Getting rid of the $4.5 million dollar debt?

Supreme_Demon

G'day fellow Demons Supporters!

I know this sounds crazy..but I think we should set up a fund to help get rid of the debt that the Melbourne Football Club has by ourselves. If enough people donate we can get rid of the debt of $4.5 million in a year or so.

I know some people have talked about the $2 facebook initiative. And I support that idea.

But I think there are other ways we can also send money to the Red & Blue Foundation.

Remember it is tax deductable!!! ;)

Technically if 20,000 members saved up $500 each and donated it to the Red & Blue Foundation that would be in total $10 million dollars! That would pay off the MFC debt and leave plenty left over! The Raffle of $200 for a ticket will also help the MFC out a lot and I encourage people to be part of that.

There are probably heaps of ways that we can raise money for the Melbourne Football Club and not rely on the kindness of millionaires all the time (that doesn't mean we would refuse their generosity either though!). Hey! If somebody really wanted to we could ask Matt Damon for a donation seeing as he's a very well paid Hollywood actor and we gave him Melbourne Demons jumper a few years ago! "C'mon Matt! You've got money to burn!"

What about a "help save the MFC" telephone appeal? A bit like the Good Friday appeal where people call in and donate money? We could have this done in conjuction with The Footy Show perhaps? Have anybody who wants to keep the Melbourne Football Club alive donate money to us. It would save having to go around rattling tins at least. I also agree that the AFL should not have to support us forever but it is a disgrace if they plan to basically "kill us off" by prematurely taking away our funding at the end of this year before we are ready to fend for ourselves. Besides taking away the funding would basically destroy, not just the Melbourne Demons but the Kangaroos and the Bulldogs too! The AFL are greedy and have 100's of millions of dollars from their TV rights deal to use at their disposal.

Nevertheless, there are probably HEAPS of other ideas we could have a look at too! I just wanted to get the ball rolling and I hope others will add to this thread.

AS MEMBERS AND SUPPORTERS OF THE MELBOURNE DEMONS (THE OLDEST FOOTBALL CLUB IN THE WORLD!!!) WE SHOULD DO OUR BIT TO KEEP OUR CLUB ALIVE!

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Interesting concepts Supreme Demon

With 28,000 odd members its $161.00 each to wipe off the debt.

So as a catch phrase the MFC could launch the 161 Club

With a simple badge that any supporter could wear as recognition.

Of course not all members could afford it [it is a lot of pocket money for a young member].

But if it gained momentum it could go hell of a long way to clearing the slate.

Interesting concepts Supreme Demon

With 28,000 odd members its $161.00 each to wipe off the debt.

So as a catch phrase the MFC could launch the 161 Club

Or you could just have the, Dual Membership Club, where everyone buys a second membership. Would go close to wiping our debt and our membership would become 56,000.

Donating this much money sounds like a pipe dream. I agree that as supporters we can help, and this momemtum could spill into better sponsorship etc., but really, our club is a business and should be run as such. It should be self sustainable and able to find its own avenues to get out of debt, albeit hopefully with a lot of supporter help

Or you could just have the, Dual Membership Club, where everyone buys a second membership. Would go close to wiping our debt and our membership would become 56,000.

Donating this much money sounds like a pipe dream. I agree that as supporters we can help, and this momemtum could spill into better sponsorship etc., but really, our club is a business and should be run as such. It should be self sustainable and able to find its own avenues to get out of debt, albeit hopefully with a lot of supporter help

Quite valid points about the business going forward...but you've got to paddle out of the deep water before slithering up the beach, turning your fins into limbs, and starting to crawl, walk and run.

Slapping down $161.00 in one hit will be too much to ask for many supporters, and so you would be in la-la land if you expected a 100% take-up.

However you could get better success if it were spread over 8 monthly instalments of $20 [ = half a bucket of chips at the darklands].

It saddens me that their are VERY RICH toff Demon supporters that have MILLIONS OF DOLLARS in the bank, yet they wont wipe the debts out for the MFC.

If I was a millionaire, I would wipe it out myself.

Any member or coterie member who has millions in the bank yet isnt joining with other fellow toffs to wipe the debt, well they are not true supporters.

All good ideas. However, I A N, hit it on the head. Its allot of money to ask people to pledge.

I like 45's idea. If we could somehow put a proposal in to Jimmy to give extra incentives for those who purchase dual memberships. Like once off access into the locker rooms, or for those who purchase 3 or 4 or more memberships, a quarter or game in the coaches box etc etc.

I would be more than happy to pledge extra money for the chance to experience the coaches box or something along those lines.

As I am currently finishing off my business degree, I would be more than happy to write up a proposal for the board to have a look at. Cant hurt at all.

It saddens me that their are VERY RICH toff Demon supporters that have MILLIONS OF DOLLARS in the bank, yet they wont wipe the debts out for the MFC.

Any member or coterie member who has millions in the bank yet isnt joining with other fellow toffs to wipe the debt, well they are not true supporters.

If I was a multi millionaire, I would wipe it out myself as well as the Collingwood football club...

Good ideas all round. I highly endorse the 'vigilante' actions taken, as the club itself has neglected to do enough in the past.

Well I'm working on it YM [in between Posts] and I'm afraid with still some way to go yet.

In the meantime thankfully Jim has got a few ready made moguls on the case already.

Sadly though as has often been the case at many AFL clubs a lot of wealthy people have come to the rescue of their clubs, with the best of intentions, and it usually doesn't end well for them.

Same can be said for Board members...who donate a truckload of time and energy, and then more often as not just get get slagged off for all their efforts.

Good luck to the new board members...lets close ranks and "Get on Board"

How about a scarf that isn't really gay to be sent to those who purchase a 2nd.

We had a guy who did that. His name was Joseph. I think you know his surname.

You can give someone a fish or teach them how to fish.

We had a guy who did that. His name was Joseph. I think you know his surname.

You can give someone a fish or teach them how to fish.

Sadly he caused more problems than he fixed, not that he really fixed any problems though.

We shouldn't need to rely on millionaires.

The average rank-and-file Melbourne supporter should be able to contribute to paying off the MFC's debt.

At Hawthorn they were able to wipe off their debt with the efforts of their supporters. We should do the same!

If over 20,000 members save up $50 each week for 10 weeks we could then make up around $500 each. Then we would have $10 million dollars to donate to the Red & Blue Foundation! I know it sounds difficult but it IS possible! All the MFC needs to do is ask members/supporters to donate $50 a week for 10 weeks...or $25 for 20 weeks and we can raise the money in about a year.

We have to think POSITIVE and try and get something going!

At Hawthorn they were able to wipe off their debt with the efforts of their supporters. We should do the same!

It also had something to do with their pompas arse president, who sold off all of their assets ( much like he did with the state ) and sold a number of games to Tasmania, resulting in a server lack of identity and isolating their Victorian members.

We don’t have that luxury.

I'm thinking that the only way to get something like this off the ground is to get the ball rolling and show people that we are dead set on not letting this club die. I think it's a fantastic idea.

Who knows. Some millionaire closet Demons fan could be inspired by our passion and help out the club as well.

I'm so in.

Perhaps even a salary sacrifice situation.

Much like with super, if the MFC could set up an account were we could salary sacrifice our desired amount each fortnight.

No hassles, wouldn’t even notice it come out!

$10.00 a fortnight, for 26 fortnights is $260. Times that by say 10,000 members (realistically) you’re looking at $2600000.00 and so on.

Its a bloody good start!

The problem with a double membership is the administration of it.. wasted money. Sort of defeats the purpose.. Something simple like the 161 or something has merit ( to me ) .

Lets wait and see what the club has in mind with new governorship.

Much like with super, if the MFC could set up an account were we could salary sacrifice our desired amount each fortnight.

$10.00 a fortnight, for 26 fortnights is $260. Times that by say 10,000 members (realistically) you’re looking at $2600000.00 and so on.

Its a bloody good start!

I know I started at $161 and the market's been bid as high as $500 before some late selling saw it drop to $260 on profit taking.

We could play on the foundation year of our club and make the amount $18.58 per fortnight for 10 fortnights...that not too rich for most.

i have an idea...or a couple

when we get memberships, we should be sent a little money jar and the club should say that for every win, each person should put in a dollar, or everytime people buy a coffee, they should put in a dollar

one dollar a day adds up

also, i like the idea of counting how many consecutive years of membership and we should do what hawthorn do and each year, people get a scarf saying "6" year member or "10" year member...

also, the pet memberships need to be spruiked up more because there are a lot of labradors waltzing around toorak

I'd love too, but sadly since my accident over 4 months ago I have not worked, nor can I for at least another 2 months so things like this are sometimes out of peoples reach.

Yeah thats not a problem at all. Certainly understand that. But its something that we could run for a while, so anyone would be free to jump on board at any time.

Its a bloody good start!

Yep - great idea. At the moment, our reserved seat family membership is deducted monthly. I would be willing to pledge an extra 20 clams a month over the next 2 - 3 years to help eradicate this debt.

BTW, there's no such thing a s a rusty kinga, just 'weathered' ;)

PS I've restored a HT Prem - have you got one yourself?

i have an idea...or a couple

when we get memberships, we should be sent a little money jar and the club should say that for every win, each person should put in a dollar, or everytime people buy a coffee, they should put in a dollar

one dollar a day adds up

also, i like the idea of counting how many consecutive years of membership and we should do what hawthorn do and each year, people get a scarf saying "6" year member or "10" year member...

also, the pet memberships need to be spruiked up more because there are a lot of labradors waltzing around toorak

All good ideas, perhaps though substituting putting money-in-for-a-win with a "swear box"...and we'll all get there a lot faster.