy sprint belies any real necessity for it.

Watching Rich. v. Port(barracking like mad for the Tigers)today, I noted what I consider to be a mistaken tactic by Mark Williams.

Tredrea was absolutely dominating with 4.2 at the 20 min mark of Q.1(should have been 6.0). He was unstoppable and was going to get a goal every time they entered forward 50.

Williams took him off. There was a close-up on TV and he WASN'T EVEN PANTING!!! I thought at the time.....that's cost you at least a goal. If you lose by less than a goal, that's the reason. They bloody nearly did!

The lesson.....never take a player off the ground when his confidence is on a big high!

At present, coaches' conventional wisdom is,.....when a player kicks a goal.....take him off!

This needs to be reviewed.

I actually thought the same thing when he was taken from the ground.... But after listening to an interview with Tredrea this arvo on 5aa I understand a bit more of the reasoning.... Tredrea was saying that he had no problem with being rested whilst "on fire" because at the same point last week he was left on the ground and said he struggled to recover until the half time break....

"Tredders" is no spring chicken and realises that his body (which might I add is looking bigger than ever) can only push hard for so long before needing a few minutes rest on the pine.... He busts his gut presenting himself in the F50 and I for one believe that if he keeps getting these little breaks during the season and remains fit, he will go close to winning the Coleman.... Big call I know! But if Port can actually hit their straps (been playing well within themselves) for the remainder of the season he is in with a big show....

Absolute monster of a bloke and hard to beat one on one.... Is obviously relishing the fact that he is no longer captain and can just focus on what he does best....

Anyway, enough of the banging on about Port Powder....

Go Dees!