Is it good to be down in 08?

tooly

With the introduction of two new AFL teams in a couple of years... is now the best time to be at the bottom of the ladder so we get the top draft picks now? Obviously as these will be harder to get in the future as the new teams will most likely get everything they want, including the top draft picks and some of our players.

I would like to know what you think about this as I beleive that we are actually in a good situation to take full advantage of the draft and we also have a few young players who are showing great potential.

Is the flag looming?

We definitely picked the right year. If we dont finish last or second last it will be a waste.

Need either Rich or Natanui.

So in 07 we got 3 picks in the top20

in 08 we will get another two picks which should be 5 off the top 40 players in two years

can only help. Plus in an early pick in the PSD this year with money to spend.

I have a question that hope can be cleared up;

If the first 5 are being given away to new teams, and we win less than 5 this year and next (which i don't think we will), does that mean we get picks 6 and 7?

If so, this isn't such a bad result, and we'd still be in the market to trade older players for other draft picks.

I have a question that hope can be cleared up;

If the first 5 are being given away to new teams, and we win less than 5 this year and next (which i don't think we will), does that mean we get picks 6 and 7?

If so, this isn't such a bad result, and we'd still be in the market to trade older players for other draft picks.

Thats a good question. If I had to guess, I would have thought our priority pick would still come in first, giving us 1 and 7. But who knows

best result for the club will be to finish 2nd last

Disagree. there are 2 standouts this season- Rich and Naitanui. Either one could legitimately get picked number 1, so number 2 will get an awesome player.

Hurley as the best KPP in the draft will be a champion also, so pick 3 wouldn't be a total disaster either. anything lower than that ill be thinking what a waste of a bad year.

and YES, this is the proper year to bottom out. this year get a priority, even next year we can still bottom out and have the normal picks unaffected.

Only in 2010 will the draft picks be harder to get...by then we should be climbing the ladder.

I love this club and hate to lose but this year it`s sitting ok with me. Yes it will be the last year to stock up with drafts before new clubs have a big impact. For me its gotta be Naitinui. Our midfield stocks are ok but not so our rucks. We need a freakish marquee player more than anyone. Someone to pull them through the gate and be the face of a new era. We have to have him

It's not so much this year as next. We won't win a flag next year, and would be less than a 50% chance of making the 8, so while I don't advocate tanking, getting a priority BEFORE round 1 would be pretty awesome... ASSUMING the GC picks don't come into effect from '09...

That would mean we get picks 3, 14 and 21 in '07, 1, 17 and maybe 18-20 as well in '08, and then picks 1 and another that'll be 2, 3 or 4...

So that's 2 X pick #1, pick #2 (ish), pick #3, picks 14, 17, 18, 19 and 21 over the space of three years... to go with our current young crop that will be a much better 22. Maybe not a premiership winning one, but one that Bailey can work with and develop....

If we can't grab 3-5 stars out of that we're doing something VERY wrong.

I still want to win a few games. It's important to get a winning culture, but it is definately a year of learning. Supporters have just gotta stick Fat.

Winning isn't a result of winning, it's a result of doing the necessary things & just plain old hard work.

You don't have to be up the ladder to learn to win. You have to learn to do the right things before the wins come, then you rise up the ladder...? If you have the class to outshine the other hard working unit.

Winning isn't a result of winning, it's a result of doing the necessary things & just plain old hard work.

You don't have to be up the ladder to learn to win. You have to learn to do the right things before the wins come, then you rise up the ladder...? If you have the class to outshine the other hard working unit.

I agree

just look at sydney... no real stars (game winners)

they just work harder around the packs then any other team.. and are coached to play to their strengths..

I would love to get Hurley and Watts hopefully Watts will be around second round. Two book ends. We don't need a ruck or another midfielder we need KPP. Our Rucks OK not great but will get us by we will have 5 on our list White, Jamar, PJ, Meesen, Spencer plus Martin. We still haven't seen Maric, Grimes or Cheny add them to Mclean, Jones, Sylvia, Valenti, McDonald, Moloney, Buckley, Davey, Morton, CJ, Petterd, Bartram, Bate, Dunn, Green, Bruce and I'm sure I've missed a couple we have midfielders agree we need another fast highly skilled ball magnet but look at the below KPP

Backs

Frawley, Rivers, Warnock, Garland, Martin

Forwards

Robbo, Miller, Bate, Newton, Dunn

Now you tell me which areas are our weakest.

I don't like this talk of 'we need to come last or second last'.

The rewards are only incremental, unless you're looking at a numer one priority pick, which we're not and which we're unlikely to see next year.

I'd tip us about 50/50 to finish with more than four wins, so me might not get the bonus pick at the end of round 1 either.

I'm starting to really like Hurley, emotionally I feel like he could be our next David Neitz, which is comforting I s'pose.

Pick 3, an honourable enough distance from the spoon and good signs of improvement in the second half of the year, pick 17 for having just three more wins, and finishing ahead of Essendon on % :)

We definitely picked the right year. If we dont finish last or second last it will be a waste.

Need either Rich or Natanui.

Either of these two would be fine acquisitions to the list...whether or not they are the best for the MFC's list situation I am not so sure. A lot will depend upon whether we are in a position to gain a gun in the PSD and what type of player they are.

I appreciate that we need another midfielder with real zip, to bolster our ruck stocks, and some more KPP players.

I think what our list needs in order of preference is:

1/ KPP

2/ Midfielder with zip

3/ Ruckman.

So I'd suggest to you that the draft selection choice is broader then Natanui V Rich

Some won't agree with me, but imo we've not had a genuine superstar of the competition since Flower. I also believe that premierships are almost always won when good teams are topped up by superstars - and yes they've rarely been pick one. The AFL have created a system where poor performances are rewarded with access to the best talent in the land, and with far better talent identification these days the prospect of having picks 1 or 2 are invaluable. Would a club trade pick 1 or 2 these days ? There's not a realistic scenario where they would, as Hawthorn wouldn't trade Buddy for pick one and there's probably no other player that would get that kind of deal done.

I don't like losing and I want to see our team have a crack every time they take the field. And if the result at year's end determines we have pick one or two I'll be very happy. The Saints have shown that the best picks won't guarantee success, but the Hawks have shown that great talent with the right culture goes a long way.

Sometimes Its good to take one step back, to take two foward.

finals are gone for this year and next ( I think) so we could end up

having 3 top five picks in 3 years which can only be good from

now on to get us were it takes to win a flag.

I understand what you are saying but do nonot entirely agree. A lot of our senior players have played Finals so a long Hiatus of losses may be a bad thing. A win sends belief down the line. I totally agree about the Learning process. Just always a sprinkling of wins is so important. If not DB is going to have to be a completely Inspirational Coach. Maybe that's why he got the job-We shall all see..........

I understand what you are saying but do nonot entirely agree. A lot of our senior players have played Finals so a long Hiatus of losses may be a bad thing. A win sends belief down the line. I totally agree about the Learning process. Just always a sprinkling of wins is so important. If not DB is going to have to be a completely Inspirational Coach. Maybe that's why he got the job-We shall all see..........

I know what you mean but the problem is those players who played finals footy aren't good enough to be the drivers of a grand final appointment. Weren't good enough in their prime & still aren't good enough in their late 20's.

We need to find the right kids to become DEES who will add to the Jones's, Mcleans, Sylvia's, Bates, Bartrams, & maybe Mortons of this team.

We're heading in the right direction but we're not there yet. We have this year & next to add to our quality youth, before we start rising up the ladder purely on age bracket,,,, talent aside. If we haven't sufficient quality by the start of 2010 it will become incredibly hard to keep overtaking our opposition in the quality recruit stakes & we could start slipping like we've seen the Sainters doing..