Players safe from being poached by the Gold Coast

Freak

With Watts, Maric, Morton, Martin, Jones, Frawley, Garland, Bennell, Mclean, Sylvia, Wonaeamirri, Petterd, Grimes, Blease being our future...which of these players are we most likely to lose to the GC? I was watching Petterd, and I got to thinking that I would hate for him to go to the gold coast. Do people know his contract details? Not in particular petterd, but all of these players. It would be good to compile a list of these players that are in no danger of being poached.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you'd think Ricky would be the most likely, given he's a queenslander...

If we do lose anyone, remember we will be compensated by the AFL with a draft pick which we can use when we choose (ie. what year we choose)

I'm likely to think that most of our players, especially our younger players, are not going to want to leave for the Gold Coast. Our list should be in great shape when this is all going down, unless they know they're not near the best 22 and looking for more opportunities...

Brad Miller may be an interesting one, probably too old, and loves the Melbourne Footy Club. But with Watts in the side, Jurrah starring and possibly John Butcher wearing Red and Blue, at 27 it could be close to the end for him at Melbourne. Yet he could probably get a 3 year contract from the Gold Coast at a good tick.

I really think the Gold Coast is going to struggle to attract players in their prime. Young stars or players who have their best footy behind them are the ones more likely to head up there. If you're 24 why would you want to play the best years of your career surrounded by kids?

Anyway, all a long way off, and will be a very interesting time. Lets hope we don't lose anyone, and if we do they're not a significant loss...

i quite often wonder if that is the only reason the dees are keeping Sylvia on the list as it is there only chance of getting something worthwhile for him ;)

Brad miller is my biggest concern.

We need him for the next 5 years and as soon as JW+LJ+..... start coming through miller will only get better. It would be a sad day if we lost the big #7. He is a chance of being captain up there if he wanted it assuming no stars are enticed up north. tall power forwards are hard to come by and GC17 would jump at getting an established one.

i quite often wonder if that is the only reason the dees are keeping Sylvia on the list as it is there only chance of getting something worthwhile for him ;)

I knew there had to be a reason

Something to hang noto in those 50 - 70 minute periods during a game where he doesn't go near the leather

We need him for the next 5 years and as soon as JW+LJ+..... start coming through miller will only get better. It would be a sad day if we lost the big #7. He is a chance of being captain up there if he wanted it assuming no stars are enticed up north. tall power forwards are hard to come by and GC17 would jump at getting an established one.

Spencer is another Queenslander who I wouldn't want to lose, especially given our ruck predicament.

clubs are starting to re-sign stars like North Melbourne are.. why dont we do the same and hand out some longer contracts to secure our younger players?

Because GC17 are only going to poach uncontracted players at the end of next year, not this year.

We'll sign up/extend the contracts of the players we want to keep next year, no need to rush into things now.

why do people here talk about liam jurrah like he is going to be a long term successful player. he was overlooked in the national draft right? which means clubs didnt rate him in the top 80 players in his draft. odds are stacked heavily against him

why do people here talk about liam jurrah like he is going to be a long term successful player. he was overlooked in the national draft right? which means clubs didnt rate him in the top 80 players in his draft. odds are stacked heavily against him

He wasn't available in the National Draft.

oh okay cool. You've got to ask questions about someones commitment with not being able to get yourself nominated in time. what the hell

nothing but the filth doing a dodgey, got caught and we said thankyou very much!

can't wait until he kicks a winning goal against them!

My thoughts exactly.

Miller has shown played pretty good this year.

oh okay cool. You've got to ask questions about someones commitment with not being able to get yourself nominated in time. what the hell

With jurrah i think we shouldnt expect to much. Half of us havnt even seen him play.

But from what ive herd he does have some real freakish attributes so i am excited to see him in the future.

But i dont have any expections personally, untill i see him play a few games.

Because GC17 are only going to poach uncontracted players at the end of next year, not this year.

We'll sign up/extend the contracts of the players we want to keep next year, no need to rush into things now.

Ahh got ya! That makes more sense then! Good work boys! :)

nothing but the filth doing a dodgey, got caught and we said thankyou very much!

can't wait until he kicks a winning goal against them!

haha love it!

why do people here talk about liam jurrah like he is going to be a long term successful player.

Because barracking for Melbourne is about hope. I think it's safe to say that every Melbourne supporter hopes to see Jurrah starring for the club. So we put it out there, we talk him up and we cross our fingers and hope like bloody hell he makes it.

Personally a forward line boasting Watts, Jurrah, Butcher, Martin, Maric and Wonaemirri gives me goosebumps, but hey, that's just me!

Because barracking for Melbourne is about hope. I think it's safe to say that every Melbourne supporter hopes to see Jurrah starring for the club. So we put it out there, we talk him up and we cross our fingers and hope like bloody hell he makes it.

Personally a forward line boasting Watts, Jurrah, Butcher, Martin, Maric and Wonaemirri gives me goosebumps, but hey, that's just me!

Wow turns out its not just you ;) Im excited, i really cant wait if only i could fast forward 2 years in time.

Wow turns out its not just you ;) Im excited, i really cant wait if only i could fast forward 2 years in time.

not at all, what we are going though now will make the taste of future success all that more sweet. Just hope it doesn't take too long!

Got google maps? Better yet, use the satellite view.

Find Yuendumu.

Now, how much do you reckon the locals are into learning all about bureaucratic hoopla? And how good do you think their connections with the Etihad Stadium offices are?

First you didn't even know he hadn't nominated in time, and said he must not be that good sicne he was overlooked, now you want to question his commitment because of a trivial forms stuff-up.

Weak effort, Freak.

Just get me to draft day 2009, it's all good from there!

Am I the only one who thinks that the Gold Coast experiment should just f' off and die already?

16 clubs are worse off just so that we can add another club to a geographical area where nobody gives two hoots about AFL, and all for the sake of making more money from TV rights.

I hate the AFL! <_<