What's wrong with the Dees at the moment?

james1977

Who is doing well and who do you think is letting Melbourne down? Are there any sections of Melbourne that are doing well eg rucks, centre, back line etc. Is the ball not getting forward (ie the fault of the mid-field)? Or is the problem spread around the ground? Are there any specific skills that the Dees are good at or not so good at.

Come to think about it you're right about the four quarters. Melbourne was only down by nine points against Collingwood at half time then got beaten pretty convincingly in the last half. Do you think Collingwood played well for the whole match and some of Melbourne's players got tired? Or do you think Collingwood were pacing themselves in the first half and then hit the gas after half time? If Melbourne just ran out of gas then I guess that would be a fitness issue. Perhaps there are young developing players that just need more time of rigorous AFL training to lift their fitness levels up. That wouldn't be too bad as it would come in time. But then again if it's the older players getting tired as well (which I suppose makes sense) then their fitness levels, if anything, will probably go down.

Our forward line is our greatest flaw, we lack targets and forward pressure, the ball is released from our forward line way to easily. I believe we should play PJ at full forward because he can create a contest and even if he doesn't mark it he'll bring it to ground and allow a Wonamerri or Maric or Jetta to collect the ball and have a chance at goal. Also Green needs to spend more time in the forward line.

The midfield lacks depth and competitiveness, we need to inject some real class into the midfield ala Travis Johnstone 2006. Bruce provides some of this class but more is needed to create a solid midfield, Morton may develop into a similar role as Johnstone but hopefully more consistant both are good long kicks with lots of poise. Davey's new role i feel is a benefit for the team providing drive from the half back but he needs to be kicking more goals and provide spend some time in the forward line t provided his matc winning spark.

Our backline is developing well and provides great support for our team we missed the likes of Garland yesterday to take pressure off Warnock his injury is a real dissappointment. Our backline will only improve as our forward line and midfield improve releaving pressure off our backline.

We will be a force but sadly it takes time...lots of time

The ball leaves our forward line with such ease often resulting in goals for the other team. Fitness shouldnt be an issue. We've had the longest pre season of all the clubs after such a terrible year last year. If the players werent ready for round one this year they never will be.

If you have a look at the stat recorded in scores that resulted in turnovers Port Adelaide kicked something like 13.8. 86 from them. That is just not good enough it means we coughed the ball up way too often.

All of these complaints were probably warranted in 2007, when we had an experienced team playing under a coach that had been around for 10 seasons.

Now, these complains and wingings just aren't warranted. It's annoying.

We lost several experienced and leadership players last year through retirement/delisting. We replaced them with several 17-19 year olds. We had 4 debutants in round 1. Most of our best 22 are under 25 with less than 100 games experience. Do you really think there is much justification in saying there is something wrong when they are still learning to play as a team?

I thought there were no excuses in 2007. or 2003. or 2001. But now, how can you just cry and winge looking for answers when the answer (singular) is right in front of your eyes? We are rebuilding. Key word. Rebuilding. Hawthorn went through it.

I can tell you what's wrong with the demons right now - we aren't winning games.

I can tell you what's right with the demons right now - they're rebuilding, with several promising first-year players and a superstar in waiting.

Who is doing well and who do you think is letting Melbourne down? Are there any sections of Melbourne that are doing well eg rucks, centre, back line etc. Is the ball not getting forward (ie the fault of the mid-field)? Or is the problem spread around the ground? Are there any specific skills that the Dees are good at or not so good at.

Who is doing well?Davey,Bruce,Morton,Jones,Green,Moloney,Rivers,Martin,Warnock,Petterd,Bennell,Bat

e,Frawleys done alright,Cheney,Meeson did well yesterday with 22 hitouts to brogans 21 and Jetta has been ok.

Who is letting us down? Mclean (even though he played ok yesterday with 21 touches),Sylvia,P.Johnson,Bartam(even though he didnt play that bad), Miller(he kicked 2 goals but didnt take any contested marks) and Dunn. The Dees are not bad at defending but aren`t that good at attacking, we are an defensive side. Although yesterday around the centre stoppages, I don`t know if any of you picked up on this, when we got 1st Poss we didnt just boot it into the forward 50 we looked for someone who was in a better position and handballed it and we looked alot better around the centre stoppages, alot more composed and clean. But still a long way to go from playing 4 quarters of footy.Once again in the 2nd and 3rd term turnovers cost us again, but very good effort in the last to kick 7 goals.

The players that can hold their head up high are Davey (last 2 weeks) and Green.

Bate, Bartram, Morton, Jones, Moloney and Warnock (first 2 weeks) are trying hard.

Bennell, Cheney, Maritn, Frawley and Jetta show promise.

The rest should hang their heads in shame especially Sylvia, P.J, Rivers, McLean and Bruce.

Calabreseboy you're right. Melbourne is rebuilding. They are investing in youth so that the Dees might be a premiership chance in the future. I agree that it probably was a better question to have asked prior to the rebuilding when there were more experienced players. The reason I asked was because I have only started following Melbourne in the last few years (after supporting them was I was really young). I know there are a lot of young players so I don't expect many wins this year. I only asked because I am trying to understand which players are doing well and which aren't (which may be because they're young and developing), which areas Melbourne needs to improve in. I didn't mean it as a criticism of the club/the on field team or any individual players. I understand that they would all be doing their best. One of the reasons I want Melbourne to start winning on the field is so the club can boost its Memberships (plus I want them to win, of coarse!). As you know when teams don't do as well less people go to the games. The club sells less memberships and can't get as many sponsorship dollars. Like me, and other people reading this, you would be concerned about the future of the Melbourne Football Club. It can be a tough call when a club who is in financial trouble starts investing in youth. Whilst I think it is probably the right decision (I'd rather the club finish for example last, second last, 10th, 8th, 1st than finish in the middle for twenty years) it worry's me when the club is losing because I know that the dollars required won't be flowing through to the club. It's easier to have hope that your club will improve when you know the specific areas that need improving and areas that the team will probably improve in the future. For example if the club needs more strength up forward than you can look forward to a younger player developing or a stronger forward being picked up in the draft. If it's skills that is lettng Melbourne down then they can be worked on and improved in time, particularly if it's the developing players whose skills need improving. Just seeing them losing without knowing why or knowing where the improvements will probably be made in the future (like you said the club is re-building) is a bit worrying particularly when we need to win just to attract the membership, ground attendees and sponsorship dollars just to survive.

The players that can hold their head up high are Davey (last 2 weeks) and Green.

Bate, Bartram, Morton, Jones, Moloney and Warnock (first 2 weeks) are trying hard.

The rest should hang their heads in shame especially Sylvia, P.J, Rivers, McLean and Bruce.

Pretty harsh on Rivers there, the blokes coming back from a fair time away injured.

Rivers yesterday gathered 17 disposals,6 marks,3 spoils,2 tackles,2 kicks inside 50 and only had 1 critical error. As for Bruce he was one of our best gathering 29 disposals,8 marks,2 spoils,3 tackles,4 kicks inside 50,2 goals and also only had 1 critical error.

Your kidding me??

Rivers has been trying desperately hard each week and returning from a serious long term injury!! And Bruce was outstanding this week and was very good the week before.

Your kidding me??

Rivers has been trying desperately hard each week and returning from a serious long term injury!! And Bruce was outstanding this week and was very good the week before.

Yeah just explained that to him with their stats against the power.

Your kidding me??

Absolutely, including the games this year Rivers has played 11 senior games since the end of 2006. After being out for so long Rivers is now coming back to a defensive set up that is in some ways foreign to him although he played in small patches in the last couple of years. Gone are Brown, Carroll, Ward, Bizzell etc (and also Wheatley and Whealan injured). Rivers needs time to settle with a young up and coming defensive unit so that the understanding between players grows as well as his own game.

Your kidding me??

Agreed, Rivers and Bruce are trying their ass off at the moment. People just need to give it time and be patient. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Bruce gets plenty of the ball and gives his full effort every week. Why should he hang his head in shame?

very tough on Rivers there bjgc...the bloke has been out of footy for 2 years and is really starting to find his feet again. The game has changed a lot in his time on the sidelines with the speed of it, and not to mention a completely different looking backline since he went down, so he will need time to get used to how they play also

very tough on Rivers there bjgc...the bloke has been out of footy for 2 years and is really starting to find his feet again. The game has changed a lot in his time on the sidelines with the speed of it, and not to mention a completely different looking backline since he went down, so he will need time to get used to how they play also

I agree. Rivers is a great mark and accurate kick which is what we need in defence. Not to mention his diving effort on the goal line yesterday.

We are a very young side with about 3 experienced players. We can run well with other teams at the start of the game and during junk periods of the game, but when the opposition steps it up a gear we don't know how to control the game.

We've got a few good second tier players who can do their job and contribute to the team, however we have nobody to build the team around and that's where we will lack in the future. (Watts could be 1 to build around in the future, but I haven't seen him play yet so I won't comment on him, plus I wouldn't want to give him Travis Johnstone Syndrome and be constantly waiting for the next 8 years for him to perform).

RIVERS and BRUCE? Absurd to suggest this! You must be a YZE MAGIC clone. If Bruce had a few more mates "putting in" like he does EVERY week we'd be a far better footy team. Your knowledge of the game is very limited indeed but you must think you know more than our current coaching staff.

When you are as behind most other teams like we are the players that are doing well are those that 'gut run,' throw themselves around when the ball in is dispute, and are selfless in helping their teammates.

Those that fall into these categories so far are (to varying degrees): Davey, Morton, Bruce, Moloney, Jones, Green, Warnock, Rivers, Martin, Frawley, Bate, Miller, McLean (unfit but has done well in the stoppages - 16 tackles and 16 clearances is very good), McDonald and Batram.

Then there are the kids that show these qualities sparodically, as kids do: Cheney, Jetta, Bennell, and Petterd.

Some have not had enough of an opportunity to see what their input is but Sylvia doesn't run enough and he needs to come off the ground exhausted against the Tigers. His career is passing him by.

james1977 - I'd love to tell you that there is some cure-all to our woes other than patience and giving opportunities to the kids.

But there isn't.

BTW, players can always run harder. That is what I want to see from Sylvia, Jones, McLean, Moloney, Batram, Jetta, Dunn, and Cheney this week.

Guest hangon007

Off field we have a number of supporters that just cant get with the programme. They have no concept or idea what the football club is trying to achieve.

Every week they post the same childish threads make the same ill-informed comments ... they almost sound like ex-Tigers supporters. Now look what "[censored]" they are in. (Common guys were smarter than that!)

If you cant say something positive ... its better to say nothing at all.

Off field we have a number of supporters that just cant get with the programme. They have no concept or idea what the football club is trying to achieve.

Every week they post the same childish threads make the same ill-informed comments ... they almost sound like ex-Tigers supporters. Now look what "[censored]" they are in. (Common guys were smarter than that!)

If you cant say something positive ... its better to say nothing at all.

Word.