10 Reasons why McNamee was spot on!

Angry_Bird

I know that there is debate whether or not J.Brown is a good fit for Melbourne. Personally I think he is and I really hope the current board can put aside their egos and maybe re-look at Paul McNamee's idea of trying to entice Jonathan Brown to Melbourne.

1. McNamee negotiated with the AFL to allow us $700K to go over the 93% of the cap if we sign a marquee player

2. McNamee ruled out trading our first pick and would only be prepared to trade pick 17 and a player - otherwise get him in the PSD

3. J Brown is easily the most marketable player available this year and possibly in the game

4. He alone would sell thousands of dollars worth of merchandise and memberships

5. He would be an instant replacement for the leadership gap that currently exists

6. A forward line of Wonna, Robbo, Miller, Davey and Sylvia is not bad when you add Brown

7. The retirements of Yze, Neitz, White, Holland would free up another 300K to pay him the million it would require a year

8. Sponsors would come on board because the club is standing for greatness. I am not sure standing for youth is attractive for sponsors

9. Even if we didn't get him, his price would be severely inflated for Brisbane or Collingwood (or whoever else was after him)

10. Our young players would lift from playing with a guy like that just like the Blues players have with Judd (and the WCE players have now suffered without him)

Rather than insulting McNamee or Stynes lets have some healthy debate as Melbourne members whether or not this would be a good road to travel down.

Remember, that by saying we stand for youth - we are inflating the price of our youngsters as their managers know we are putting our eggs in the under 22 basket. That's at least an extra 50K for all these young guys (who at this stage are not deserving of it - their time will come)!!

I know that there is debate whether or not J.Brown is a good fit for Melbourne. Personally I think he is and I really hope the current board can put aside their egos and maybe re-look at Paul McNamee's idea of trying to entice Jonathan Brown to Melbourne.

1. McNamee negotiated with the AFL to allow us $700K to go over the 93% of the cap if we sign a marquee player

2. McNamee ruled out trading our first pick and would only be prepared to trade pick 17 and a player - otherwise get him in the PSD

3. J Brown is easily the most marketable player available this year and possibly in the game

4. He alone would sell thousands of dollars worth of merchandise and memberships

5. He would be an instant replacement for the leadership gap that currently exists

6. A forward line of Wonna, Robbo, Miller, Davey and Sylvia is not bad when you add Brown

7. The retirements of Yze, Neitz, White, Holland would free up another 300K to pay him the million it would require a year

8. Sponsors would come on board because the club is standing for greatness. I am not sure standing for youth is attractive for sponsors

9. Even if we didn't get him, his price would be severely inflated for Brisbane or Collingwood (or whoever else was after him)

10. Our young players would lift from playing with a guy like that just like the Blues players have with Judd (and the WCE players have now suffered without him)

Rather than insulting McNamee or Stynes lets have some healthy debate as Melbourne members whether or not this would be a good road to travel down.

Remember, that by saying we stand for youth - we are inflating the price of our youngsters as their managers know we are putting our eggs in the under 22 basket. That's at least an extra 50K for all these young guys (who at this stage are not deserving of it - their time will come)!!

This is a total waste of time. Jonathan Brown would not, in 1000000 years, come to Melbourne. No-one, including McNamee, has even suggested he would consider it, and I can tell you, he is totally disinterested in the MFC. So the more energy our admin wastes on him, the worse.

Look for the other thread on Brown. This has been done and dusted and anyone that understands our list, Brown's body, and the history of ageing key forwards, knows it's a silly suggestion.

Okay, assuming Brown was interested...

No thanks - he'll will be past it by the time we're in flag contention.

I don't care about improving our short-term on-field position, I want to build a premiership team.

I don't think Brown could play in a premiership at Melbourne, and thus I want to build around a younger side.

You have some sound logic to bring Brown but the fact remains he has 3 or 4 years left and we are developing a list that will not be up and running, and in the top four, for 5 years.

Look at Geelong; Drafted in 99 - Enright Ling Chapman Corey & 2001 - Bartel Ablett S.Johnson Kelly

They took an enormous time, and had alot of patience but they got to the promised land.

The only thing that will get us back to where we want to be - a strong club - is that promised land, and Brown - as good as he is - is not going to get us there.

He may give us a short term boost, but if you are looking at him as our saviour then you are worshipping false idols.

My concern is that we do not have 5 years.

Yes we raised 2 million or call it 3 million but that leaves us still with a massive debt, no business plan (that we have seen), no CEO (although I hear the best man from Chris Connolly's wedding may get the job), no home, Casey deal unsigned... I think that JB could potentially have allowed us to still build the premiership team but with either him in it or helping develop it.

As for he was 1000000 years from signing, I know for a fact that we were not his number 1 choice HOWEVER money talks and PM has a pretty good record at getting guys with pretty big reputations to his events!! Never write someone off with the track record of McNamee.

I am not saying that it is a no brainer - I am just saying that PM may have been onto something that could have saved our club. Don't just dismiss it because Jimmy doesn't want to go there. We are the members that he represents and if we were strong enough in any belief he would need to act on it!

HAHAHAHAHA! Sorry, you lost me there. What a joke! What do you think we would have had to give for him?

The bloke is better than Chris Judd, yet only pick 17 and a player from the team sitting last? Which player on our list is worth AT LEAST 2 first round draft picks? J.Brown would command at least 3 first rounders, or equivalent. And no, he wouldnt walk and leave the Lions with nothing.

He isnt Chris Judd, he is better. Both in playing ability, and morally.

Guest Colossus_2000

I was going to leave this one alone, but was bugging me....

- Brown's management was contacted by the club, and asked if he would be interested. He replied no. End of story (see the CC article on mfc.com)

- I don't think we really have a 'leadership gap' as reported. Yes, Neitz is gone. But Bruce and Junior have stood up. Greeney has risen to the top. Brock, Miller and Moloney are leading the way. And with young blokes like Morton and Grimes coming up, I don't think our leadership is in doubt.

- Browny is not the most marketable player around. Buddy and Judd are leaps ahead of Jono. Heck even guys like Reiwoldt and Ablett have it over Brown.

- Sponsors come and go. Each club has a limit on sponsorship, you can't just keep adding more on.

- Jonathan Brown, while a marquee player, is quite arrogant, and I don't see his influence being anything like Judd's, on young players or sponsors.

Guest unstable punt
Even if McNamee had stayed on it's not even a given Brwon would have come to the MFC. Everyone'es acting as if it was a sure thing

he would NOT have come anyway so the debate is OVER :mellow:

I am not saying that it is a no brainer - I am just saying that PM may have been onto something that could have saved our club. Don't just dismiss it because Jimmy doesn't want to go there. We are the members that he represents and if we were strong enough in any belief he would need to act on it!

Don't be under the assumption that people are dismissing it simply because the new regime doesn't want to go down this path.

It's certainly not the reason I don't want us to get Brown.

I want to see a premiership, and don't think recruiting JB gives us the best chance to do that.

You have some sound logic to bring Brown but the fact remains he has 3 or 4 years left and we are developing a list that will not be up and running, and in the top four, for 5 years.

Look at Geelong; Drafted in 99 - Enright Ling Chapman Corey & 2001 - Bartel Ablett S.Johnson Kelly

They took an enormous time, and had alot of patience but they got to the promised land.

The only thing that will get us back to where we want to be - a strong club - is that promised land, and Brown - as good as he is - is not going to get us there.

He may give us a short term boost, but if you are looking at him as our saviour then you are worshipping false idols.

Geelong also traded for Mooney and Ottens... Although it may take a while to get to a premiership sometimes you need to import players.

Geelong also traded for Mooney and Ottens... Although it may take a while to get to a premiership sometimes you need to import players.

They must have been 25 or under when Geelong recruited them though. Brown is 27, and like Nietz has a heavy build which he uses to his teams advantage, but will ultimately cut his career short.

geelong traded for ottens to win the premiership. sort of like why we traded for pickett. we were trying to top the list up and win the flag, thought we were almost there. we weren't and neither was pickett.

geelong were and ottens helped win it for them.

we are not looking at winning one in the next 3 years. we need to draft the 3-4 kids each year to play in the team that will win it for us.

brown will not change our chance of winning one.

My concern is that we do not have 5 years.

Yes we raised 2 million or call it 3 million but that leaves us still with a massive debt, no business plan (that we have seen), no CEO (although I hear the best man from Chris Connolly's wedding may get the job), no home, Casey deal unsigned... I think that JB could potentially have allowed us to still build the premiership team but with either him in it or helping develop it.

As for he was 1000000 years from signing, I know for a fact that we were not his number 1 choice HOWEVER money talks and PM has a pretty good record at getting guys with pretty big reputations to his events!! Never write someone off with the track record of McNamee.

Only one promplem........J.Brown is in no way interested in MFC WHAT SO EVER