Permission to train list

PeterJames

With pre season training beginning tomorow i heard that Daniel Hughes has been asked to do a pre season with us. After missing the whole season with a groin operation. I hear they are fairly keen on him down there. (heard from people at sandy)

Do we know anyone else that is going to be training with us?

Usually some of the delisted players also keep training with to.

With pre season training beginning tomorow i heard that Daniel Hughes has been asked to do a pre season with us. After missing the whole season with a groin operation. I hear they are fairly keen on him down there. (heard from people at sandy)

Haaaang on...

Is this the same Hughes who was a rookie, then a second year rookie, then dropped from the list after sustaining an injury? If so, that's an interesting call. Perhaps a PS pick there for a 21 year old... a la Big Stef.

While we're at it, where's Neaves gotten to? Oh... and has anyone seen Van Sheik or whatever his name was?

I allways saw a talented kid when I saw young Hughes, skinny, but skilled, in the air, running & below his knees.

Because obviously the club sees something in him that you clearly can not

It's a tad annoying that you come on this site and make smart comments on issues that you clearly don't understand as a non-supporter of the club. Not the first time you've done it. Anyway, end rant.

Dappa's already covered why this is odd, but I'll go over it anyway. Short story is Hughes already spent two injury plagued years on our rookie list in 05/06 and then after showing stuff all and being delisted, spent 07 on the Sandringham list not getting on the park due to injury.

To me, and probably most others around here, having him train with us (presumably with a view to monitor him for draft purposes) would be flogging a horse that well and truly died about three years ago.

It's a tad annoying that you come on this site and make smart comments on issues that you clearly don't understand as a non-supporter of the club. Not the first time you've done it. Anyway, end rant.

Dappa's already covered why this is odd, but I'll go over it anyway. Short story is Hughes already spent two injury plagued years on our rookie list in 05/06 and then after showing stuff all and being delisted, spent 07 on the Sandringham list not getting on the park due to injury.

To me, and probably most others around here, having him train with us (presumably with a view to monitor him for draft purposes) would be flogging a horse that well and truly died about three years ago.

Heavens, Nasher. this post is not worthy of you,

Take a Bex, and have a good lie down. ;)

Haaaang on...

Is this the same Hughes who was a rookie, then a second year rookie, then dropped from the list after sustaining an injury? If so, that's an interesting call. Perhaps a PS pick there for a 21 year old... a la Big Stef.

While we're at it, where's Neaves gotten to? Oh... and has anyone seen Van Sheik or whatever his name was?

shane neaves is playing for west adelaide along side ryan ferguson and nathan doggie brown. intresting they finished last this year?

Van sheik well.. played against him last year when he was playing for wangeratta magpies and to be quite honest he probably had about 5 disposals for the whole game :wacko: you would have never thought that he was on a afl rookie list.

You just described Jason Porplyzia.

I thought that Hughes showed something when he was at Sandy, and if he has got his body right, is worth another chance. Or at the age of 21, we won't consider him because he won't be there for our next premiership. B)

shane neaves is playing for west adelaide along side ryan ferguson and nathan doggie brown. intresting they finished last this year?

Van sheik well.. played against him last year when he was playing for wangeratta magpies and to be quite honest he probably had about 5 disposals for the whole game :wacko: you would have never thought that he was on a afl rookie list.

i know andre gianfagna is playing for the bullants in the vfl

To me, and probably most others around here, having him train with us (presumably with a view to monitor him f

Actually was a rookie in 06/07 and injured all of this year. We might have promised him another opportunity to do the pre-season when he recovered and are just fulfilling that promise. I wouldn't read much more into it than that.

Yeah a few errors with post including the years was 06/07 and 06 wasnt injured that much and played most of the season including a bag of 6 down here in tassie!

And this season he was recovering from surgery i think the club told him not to risk injury.

But mainly give the guy a chance!!!!!!!

Dont bag players that could be drafted! Some people are just sad really

I rate him perhaps a notch or two above that... but only enough to give him a rookie spot again, since we'll have a few going. I saw something in him when he was here last, and thought he'd be retained.

HA! Love your work lately dazzler.

Fro those who have forgotten.

Daniel Hughes

AFL Club Melbourne

(Rookie List)

Guernsey Number: 38

Height 186cm

Weight: 82kg

Drafted: 2006

AFL Debut:

Date of Birth: 10 December 1986

Former Clubs: Hampton Rovers

Sandringham Dragons

Sandringham Zebras

Daniel Hughes enjoyed a good year in 2006, and was retained on Melbourne's rookie list for another season. He continued his development in the VFL, and is a clever medium/tall forward who has shown he has the ability to play in a number of positions. He is quick off the mark, and possesses good hands with a huge vertical leap. Has enjoyed a good pre-season and will be raring to go for 2007.

Can't hurt to have a look.

I remember SEN broadcasting the VFL in 2006 and Ox giving him the nick name 'Skunk' because of a very dodgy bleached mullet thingy haircut. :lol:

From memory he was not far away from getting onto the senior list with the form he was showing.

Go Dees - Building for the Future.

I umpired Danny at Sandy reserves a couple of times last year, and thought he led really well and had some good strength.

Absolutely no harm in having him train with the club. If they don't see anything they can leave him be, but otherwise, give the kid another crack.