• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Membership idea

Please forgive me if the following has already been suggested or already exists.

I have been thinking of a way that the MFC can potentially cut some of their costs with regards to memberships, whilst potentially making MFC memberships more attractive.

THE IDEA

The idea is to have a membership "builder package". That is, when buying a membership you start out with a basic pack, and then pick and choose the extra features you want. This is already done to a certain extent with the different categories or membership that you can purchase (Red and Blue, Redlegs, Trident etc.), but if none of these packages suit you then you can use this option.

I'll use a basic example to explain.

- You start out by choosing the number of games you want your membership to give you access. Let's say that 10 games costs $100. Once you have chosen this, anything extra you have to pay for. This is also assuming that a current similar package (which automatically includes these extras) costs more.

- You choose if you want stickers, an extra $5.

- Scarf/tie, $10.

- Demon Magazine, $10

-etc.

By the end of it, member A may have a 10 game package that costs him $100, while member B also has 10 games access but after getting a few extras is paying $140.

BENEFITS

-Essentially, the MFC could cut costs with the number of ties, pens, scarves etc. that they provide to members.

-It may also may be more attractive to some current or potential members who see the current cost of memberships as a drawback. Therefore, a cheaper package that just gets them in to games may be ideal.

-Cutting the cost of pens and scarves doesn't sound like a lot, but if you multiply it by the number of members then some significant costs may be made. Moreover, these extras may include more susbstantial things such as reserved seating, access to certain areas and alike.

PROBLEMS

-The whole thing may be too complicated and may require too many staff hours to implement.

-The cost of pens, stickers, ties and alike may not be an issue and at the start of each year a certain number may be ordered regardless of the number of members.

It's just a rough idea, but what do others think?

i think this would actually simplify the member process if it was done correctly

however, going by the system implemented last year: after this year, members only have to renew their memberships over the internet as we already have cards and all we need is stickers, scarf access card, magazine.

a refinement of your idea could be perfect IMO

lets say MFC/MCC memberships cost $60 (yes, they need to be more expensive)

and basic memberships costs $100

extras: -reserved seats=extra $200

-redlegs membership=extra $200

-a couple of away games=extra $50

-scarf/tie=extra $5

or whatever, (i know my facts are crap) but i think a refinement of these ideas could make the process easier

To make the MFC/MCC more expensive, you have to back it up with something.

You already get basically nothing for it, as you can already go to games.

I pay extra money to get the concession membership, so i can't use it to get into away games.

MFC/MCC only makes sense if it gives you access to away games at the dome subject to availability. Otherwise people are being asked to pay 60 dollars for a scarf and a book.

I really like the idea of paying for the add-on extras (scarf, tie, etc), as I thought that this year was an absolute shamble - sending out packages with pen, stickers and membership card BEFORE payment. And then once I paid up I got the exact same package again! So now I have two membership cards, two packets of stickers, and two of those cool flag pens.

I'm literally shaking my head at the sheer stupidity of that.

Otherwise people are being asked to pay 60 dollars for a scarf and a book.

No, they are paying $60 to be members of the soon to be greatest club on earth!!

So make normal membership 120 then.

You've got to think practically, becoming a "member of the greatest club on earth" is useless when thinking of how to attract new members, especially a group who are traditionally tough to attract.

You and I may agree it's a good enough reason, but many people don't and that's possibly why they aren't members.

I'm still a fan of getting something on the renewal form for MFC supporters asking whether you'd like to become a member of the MFC, and with it you get a special MFC/MCC card that gets you into the MCC

I would go one further and I did mention this to the club in one of the feedback surveys on memberships.

Being an interstate member I only go to tops 2 games a year but I want the opportunity to go to the grand final in Melbourne

when we get back there.

So there should be a basic package and then you pay a premium for guaranteed finals and grand final tickets, same as the

higher packages available from the club. So I can by my interstate membership and then pay X-dollars for a Gf ticket and knowing I will get one I can then drive/fly from Perth to be there with confidence.

I think those extra bits and pieces such as stickers, scarfs and ties are superfluos. They cost the club next to nothing and just represent a little extra value to the punter for their membership. I think you'll find even if they did away with the little extra non-sense in the membership packages the actual price of the package wouldn't come down that much, if at all.

I think its potentially a good idea but not quite in the manner you have presented it Clint, definitely something that could be explored though.

What about something like those that purchase an 11 game membership can fork out an extra $20 for reserved seats at 2 of the more popular home games for the year like Collingwood or Essendon, things like that. Or for an extra $50 you get access to the lindsay hasset room 5 times per season for 2 free pots, etc etc.

Please forgive me if the following has already been suggested or already exists.

I sent a similar thing off to the club about three or four years ago.

But with a completely different spin.

I told them I really didn't want the glossy magazine they sent out 4 times a year or the crappy diary/pen/key ring etc. or even some of the stickers that come with the membership package. How many small number plate stickers can you stick on one car anyway?

I offered up a similar idea to you with a focus on 'getting what you want to pay for' NOT crap you don't want. And I strenuously highlighted the $ savings to the club.

I also hightlighted that I was sick of seeing Tasmanian wood chips being shipped to China only to be pulped for paper to produce a glossy magazine that was going to be sent back to Australia for someone who didn't want it.

I would have been far happier to give the money straight to the club rather than get the magazine and IF I had to get it either email it to me as articles (and the adds) or make it available to members only on the website.

I didn't get a reply.

And now I could have TWO scarves from this season last to go with the ONE I grew up with and the TWO I bought for then girlfriend and I about six years ago. :wacko: A cap would be nice. :lol:

Go Dees - building for the future

TBG,

I think those extra bits and pieces such as stickers, scarfs and ties are superfluos. They cost the club next to nothing and just represent a little extra value to the punter for their membership. I think you'll find even if they did away with the little extra non-sense in the membership packages the actual price of the package wouldn't come down that much, if at all.

The cost of pens, stickers, ties and alike may not be an issue and at the start of each year a certain number may be ordered regardless of the number of members.

What about something like those that purchase an 11 game membership can fork out an extra $20 for reserved seats at 2 of the more popular home games for the year like Collingwood or Essendon, things like that. Or for an extra $50 you get access to the lindsay hasset room 5 times per season for 2 free pots, etc etc.

Cutting the cost of pens and scarves doesn't sound like a lot, but if you multiply it by the number of members then some significant costs may be made. Moreover, these extras may include more substantial things such as reserved seating, access to certain areas and alike.

-The whole thing may be too complicated and may require too many staff hours to implement.

-The cost of pens, stickers, ties and alike may not be an issue and at the start of each year a certain number may be ordered regardless of the number of members.

It's just a rough idea, but what do others think?

I am sure that the AFL has a mailing house that controls all clubs send outs of memberships and there goodies ect so i doubt it would waste staff hours

Love the idea of the basic membership with the add on packages.

I don't think basic merchandise like stickers, pens etc should become add-ons as I think they're good gifts from the club so you can show your support (i for one love seeing a Demons sticker on the back of a car) and MelbourneFC magazine allows more supporters - who have not been blessed to have stumbled upon the demonland site - to become more involved with the players whats happening.

But things like Pet membership (which is already an add on I believe) coud be further developed - I signed up a pet membership and recieved a little melbourne picture frame which was good, but also I got a pen & a lanyard which I don't feel my dog will make great use of... Things like dog or cat (or fish?) tailored memberships with collars would be grreat as their are plenty of members who will enjoy it.

To make the MFC/MCC more expensive, you have to back it up with something.

You already get basically nothing for it, as you can already go to games.

I pay extra money to get the concession membership, so i can't use it to get into away games.

MFC/MCC only makes sense if it gives you access to away games at the dome subject to availability. Otherwise people are being asked to pay 60 dollars for a scarf and a book.

True. There has to be a significant incentive. I am hold both MCC and MFC memberships. ALthough recently with the update on MCC subscription came a MFC membership offering which was good, clearly an indication that Jim's trying to reconstruct and strengthen the relationship between MCC and MFC to extract the MCC members to dig deep for the MFC supporters in the MCC.

Onya Jimma!

No, they are paying $60 to be members of the soon to be greatest club on earth!!

and more specifically they are paying to be a part of the club including voting rights, and access to member only functions and information.

I'd like to see you try and convice people to add 20 dollars onto a membership to get a right they already have. Not to mention trying to convince someone who is not yet a member, why they would then have to pay an extra 20 for something that doesn't get you into any games, and only things like pens and books that many here feel should be culled from the real membership that actually gets you into games

Just because it's an MCC member, does not mean you have a pot of gold like some of you think.

You need to think practically about bringing them on board, not adding to the price for the sake of it.

Hell, make normal memberships 300 and our debt will be gone

I think you've outlined what could be a great initiative for the MFC. However, there are a few points:

1) As you mentioned, cutting down on pens/stickers etc. won't be an issue as these are so cheap and would probably be bought in bulk anyway.

2) Allowing people to choose the amount of games their membership allows entry to might have an effect on crowd sizes. Having a minimum number of games might make some people say 'Well I paid for this membership I might as well use it'. If someone buys a membership for, say, 10 games, then they might not go to any more games after that because their membership doesn't cover it.

- On the other hand it might make people buy a membership they otherwise wouldn't have bought, so I dunno if this will actually be a problem.

I think a scarf that shows how many games you have attended would be a great idea.

At the start of each year (upon renewal of your membership) you get a scarf that tells you how many games you attended last year and a grand total for yourself.

I'm sure there is some way of getting these records from the gate ticketing system. I would be quite happy to pay extra every year to show off how many games I attend, and i would be extra keen to keep my numbers ticking over. (not that i need any motivation to turn up.)

It's not without it's problems like how to measure away games???? but not insurmountable.

And now's the time as well.... Jimmy is about to roll out his plan to save Melbourne. So game 1 (on the count) can be next year

I love the idea were you pay $20 dollars extra and eveyone

that does goes into a draw to sit in the box game day.

Just a silly thing, but its a life long thing that I have always

wanted to do.

I love the idea were you pay $20 dollars extra and eveyone

that does goes into a draw to sit in the box game day.

Just a silly thing, but its a life long thing that I have always

wanted to do.

A great idea. What about other draws during the season, like for a free ticket to club best and fairest night, or mechandising packs. Proudly sponsored by ?????. A great marketing tool and potentially more exposure for corporate sponsors.

A great idea. What about other draws during the season, like for a free ticket to club best and fairest night, or mechandising packs. Proudly sponsored by ?????. A great marketing tool and potentially more exposure for corporate sponsors.

You have your standed membership then

+ $20 Go into the draw in the box for a day with the coach

+ $20 Go into the draw to be in the rooms before the game

+ $20 Go into the draw for free ticket to the B&F

That is $60 all up. If 20,000 done all 3 thats $120 thousand a year

Also maybe non members could pay $100 to be in all 3 as well.

Your ideas