TRAINING 15/12/08

Demonland

Why?

In terms of playing games at Casey it would mean a smaller capacity stadium would need to be built there (around 20,000 capacity). All of the economics indicates the benefits of filling smaller stadiums. There is still a long way to go before any of this would even be considered.

Yes, Melbourne are Melbourne but they cannot rely on just being the MCG team. There just aren't enough supporters and teams need these supporters to survive and grow. It gets done to death but Casey is rapidly expanding with an above average level of kids and young people, just the supporters that Melbourne need.

On Casey Fields itself it is a new world-class facility with room to grow and expand. Compare it with Punt Road Oval which is in a prime location but is severely limited by space.

A lot of Melbourne-based people whinge about having to drive down to Cranbourne, but it's only about 40 minutes from the eastern suburbs with almost no traffic.

WE made the G what it is Clint. Where you there last QB when the filth cheer squad held up their "get off our ground" sign? You may want to surrender OUR ground to them, I DON'T! And if we p off to Casey that'll be exactly what we're doing.

40 minutes from which eastern suburb? Richmond or Dandenong? I DON'T BARRACK FOR CASEY, I'M MELBOURNE! Why not play home games in Bendigo, could it be you don't live out that way. It's already an effort to get to the G, I won't be travelling an extra hour. If 20,000 go to games out there it'll hardly be traffic free. This would limit our future supporter base rather than improve it. We'd be turning our back on over half the city.

I have a sneaking suspicion that those who support playing way the f out there live out that way already. The revised plan for Melbournes urban sprawl makes Werribee to Deer Park the biggest growth corridor by far but I don't hear anyone wanting to head out there, why not?

I couldn't give a RA if Casey has the best facilities in the world, it's in the middle of butt fuch nowhere, that's why it's surrounded by open space.

I support training out there and trying to connect with the community but if we play games out there we're turning our back on our history, our brand and a fair whack of our supporters.

WE made the G what it is Clint.

That was decades ago. A pragmatic and strategic approach based on contemporary and future circumstances is what is now required.

I have a sneaking suspicion that those who support playing way the f out there live out that way already. The revised plan for Melbournes urban sprawl makes Werribee to Deer Park the biggest growth corridor by far but I don't hear anyone wanting to head out there, why not?

You have to choose one!

Casey Council is prepared to work with MFC, and enter into a long term partnership.

I don’t hear other Councils offering a similar arrangement, nor do they have the facilities.

I couldn't give a RA if Casey has the best facilities in the world, it's in the middle of butt fuch nowhere, that's why it's surrounded by open space.

Casey Fields is surrounded by as yet undeveloped rural land – it will be surrounded by urban development, and all of the farmland visible in the photos will have housing on it, in 5 years.

I support training out there and trying to connect with the community but if we play games out there we're turning our back on our history, our brand and a fair whack of our supporters.

It would only be a few matches a year, against low-crowd drawing clubs like Western Sydney, Port Adelaide, Freo and Gold Coast.

MFC has played some of its matches at the Gabba and Canberra - I reckon Casey Fields is a little bit closer!

As always, casey scorp has some great points.

Look, as an MCC memeber I would hate to see the MFC play a home game away from the G. But we already do.

I took my girlfriend to the game in Canberra and it was a strange feeling explaining to her that this was a game we sent up here because we are flat broke.

Personally, I would prefer to see MFC play in front of a packed 20000 (and make some serious money, it is extremely lucrative to pack out a 20000 stadium if the rent is low and you can sell the advertising) at Casey than a neutral Canberra or hostile SCG or Gabba.

It might never happen, because the AFL at the minute see it as a step backwards, but we should push for it because it is a chance for us to get ahead and not just survive.

WE made the G what it is Clint. Where you there last QB when the filth cheer squad held up their "get off our ground" sign? You may want to surrender OUR ground to them, I DON'T! And if we p off to Casey that'll be exactly what we're doing...

I thought I responded to this last night, it must not have worked for some reason.

Anyways, caseyscorp pretty much sums it up.

Guest fatty
That was decades ago. A pragmatic and strategic approach based on contemporary and future circumstances is what is now required.

Casey Fields is surrounded by as yet undeveloped rural land – it will be surrounded by urban development, and all of the farmland visible in the photos will have housing on it, in 5 years.

Playing games at Cranbourne?

Sounds like Waverley only 40 years later and 40km further.

Growth corridors, a ground for the people, promised train networks, are all the reasons why VFL Park was built in Mulgrave - which was just a paddock in the 60s also.

I'm all for building an MFC training base out there, but to build a 20,000 seat stadium to play AFL games there is not for me. Good luck to the folks that are willing to sit in traffic to get there & back but I won't be one of them. Anyone, who has tried to exit VFL Park on game-day knows exactly what I'm talking about.

The concept is not visionary as its been done before and failed. If it does happen, hopefully we can learn from the experience of the biggest white elephant in the history of Australian sport.

As far as everything else that you're selling then, yes, bring it on!!!

Absolutely Monta!

I'd much rather do the 3.5 hours round trip to Casey (which is what it took me for the North match) than go to a game at Etihad Stadium, even on TV it looks like a rubbish ground.

not working for me...

Not working for me and I took the photos but then again, it was the first time I ever used the camera, I thought it focussed automatically and I wasn't figuring on it being a dark, gloomy morning with thick cloud cover and poor lighting. Anyway, I come from the impressionist school of photography. Van Gogh and Matisse for me. That's why everything's so blurry (although I did get Redleg's balding head pretty much spot on).

Apologies for missing out on Brent Moloney. I think he might have trimmed down a bit since last year.

If you want clear photos, George (whose camera was four times the size of the one I was using and looked pretty much state of the art) has done a good job over at Demonology and he's also put together a nice report (see here). We both got more or less the same guided tour.

How did you get the guided tour?

cheers

Well, it was a bit like this ...

Unlike the scene at Punt Road today where they had 2,000 rabid Tiger fans watching training, there were about 20 Demon supporters at CF on Monday. This made it east for CC to find us there and for us to find him. It helped that he knew Redleg and one or two others in our small group and he just volunteered to take us around on the tour. He's a terrific bloke and doing a fantastic job for the club.

I doubt we would have received the same treatment if we'd lobbed up at Punt Road this morning! :rolleyes:

Guest melbman

Unlike the scene at Punt Road today where they had 2,000 rabid Tiger fans watching training, there were about 20 Demon supporters at CF on Monday. This made it east for CC to find us there and for us to find him. It helped that he knew Redleg and one or two others in our small group and he just volunteered to take us around on the tour. He's a terrific bloke and doing a fantastic job for the club.

I doubt we would have received the same treatment if we'd lobbed up at Punt Road this morning! :rolleyes:

Well I have to say maximum envy here :lol:

Been there a couple of times and CC wasn't there on either occasion but next time I'm there I'll gather all around me and hit him up

cheers for that

That's why everything's so blurry (although I did get Redleg's balding head pretty much spot on).

I didn't realize the back of me was that ugly. I suppose given what I see of the front of me in a mirror I shouldn't be too surprized.

Chris had arranged to give me a tour next time I came out there, while we were discussing Casey some weeks before.

Don't expect him to be a tour guide, he does have a job to do, which he does very well.