Dees coach undecided on No.1 draft pick

the fork

I think he and the MFC are 90% sure that they are going to get Watts with number 1.

Naita would be great for marketing opportunity's but who says Watts wont be as good, he speaks VERY well

......Watts also fits the marketability category ....

I will be very surprised now if any one's other than Watt's name is read out come pick 1.

Any player that will bring us success is marketable, dreadlocks or not.

Spot on.

If we draft Naitanui it will go down as one of the biggest blunders of all time...

Football smarts >> Athleticism

(Even though this draft camp is proving Watts to be the better athlete)

beautiful

Listen to the names of the future

Morton, Grimes, Maric, Buckley, Stef Martin, Garland, Watts, Pick 17 ??, Pick 19 ??, Pick ?? (another in top 20?), Woenamirri, Frawley, Petterd. i might be missing someone....

I think he and the MFC are 90% sure that they are going to get Watts with number 1.

Naita would be great for marketing opportunity's but who says Watts wont be as good, he speaks VERY well

The DEES do need to lose the beige, boring old fuddy duddy conservatism, & Niknat would be great for that. I love his style & dreads, & his athleticism is awsome.

But, we can't take a risk with the No 1 pick, were just not that well off enough to gamble with THIS No 1 PICK.

We must take Watts now, BUT lets get some attitude with some of our other picks if possible, not too many of the short back 'n' sides brigade.

bring back the mullets & a bit of riske' style, maybe some bodyart & some extroverted players.

Guest red and blue thru n thru

Valenti is another he dominates VFL level racks up the possys lets hope he does it afl next upcomn years.

From melbournefc.com.au:

Bailey said Melbourne is simply after the best available player with its first selection, and noted how important it was that the chosen player would "represent the guernsey, the club and the history".

"The earlier that we can get them to feel that it's their club and they own the club and their responsibilities to produce and become great people as well as great players – we're going to get a great player," Bailey said.

Further evidence in my opinion that within the last twelve months there has indeed been a change in culture at the MFC.

Bailey continues to impress.

From melbournefc.com.au:

Bailey said Melbourne is simply after the best available player with its first selection, and noted how important it was that the chosen player would "represent the guernsey, the club and the history".

"The earlier that we can get them to feel that it's their club and they own the club and their responsibilities to produce and become great people as well as great players – we're going to get a great player," Bailey said.

Further evidence in my opinion that within the last twelve months there has indeed been a change in culture at the MFC.

Bailey continues to impress.

FFS, we'll end up with a player more likely to win the Nobel Peace Prize than the NAB Rising Star.

The reason for Judd not wanting to go to Hawthorn was because of their players' tarnished off-field reputation. Hawthorn's full of ratbags, but I'm sure their supporters couldn't care less.

Nice guys come last. I don't want great people or role models, I want players with mongrel who'll do everything within their powers to win, excluding taking drugs of course.

The DEES do need to lose the beige, boring old fuddy duddy conservatism, & Niknat would be great for that. I love his style & dreads, & his athleticism is awsome.

But, we can't take a risk with the No 1 pick, were just not that well off enough to gamble with THIS No 1 PICK.

We must take Watts now, BUT lets get some attitude with some of our other picks if possible, not too mant of the short back 'n' sides brigade.

bring back the mullets & a bit of riske' style, maybe some bodyart & some extroverted players.

Fair call, dee-luded.

It is good to see that all proper due diligence is being conducted by the club during this cattle auction....sorry, draft analysis.

We seem to have a history of buying quality milkers although they fall dead in the paddock due to timidity and frail nature when the wolf trots over the hill.

I just wonder how Hawthorn were able to target young knockabouts.... eventual cat beaters.

I'm assuming our footy dept can identify a juvenile 'Luke Hodge' when they see one.

Hawthorn targeted specific player types, over 4 years or so, and proved this caper is not a game of roulette.

It is simply the end of the road if our new administration fails to restock this outfit with the right breed of Demon.

FFS, we'll end up with a player more likely to win the Nobel Peace Prize than the NAB Rising Star.

The reason for Judd not wanting to go to Hawthorn was because of their players' tarnished off-field reputation. Hawthorn's full of ratbags, but I'm sure their supporters couldn't care less.

Nice guys come last. I don't want great people or role models, I want players with mongrel who'll do everything within their powers to win, excluding taking drugs of course.

Ratbags? We've got one Mo his name is Nathan Carroll. he might not win a Nobel Peace Prize but according to you he'll win us a premership.

Sometimes your negativity makes you write dumb stuff.

Ratbags? We've got one Mo his name is Nathan Carroll. he might not win a Nobel Peace Prize but according to you he'll win us a premership.

Sometimes your negativity makes you write dumb stuff.

So where have I said that Nathan Carroll will win us a premiership? I've never rated him as a footballer.

Hodge, Lewis, Franklin, just to name a few, are ratbags off the field, and they take that bit of mongrel on the field. Clarkson doesn't seem to give a sh#t if his players get reported.

If you get excited by Bailey's rhetoric, good for you!!!!!!!!!!

I'd rather have a great player and it usually follows for a player to deal with the pressure of AFL and to have capacity to fulfil his talent he will generally need the character, attitude and maturity to achieve that.

MFC have had stacks of players who have had mongrel and have done everything in their power to win. But they dont win becuase they dont have the ability. I believe you call them "try hards".

The Fork has summed you neatly on this one. :rolleyes:

Having been at the B & F last night (great function) and chatting to some club officials in the know (who had flown bac from Canberra to attend the B & F), I can say with a fair degree of certainty that at this moment we will take Jack Watts. I can't imagine what could change that (maybe interviews), but yeh, Watts is 99%.

Having been at the B & F last night (great function) and chatting to some club officials in the know (who had flown bac from Canberra to attend the B & F), I can say with a fair degree of certainty that at this moment we will take Jack Watts. I can't imagine what could change that (maybe interviews), but yeh, Watts is 99%.

:rolleyes:

I'd rather have a great player and it usually follows for a player to deal with the pressure of AFL and to have capacity to fulfil his talent he will generally need the character, attitude and maturity to achieve that.

MFC have had stacks of players who have had mongrel and have done everything in their power to win. But they dont win becuase they dont have the ability. I believe you call them "try hards".

The Fork has summed you neatly on this one. :rolleyes:

You can demonstrate character, attitude and maturity within your football environment without being a model citizen away from football, eg; Cousins, Kerr, Franklin, Carey, Ablett, the list is endless.

And as per usual you mispresented what I wrote. I was comparing players of great talent, so why you and Fork brought up duds is beyond me.

Completely agree.

Glenn Archer should never have made it as a footballer (too short for a tall backman, too slow for small players, not a great user of the footy and never found a heap of it) but because he was such a [censored] and was willing to subject his body to a physical battering every week he became one of the most recognised footballers of the last 15 years.

Same could be said of Andy Goodwin - if he can play almost 100 games of AFL then almost anyone can with the right mindset!