Dees keen but O’Keefe too expensive

Demon_Tingles

$450k a year for 4 years and you would think we would almost lock him in.

That made my day, if Marc Murphy is available there is our man... Go and get him Demons, just don't take that powerpoint presentation or else he's no chance.

Marc Murphy would be fantastic for our club but i doubt he will change clubs.

Fantastic young player, no way over rated

We could make an offer to him just to drive his price up for carltank. There is no way they would let him go, they would have to match any offer made to him.

Of course they would have no problem matching any offer has they have no salary cap issues!!!!!!!!!!

Guest happyharry

We must strategically force Carltons hand .... we must make them pay top $$$$$ for another player.

We must, must push them closer to their TPP otherwise next year we could see our-self if the "Warnock-Bulldust" saga all over again.

I would say we have 0% chance of getting Murphy ... However, we must make blues pay the price.

Dont worry yourself with how good he is ... just make sure they pay top price for him. Its these little things that could make all the difference in a few years time.

I would love Melbourne to steal Murphy from the Visy Blues! It would make my year!

Should chase him hard. If not interested! O'Keefe and Cousin's should be looked at for there experience and leadership.

Would prefer Cousin's over O'keefe. Absolute gun! Can harden our midfield. And will be cheap!

I think we must have a fair dinkum crack at ROK. While it is unlikely he will agree to our terms, i think we need to be seen to be aggressive. Nothing wrong with doing it privately, and not through the media, but give him the chance to think about us.

Murphey is a gem, but wont move from the blues!

Guest calemorton=gun

I havent even thought murphy a realistic option for us but honestly he is an absolute gun no doubt in my mind he will win a brownlow. Id go for him ahead of ROK but I would be absolutly stoked how many years have we missed out on getting a big name player? Im sick of the dissapointment PLEASE Melboune move heaven and earth to get one of these guns!

If we're going to make a big money play for an uncontracted player, let's not forget that Marc Murphy of Carlton has reportedly not signed on yet. Why not him?

I got pummelled into submission two days ago with regard to Marc Murphy's kicking efficiency. Personally, if he made himself available for the PSD, he's our man. Perfect fit for the blueprint too - age wise. Looking forward to Neita3000's comments on this one.......

It would certainly be pleasing to get one back on Carlton...fingers crossed anyway

Not a chance he will leave Carlton. He is a Carlton man. As for O'Keefe we may be a sniff but if not chase him hard and let people know so it at least looks like we are interseted in bringing players to our club. Let people know we are serious for 2009.

Too expensive hey?

Look at the contracts given to the likes of Yze, White, Johnstone and Bruce.

But we won't cough up for O'Keefe?

We have the worst forward line in the AFL, it is terrible.

This is a chance to bolster it, if we dont we are a joke.

this may be really silly but im wandering if it were any good getting ROK or Cous to melbourne for insurance purposes. In 2009 either will most likely have a good year and we have got them for nothing. When next years trade comes round could we trade them for a national draft pick (ie only give them 1 year contract). That way we may only get a round 4 or 5 pick (as clubs are holding them) but thats better than a pre season draft pick. I may be off my head tho

Have I suddenly visited Noddyland ?

Murphy shows enough of a cool head to knock back Brisbane at 17 years of age even though he was wooed by such footy dignitaries as Voss and Brown, et al, for a Brisbane Lions Father/Son selection, yet because he's not presently completely happy with his current contract offer he'd consider walking into the PSD to become a Melbourne player, even though the [censored] he currently plays for are gathering momentum towards Finals footy whilst we're crud ?

He'd rather be a diabetic in a candy store than come to us.

this may be really silly but im wandering if it were any good getting ROK or Cous to melbourne for insurance purposes. In 2009 either will most likely have a good year and we have got them for nothing. When next years trade comes round could we trade them for a national draft pick (ie only give them 1 year contract). That way we may only get a round 4 or 5 pick (as clubs are holding them) but thats better than a pre season draft pick. I may be off my head tho

More than likely. I lost you when you started, "this must be really silly but im wandering..." - you certainly 'wandered' into unchartered territory in this case (ie. 1 year contract);).

Have I suddenly visited Noddyland ?

Murphy shows enough of a cool head to knock back Brisbane at 17 years of age even though he was wooed by such footy dignitaries as Voss and Brown, et al, for a Brisbane Lions Father/Son selection, yet because he's not presently completely happy with his current contract offer he'd consider walking into the PSD to become a Melbourne player, even though the [censored] he currently plays for are gathering momentum towards Finals footy whilst we're crud ?

He'd rather be a diabetic in a candy store than come to us.

:lol:

Yes, he did show maturity and a cool head, but he wanted to remain in Melbourne and to stay close to his family. He was looking forward to being coached under Pagan too at the time.

Yet it does seem strange that by mid Oct, Carlton have still not reportedly signed their No.1 draft pick from 2005. Something has definitely happened because Carlton were close to signing and finalising his contract when they were trying to get Fev's signature. Add to that securing Warnock in the trade period....suddenly the salary cap? They've reportedly backed off O'Keefe, why? Salary Cap?

Murphy has a good head on his shoulders, he's in business. He and his manager would know his market value. You're probably right maybe he is not happy with his offer from Carlton...at all? Finished 2nd in their B&F to Judd, maybe there is a squeeze going on.

Murphy will do what is best for himself Hannabal. Much like he did back in 2005 and said no to the Lions after they'd won 3 premierships and went to a crud team in Carlton full of has beens like Digby Morrell. Do you think history repeats itself?

Who knows, we may have more candy available for him!?

:lol:

Yes, he did show maturity and a cool head, but he wanted to remain in Melbourne and to stay close to his family. He was looking forward to being coached under Pagan too at the time.

Yet it does seem strange that by mid Oct, Carlton have still not reportedly signed their No.1 draft pick from 2005. Something has definitely happened because Carlton were close to signing and finalising his contract when they were trying to get Fev's signature. Add to that securing Warnock in the trade period....suddenly the salary cap? They've reportedly backed off O'Keefe, why? Salary Cap?

Murphy has a good head on his shoulders, he's in business. He and his manager would know his market value. You're probably right maybe he is not happy with his offer from Carlton...at all? Finished 2nd in their B&F to Judd, maybe there is a squeeze going on.

Murphy will do what is best for himself Hannabal. Much like he did back in 2005 and said no to the Lions after they'd won 3 premierships and went to a crud team in Carlton full of has beens like Digby Morrell. Do you think history repeats itself?

Who knows, we may have more candy available for him!?

Yeah, yeah, yeah.

We'll see.

H, surely that (your post) is kinda not relevant...we cannot control his behaviour; we can try to get him. Would you prefer that we give up because no-one wants to play with us and go and sulk? You speak stubbornly and passionately about the club getting f!cking nasty and clever and ruthless (like a ferret!)- isn't this an opportunity to throw a bucket of cash at a young man and try to get him - just like our opponents have and you've been so envious of? Just because it is unlikely, who cares. This is a chance to (a) lure a young man who can kick and (B) push up carlton's salary cap pressures.

I think in a different frame of mind, I'd see you driving up to MM's place with a dump-truck full of money grinning like the joker.

H, surely that (your post) is kinda not relevant...we cannot control his behaviour; we can try to get him. Would you prefer that we give up because no-one wants to play with us and go and sulk? You speak stubbornly and passionately about the club getting f!cking nasty and clever and ruthless (like a ferret!)- isn't this an opportunity to throw a bucket of cash at a young man and try to get him - just like our opponents have and you've been so envious of? Just because it is unlikely, who cares. This is a chance to (a) lure a young man who can kick and (B) push up carlton's salary cap pressures.

I think in a different frame of mind, I'd see you driving up to MM's place with a dump-truck full of money grinning like the joker.

We don't have a "bucket of cash". We're not even in a position to lure a 28 year old AA forward home from interstate due to salary cap pressures.

I'm a conservative by nature. If it's a choice between 'pie in the sky' or 'healthy dose of realism', I'll usually adopt the latter. And it's not a case of giving up. We need to develop our own through the National Draft and Rookie List. We haven't had enough picks in either for far too long.

Anyone notice how Hawthorn delisted a 96 gamer who's in their leadership group ? At Melbourne the same player would have been retained and gone on to play 150. We don't turn our list over nearly enough. We usually don't have enough picks in the draft. We keep Ward, Godfrey, Luke Williams, Nicholson, Smith, Lamb, Ferguson, Armstrong, etc, etc for far too long.

Bell is just becoming another example. Lyon spoke of list cloggers. We're the experts.