It's my fault..

pringle

I have been overseas since just after round two this year. And I have to apologize to all Melbourne supporters... but

I think these 100 point plus defeats are my fault. I have seen 3 games live this year for an average losing margin of well over 100 points!!!

Now I have to start by saying that despite having been overseas since round 2 (and I will be for the rest of the season), I am still paid up as a member. In fact, I paid about 500 bucks for the privilege of watching us lose the 1st two rounds by an average of 100 points!!! And they were the only two games I could see live this year. And all that money just to keep my reserved seat. Now I don't know if there will be a club to join up to and watch in that reserved seat in the years to come!!!

So I am now here to express some serious concern that doesn't seem to be a big topic of discussion here... Will there be a team to support when I get back and n the years to come???

Since leaving, I have been away for 4 months in Europe and Central America. I have therefore been unable to watch a game at all. So finally I get to Thailand and book myself into a semi-decent hotel just to watch the dees live and maybe see the opening ceremony of the olympics (which by the way isn't on in my hotel room!!!!). And what happens???? We lose another game by over 100 points.

Now I have been following us every week on demonland and melbournefc.com and commending our improvements each week. I have been reading with hope about the development of players like Garland and Warnock etc. So why is it that when i finally do get a chance to watch a game almost live that this happens? I hope others can put a positive spin on this, because from here it looks like another 500 years until we are even competitive. And looking back at last year, it is the biggest tragedy on earth that we let Carlton tank those 2 games!!!! Just losing one of those 2 games would have given us another top 3 draft pick this year. What a waste giving it to those filthy pricks. We need it much more than they do. And there is no doubt we will be almost as bad next year and may not even survive until the year after. You can't go on losing like we do with the scarcity of support that we have and expect to be afloat in the years to come. Without some success, people will continue to drop off the membership lists, and we are hardly doing anything to attract more members, nor have we done since 1964. That is why we are short on members today and will continue to be until we either cease to exist (which I now think is now an inevitability unless we win a premiership in the next decade if not earlier). Unfortunately, it doesn't look like it will be happening soon.

Does anyone want to allay my fears or do you all fear the same? Somebody has to say it, coz I am VERY worried that even next year I won't return to see a MELBOURNE Demons. Jimmy and Co. can do all they can to save our team from extinction, but will people come to watch performances like tonight's? Will kids decide to support the MFC on the back of ANY performance this year???????????

I am scared. Is anyone else????????????

if we become an extinct club it will NOT be because of an occasional horrid onfield performance...

it will be 1000% pure and simple because we become financially bankrupt or financially untenable.

The blues survived 6 years of week-in week-out massive demolishens. they survived because they could withstand it financially.

with the draft system, teams who are weak on-field will be helped anyways via the draft.

so... yes you will see the melbourne demons next year

But apart from the occasional semi-challenge, we have not done much to inspire a new generation. Collingwood did nothing in terms of winning premierships from 58 to 90, but at least they threatened. We have been shite for nearly 50 years and not even really threatened to win a premiership. Which kids besides those of hard-core demons fans follow us now??? And who will grow up to in the future on the back of these performances???

I have been overseas since just after round two this year. And I have to apologize to all Melbourne supporters... but

I think these 100 point plus defeats are my fault. I have seen 3 games live this year for an average losing margin of well over 100 points!!!

Now I have to start by saying that despite having been overseas since round 2 (and I will be for the rest of the season), I am still paid up as a member. In fact, I paid about 500 bucks for the privilege of watching us lose the 1st two rounds by an average of 100 points!!! And they were the only two games I could see live this year. And all that money just to keep my reserved seat. Now I don't know if there will be a club to join up to and watch in that reserved seat in the years to come!!!

So I am now here to express some serious concern that doesn't seem to be a big topic of discussion here... Will there be a team to support when I get back and n the years to come???

Since leaving, I have been away for 4 months in Europe and Central America. I have therefore been unable to watch a game at all. So finally I get to Thailand and book myself into a semi-decent hotel just to watch the dees live and maybe see the opening ceremony of the olympics (which by the way isn't on in my hotel room!!!!). And what happens???? We lose another game by over 100 points.

Now I have been following us every week on demonland and melbournefc.com and commending our improvements each week. I have been reading with hope about the development of players like Garland and Warnock etc. So why is it that when i finally do get a chance to watch a game almost live that this happens? I hope others can put a positive spin on this, because from here it looks like another 500 years until we are even competitive. And looking back at last year, it is the biggest tragedy on earth that we let Carlton tank those 2 games!!!! Just losing one of those 2 games would have given us another top 3 draft pick this year. What a waste giving it to those filthy pricks. We need it much more than they do. And there is no doubt we will be almost as bad next year and may not even survive until the year after. You can't go on losing like we do with the scarcity of support that we have and expect to be afloat in the years to come. Without some success, people will continue to drop off the membership lists, and we are hardly doing anything to attract more members, nor have we done since 1964. That is why we are short on members today and will continue to be until we either cease to exist (which I now think is now an inevitability unless we win a premiership in the next decade if not earlier). Unfortunately, it doesn't look like it will be happening soon.

Does anyone want to allay my fears or do you all fear the same? Somebody has to say it, coz I am VERY worried that even next year I won't return to see a MELBOURNE Demons. Jimmy and Co. can do all they can to save our team from extinction, but will people come to watch performances like tonight's? Will kids decide to support the MFC on the back of ANY performance this year???????????

No. Tonight was just a timely little reality check against a damn good team

Just think yourself very lucky that you got to watch it in Thailand. ;)

No need to feel scared Pringle, as long as we all get behind the mighty demons. This week the dinner raised $2.2mil in just one night. Jim Stynes is a strong leader who gets out and meets people and is entirely passionate about saving the club. It will be a challenge to raise the rest of the money but the main thing is that everyone chips in what they can. I am nervous but not scared coz I believe this club is great and is on its way back.

Don't worry Pringle. I have been to 7 matches this season. Not one of them a win. ANd yes, I have been to the same 3 as you.

If I can put your mind to rest, two things: -

1/ Our boys didn't play well at all. Very average indeed.

2/ Geelong are the real deal, and should be the mould and benchmark the mfc should aspire to be.

The difference? 116points. <_<

Yes i do know all this, but how are our skills going to improve to the point where we match the Geelongs or Bulldogs of this comp? THEIR young ones were skilled to start with but just needed toughness and refining to get where they are today. As I've said before on another thread a long time ago, CAC screwed us. People here continued to extol his virtues on picking 'great' future players, but now we are left with little to show for the last 10 years of draft picks. HE HAS FAILED TO DELIVER ON THE TYPE OF PLAYERS YOU NEED IN THE MODERN GAME TO WIN PREMIERSHIPS!!! FULL STOP!!! Whilst there are players that I love (there always will be when you follow a team passionately), where are our Hirds, Harveys, and (God forbid I say this) even Fevolas!!!! We have f. all compared to the rest of the AFL, and it's HIS FAULT!!!!!!! I am not excited yet.

Yes i do know all this, but how are our skills going to improve to the point where we match the Geelongs or Bulldogs of this comp? THEIR young ones were skilled to start with but just needed toughness and refining to get where they are today. As I've said before on another thread a long time ago, CAC screwed us. People here continued to extol his virtues on picking 'great' future players, but now we are left with little to show for the last 10 years of draft picks. HE HAS FAILED TO DELIVER ON THE TYPE OF PLAYERS YOU NEED IN THE MODERN GAME TO WIN PREMIERSHIPS!!! FULL STOP!!! Whilst there are players that I love (there always will be when you follow a team passionately), where are our Hirds, Harveys, and (God forbid I say this) even Fevolas!!!! We have f. all compared to the rest of the AFL, and it's HIS FAULT!!!!!!! I am not excited yet.

Geelong is a proven side where they have had no early draft picks Ie 1,2,3,4,5. Yet they have managed to drill skills into them and develop their team into something great. ANd by selecting draft picks, "in hindsight" quite well indeed.

Alot of their rise - whilst credit will be given to the likes of Thompson, Hinkley, Tudor & Co, alot of it was player driven too. Striving each other to get better, by being honest amongst themselves. This takes leadership. A bloke who wasn't out their tonight, Paul Chapman. You might remember, back after Round 3 or 4 or 5 last year was their turning point. When Chapman spoke to the group after a game and told them a few 'home truths'.

We need players to make decisions and say, 'enough is enough'. That is why I think Brock McLean will be our leader. IMO he has that same quality in him, so too Jones. Bruce I don't think does.

You will be excited next year.

Yes i do know all this, but how are our skills going to improve to the point where we match the Geelongs or Bulldogs of this comp? THEIR young ones were skilled to start with but just needed toughness and refining to get where they are today.

Hawthorn were terrible a few years back, and their skills looked as bad as ours have this season.

They're now entrenched in the top four.