Expect a lot from Watts

Wolfmother

I keep reading a lot about Jack Watts not playing much next year due to school, age etc.

I think you will find Watts playing a lot next year due to his skills, he is a great athlete and is good enough to keep up with the men in AFL. Although he is on the skinny side so was Cale who played what 18 games this year. I don't think Watts will not be a key foward which we can look to straight away as I think they will play him on the wing and HHF to learn the speed of the game etc etc whilst giving him small bursts at FF. He may play out of the square with a Newton or Miller next to him.

As for him still being at school, I think this is one huge myth as alot of the players aren't up to standard like Maric rather than school commitments gettting in the way, but the line of he is at school is easy to use. Even if Jack is at school he will still be playing every week either at Casey or MFC, and like I mentioned on another thread most of these guys whilst in year 12 play school football, TAC, State carnival, AIS program plus all the training involved with each program. Being at one professional club is probably nearly easier as they manage everything.

I think Watts will play maybe 16 games next year

I don't expect him to dominate but will play quite a few games... I know what you mean about training sessions but he will attend alot before heading to school. The other full time stuff can be promotional etc etc.

Dangerfield didn't even live in the state and played 4 or 5 for Adel

some people that still go to school have their AFL team as their number 1 priority, however still choose to play school football over their AFL teams reserves...

i dont know about watts...i dont think he will play a lot next year and have said that a lot but maybe (and hopefully) he will prove me wrong

recent examples of this are luke ball and xavier ellis who played all of their school games in year 12 while still being on AFL lists.

I don't expect him to dominate but will play quite a few games... I know what you mean about training sessions but he will attend alot before heading to school. The other full time stuff can be promotional etc etc.

Dangerfield didn't even live in the state and played 4 or 5 for Adel

Dangerfield did play a few games for the Crows, but only when it fit in with his schooling & holidays apparently. And he was good enough to play as much as Cale did in 08 if he didn't have the school / living in Geelong issue.

He'll be up there, probably top 3, in Rising Star voting.

Watts is good enough to play 2 games next year, but missing training sessions for school & body size will hold him back a bit. I think 5-10 games is a realistic expectation. Obviously it won't be like travelling between Geelong & Adelaide, but I still expect him to be held back by his situation.

(NB. on Dangerfield... he was my sister's opposite number as school captain at their high school down in Geelong & he's got a good head on his shoulders, should go very far even if he is a bit of smart arse. Travel & training commitments meant he missed a bit of school time, but he managed to make an appearance at his school's final assembly where he made the comment along the lines of "Like most of us, I'm really keen to get out into the real world & continue on my chosen career path, even though I've been earning more than all the teachers here this year, just to be a student...")

[Edit: 22 games, not 2]

Jack Watts goes to an APS school. APS first eighteen games are on Friday afternoon, at least they were when I was an APS student. There is considerable peer pressure in the APS and schools of the like for students to play for the school. I would not be averse to Watts plaing for BGS on Friday afternoons and then for Casey/Melbourne on Sunday afternoons.

Dangerfield did play a few games for the Crows, but only when it fit in with his schooling & holidays apparently. And he was good enough to play as much as Cale did in 08 if he didn't have the school / living in Geelong issue.

He'll be up there, probably top 3, in Rising Star voting.

Watts is good enough to play 2 games next year, but missing training sessions for school & body size will hold him back a bit. I think 5-10 games is a realistic expectation. Obviously it won't be like travelling between Geelong & Adelaide, but I still expect him to be held back by his situation.

(NB. on Dangerfield... he was my sister's opposite number as school captain at their high school down in Geelong & he's got a good head on his shoulders, should go very far even if he is a bit of smart arse. Travel & training commitments meant he missed a bit of school time, but he managed to make an appearance at his school's final assembly where he made the comment along the lines of "Like most of us, I'm really keen to get out into the real world & continue on my chosen career path, even though I've been earning more than all the teachers here this year, just to be a student...")

Love it lol

Nail on the head there shaft.

I also think he is good enough to play 2 games! :lol: (20?)

I would suggest what we won't see is a string of games except maybe early in the season and/or at the end. He will most likely play a few, rest a few (allowing for schooling etc), play a couple - rest, etc,etc. I think everyone would agree that he is up to the standard to walk straight into any side, so the question is what impact are non-football commitments going to have on him?

Therefore any more then 5-10 games is a bonus. I would expect him to play rd 1 if he is ready. He would be worth 5,000 extra bums on seats, if he plays well in the nab cup and we win a or a couple of games in the preseason. I wonder how many new/fringe members this would turn into!

Jack Watts goes to an APS school. APS first eighteen games are on Friday afternoon, at least they were when I was an APS student. There is considerable peer pressure in the APS and schools of the like for students to play for the school. I would not be averse to Watts plaing for BGS on Friday afternoons and then for Casey/Melbourne on Sunday afternoons.

Correct.

He also has Year 12 responsibilities. However I cant see MFC wanting Watts to be playing an APS game on the Friday, two days before an AFL game. Many of the APS games are Saturday as well.

I'll take what comes with Watts. On ability he would be worth 22 games and finals. I think they will give him a taste but do sensitively given his age, his pressures etc.

I think we need to be patient.

almost every single APS game is played on a saturday...in fact i think BGS only had one game last year that was played on a friday.

what i said on a previous post is that for Jack Watts, no doubt, MFC games will be his priority, but he will probably play for school over Casey or Casey reserves.

that is, if he gets selected to play for the dees, he will play, but when he gets dropped, he will probably go back to school games

No Need To Push Him to Quick. Don't forget his Body is still growing. We are not challenging for september this year i would think (Hope Ime wrong) But Jack will play when he is ready. I would prefer him to Bulk up a bit Before he Plays too much. Sure give him a run off the bench sporadically to sense the vibe at the G but let's get him right. Like Hawthorn did with players in the eighties.

I'll take what comes with Watts. On ability he would be worth 22 games and finals. I think they will give him a taste but do sensitively given his age, his pressures etc.

I think we need to be patient.

Bang on there money Rhino......

The kid has the talent but lets not heap the pressure on him any more than there already is. He will pay what he plays and we will love every bit of it, but I can't see it being all that much.

Hopefully he (as well as the others) will shine but Rhino is right, we need to be patient with our babies!!!

Based on the fact we drafted two 17 year-olds who are still in high school with our first two picks I think its fair to assume finals aren't our goal this year, the club is obviously being patient and working to a long term plan. I hope they don't wear the kids out though

Based on the fact we drafted two 17 year-olds who are still in high school with our first two picks I think its fair to assume finals aren't our goal this year.

I dont think so.

So should we assume that any Club that takes a No 1 draft pick that is 17 to 18 is not trying to make the finals?

If we are 4 wins from six games this year (and I did say if), should we starting cashing in our chips to miss out on the finals?

In truth every Club is aiming at success (with finals being at an early part of it) but are realistic to know the difficulty in achieving it and what is required to get there. No sensible team blocks finals out in January

I think midway through last year we were resigned to not making finals this year, which is why we started to banish a few senior players to the reserves, ala White and Yze.

While I'm hoping for success this year, and I'd assume the club is too, realistically its probably not going to happen.

I think midway through last year we were resigned to not making finals this year, which is why we started to banish a few senior players to the reserves, ala White and Yze.

I think with a new coach and a clean out of senior NQR, a long list of pre season injuries and I think we were realistically gone before the ball was bounced. White yes, Yze was gone years before that.

While I'm hoping for success this year, and I'd assume the club is too, realistically its probably not going to happen.

I think thats right but if the improvement is there then they wont hold it back.

I think thats right but if the improvement is there then they wont hold it back.

I know a bit has changed, but the core group is not that different from that who was touted as the top vic side not that long ago. If our snr players are fit and play well, we will be able to match it with many. a few early wins/upsets and the playing group will fancy themselves.

almost every single APS game is played on a saturday...in fact i think BGS only had one game last year that was played on a friday.

Is that correct, Nugget? Then it must have changed since I was at CGS, and that was a long time ago. First team matches were on Friday afternoons; all of the other plebs, including me, had to play on Saturdays. Both of my kids went to CGS as well and I had to ferry them around on Saturdays, but they were never going to be in the firsts either.

Wasn't putting any pressure on Watts but I think he will play alot of games. Not at FF dominating but learning the roles playing on the wing HFF etc etc. If he doesn't play I won't be upset but I think he has the skills to fit into the 22 so you should play him unless his body needs a rest

I know a bit has changed, but the core group is not that different from that who was touted as the top vic side not that long ago.

Their is very little of the core group left from the end of 2006. MFC have turned over more than 1/2 its senior list in that time and has moved on a number of "big" or established names in that time. Its miles different now and what our core group is will be much different at the end of 2009 to the start of 2009.

If our snr players are fit and play well, we will be able to match it with many. a few early wins/upsets and the playing group will fancy themselves.

The improvement is not going to come from our senior players of which there are few left and many are coming to the end of their careers. Their contributions are required but I know what they can give and it will only carry us so far.Its not enough. I am looking at the prospect of many of the younger group to finally step and make a mark for themselves. For starters, Sylvia, McLean, Bate and Dunn plus a couple of the later group rising to the occassion. Oh and no injuries would really help too.

Is that correct, Nugget? Then it must have changed since I was at CGS, and that was a long time ago. First team matches were on Friday afternoons; all of the other plebs, including me, had to play on Saturdays. Both of my kids went to CGS as well and I had to ferry them around on Saturdays, but they were never going to be in the firsts either.

sadly it has changed. the only 1st sport that remains on a friday night is cricket. 1st games (unless in special circumstances) are all drawn at 2:00 on Saturday for football. They plat the 10A's and then the 2's as curtain raisers. It worked out well this year because Melbourne always played on Sunday and I could therefore watch school footy on sat and then the dees on sunday