DEMON SUMMIT 2008

H_T

Who said anything about a white Flag!! Far from it. I Believe we need to aim at getting 50,000 at the MCG against interstate clubs & i believe it can be done with Hard work. The MCG is not hard to get to via PT. Why build a Stadium in the sticks to make money. We need to be more Pro active with the one we have already got. Yes one must spend money to make money i totally agree, but i don't agree with spending when a wonderful under utilized assett already exists.

I have pulled this across from the casey thread as it has prompted a thought/idea.

If the stadium deal we get with the MCC is not good enough to generate desired gate income, is there anything the MFC could engage itself in to utilize the MCG in other ways, that could then be negotiated to subsidise the stadium deal?

Ridiculous examples might be; The MFC in association with the MCC sponsors concerts, business conferences, APEC summit... etc etc.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have pulled this across from the casey thread as it has prompted a thought/idea.

If the stadium deal we get with the MCC is not good enough to generate desired gate income, is there anything the MFC could engage itself in to utilize the MCG in other ways, that could then be negotiated to subsidise the stadium deal?

Ridiculous examples might be; The MFC in association with the MCC sponsors concerts, business conferences, APEC summit... etc etc.

Now you are talking. This is what i am trying to get across. The use of the MCG and getting a better deal out of it should be the Number 1 priority for sunday's Summit. It is a beautiful sleeping Giant for the MFC that is Central to us all. Casey should never be more than a SUMMER Training Base.

Now you are talking. This is what i am trying to get across. The use of the MCG and getting a better deal out of it should be the Number 1 priority for sunday's Summit. It is a beautiful sleeping Giant for the MFC that is Central to us all. Casey should never be more than a SUMMER Training Base.

:)

Your hitting the right keys there WYL: -

Demons plan to turn MCG into elite facility

This might be a silly idea but how about the creation of a 'celebrity' supporter group. There are quite a few well-known celebrities that support the MFC. It could be called:

'STARS OF MELBOURNE'

Not simply celebrites giving money to the club, but rather a kind of Coterie group. They could hold events, dinners, entertainment nights etc where people could pay to attend. It could almost act as a kind of a business networking venture to sponsors or anyone inclined to become involved with the club. At the very least such a group would be very much in the public sphere and would raise our profile.

Just a thought.

Some great ideas coming through here guys. Would love to turn a certain part of the ground red and blue and really create a home-ground advantage and passion amongst the supporters. We might be stereotyped as toffs but i know a lot of MFC supporters that are madly passionate just like me and would love to sit together with this type of supporter and scream their lungs out.

Also it would probably better to keep the race on the Northern Stand side as there are hardly any MFC fans in the Southern Stand.

Also it would probably better to keep the race on the Northern Stand side as there are hardly any MFC fans in the Southern Stand.

There is a Melbourne members reserved seat area on the flank of the the Southern Stand (Punt Road end) next to the AFL Members Reserve.

If we had a permanent changing room in the Southern stand with our own race, that would be awesome if we could paint the seats in the bays around it Red and Blue

FYI the players were offered a choice of this( the rooms where the MFC supporter tiles were put on the wall) or the brand new (and presumably superior) facilities in the new northern stand when the redevelopment was completed. The Admin chose the latter.

If anyone here (milrocks at least?) is attending the summit could you please raise establishing a tribute or perpetual trophy in Tiger Ridley's name following todays sad new of his passing away.

FYI the players were offered a choice of this( the rooms where the MFC supporter tiles were put on the wall) or the brand new (and presumably superior) facilities in the new northern stand when the redevelopment was completed. The Admin chose the latter.

If the players were offered a choice why did the admin make the decision? Do you mean that the Club was offered a choice? Are you suggesting the players wanted to be in the Southern?

Bright and early start to Sunday's Summit at the G, 8:15am registration. "A New Dawn" for the club. :)

I am so hoping this Summit is a huge success. Suck in the air at the 'G. It must be our home. Sure other Clubs & Bodies will try to push us around but Jimma & Cameron Schwabb Have got to stand firm. This is our line in the sand Moment.

Bright and early start to Sunday's Summit at the G, 8:15am registration. "A New Dawn" for the club. :)

8 o'clock on a bloody Sunday... I like to know who's bright idea that was !!! :huh:

9 would have been much more civilised ;)

9AM on a Sunday isn't civilised :P

compared to 8 its downright evolutionary!! lol.. ah well..no Sunday lay in :(

I'll be there and I'm coming with an open mind and a few ideas (perhaps someone could make a list on a point by point basis of the ideas raised on this thread so that they can be presented tomorrow morning).

One of the points that I will be making is that the club has not gotten the most out of its various supporter groups and how a better effort should be made in this area. An example I've been discussing with George from Demonology is the utter frustration we have had over the past two years in organising functions for our Demonland/Demonology Supporters Group. We have had terrific support from our sponsored players over the years - Clint Bartram has been superb giving up his time both in 2007 and 2008 but it's hard to grow the group when you come up against a brick wall and red tape. We have about 25 members but I can't see why we can't build our sponsorship to around 80 to 100 like the Richmond internet supporters who have superb access to club officials for their events and functions. Since the object is to engender club spirit among supporters, inform members and raise funds for the group, I can't see why the club doesn't support us more strongly.

If anyone's going to be there tomorrow morning and agree with the above, I'd appreciate your moral and verbal support if you're around when I raise this.

Otherwise, I hope the morning doesn't become a wankfest like the federal government's 2020 effort earlier this year. The morning should be about what we can do to help the club and not just a sit and chat, getting information and going home and feeling good. What we need to do is get a hell of a lot of committment from Melbourne people. On that subject, I was lucky enough this week to attend a fund raiser where the keynote speaker was Sir Bob Geldof. He ended his fantastic speech with this quote from W. H. Murray on Commitment and Providence which I think might be the cornerstone to our football team's survival in these difficult times (apologies for comparing the plight of a football club with the horrors of famine and war in other parts of the planet):

Until one is committed, there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back, always ineffectiveness. Concerning all acts of initiative (and creation), there is one elementary truth the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans: that the moment one definitely commits oneself, then providence moves too. A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one's favor all manner of unforeseen incidents, meetings and material assistance, which no man could have dreamt would have come his way. I learned a deep respect for one of Goethe's couplets:

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it.

Boldness has genius, power and magic in it!"

I'll be there and I'm coming with an open mind and a few ideas (perhaps someone could make a list on a point by point basis of the ideas raised on this thread so that they can be presented tomorrow morning).

One of the points that I will be making is that the club has not gotten the most out of its various supporter groups and how a better effort should be made in this area. An example I've been discussing with George from Demonology is the utter frustration we have had over the past two years in organising functions for our Demonland/Demonology Supporters Group. We have had terrific support from our sponsored players over the years - Clint Bartram has been superb giving up his time both in 2007 and 2008 but it's hard to grow the group when you come up against a brick wall and red tape. We have about 25 members but I can't see why we can't build our sponsorship to around 80 to 100 like the Richmond internet supporters who have superb access to club officials for their events and functions. Since the object is to engender club spirit among supporters, inform members and raise funds for the group, I can't see why the club doesn't support us more strongly.

If anyone's going to be there tomorrow morning and agree with the above, I'd appreciate your moral and verbal support if you're around when I raise this.

I'll back you WJ. Summarising notes for the Summit, with everyones ideas. Good moving quote by Geldof too.

So we're getting split up into groups tomorrow. Does anyone know anything else?

How long will it go for? Still not sure if I'll be able to go..

Will go until lunch. Its my understanding that everyone will get a chance to speak within their groups. They will plan on breaking up groups for different topics along with a facilitator to run each workshop, we'll see anyway.

You don't need to attend the summit to suggest ideas.

But that's why Jimmy has selected those with ideas that may help the club and hence invited them to the summit. Unless of course you are suggesting to forward ideas to the club via email.

Looks like the clique were a 'done deal'.

Funny thing about this forum is that all of the key posters are MCC members. And an arrogant, know-all bunch, a lot of them are.

You city folk, and particularly you MCC know-alls, decide what you really want. Maintain your clique, or maintain your club!

Really??

Indeed, we are all just supporters, and I love every one of you Demons. I'm not attempting to promote negativity here, just discussion.

I do not have any ready answers to the issues I raise, I am not slandering anyone, and believe it or not, I don't have a problem with MCC or MCC/MFC members.

Well then. How would you like the eggs on your face then Dees Dayz? Fried or scrambled?! :wacko:

How about you suggest something new for the Summit next time......fool

Well then. How would you like the eggs on your face then Dees Dayz? Fried or scrambled?! :wacko:

How about you suggest something new for the Summit next time......fool

Any way they come thanks HT. :lol:

Oh, by the way, some of the suggestions I advocated on these boards did get raised at the summit, some by you. Thanks again. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Just received an email from the club regarding the action items the club will be looking to take in relation to the ideas from the SUMMIT a couple of weeks back. Titled, "Putting your ideas to work". It outlines Youth Summit, Demon Heartland membership - m'ships that enable members to 'sponsor' children who don't normally get to attend AFL games, open training sessions at Casey for schools & community groups, better accessibility to the club for members starting with the AGM. Also the fact they have had several positive meetings with people offering services or possible partnership leads, ie sponsors.

The SUMMIT was worthwhile!