Uncontracted for 2009?

furious d

So far I think only Green, Dunn, Moloney and Bell are yet to sign contracts for 2009. Have I missed any? Did any of those blokes re-sign while I wasn't looking?

Green seems to be in negotiations and I think could leave if he can't come to an agreement with the club. If it comes to that I'd back the club, even if he walked for nothing in the psd. Clubs that win flags seem to have players prepared to accept less coin to keep a list together. We need to develop that somehow with our young blokes in the next few years as they and their value improve. Caving in to the Daniher era players like usual is not the right example to set imo. 90-92.5% of the salary cap is a good starting point for our developing list to EARN decent rises as they improve.

I'm interested to read what others think this means for Dunn, Moloney and Bell. Does it mean that they could be the players the club will look to trade. It makes sense not to sign players you want to shop around, if you don't get a bite sign them later. I'm not sure if Bailey rates Dunn (based purely on unsubstantiated rumour here and on ology) but at 192cm and with a decent engine he could attract some interest but not a high pick. Moloney has injury concerns and Bell has had a shoking season. I couldn't see any of them attracting more than a speculative pick, maybe late 30's if we do really well at the table, really well.

If green can't come to terms with the club we could package him with one of those 3 to make a pretty tempting offer to other clubs, the kind that could snare a late first round/ early second round pick, which would be priceless this year. Green and Dunn to the Doggies for pick 13 maybe? Green an Bell to Adelaide for pick12, Green and Moloney to north or the scum? thoughts?

Moloney wont be of much trade value due to injury. Same circumstances as Rivers. So I would keep him, Dynamic player on his day.

After hearing that next years draft will be raped by GC17, the chance of getting a top 15 pick for Brad Green is dramatically decreasing. So I would like to see him sign up.

Bell can go. Anything inside the Top 40 would be a good trade. Too Dunn, hes done some good shut down jobs but is too much of a one dimensional player.

Moloney wont be of much trade value due to injury. Same circumstances as Rivers. So I would keep him, Dynamic player on his day.

After hearing that next years draft will be raped by GC17, the chance of getting a top 15 pick for Brad Green is dramatically decreasing. So I would like to see him sign up.

Bell can go. Anything inside the Top 40 would be a good trade. Too Dunn, hes done some good shut down jobs but is too much of a one dimensional player.

I'd agree with these suggestions. But, if there were a deal put on the table for Melbourne for Green that result in a pick from 13-16. I'd probably take it.

Bell & Dunn frustrate me all the same.

Anyone know who (apart from R Warnock) is uncontracted from other clubs, that we might look at getting with Pre-Season Pick 1 if we trade for Warnock or don't end up getting him?

Prismall?

Alwyn Davey?

Wells?

Mundy?

Jesse Smith?

Is there anyone else who has slipped under the radar?

I know Wells has been signed up by north and so has Jesse Smith.

Mundy is coming to Vic but apparently wants to go to the Tigers.

Not sure about Davey would be interesting.

Pris? Who knows if they keep letting him play he would be happy at the cats

Guest Chopper

The following players are out of contract or have asked to be traded.

Richard Douglas (ADEL),

Josh Carr (FREM),

Adam Thomson (PORT),

Scott Harding (BRIS),

David Mundy (FREM),

Jonathon Griffin (ADEL),

Ben McKinley (WCE),

Brent Prismall (GEEL),

Farren Ray (WB),

Robert Warnock (FREM),

Ben Reid (COLL).

Its also been thrown around that the following players want a trade: Dean Polo (RICH), Nathan Krakour (PORT), Daniel Harris (NMFC), Mark Seaby (WCE), Danyle Pearce (PORT), Andrew Lovett (ESS), Daniel Kerr (WCE).

Gold Coast hit AFL draft jackpot 28/08/2008 | LIVENEWS.com.au

Australian Rules Football

The AFL’s new Gold Coast club will get a massive boost from the 2010 draft, after being awarded the first three picks among nine draft selections.

The team will also have access to one out-of-contract player from each of the AFL’s existing clubs.

The formula was agreed upon by the AFL Commission this week, with seven of the league’s 16 clubs being involved in the sub-committee to devise the plan.

In all, the Gold Coast will have draft picks 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13 and 15.

The last-placed team in 2010 will have pick No.4, while the champions will have to be content with selection 25.

The team will also have access to one out-of-contract player from each of the AFL’s existing clubs.

Incorrect. It's now at least one out-of-contract player from each club. So if there's some clubs who have all players tied up, they can negotiate say 2 players from one club or even three - if there is three out-of contract. It's the latest that has just been announced. (SEN)

Incorrect. It's now at least one out-of-contract player from each club. So if there's some clubs who have all players tied up, they can negotiate say 2 players from one club or even three - if there is three out-of contract. It's the latest that has just been announced. (SEN)

Thanks for the update.

Richard Douglas (ADEL),

Josh Carr (FREM),

Adam Thomson (PORT),

Scott Harding (BRIS),

David Mundy (FREM),

Jonathon Griffin (ADEL),

Ben McKinley (WCE),

Brent Prismall (GEEL),

Farren Ray (WB),

Robert Warnock (FREM),

Ben Reid (COLL).

Its also been thrown around that the following players want a trade: Dean Polo (RICH), Nathan Krakour (PORT), Daniel Harris (NMFC), Mark Seaby (WCE), Danyle Pearce (PORT), Andrew Lovett (ESS), Daniel Kerr (WCE).

McKinley, Prismall, Warnock should be on our radar- McKinley and Warnock preferably. should get two of those

atm we have 6 spots on the list available due to the outgoings of :Neitz, Holland, Yze, White, Bode, Weetra

surely there will be some more delistings/trades

McKinley, Prismall, Warnock should be on our radar- McKinley and Warnock preferably. should get two of those

atm we have 6 spots on the list available due to the outgoings of :Neitz, Holland, Yze, White, Bode, Weetra

surely there will be some more delistings/trades

From all reports and some posts on D'land forums there would be definitely one more delist/trade. Maybe two. Connolly has stated a couple of times there would be 7 or 8 changes to the list.

Guest redandbluethruandthru

I ,for one would be seriously [censored] if we lose Green. He is one of a few players whom has shown spirit and fight over the last 2 terrible seasons. He should, in my opinion, be our top priority in re-signings. Furthermore he should be named sole captain. Also play him mainly up forward FFS.

Yeah I have a man-crush on Green. (no homo) (ok a little homo)

I ,for one would be seriously [censored] if we lose Green. He is one of a few players whom has shown spirit and fight over the last 2 terrible seasons. He should, in my opinion, be our top priority in re-signings. Furthermore he should be named sole captain. Also play him mainly up forward FFS.

Yeah I have a man-crush on Green. (no homo) (ok a little homo)

:lol: Well redandbluethruandthru, the jury is out. Its almost been a week since the last game and there is no word on his contract, yet to sign. No progress reports on whether they have sat down either. All is quiet. <_< Why should he be named sole Captain?

Richard Douglas (ADEL),

Josh Carr (FREM),

Adam Thomson (PORT),

Scott Harding (BRIS),

David Mundy (FREM),

Jonathon Griffin (ADEL),

Ben McKinley (WCE),

Brent Prismall (GEEL),

Farren Ray (WB),

Robert Warnock (FREM),

Ben Reid (COLL).

Is McKinley out of contract or asking to be traded? A young goalkicker would be mighty handy...

Also, if Pearce wants out then we should make enquiries.

Guest Chopper
Is McKinley out of contract or asking to be traded? A young goalkicker would be mighty handy...

Also, if Pearce wants out then we should make enquiries.

McKinley is out of contract. He would come at a cost though. Theres no chance we'll get him unless he slips through to the PSD (Highly unlikely).

If Pearce wants to be traded, I would be more than happy to have him at the dees.

Farren Ray is an interesting one. Some games he looks like a champion, other games he looks completely lost.

Both could be good at the right price.

Wouldn't imagine Danyl Pearce would be going anywhere. Choco adores him. Farren Ray only looks good in the Williamstown jumper when the sun is on a 45 degree angle and there is a rainbow in the distance, when the wind is blowing from the east. Go through the draft boys.

Alright, time for another 'the draft isn't a magic solution' post.

Even in good draft years, a late first round draft pick is not that big a deal.

After the initial dozen or so obvious players (and even that range has it's misses) the difference between pick 15 and pick 25 isn't that great.

Let's set a criteria of 100 games, at a consistent top-5 B&F level, which is what you'd need to see from a player to make offloading Brad Green a 'winning' option.

picks 10 to 20 in the 2001 super draft included;

Richard Cole 63 games and gone,

Ashley Watson 7 games and gone,

Barry Brooks 10 games and gone,

Shane Harvey 14 games and gone

Daniel Elstone 0 games.

There are two first-rate players, James Kelly and Nick Dal Santo, plus a selection of good ordinaries to round it off.

In the weaker draft of 2002, grabbing Daniel Bell at pick 14 was a good effort.

Five players from the 10-20 range from 2003 are yet to break past ten games. Mundy and Stanton are the standouts there.

Of course, that draft also saw Kepler Bradley, Kane Tenace, Raphael Clarke, David Trotter and Ryley Dunn in slots 6 to 10.

Generally, given the low percentage play (about 50% effective, 40% 'clangers', 10% 'special') represented by draft picks anywhere but in the very top bracket, and the fact that moderately high picks are really only incrementally better in their results than lower picks...

Thanks but I choose Greeny.

Who, by the way, is only 8 games short of Matthew Pavlich as having played the most games from the 1999 draft. Went at pick 19, one before Paul Wheatley. So you can definately do alright from these picks.

Trouble is, the five picks before them were Travis Gaspar (28) David Spriggs (69), David Haynes (65), Ezra Bay (0) and finally Rhyce Shaw, who is the only one still playing... if that is what you want to call what Rhyce Shaw does.

That is not an argument to not pursue a 1st round pick, that is an argument to recruit better.

Green should re-sign for the reasonable amount we are prepared to pay for a winger/flanker who is not in the top 80 players in the leaugue.

Otherwise he will be at another club on Oct 10.

And, probably, on less than we are prepared to pay.

Green must be kept. We have to have some reasonable senior players on the list - and, culturally, I think the club will take a big hit if it trades Green (as he's red and blue, and is one of the few senior players to display courage and good form on the field week in week out).

If there is a reasonable offer (ie late first round or early 2nd round pick on offer) on the table, and the club trades him to another club, we will have picked up a pick for the national draft with alot of depth. Better to get something in return now (a yound draftee), rather in 3 years time when the club would take a bigger hit.

Look to the future.