• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Demons want land at Casey

w00dy

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/demo...9839651311.html

"We hope to know sometime this week whether or not Casey is keen to negotiate with us," said McNamee, who denied the club would look at a permanent relocation from the MCG-Olympic Park precinct. The club also indicated it would not push to share a training ground with Collingwood at the Olympic Park site once the new rectangular stadium was completed but would more likely train at Gosch's Paddock No. 2, the Magpies' current venue.

Very interesting ... I still think it would be a mistake to relocate there over summer, but it seems that is what the club is looking at doing. looks like it will be resolved soon, so watch this space...

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like it's not over the line yet anyway, so you might still avoid having to visit Casey:

From the same article:

"Casey chief executive Mike Tyler last night refuted the claim by Demons chairman Paul Gardner that the move from the Junction Oval to Casey was a "done deal"."

Hope it works out though!

This is the more interesting paragraph:

"... the Casey council has continued to attempt to persuade the Demons to consider a permanent move to the home of VFL club the Scorpions, currently aligned with the Saints but likely to join forces with Melbourne by 2010."

It might be Caro joining a few more dots than there really are, but it throws up a whole new scenario vis-a-vis Sandringham.

This is quite confusing but as far as I can tell - the deal to train there until until our new home is ready was pretty much over the line (and probably still is). But, that deal was using Casey / Council owned land and facilities. The (assetless) MFC now want to invest and own facilities for their permanent summer training base and full time training base until the olympic park stadium is ready. Risky and means a permanent summer training facility in the boonies. I suppose they have to jump in from the start and take a risk if thats there push for assets

I think the move to Casey is a fantastic opportunity for growth.

While the new facilities in the heart of the city are important, we are not going to gain any new members in the CBD.

Moving to Casey, even if it's only during summer, will enable us to not only have a permanent training spot while our own stadium is being built, but is also a chance to recruit supporters and create a base of followers outside of Melbourne's inner suburbs.

While the new facilities in the heart of the city are important, we are not going to gain any new members in the CBD.

Moving to Casey, even if it's only during summer, will enable us to not only have a permanent training spot while our own stadium is being built, but is also a chance to recruit supporters and create a base of followers outside of Melbourne's inner suburbs.

I agree but are we having an each way bet? Should it be one or the other?

I think having a suburban base is important as is being close to our home, the MCG. But will the people of Casey respond if we are only half committed?

I remain somewhat confused by all of this - why do we need Casey if we are to get exclusive use of the training facility at Gosch's Paddock ?

As a hypothetical.. Should we move out there and link up with the Scorpions. ( a logical move for mine ) and do the clever ..get out in the schools and communities etc ..whillst still having a foot back in the city is a clever thing. I see no need to be all of one thong or the other just take what works from both.

The Toiges have already lined up the northern suburbs growth areas as a pathway to future members, we ought to be the ones lining up the South Estern growth areas. First in..best dressed.

There is a hell of a lot of upside to this if handled well. Im sure ( wel confident ) that people will take to us. with some very likable and affable young players coming through...they can be our pinup players for the new kids coming into the schools. Think about it..when did most of us decide our allegiances ?? in Primary School !!

Think about it..when did most of us decide our allegiances ?? in Primary School !!

Exactly right !!! Growth corridor, mums & dads with new homes young kids. In several years, the demons jumper will be the predominant colour at the local Auskicks.

I think that this is a great move and if done correctly it presents a wonderful opportunity to build our supporter base. In fact I'd be more than happy if the club went even further and once the ground has been developed to play the odd home game there against the interstate clubs. If we handled it smartly (ie taking control of catering etc) then it could become a lucrative little home base. It would be a very brave move but one which I would support.

One thing that strikes me is that this is a BOLD move. Seems the club is no longer content to trade exclusively on past history and is looking far and wide for solutions to our plight.

The next 12 months are shaping up as the most important in our 150 year history.

As a hypothetical.. Should we move out there and link up with the Scorpions. ( a logical move for mine ) and do the clever ..get out in the schools and communities etc ..whillst still having a foot back in the city is a clever thing. I see no need to be all of one thong or the other just take what works from both.

The Toiges have already lined up the northern suburbs growth areas as a pathway to future members, we ought to be the ones lining up the South Estern growth areas. First in..best dressed.

There is a hell of a lot of upside to this if handled well. Im sure ( wel confident ) that people will take to us. with some very likable and affable young players coming through...they can be our pinup players for the new kids coming into the schools. Think about it..when did most of us decide our allegiances ?? in Primary School !!

I think we sing from the same hymn book BB59. While it may be poor form to quote yourself, below is an excerpt from a discussion I had with our forum friend casey scorp. The full thread is http://demonland.ugbox.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=9801

We have to have our base near the CBD during the season, to me that's a given. But if we have a summer base at Casey Fields we have to be sure not to neglect the area during the footy season. The club needs to be highly visible. Regularly scheduled training sessions should still take place there, though the bulk of training takes place at Olympic Park. These sessions should be at times where kids can turn up to watch, then have a kick on the ground after training. Hopefully the coaching staff would give the nod for a few (or most) players to join in, chat to the kids, sign autographs, give away some family passes to MFC games. Embrace the local population with a few "Hawthorn style" sausage sizzles after training where they can meet & greet the players.

We need an aggressive approach to getting our players into the primary schools to run clinics, hand out some "made in China" red & blue footys (we have to get something out of the China trip). We can pinch Collingwood's idea where they play a "match" against a local primary school. Offer footy "scholarships" in the secondary schools where the winners get to do a week of (modified) training with the club. There is so much more that can be easily & inexpensively be done to generate support in the area & most of it requires our players’ presence. We should have players in the schools the day the contract is signed. We are on the bones of our arse & our players, despite the team's appalling form, are our only marketable asset if we are trying to win the hearts & minds of kids.

But we can't be seen as being exclusively Casey. If we move there full-time, that's what will happen over time & we can't afford that. As big as Geelong is, they would wither & die if they relied exclusively on the support they get from that city. Their Melbourne based supporters are vital to them.

It's a much bigger deal than the shape of the stadium that houses our gym !

casey scorp favours a full relocation to Casey & he fights a good fight for his belief. I see this as a chance to get the best of both worlds. I agree that the greatest gains are to be made in primary schools in terms of getting kids to become Demons. We shouldn't ignore the secondary schools in terms of establishing our "brand" in the area. I'd also love to see the club utilise some of our more presentable players & run "girls-only" footy clinics. They are more likely to switch allegiance than boys. Many of those girls one day become mums and mums are one of the key factors that determine who kids follow in the footy. Gotta think of the future !

I agree, and you'd think that this is what we have to do if we go there.

Simply training there isn't enough - I imagine we'd need to affiliate with Casey to make it worthwhile, in terms of building some supporter base.

I wonder if affiliating with Casey Scorpions would be a good football move. I don't really know anything about their Club etc, but we've seemed to do alright with Sandringham.

I wonder if affiliating with Casey Scorpions would be a good football move. I don't really know anything about their Club etc, but we've seemed to do alright with Sandringham.

People keep saying we've done well with the Sandringham alliance, but I've never really believed it. How have we done well? Sure, they won premierships, but that does nothing for us. Some say it develops a wining culture with our younger players... again, that has not transferred to our own side.

Bring on the Casey Scorps! This Casey Fields project is incredibly important and a very good move from a membership perspective.

People keep saying we've done well with the Sandringham alliance, but I've never really believed it. How have we done well? Sure, they won premierships, but that does nothing for us. Some say it develops a wining culture with our younger players... again, that has not transferred to our own side.

I said we've seemed to do alright. Anyway, in what aspects do you think it compare poorly with most other Clubs' affiliations?

This is quite confusing but as far as I can tell - the deal to train there until until our new home is ready was pretty much over the line (and probably still is). But, that deal was using Casey / Council owned land and facilities. The (assetless) MFC now want to invest and own facilities for their permanent summer training base and full time training base until the olympic park stadium is ready. Risky and means a permanent summer training facility in the boonies. I suppose they have to jump in from the start and take a risk if thats there push for assets

The boonies?

IIRC Casey is the fastest growing municipality in Victoria situated in the heart of Melbourne's major growth corridor.

http://www.casey.vic.gov.au/demographics/article.asp?Item=30

I see no problems with a summer training base being developed there.

I said we've seemed to do alright. Anyway, in what aspects do you think it compare poorly with most other Clubs' affiliations?

I never said we've done poorly, just more of indifference. Hasn't be bad, hasn't been great.

Just saying it should not be an issue when deciding to align with Casey Scorpians

I think summer train @ Casey is an excellent idea, for all the reasons people have mentioned above.

For one thing at least we'd no longer be summer football nomads, going from oneplace to another. And i think with some good marketing we might become the no.1 supported team in the Casey area. Like others have said, we would couldn't completely neglect it during the season, a few sausage sizzles go a long way.

Although can someone explain to me the info in the article. Are we going to get a facilities in Casey as well is at Olympic Park? I.e. Weights, corporate rooms, Administration, pools etc? So we'd have two facilities?

Hawthorn, for eg, have Box Hill- effectively a reserve team. BH plays who Hawthorn wants, and where they want. They got flogged by Sandy recently, but played some very young hawks. All the effort is for Hawthorn and their planning, not winning premierships for the VFL side.

Collingwood also run their own reserves side.

Wonder if things will head back to a reserves competition outside of VFL?

if we moved our summer training base there and had the odd training there during the season as go the biff suggested...dont forget we would probably have our vfl side there and they would do all of their trainings there aswell so we wouldnt be really ditching them during the year

I agree, and you'd think that this is what we have to do if we go there.

Simply training there isn't enough - I imagine we'd need to affiliate with Casey to make it worthwhile, in terms of building some supporter base.

I think this is the key, & it seems the preferred football model for reserve Afl players is best served playing within a AFL OPERATED, VFL team. Hence the possibility of two teams playing from within the Casey Fields precinct, the Casey Scorpions, (unless they move to Frankston), or the CASEY DEMONS playing @ Casey Fields on our own Ground which would be built to accomodate smaller AFL Games. I like this scenario.