World financial crisis hits GC17

titan_uranus

The HUN is reporting that the awarding of the 17th license to GC17 is not a formality, and, amid the financial crisis, the commission is going to consider it more:

GC17 deal uncertain amid world financial crisis

I wonder, if the license is denied, if the draft concessions will still go ahead as scheduled. If the clubs had known of this a week ago, maybe they would have been less reluctant to trade their draft picks this week.

• 1 month later...

This has gone unnoticed due to the Ben Cousins saga, but at yesterday's commission meeting the topic of the GC17 license was debated, and the commission decided it needs 'more detailed analysis':

AFL stalls for time on Gold Coast bid approval

With this current global financial crisis, the AFL is (rightly) reconsidering the GC17 bid because of the huge outlay of money that is associated with it.

The HUN is reporting that the awarding of the 17th license to GC17 is not a formality, and, amid the financial crisis, the commission is going to consider it more:

I wonder, if the license is denied, if the draft concessions will still go ahead as scheduled. If the clubs had known of this a week ago, maybe they would have been less reluctant to trade their draft picks this week.

I think the real untold story behind this is that if they're hesitant about GC17 then WS18 is just about dead in the water.

At least one Sydney NRL club is in deep shyzen and we, in Melbourne. will not be immune to the fallout of this crisis. We still have to finalise a sponsor and work things out with the AFL and the MCC. I read a story in this morning's Age about a poor bloke who was drafted by Fitzroy in 1994 and arrived at Brunswick Street when it really hit the fan there.

Let's hope the story isn't repeated.

I think the real untold story behind this is that if they're hesitant about GC17 then WS18 is just about dead in the water.

At least one Sydney NRL club is in deep shyzen and we, in Melbourne. will not be immune to the fallout of this crisis. We still have to finalise a sponsor and work things out with the AFL and the MCC. I read a story in this morning's Age about a poor bloke who was drafted by Fitzroy in 1994 and arrived at Brunswick Street when it really hit the fan there.

Let's hope the story isn't repeated.

All sporting codes will be hit by the financial crisis. Its not just GC17 but MFC without a major sponosr will like most other Clubs find it harder to raise a dollar. And we need it more than most.

And The Age articles on top draft picks that did not make the grade have been interesting. Even the achievements of the Top 10 table is a interesting. 1994 with J White as No 1 draft pick was a good year for the Top 10. A couple of duds but those that went on, like White, Rocca, Grant all had stellar careers.

Interesting that the Swans back then could not hold Rocca and Grant and they went to Victorian clubs early in their careers.

I'd have thought in a time of economic crisis you would want to shore up what you already have rather than try and expand.

For sure 45h. When the economic crisis started to hit in NY, Vlad - much like Rudd - initially brushed aside concern and stated it was all systems go for the GC17 and West Sydney projects whilst most if not all in sundry eered caution. Probably because they thought Australia's economy was so strong at the time and that Australia could ride this international crisis out. Now it seems after many sleeps and of Vlad's ultra strength hot Cocoa's, he can now see that the global crisis is now some concern. And that the AFL, like all businesses are not immune from it. It's now certainly significant risk to the "$$ Spending Splurge" which he has in the pipeline, so to speak for GC17 & WS18.

Its amazing what happens when the AFL seek professional advice.

You'd think that'd force them to make sure each of their current teams stay afloat.

Could you imagine they stop the spread of the game into GC and WS (while ignoring one that could actually work in Tasmania) and then lose one of their teams due to a lack of funds.

Would be a massive blight on the AFL

Grant went back because he was part of the Schwass deal.

I thought Grant wanted to return to Melbourne and North having dibs on Grant gave up Schwass whose performances had been mediocre in the year up to then. Schwass was initially surprised but carved out a serviceable career at the Swans.

I thought Grant wanted to return to Melbourne and North having dibs on Grant gave up Schwass whose performances had been mediocre in the year up to then. Schwass was initially surprised but carved out a serviceable career at the Swans.

This is how I remember it happening as well. Grant made the initial decision to return home and then a deal with Schwass was struck.

Well, that's one good thing to come out of this global meltdown. The AFL's plans of world domination have to be put on hold for a little while. Hopefully by the time things improve, someone with a bit of common sense looks at the whole proposition again.

But I forget - common sense is not a prerequisite to being in business. An enormous ego is all you need.

Not sure if this is new news, but I guess it's related. I read the other day that Tasmania has finalised its proposal for an AFL license in Tassie, and they're about to submit it to the AFL for consideration. I seriously think the AFL needs to look at Tasmania before Western Sydney.

Isn't the whole point though to get more spectators, therefore $$$? In tassie they know, love & watch the game already.

Building teams in the GC & West Sydney will increase the AFL's supporter base AND encroach on the NRL's supporter base, which i'm sure they are keen to destroy, ensuring national domination.

Going into Tassie will achieve nothing in these terms & i think they are the ones important to the AFL.

Isn't the whole point though to get more spectators, therefore $$$? In tassie they know, love & watch the game already.

Building teams in the GC & West Sydney will increase the AFL's supporter base AND encroach on the NRL's supporter base, which i'm sure they are keen to destroy, ensuring national domination.

Going into Tassie will achieve nothing in these terms & i think they are the ones important to the AFL.

But I'm not certain that would be achieved in Western Sydney either. Of course the AFL would want to take over Western Sydney as a part of reducing NRL support, but I would say that NRL is on the decline anyway. And I don't know if a West Sydney football team would work. Melbourne Storm, while successful, are full of Sydney guys, not Victorians (the point being the Storm haven't swayed Victorians into playing AFL). And I wouldn't say NRL has grown in dominance here amongst supporters.

A team in Tassie would have a pre-existing supporter base that's ready to go, which would help in the short term when the club would need as much support as possible to stay afloat.

But I'm not certain that would be achieved in Western Sydney either. Of course the AFL would want to take over Western Sydney as a part of reducing NRL support, but I would say that NRL is on the decline anyway. And I don't know if a West Sydney football team would work. Melbourne Storm, while successful, are full of Sydney guys, not Victorians (the point being the Storm haven't swayed Victorians into playing AFL). And I wouldn't say NRL has grown in dominance here amongst supporters.

A team in Tassie would have a pre-existing supporter base that's ready to go, which would help in the short term when the club would need as much support as possible to stay afloat.

Well if NRL is on the decline they need to move in to get the supporters instead of letting them move on to the A-League.

And I've written on here before that a mate of mine who has lived in West Sydney most his life told me that there are heaps of people there & no teams to support.

He said they're screaming for a team to call their own and would get straight into AFL. 'A market ripe for the picking'.

I know its only one person's opinion, but coming from a guy who hates AFL it surprised me.

I've heard nothing to the contrary other than victorians that are speculating from a long distance.

The Storm argument I don't think applies. AFL is stronger than ever & there are more AFL teams in Melb, than NRL teams in Sydney.

The Storm got me interested in NRL too & I played it for a while growing up, even though i always loved AFL more.

I understand that Tassie deserves a team a lot more, due to its continued strong support of the league, but AFL will still dominate that market whether they move in there or not.

Maybe one day, but i understand why their priorities lie elsewhere for now.

Well if NRL is on the decline they need to move in to get the supporters instead of letting them move on to the A-League.

And I've written on here before that a mate of mine who has lived in West Sydney most his life told me that there are heaps of people there & no teams to support.

He said they're screaming for a team to call their own and would get straight into AFL. 'A market ripe for the picking'.

I know its only one person's opinion, but coming from a guy who hates AFL it surprised me.

I've heard nothing to the contrary other than victorians that are speculating from a long distance.

The Storm argument I don't think applies. AFL is stronger than ever & there are more AFL teams in Melb, than NRL teams in Sydney.

The Storm got me interested in NRL too & I played it for a while growing up, even though i always loved AFL more.

I understand that Tassie deserves a team a lot more, due to its continued strong support of the league, but AFL will still dominate that market whether they move in there or not.

Maybe one day, but i understand why their priorities lie elsewhere for now.

Yeah, well I guess there are arguments on both sides. I'm just not sure about West Sydney accepting an AFL team to the extent that a new team needs support, but from the looks of your friend, it might work. Good point about getting in before A-League.