Demonland Player of the Year

45HG

Stop pigeon holing posters BMc, it's pathetic. I was right in front of that piece of play and it was insipid and stupid and not his only mistake for the night. The fact that he is getting B.O.Gs on here is absolutely laughable, and I am not a Bruce basher. Valenti, Whelan and McDonald were all clearly better, harder and smarter last night and I was 5 rows back for 4 soggy quarters.

Agreed.

Since when has it become unacceptable to pass criticism on Bruce? Why is it ok to call Dunn a stupid player, Bell crap, Sylvia lazy, Newton a waste of talent, but if you say one bad thing about Bruce you are automatically a Bruce hater?

Get your heads out of the sand, Bruce is in the twilight of what has been a fairly good career. His disposal and decision making is poor, his on-field leadership from the stands is uninspiring (could be a completely different case amongst the playing group), but his endurance and versatility are allowing him to maintain reasonable enough form to stay in the side. He is not however our best player, he is not having a great season and he is NOT above criticism.

David Neitz, pre- retirement, was being called rubber-chest by some Melbourne fans. If it's good enough for Neita to cop it, a champion of the MFC, it's good enough for Bruce (winner of 0 B&Fs).

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stop pigeon holing posters BMc, it's pathetic. I was right in front of that piece of play and it was insipid and stupid and not his only mistake for the night. The fact that he is getting B.O.Gs on here is absolutely laughable, and I am not a Bruce basher. Valenti, Whelan and McDonald were all clearly better, harder and smarter last night and I was 5 rows back for 4 soggy quarters.

So I'm not allowed to reply to another poster eh? Heil Hitler! I wasn't having a shot at you but like others on this forum you too think Bruce is not allowed to make an error. Sorry, but you are in the 'Bruce basher' category. Support your players. They need it. I encourage my team not drag them down into the mud. I may well ask, "What GOOD does bagging do?" You don't really think for a moment they read that crap do you? Or do you? "

So I'm not allowed to reply to another poster eh? Heil Hitler! I wasn't having a shot at you but like others on this forum you too think Bruce is not allowed to make an error. Sorry, but you are in the 'Bruce basher' category. Support your players. They need it. I encourage my team not drag them down into the mud. I may well ask, "What GOOD does bagging do?" You don't really think for a moment they read that crap do you? Or do you? "

godwins law.

you lost. end of discussion.

look in general i dont really rate bruce. but i thought last night he worked hard, stood up, went it hard, and did a good job on steve johnson.

we didnt have many winners, but he won his position last night.

And he had 10 contested possessions.

Since when has it become unacceptable to pass criticism on Bruce? Why is it ok to call Dunn a stupid player, Bell crap, Sylvia lazy, Newton a waste of talent, but if you say one bad thing about Bruce you are automatically a Bruce hater?

Get your heads out of the sand, Bruce is in the twilight of what has been a fairly good career. His disposal and decision making is poor, his on-field leadership from the stands is uninspiring (could be a completely different case amongst the playing group), but his endurance and versatility are allowing him to maintain reasonable enough form to stay in the side. He is not however our best player, he is not having a great season and he is NOT above criticism.

Of course it is acceptable to pass criticism on any player when warranted. I even agree with some of your Bruce criticisms above. I just believe there are reasons for some of the problems you mention, for example, injury and lack of support.

On the basis that he was probably in our best 6 players for the match he does not deserve unwarranted criticism. And no-one deserves continuous unwarranted bashing.

"Go the" deficiencies... not the man.

"What GOOD does bagging do?" You don't really think for a moment they read that crap do you? Or do you? "

What good does pretending that everything is OK do, when clearly they're not?

I wasn't "bagging" Bruce, I was being critical of a costly error that should not be made by any player let alone a captain of the team.

You Bobby, are less of a supporter than those who are critical. Why? Because if everyone was like you we would still have Daniher as coach, White would be the number one ruckman every week and Yze would be a consecutive games record holder.

The point being, that we are critical becuase we want to see Melbourne improve and get better. In order to do so, changes need to made and problems need to be addressed. What your doing is naively ignoring them and refusing to look at situations objectively.

If Cameron Bruce was a dog and he peed on the floor, you'd just pat him and give him a biscuit, while the rest of us would see to it that the he never does it again.

Of course it is acceptable to pass criticism on any player when warranted. I even agree with some of your Bruce criticisms above. I just believe there are reasons for some of the problems you mention, for example, injury and lack of support.

On the basis that he was probably in our best 6 players for the match he does not deserve unwarranted criticism. And no-one deserves continuous unwarranted bashing.

"Go the" deficiencies... not the man.

I don't buy the injury excuse, as Bruce's disposal has been poor for a number of seasons now.

Nobody cared that Miller was battling injury last season when he was playing badly, and nor should they. If you're out there, you're fair game.

There is NEVER any need to personally attack a player, and if anyone does that they are no longer permitted to post on Demonland. However, there is a group of supporters on here who for better or worse support Bruce, and that is absolutely their right. Those of us who don't fall into that category, get attacked the second we dare raise the issue that Bruce can't hit a target consistently, makes poor decisions with the ball and can go for quarters at a time without making any serious impact. These are his deficiencies, and they have nothing to do with Bruce as a person or a human being, they are purely football related.

Wow, this Bruce thing can't go away.

Every week! It needs it's own forum section i think.

Bub, how did you view Whelan's game and how he fits into the team now, being probably the only player to take a stand in the first half against the league's best team

What good does pretending that everything is OK do, when clearly they're not?

I wasn't "bagging" Bruce, I was being critical of a costly error that should not be made by any player let alone a captain of the team.

You Bobby, are less of a supporter than those who are critical. Why? Because if everyone was like you we would still have Daniher as coach, White would be the number one ruckman every week and Yze would be a consecutive games record holder.

The point being, that we are critical becuase we want to see Melbourne improve and get better. In order to do so, changes need to made and problems need to be addressed. What your doing is naively ignoring them and refusing to look at situations objectively.

If Cameron Bruce was a dog and he peed on the floor, you'd just pat him and give him a biscuit, while the rest of us would see to it that the he never does it again.

I've only been an MFC member for 53 years. Guess that makes me less of a supporter than you. Negative criticism does not help Melbourne improve, particularly personal stuff calling Bruce a dog and the like. As I have said, the players don't read your rubbishing comments so how does that help in the long run? I also liked your reason for criticising Bruce for his COSTLY error. How does one goal when you are 12 goals behind make any difference?

Agreed.

David Neitz, pre- retirement, was being called rubber-chest by some Melbourne fans. If it's good enough for Neita to cop it, a champion of the MFC, it's good enough for Bruce (winner of 0 B&Fs).

When did I ever say Bruce or any other player was above criticism Jaded? My point is that there are a few minority posters who lay the blame on Bruce every single week. When did I say he was our best player? As I have stated before you are among the group who denigrate some players on a fairly regular basis. You have your pets obviously, such as Mr Mclean. Please be fair and objective.

As I have stated before you are among the group who denigrate some players on a fairly regular basis. You have your pets obviously, such as Mr Mclean. Please be fair and objective.

I have never once personally attacked Bruce, or anyone else who plays for this club. When talking about players post-match I only mention those who I believe need to be mentioned. As our CAPTAIN Bruce has as much, if not more of the spotlight on him each week and as one of the few remaining senior players it is up to him to show the way. Sadly, he has been disappointing on the whole. You can deny that all you want, you can call me a Bruce basher, an abuser of players, it still won't change anything.

Perhaps it is time to get off the high horse and let people express their opinions so long as they are not personal or offensive, because you 'post stalking' anyone who has an opinion about Bruce is really becoming old.

Jaded, i've often found that those who take issue with people that criticize Bruce, never actually seem to address the isses brought up.

Indeed, I've basically cut myself out of Bruce debates because of this happening.

Bobby, defend Bruce if you wish, and fair enough too if you can back it up. But if people say he needs to hit more targets, etc., building a defence upon "don't call him a dog", when no one here has, i don't think helps your argument.

Like any other argument here, this should pertain to Bruce's performances for the MFC, not side-tracked by the ways in which some deginerates label players

As I have said, the players don't read your rubbishing comments so how does that help in the long run?

If, as you say, the players don't read the posts on our forums, then what is the problem? Stop being so sensitive about Bruce. If someone disagrees with you and thinks Bruce has a poor game, then that is their own choice- let it go! How does having a go at everyone who doesn't agree with your Bruce-bias help in the long run?

Can't we, the supporters, objectively view and discuss the performance of our players, then voice our own opinions of their games? Last time i checked, thats what a Footy Message Board/Forum is intended for.

Obviously 'rubbishing comments' are not the same as objective criticism. But, just reading thru the above posts from the so-called Bruce-bashers, i'm having trouble seeing where anyone 'rubbished' him?

Jaded, i've often found that those who take issue with people that criticize Bruce, never actually seem to address the isses brought up.

Indeed, I've basically cut myself out of Bruce debates because of this happening.

Bobby, defend Bruce if you wish, and fair enough too if you can back it up. But if people say he needs to hit more targets, etc., building a defence upon "don't call him a dog", when no one here has, i don't think helps your argument.

Like any other argument here, this should pertain to Bruce's performances for the MFC, not side-tracked by the ways in which some deginerates label players

Read Clint Bizkit's comment. If he didn't call Bruce a dog he certainly implied it and that is just as bad although sneaky. 'deginerates' ? Can't find that in my dictionary. I will defend any MELBOURNE player if I think he is being unfairly criticised. Anything wrong with that?

If your analysis of that statement was that he called him a dog, then it would be very hard to trust your analysis of any player.

Defend him in context, all you've done so far is complain that he's being criticized (and nothing over the top mind you), without actually responding to any of the criticism.

And by the way, if you can't figure out what a word is because of one incorrect letter, then perhaps you are a degenerate

I have never once personally attacked Bruce, or anyone else who plays for this club. When talking about players post-match I only mention those who I believe need to be mentioned. As our CAPTAIN Bruce has as much, if not more of the spotlight on him each week and as one of the few remaining senior players it is up to him to show the way. Sadly, he has been disappointing on the whole. You can deny that all you want, you can call me a Bruce basher, an abuser of players, it still won't change anything.

Perhaps it is time to get off the high horse and let people express their opinions so long as they are not personal or offensive, because you 'post stalking' anyone who has an opinion about Bruce is really becoming old.

Old, like your negativity!

If your analysis of that statement was that he called him a dog, then it would be very hard to trust your analysis of any player.

Defend him in context, all you've done so far is complain that he's being criticized (and nothing over the top mind you), without actually responding to any of the criticism.

And by the way, if you can't figure out what a word is because of one incorrect letter, then perhaps you are a degenerate

Personal abuse? Thought it wasn't allowed on this forum.

Old, like your negativity!

As usual, grand-standing with little substance.

By the way, if you really can't stand people criticising Bruce, utilize the 'ignore' function or stop reading this forum because I can tell you that for as long as this forum exists, players will get criticised.

What is it? The longer an argument lasts, the greater the chance somebody will make a reference to Hitler, right?
yep. and given that a nazi comparrison is so blantantly out of proportion and over the top, it is generally recognised that a) the discussion should be over, because it is clear that at least one of the parties involved has either no real understanding of what is going on, or has such a stubborn pov that the discussion is no longer anthing but a flame war (which this is fast becoming) and that b ) the person who made the hitler reference 'loses' the argument because they are no longer being reasonable.

And what does Bailey and the other coaches giving Bruce votes on Footy Classified ,three of the last four weeks do to the arguments of those others?

Makes them look a little stupid.

Some supporters obviously think they know more than A.F.L coaches!!