• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Jack Grimes

DEMON WITHIN

Which of Holland, Yze, and White will be fighting Grimes for a spot?

Will it matter? IMO I would not give either of those three a final game as it suggests you are not putting your best team on the paddock to win but using it as a testimonial match. Having to play any of these three veterans does not necessarily assist in bringing for a debutant who is worthy of call up.

If he can dominate in Sandy 1sts in two to three games then we have a star in the making. From reports on his progress, he could be a good to very good player for us. Its a big expectation on a player who has had so little senior football this year and has only just been able to run out a complete Sandy 2nd's game.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will it matter? IMO I would not give either of those three a final game as it suggests you are not putting your best team on the paddock to win but using it as a testimonial match. Having to play any of these three veterans does not necessarily assist in bringing for a debutant who is worthy of call up.

I think it does. None of them play the role Grimes does, and it's an area where we've had significant injuries - McLean and Moloney won't reappear this year. If there were a few old mids who were getting a send-off game, it'd make it pretty tough for Grimes, but Yze, Holland, and White all play a different role.

If he can dominate in Sandy 1sts in two to three games then we have a star in the making. From reports on his progress, he could be a good to very good player for us. Its a big expectation on a player who has had so little senior football this year and has only just been able to run out a complete Sandy 2nd's game.

If this was round six, I'm not sure people would be saying that a round ten debut is very unlikely, given he's had his pre-season, played out a stipulated number of games at Sandy 2s to get match fitness up, and has shown very good form.

If he can dominate in Sandy 1sts in two to three games then we have a star in the making. From reports on his progress, he could be a good to very good player for us.

I'm hoping he can dominate on the weekend and really hoping that he's a star in the making. (The name 'Jack Grimes' has a ring to it)

I think it does. None of them play the role Grimes does, and it's an area where we've had significant injuries - McLean and Moloney won't reappear this year. If there were a few old mids who were getting a send-off game, it'd make it pretty tough for Grimes, but Yze, Holland, and White all play a different role.

If this was round six, I'm not sure people would be saying that a round ten debut is very unlikely, given he's had his pre-season, played out a stipulated number of games at Sandy 2s to get match fitness up, and has shown very good form.

If we are giving White, Yze and Holland a final testimonial game then logic with proper selection policy goes out the window. While none of them play mids, none them are good enough to hold a position anywhere so bring them in just throws the side out anyway.

I am not sure of the value for Grimes in a game where we have sacrificed three spots on the ground for charity recalls.

I dont think it anything to do with the rounds. Unless the player is really good or there is a dire need for that type of player, I think 2 to 3 games adjusting to the harder pressure of VFL 1sts over VFL 2nds with the expectation of showing you are ready for the next step to AFL is a big ask. If he can then fine...great. If not then thats OK for next year. I dont see the big need to push him through to AFL yet. I would hope he would develop his composure confidence and skills within the VFL.

COMMENT (off the topic - sort of): Just did some research. You know Michael Tuck played over 70 odd games in the Reserves at Hawthorn before embarking on 426 games at senior level? That's amazing.

Just thought I'd throw that in as a matter of interest seeing as though we're talking Sandy seniors and the AFL for Grimes.

If we are giving White, Yze and Holland a final testimonial game then logic with proper selection policy goes out the window. While none of them play mids, none them are good enough to hold a position anywhere so bring them in just throws the side out anyway.

I dont see the big need to push him through to AFL yet.

I don't either, and wouldn't want my POV painted like that. I never said there was a big need to push him through to the AFL yet - simply that there was still a chance. The attitude of '2009, regardless' isn't one I support. If his form merits a spot by round 22, he should get one - no cotton wool, thanks.

Fwiw, I disagree with your assertion regarding White et al. not being good enough to hold a position anywhere - all of them are thereabouts if in good form. If we were trying to win games, a fit and firing Holland up forward would be a handy target, given our lack of tall options in the forward line. I wouldn't say our current rucks are streets ahead of White, and Yze's also been given games this year.

Fwiw, I disagree with your assertion regarding White et al. not being good enough to hold a position anywhere - all of them are thereabouts if in good form. If we were trying to win games, a fit and firing Holland up forward would be a handy target, given our lack of tall options in the forward line. I wouldn't say our current rucks are streets ahead of White, and Yze's also been given games this year.

Our whole team has struggled to do well this year including our rucks and its interesting that all three have not been able to sustain a role in this side this year. In addition, none of the three have exhibited the form in the VFL that suggest they should be selected. Certainly not at present. That is a concern for them.

I understand Bailey has said he will be talking with the relevant players this week re their futures (or lack thereof) with MFC.

And given where the side is now, what's at stake at season's end and the number of games left in the season I dont see any strong need beyond testimonial reasons to play them. Unless to ensure No 1 draft picks <_< .

I think we agree on Grimes on the merit issue. My position is more 2008 unlikely rather than 2009 regardless.

In addition, none of the three have exhibited the form in the VFL that suggest they should be selected. Certainly not at present. That is a concern for them.

Yze has been in pretty decent form at Sandy over a number of weeks. Holland's barely played. I think it was a toss-up between White and Jamar, as both were just going, and given where our Club's at on-field it's no surprise Jamar won out.

And given where the side is now, what's at stake at season's end and the number of games left in the season I dont see any strong need beyond testimonial reasons to play them.

I agree.

I think we agree on Grimes on the merit issue. My position is more 2008 unlikely rather than 2009 regardless.

Yes, I think we do :)

I find it almost laughable at the needless haste beig bandied by some to bring Grimes on to AFL level. For what ?? Let him find his legs.. Give him a good solid preseason and then we'll see where he sits in the grand scheme of things.

As to Lovell. I think some folk lose perspective and seem to think that Sandringham is OUR club..they arent..nor aever were. They were simply in alliance with us..Thats a vastly different thing. The Zebs always had/have their eyes firmly planted on the prize, and they got it...and got it..and got it...lol. Their primary concernwas NOT to bring our lads on but to acomodate them as best in order to facilitate their own ends. Im fine with that. Lovell has obviously beenfar less successful thanhis predescessor, but it cant alb e laid at his feet for that. He's had a pretty rugged year of injuries. Still when did Zebbies last see the bottom half of the ladder at this time of year ?

I find it almost laughable at the needless haste beig bandied by some to bring Grimes on to AFL level. For what ?? Let him find his legs.. Give him a good solid preseason and then we'll see where he sits in the grand scheme of things.

I find it almost laughable that some want him to wrapped in cotton wool and automatically ruled out of MFC promotion, regardless of form over the next three weeks at Sandringham.

;)

I find it almost laughable that some want him to wrapped in cotton wool and automatically ruled out of MFC promotion, regardless of form over the next three weeks at Sandringham.

;)

I see nothing in what I say to suggest wrappig him in cotton wool.. he hasnt played in teh seniors yet. Why the rush.. Answer that ? <_<

Why the rush.. Answer that ? <_<

I have no rush.

I see both extremes - an overwhelming desire to see him debut regardless, or an overwhelming desire to see him overlooked for senior selection - as poor.

If form merits selection, he should be picked.

I see no reason why Grimes shouldn't be given a taste of AFL by round 22 if his form warrants it. In fact I like the idea. It will be a fantastic way to end a frustrating season for him where many of his peers have had their first taste of AFL. It would be a great reward for all the hard work and frustrating moments he's had to endure - if his form justifies selection, and make summer that bit more enjoyable.

Round 1, or 22 should make no difference. I'm sure that Maric will benefit from the games he's played. Some learned supporters told me at Sandy a few weeks back that Maric wouldn't be given a game until next year. Now we can all see that he'll be better for the run.

This idea of deliberately holding him back until next year regardless of whether he's quite capable of playing is anachronistic.

I see no reason why Grimes shouldn't be given a taste of AFL by round 22 if his form warrants it. In fact I like the idea. It will be a fantastic way to end a frustrating season for him where many of his peers have had their first taste of AFL. It would be a great reward for all the hard work and frustrating moments he's had to endure - if his form justifies selection, and make summer that bit more enjoyable.

Round 1, or 22 should make no difference. I'm sure that Maric will benefit from the games he's played. Some learned supporters told me at Sandy a few weeks back that Maric wouldn't be given a game until next year. Now we can all see that he'll be better for the run.

This idea of deliberately holding him back until next year regardless of whether he's quite capable of playing is anachronistic.

Selected on the wing for his debut in the Sandy seniors this weekend. Woth going to the TBO just for this alone!

• 2 weeks later...
True, but I think there is great merit in selecting him.

whether there is or not.. the Thread title is ambit at best !!

Welcome to Demonland Stigga.

They will try and pick holes in you for anything.

Mate..its not a matter of picking holes. The title makes it sound like an announcement...that this will happen. There is no such evidence..Therefore.. possibly it ought to be .. "Do you think Grimes should play agains the Tigers" etc. ;)

Guest Golgothan
True, but I think there is great merit in selecting him.

Great merit, like form? Like the 8 touches he had on the weekend in his second game on VFL seniors?

Bailey's said all year he'd pick players on form and Maric waited a long time in the VFL, so unless he does something amazing this weekend or half our team get some mystery flu while in adelaide, i can't see it happening.