Changes v North Melbourne

Beamer

Out: Bell, Newton.

In: Carroll, White.

I think Carroll deserves another crack. You cant do much more than put your head down and throw in some good performances at Sandy.

Petterd close, and I'd give Jmac a game with Sandy.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Carroll deserves another crack. You cant do much more than put your head down and throw in some good performances at Sandy.

We drop a small backman and a KPF and replace them with an NQR defender and a past it ruckman. Does not make sense.

Carroll has had one good game at Sandy against a very ordinary opposition. He has not pinned down form in any role that would demand selection.

White gives us nothing now ahead of PJ and Jamar and I dont see the point in playing him.

MFC took Jmac as emerg to Perth. He should come in if they are going to lose any midfielder.

As frustrating as he is, I would keep playing Newton to see what we can get out of him this year. He's got talent and he will able to look good again at Sandy without putting in a solid committed effort. No benefit there.

Carroll has had one good game at Sandy against a very ordinary opposition. He has not pinned down form in any role that would demand selection.

White gives us nothing now ahead of PJ and Jamar and I dont see the point in playing him.

If you have read Nathan Carrolls player reviews, you'll find his done well, both down back and across half forward. What more do you want?

Carroll should play the same role as Bell. Take a medium forward, but instead beat him.

I think Jeff can benefit the team. Freeing PJ up to play CHF.

I might be the only one here but i thought bell was quite ok yesterday? Layed a lot of good tackles and i still think he is a midfielder more than a small backman.

If James McDonald is ready to go, he should come in. Probably for Daniel Bell I would of thought. No other changes. White can stay at Sandy.

its almost like some posters don't want to improve and develop our list for next season.

White, Carrol, Yze and Holland will 1000% NOT be on our list for 2009. Therefore they should under no circumstances be given game time.

This happened at the end of 2007 when Riley put a number of games into Ward, N.Brown and Picket in the last 8 rnds when they werent even on the list the next year. This was a big mistake and a pointless practise.

McDonald is the only old player i'd be giving game time to, firstly bc he is the only old player who is genuinely in our best 18 players, and secondly bc he will be playing most probably next season.

If you have read Nathan Carrolls player reviews, you'll find his done well, both down back and across half forward. What more do you want?

Carroll should play the same role as Bell. Take a medium forward, but instead beat him.

I think Jeff can benefit the team. Freeing PJ up to play CHF.

I have. Up to 3 weeks ago he had been loose up back and pretty ordinary two weeks ago after creating a clanger up back that resulted in a 50mtr and goal went forward and did better. Not overly impressive summaries particularly when the Sandy reports on the MFC are overtly positive. He played well on the weekend against sub VFL opposition. Thats fine. Let him back that up over a couple of weeks and do it in the one position. Carroll does not play the same role as Bell and his decision making is terrible.

White is finished in the AFL. He got towelled last week against a sub AFL player. He did not even get near the best against a sub VFL opposition who do not have a name ruckman in their list. Its over. PJ is not a CHF but I share your inference that PJ may not be a ruckman. We need to address the rucks at year end.

If James McDonald is ready to go, he should come in. Probably for Daniel Bell I would of thought. No other changes. White can stay at Sandy.

Agree. McDonald to come in. No point playing White or Yze at this late stage.

Did Bartram and Jones do enough to keep their spots?

its almost like some posters don't want to improve and develop our list for next season.

White, Carrol, Yze and Holland will 1000% NOT be on our list for 2009. Therefore they should under no circumstances be given game time.

Carroll is contracted for 2009. :(

McDonald is the only old player i'd be giving game time to, firstly bc he is the only old player who is genuinely in our best 18 players, and secondly bc he will be playing most probably next season.

If they took Junior to Perth and did not play him, I would suggest the Coaching panel dont share your view and that he may close to finishing this year. And your second point does not necessarily validate his selection.

Carroll does not play the same role as Bell and his decision making is terrible.

I think Carroll is good under pressure unlike many other players in our side. When he does make a mistake it is obvious (because it usually costs a goal) but that doesn't mean he makes more than the average Melbourne player.

I think Carroll would be great in that third defender role. Whether he gets an opportunity is another story.

I think Carroll is good under pressure unlike many other players in our side.

I think his decision making particularly under pressure is one of his weaknesses. Given where he is at and what we have coming through, I think he would be a 3rd up tall at Sandy. But he has struggled to hold down that role so far at TBO.

Not a chance. These changes would do nothing for the club in the long term. White's gone and Carroll has no future in AFL. Newton has to be played and Bell was ok yesterday. No reason to drop him.

Can you offer any logical explanation why you would make these changes and how they would benefit the club

Personally I think Carroll has a future. He's contracted for 2009 and could play a role on the opposing teams 3rd tall.

White, It wont be a move to benefit our future, unless he plays well for the rest of the season and continues on into 09. For his selection, I think its just to help Jamar, and he wont have a negative impact on the game. Im sure of it.

Personally I think Carroll has a future. He's contracted for 2009 and could play a role on the opposing teams 3rd tall.

White, It wont be a move to benefit our future, unless he plays well for the rest of the season and continues on into 09. For his selection, I think its just to help Jamar, and he wont have a negative impact on the game. Im sure of it.

Ok, fair enough. But at best both these players may give us a handful of good games next year. I don't think White helps Jamar, who's playing better without White. Carroll will never be anything more than a good ordinary player, alongside a host of others such as Wheatley, PJohnson, Jamar, Warnock, Bruce(since his disposal imploded), Whelan(post injuries), Jones(Yes I know he tries and he does earn his spot but his speed and disposal??), CJohnson and there's more. Fact is we have too many of them and we need to replace them if we are to win a premiership. We must build for the future and I doubt all of these players are going to be around when we do.

RR is the expert on all things, however if you look at Bailey's style this year, he does not push players into the seniors after long lay offs. See Whelan, Bate, Bartram, Rivers etc. McDonald is a back to back B&F winner and I'm sure will be around next year if he desires. Bailey has used him down back this year to great effect, he will be a definite inclusion next week if fit.

Not sure if he travelled to Perth, however Bailey has also named unfit Emergencies this year, see Petterd round 2, and Holland the week after he played (not sure why he does it). None of your arguments are strong about Junior being a thing of the past, admittedly his best football may be behind him, but he still has a lot to offer. You'd wonder why he was nominated as co-captain if was a thing of the past.

Keep going Junior.

This happened at the end of 2007 when Riley put a number of games into Ward, N.Brown and Picket in the last 8 rnds when they werent even on the list the next year. This was a big mistake and a pointless practise.

Sooo..you agree with my post then.

They did this week. Why would they have taken him to Perth as emergency if he was not fit?

I think they took him, because they waited to see on another player if they would come up. I still have the feeling that there is one or two players struggling to come up week to week. I did post last week that Jones from what I've heard has been sore of late. Bruce also. I think that's why they took him.

Jamar has Johnson for help, why would he need White's help as well?

Sooo..you agree with my post then.

to a certain extent. whilst i agree it's wrong to give games to players that wont be there next year, i also agree that it's wrong not to reward players who are dominating in the VFL. sends the wrong message. yze on what i've read deserves another go.