Trade them...trade them all!

Supreme_Demon

I know it's really late and I should be in bed but I just can't stop thinking about it.

Basically I think we should just trade them all.

That's right, we should trade: White (trade or delist), Yze (trade or delist), Cameron Bruce (trade), Brad Green (trade) and basically trade ANYBODY else except for a few players (e.g. McLean, Davey, Rivers).

Let's just do what Hawthorn did a few years ago and trade away players that still have atleast SOME value and get draft picks.

I realise it does sound crazy but I believe it's the only way to build long term success here at the Melbourne Demons.

Trade now and build a team from the draft for the future.

I know it's really late and I should be in bed but I just can't stop thinking about it.

Basically I think we should just trade them all.

That's right, we should trade: White (trade or delist), Yze (trade or delist), Cameron Bruce (trade), Brad Green (trade) and basically trade ANYBODY else except for a few players (e.g. McLean, Davey, Rivers).

Let's just do what Hawthorn did a few years ago and trade away players that still have atleast SOME value and get draft picks.

I realise it does sound crazy but I believe it's the only way to build long term success here at the Melbourne Demons.

Trade now and build a team from the draft for the future.

While your view is a bit extreme, I do agree to a point.

Unfortunatly we dont have much of value to trade.

Brad Green and Cam Bruce would be our only good value.

Everything else we would probably lose out on.

I understand your frustration, in many ways each weekend of late, we all get a reality check of where the club is at. We all talk the side up during the week with posts and we build some players up, then when the sired sounds at about 10 minutes to 5 o'clock we have that grim feeling of how far the side has got to go.

It is a bit extreme trading them all. For right now their value is very low in the eyes of opposition teams.

Like DB stated, and I believe it is right. Alot of it is attitude. Not following to instruction, and not being capable to follow to instruction. So DB is faced with many problems. He even told them, if they can't do that they will find themselves out the door.

In the gun will be Green, Bell, Dunn IMO.

welcome aboard the "anything goes " train there Supreme Demon

Anything ought to go..everything ought to be considered..I wholeheartedly agreee. actually been saying this for years..but you know how it is..that nutjob in the corner !! they just humour me and politely snigger.

I have and always maintain a team is nothign more than it s representatives. take away one lot of 18 folk and replace with another 18.. People..its STILL Melbourne !!

Whilst I'll happily barrack for whoever is wearing the jumper ( and trying) I really couldnt care who they are. Trade Bruce.. fine..trade Green fine.. trade Davey..fine.. hell...trade the runners for al lI care..its doesnt matter !! I dont know what people think it does.

All that matters is that all the trades BETTER the team as a whole...that is functions and plays better..that is has better and more conssitent results..Thats is the ONLY Criteria about fielding a team that Matters!!!

So Im with you SD.. entertain any and all trades and actually realise whichever ones better the team !! Its really very simple.. again dont know why people are want to make this hard...Oh and please spare me the.."oh thats insensisteve" rhetoric. Sensitivity is irrelevant to all this. Its a proffessionally paid group of men paid to do a job.Thats all...

I barrack for Melbourne..who ever that is !!

Good to see we agree belzebub59 with what needs to be done to create a Premiership team! Not just a team of talented individuals that only play for themselves.

While we all have our favourite players (e.g. Brock McLean, Jared Rivers, Aaron Davey etc)..if it is a choice between keeping our favourite players OR finally WINNING a Premiership I would happily trade away ALL my favourite players!

Haven't we learnt anything from the Woewodin trade fiasco? The MFC is BIGGER than any player (except if you talk about Ron Barassi back in 1965 when he decided to leave us! <_< ).

So I don't really care if I get called a "nut-job" for deciding that almost ALL our players should be put up for trade bait at the end of this season to get better draft picks.

Imagine if we could get another 1 or 2 picks in the top 20 of this year's AFL Draft? What about even another pick in the top 10?

For that I would trade away our players to concentrate on a youth policy. Any player over the age of 23 or 25 should be worried that they could be traded or delisted at the end of the year. There are ONLY a few in that age-group which know that their positions are safe such as Matthew Whelan and James McDonald.

For far too long we have had players, however talented that they are, who are MENTALLY WEAK and have gone backwards with their skills. That is why I support the idea of a HUGE clean-out of players at the end of this year.

Something that Hawthorn did under Clarkson a few years ago and are now paying dividends. I support Dean Bailey in his quest of building a NEW Demons side that can be created from this year onwards.

ALL ABOARD THE "ANYTHING GOES" TRAIN!!!

No- Bruce needs to go, regardless of contract or not- the club getting rid of Yze, White, Holland immediately offers room to move in terms of paying out Bruce's contract. Trading Green would also be a good option. For these two, we would get possibly a first and second round draft pick from a Collingwood, St.Kilda, Essendon

Well the 3 you want to keep don't get me excited.

2 can't get on the park and the other has stagnated big time.

Melbourne Demons Season 2008 Players list.

Name Games Age Date of Birth

Bartram, Clint 44 20yr 6mth 16 Feb 1988

Bate, Matthew 48 21yr 3mth 24 May 1987

Bell, Daniel 63 23yr 4mth 13 Apr 1985

Bruce, Cameron 184 28yr 11mth 30 Sep 1979

Buckley, Simon 20 21yr 4mth 18 Apr 1987

Carroll, Nathan 71 27yr 10mth 20 Oct 1980

Cheney, Kyle 0 19yr 25 Aug 1989

Davey, Aaron 97 25yr 2mth 10 Jun 1983

Dunn, Lynden 39 21yr 3mth 14 May 1987

Frawley, James 20 19yr 11mth 20 Sep 1988

Garland, Colin 19 20yr 4mth 28 Apr 1988

Green, Brad 186 27yr 5mth 13 Mar 1981

Grimes, Jack 1 19yr 3mth 11 May 1989

Jamar, Mark 66 25yr 9 Aug 1983

Johnson, Christopher 31 22yr 7mth 25 Jan 1986

Johnson, Paul 43 24yr 2mth 26 Jun 1984

Jones, Nathan 50 20yr 7mth 20 Jan 1988

Maric, Addam 5 18yr 4mth 18 Apr 1990

Martin, Stefan 8 21yr 9mth 17 Nov 1986

McDonald, James 217 31yr 10mth 5 Oct 1976

McLean, Brock 75 22yr 5mth 11 Mar 1986

McNamara, Tom 0 18yr 4mth 29 Apr 1990

Meesen, John 2 22yr 2mth 20 Jun 1986

Miller, Brad 110 25yr 1mth 6 Jul 1983

Moloney, Brent 69 24yr 7mth 28 Jan 1984

Morton, Cale 19 18yr 7mth 18 Jan 1990

Newton, Michael 16 21yr 4mth 27 Apr 1987

Petterd, Ricky 11 20yr 1mth 24 Jul 1988

Rivers, Jared 70 23yr 10mth 18 Oct 1984

Robertson, Russell 215 29yr 9mth 24 Nov 1978

Spencer, Jake ® 0 18yr 10mth 9 Oct 1989

Sylvia, Colin 70 22yr 9mth 8 Nov 1985

Valenti, Shane ® 9 21yr 7mth 29 Jan 1987

Warnock, Matthew 21 24yr 4mth 3 Apr 1984

Wheatley, Paul 132 27yr 4mth 12 Apr 1981

Whelan, Matthew 140 28yr 9mth 13 Nov 1979

Wonaeamirri, Austin ® 18 19yr 10mth 2 Oct 1988

Players gone from 2008 list so far -

Neitz, David (V+) 306 33yr 7mth 22 Jan 1975

Holland, Ben 191 31yr 3mth 10 May 1977

*2 retiress*

Players I think will be gone -

White, Jeff (V) 268 31yr 6mth 19 Feb 1977

Yze, Adem (V+) 271 30yr 11mth 21 Sep 1977

Bode, Jace 9 20yr 11mth 14 Sep 1987

Weetra, Isaac 2 19yr 6mth 27 Feb 1989

Zomer, Trent ®

*5 delisted*

Tradeable / Some of these we could afford to trade-in this season.

Bell, Daniel 63 23yr 4mth 13 Apr 1985

Bruce, Cameron 184 28yr 11mth 30 Sep 1979

Carroll, Nathan 71 27yr 10mth 20 Oct 1980

Dunn, Lynden 39 21yr 3mth 14 May 1987

Green, Brad 186 27yr 5mth 13 Mar 1981

Jamar, Mark 66 25yr 9 Aug 1983

Johnson, Christopher 31 22yr 7mth 25 Jan 1986

Johnson, Paul 43 24yr 2mth 26 Jun 1984

Miller, Brad 110 25yr 1mth 6 Jul 1983

Moloney, Brent 69 24yr 7mth 28 Jan 1984

Wheatley, Paul 132 27yr 4mth 12 Apr 1981

-----------------------------------------------------------------

*7 off the list*

Personally I would trade one of - Cameron Bruce, or Brad Green, + :-

Paul Wheatley, Lynden Dunn,

3 trades this year for picks in the range of - pick 14? /// 24 - 40 in a very strong draft year.

We'll no doubt trade more at the end of '09, & then we'll need players to trade to GC-17 in 2010.

No- Bruce needs to go, regardless of contract or not- the club getting rid of Yze, White, Holland immediately offers room to move in terms of paying out Bruce's contract. Trading Green would also be a good option. For these two, we would get possibly a first and second round draft pick from a Collingwood, St.Kilda, Essendon

Oh dear, MFC is rattling the tin and your paying out the more expensive contracts. Gotcha.

At best you could get a late second round pick at best for either Green or Bruce. I cant see why any of the teams you propose would want either or if they did offer any more.

Guest Chopper
Oh dear, MFC is rattling the tin and your paying out the more expensive contracts. Gotcha.

At best you could get a late second round pick at best for either Green or Bruce. I cant see why any of the teams you propose would want either or if they did offer any more.

Sensible post. We overvalue Green & Bruce. Neither have been standouts in a pathetic Melbourne team this year. Whats another club going to want to use an important pick on them for?

What I think many miss is the spirit of the original post. I dont think ( and correct me if wrong please SD ) that anyone is suggesting setting up a card table at AFL house and giving away anyone with a 50c cup of lemonade etc.

What I think is proffered as the point is that ANYONE is up for grabs..That there ar NO safe positions as such. If you are good and have earnt your stripes and are STILL important to us ( the Dees ) then your value in any negotiatons will reflect that. There are undoubtedly players that the Footy dept would rather keep and build around, that fairly much a given , but often what one club sees in a player isnt always what another does. Player "X" may not be seemingly ticking all the boxes and home club ..but 'other' club might just have that magical square hole for him..all clubs needs whilst similar..are DIFFERENT.

Clever trade and baragaining skills revolve around the iea that you listen to EVERYTHING.. doesnt mean you accept all. but you listen..That mean your open to anything..again acceptance is a different fish.

You just never know whats on offer if your doors are closed.

I think you said it all belzebub59 ;)

Any trade would be done in a sensible manner. Its about keeping our options open and doing the best for the MFC so we can WIN a Premiership!

I never said I wanted to trade away Cameron Bruce and Brad Green for packet of Tim-Tams and a slab of Stella Artois or James Squire's Amber Ale.

Well maybe two slabs... :lol: