Demons want land at Casey

w00dy

Casey is only a Summer training base, until the new stadium (and everything around it) is complete.

At the moment, Melbourne don't have a permanent Summer training base.

Over Winter ( or at least until the cricket finishes) Melbourne have Junction Oval.

When the new stadium is complete, both Summer and Winter training will be done there.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Living across the road from Casey Fields and obviously getting the local paper. i am pretty sure it would be a permanent summer training base... As was stated on the front page of the local paper, a few people from the mfc and the local council had dinner/meeting at the venue during the week to nut out a few things. The council will be spending a few bucks (at the rate payers expense of course) on upgrading the facilities for the dees to base themselves there... i don't know this for sure but i would be pretty surprised if the dees were only using it short term and the council was going to fork out big bucks... Look up the article under cranbourne news if you like and see what you reckon...(local journalism from a pimply faced kid at its best) :lol:

Casey is only a Summer training base, until the new stadium (and everything around it) is complete.

At the moment, Melbourne don't have a permanent Summer training base.

Over Winter ( or at least until the cricket finishes) Melbourne have Junction Oval.

When the new stadium is complete, both Summer and Winter training will be done there.

No, the Casey proposal is for full time at Cranbourne until Olympic Park is up and running and then winter training at OP and summer training at Casey Fields in Cranbourne.

Could work, the Yankees have a summer training base at Tampa in Florida where the local (lower level) team is called the Tampa Yankees.

I think it's a good idea if they can get it done, also having some involvement with local councils, I would suggest they sell the lack of all year round presence of the Demons as a plus. Basically saying "you want these guys taking away these brand new facilities we bought? Don't you want to use them?"

Living across the road from Casey Fields and obviously getting the local paper. i am pretty sure it would be a permanent summer training base... As was stated on the front page of the local paper, a few people from the mfc and the local council had dinner/meeting at the venue during the week to nut out a few things. The council will be spending a few bucks (at the rate payers expense of course) on upgrading the facilities for the dees to base themselves there... i don't know this for sure but i would be pretty surprised if the dees were only using it short term and the council was going to fork out big bucks... Look up the article under cranbourne news if you like and see what you reckon...(local journalism from a pimply faced kid at its best) :lol:

Found the article in the Berwick News:

http://www.senews.com.au/story/58318

The terminology for the Casey Fields project, if it comes off would be:

• “full time training base” – this would apply from the start of the next pre-season until occupancy of the rectangular stadium (likely to be in around April 2010)

• “summer training base” – this would apply from the 2010/2011 summer, and would occur each summer.

one thing that has made me curious is why the club would want to buy land at it's summer training base... we will have our base at the olympic park precinct, so why would we want to buy land in cranbourne? it's only going to increase our debt...

my theory is that the club sees this as an opportunity to increase revenues... they would be getting land for a very cheap price...

I think the club may look to use the facilities at casey fields as some kind of leisure centre or gym, open to the public... the area is growing, and to get a significant parcel of land for that price, the club could establish a significant gym/leisure centre for a very decent price... this would provide a constant non-football revenue stream to the club which would help secure our future...

My understanding is the Dees arent buying any land.!! thats the whole point !! Some really need to read before jumping in !! lol. As part of the deal to bring the Dees to Casey the Council will "provide' land to the value of approx 600g to the new development( possibly more) . MFC and the AFL will pay to develop it. This ,I must confess is not the full deal either but is as much as anyones agreed in principal to and put into the public domain . More , no doubt will come out when ink is put to paper

It gets better doesnt it !! :)) lol. Was told a little 'chinese whisper ' like story a coupe of weeks ago... but as it was only that just kept to self. Seems someone was pretty close to it. Figures are still a little rubery til signed off on. I was given the impression that the AFL was coming to the party more.. maybe they will..sort of unofficially through one of those hard to account special funding programs *wink*.

The Dees are keen to get a sniff of some land( realisable ) . This is simply to give it an assett. You can borrow against assetts and we have bugger all at present. This is a sensible approach for mine.

The foot trafic and exposure a sports complex like this will get is terrific.. A footy team involved is going to get some pretty good flow on in the wash up !!

Will have to wait to see if rest of the gossip comes through :)..... ( not much..just a bit more )

Sponsorshp for 2009 ought to be interesting .........

Ok, the setup is making more sense to me now.

Casey Fields -

we are coming on board as a 'major user' of the field, ensuring the viability of the new development which Casey area needs.

For our part, we get a soft deal on the land involved (since our use of it boosts the AFL investment and gives it a steady primary tenent) and a reasonable quality, and stable, training facility.

This field is ultimately to be used as a summer training camp, away from our main facilities to be built at Olympic Park.

This will particularly suit the locals, who get one, big stable tenant but also get good access to the field/facilities during their own footy season.

That sounds pretty win-win to me, we'll see how the details pan out.

Olympic Park -

Big-arse, state of the art facilities in the heart of Melbourne, right near the 'G. Yes please.

A rectangular field and stadium is being built for use by Soccer & Rugby League Co-tenants.

Facilities such as weight rooms, plunge pools, offices and meeting space will all be on site together, dedicated to our use.

An existing oval wll be upgraded to be used as our practice field.

The athletics facilities are getting shunted to a new location outside the precinct to make space for all this.

Collingwood will still have it's existing facilities in the precinct, but will not have ownership/control of the practice field. They will in fact be physically further away from the field than our setup :P and have to walk past our offices to get there!

If Collingwood don't like it they can [censored] right off because plenty of other clubs (eg Richmond, St. Kilda) would be delighted to take a share of the precinct to replace the filth.

In all, this sounds a lot like it's Paul Gardner's 'legacy project', and if it goes to plan then it will indeed be a huge achievement. My tip is that he'll stand down from the presidency as soon as the ink dries on all the leases and commitments.

Olympic Park -

Big-arse, state of the art facilities in the heart of Melbourne, right near the 'G. Yes please.

A rectangular field and stadium is being built for use by Soccer & Rugby League Co-tenants.

Facilities such as weight rooms, plunge pools, offices and meeting space will all be on site together, dedicated to our use.

An existing oval wll be upgraded to be used as our practice field.

The athletics facilities are getting shunted to a new location outside the precinct to make space for all this.

Collingwood will still have it's existing facilities in the precinct, but will not have ownership/control of the practice field. They will in fact be physically further away from the field than our setup :P and have to walk past our offices to get there!

If Collingwood don't like it they can [censored] right off because plenty of other clubs (eg Richmond, St. Kilda) would be delighted to take a share of the precinct to replace the filth.

In all, this sounds a lot like it's Paul Gardner's 'legacy project', and if it goes to plan then it will indeed be a huge achievement. My tip is that he'll stand down from the presidency as soon as the ink dries on all the leases and commitments.

not quite right... collingwood currently train on gosch's paddock, which will become our training ground, and will be given a modest upgrade...

collingwood are going to redevelop olympic park into a footy oval, which will become their training ground, so they don't have to walk past us to get to their training ground or share their training ground...

Any which way it seems we will go from having everyones hand-me-downs in respect of training facilites to TWO brand new Training facilities !! Cant be too bad ;):rolleyes::)

I don't know about you guys - and gals - but things are sounding good.

Just a quick question though: ignoring the 'lets tap into a growing area' slant, is there any reason we would want a dedicated summer training base separate to our 'in-season' home?

I don't know about you guys - and gals - but things are sounding good.

Just a quick question though: ignoring the 'lets tap into a growing area' slant, is there any reason we would want a dedicated summer training base separate to our 'in-season' home?

I would think that we wouldn't want to be in the RLA precinct during January. Perhaps the gym facilities are going to be shared between the Storm, Victory and ourselves. Having our own facilities elsewhere during Victory's season would then make sense. Training at Gosch's Paddock will never be closed; the last Big Carl game was held there, it is very open. Summer is when you work on your tactics, Casey Fields will be much better for closed sessions.

Getting a foothold in a growth area, priceless.

Casey Fields will be much better for closed sessions.

i agree... one of the good things about casey... if the coaches wanted to hold a closed session during the football season, they could use casey fields, an option which we won't have at gosch's paddock... i think this is one of the benefits of having 2 bases...

i agree... one of the good things about casey... if the coaches wanted to hold a closed session during the football season, they could use casey fields, an option which we won't have at gosch's paddock... i think this is one of the benefits of having 2 bases...

Better get to Bunnings and buy a lot of shadecloth!