Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

It should not be impossible to play our VFL team in Yarra Park!

CBDees

I believe we should be looking at another MCC controlled facility for a potential reserves team. The Albert Cricket Ground

Close to the city

Fenced off

MCC controlled

Melbourne have played there before

Not currently utilised by a footy club in winter but instead a lacross club that surely could work around or find a new home

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Cricket_Ground

It's too small and too important for cricket and tennis to be our permanent base, but with a little work would make the perfect VFL home for 12 games a season.

Thoughts?

GRRM have you been there recently?

It is a postage stamp, makes the old Glenferrie look huge.

We should train on the MCG. Stop paying rent elsewhere and put the savings towards an extra re turf when required.

Edit:- fix typo.

Too sensible.

Sounds impossible.

GRRM have you been there recently?

It is a postage stamp, makes the old Glenferrie look huge.

Went past the other day, it's small, but I'm not a regular so I'll do some reserach.

According to google maps it's 142m long by 133m wide. Etihad is 160m by 129m. The MCG is 178 by 148. Glenferrie is 160 by the very narrow 106.

So yeah it's about 20m short of an optimal AFL ground. But that means a great opportunity for our young players to play contested footy! And to take risks via the corridor.

At Sandringham it was the Sauntner. At Casey it's the wind and the distance. I don't think there will ever be a perfect venue. The Albert ground would give us somewhere the fans can get to, with a link to MFC history.

I believe we should be looking at another MCC controlled facility for a potential reserves team. The Albert Cricket Ground

Close to the city

Fenced off

MCC controlled

Melbourne have played there before

Not currently utilised by a footy club in winter but instead a lacross club that surely could work around or find a new home

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Cricket_Ground

It's too small and too important for cricket and tennis to be our permanent base, but with a little work would make the perfect VFL home for 12 games a season.

Thoughts?

I really like this idea. Central location and close to our heartland. Other left-field alternative locations ideas which are close to the city and ripe for development could be the Burnley sporting precinct, Fairfield park precinct or somewhere around Royal Park. Royal Park could be especially appealing if tied in with our relationship with Melbourne Uni. All are within 6km of the MCG and have plenty of space to negotiate with the needs of existing community sporting clubs. What are people's thoughts on these locations?

Sorry but this is a silly idea, sharing with Richmond, may as well stay where we are, at least we are the only AFL team there now, maybe trying to get more signage at AAMI park would be a better step, try to make it our home for now. Doubt it will happen tho. I feel our only option to really make a stand in this town is the MCG, training there and HQ there, with a shop close by.

Until we start making more money by bringing in more members because we are winning more games, we are stuck with undesirable time slots and a VFL team that does not care for us.

why can't we get signage at gosch's when collingwood did when they had it?

That question has been asked before dc. and there was a reason why we could not have signs but for the life of me I cannot remember the reason.

I have a gut feeling that Collingwood got a special deal when the moved in but as we came along later the deal was not as good.

Or they gave Collingwood a dispensation to have sign age when it is not normally allowed.

But I would not bet your left one on that.

I really like this idea. Central location and close to our heartland. Other left-field alternative locations ideas which are close to the city and ripe for development could be the Burnley sporting precinct, Fairfield park precinct or somewhere around Royal Park. Royal Park could be especially appealing if tied in with our relationship with Melbourne Uni. All are within 6km of the MCG and have plenty of space to negotiate with the needs of existing community sporting clubs. What are people's thoughts on these locations?

I like some of these options which are starting to emerge! Not only the historic Albert Ground (despite its size), but also the suggestion of Royal Park! Why cannot we take advantage of our Memorandum of Understanding with UniMelb and develop our VFL team with them? We could even offer international places for elite athletes and sporting scholarships for the Aussie rising stars!

In relation to the Burnley sporting precinct, that is where Richmond should be based as it is in Yarra (formerly City of Richmond), whereas Punt Road and Royal Park are both in City of MELBOURNE!

Keep talking chaps! We'll sort something for PJ by ten years time when it has to be addressed (or 2018 when we revisit Casey)!

why can't we get signage at gosch's when collingwood did when they had it?

The great man Saty answered that one. Said it simply wasn't an option in the contract. Unfortunately our President isn't on the Olympic Park trust board so we don't have as much leverage as others!

All fine. But we have to look at the requirements. For a VFL team we need an oval with change room facilities and also the capability of being fenced and gated as well as facilities for the supporters. To deal with a local council in a desirable area will mean spending a lot of money and we have to ask what exactly is in it for the community and clubs. Inner city local councils are particularly protective of their ovals and park area and all less likely to shell out cash like Casey!

The other thing that we would be wise to do is not spend big money on a VFL team facility and not have it as a permanent base. It's why I suggest the Albert Cricket Ground as it would really only be for our VFL games and require less spending to get up to scratch than modifying a council oval/park.

A potential suggestion for a long term home +/- a VFL home ground would be to enquire about sharing the Melbourne Grammar Sports Complex with them in Port Melbourne. To my knowledge the kids aren't there during the week in school hours. So a change room and perfectly good main oval (plus a 2nd oval) sit there only to be used on weekends and maybe some after school trainings.

Now it would get some heavy use on a Saturday for school sports but we could request Sunday only VFL fixtures which wouldn't be too much of a hassle. The entire area is due to become residential with the closing of the docks/factories etc so maybe we could purchase neighbouring land for a pool/gym/administration facility and secure funds from the council to provide public access to the pool and gym. Then we share the oval with the school who are happy as it seems underutilised currently.

I have no idea if the school or council would be interested. Both ovals also do have cricket pitches. But maybe as part of developing the land next door in to a shared facility we add a 3rd oval without cricket.

The nearly 40 million dollar price tag to build our own facilities scares the heck out of me. I think that's impossible any time soon! We need to look at shared facilities that we have equity in but also can dramatically lower that price tag and secure public and private funding.

• Like 1

Like all the ides but what exactly is wrong with putting greater effort into the Casey alliance.

This is an expanding population growth area is the gateway to the Latrobe Valley and South Gippsland.

accordingly it can attract closer and greater numbers if promoted correctly and can provide a local source of players. With an improved playing list and hopefully performance we should provide an attractive option for players and supporters.

While I demand the retention of Melbourne and our recognised Melbourne brand, The Melbourne Demons can be progressive and transpose our Demon branding to the Casey Demons.

As part of this progress we expand the boundaries of Melbourne into Casey as a recognised suburb as distinct from the Latrobe and Gippsland regions.

We can take ownership of this progressive and expansionary move with the assistance of the AFL as it is an unaligned and unrepresented growth area. At the same time we can use our affiliation with Melbourne Uni and the growth of the inner city docklands area to continue to take a proportion of that heavily represented ( by tenants of MCG and Docklands) market.

Melbourne Football club is the only true expansion of the game that can occur without new teams or a move away fronm tradtional suburbs to brand names. (eg Western Bulldogs) the pies bombers hawks have already recognised that in appealing to the broadest possible market including interstate. We will always have difficulty picking up interstate support due to parochial intolerance. Our only real expansion for support lies within Victoria.

This is a complicated matter and does need some expert opinion attached to it. I hope PJ and Russel Howcroft can prepare a thorough document to convince the AFL and improve our market growth. Of course this is all predicated on an improved product (team) winning matches and having a higher profile.

• Like 2

Like all the ides but what exactly is wrong with putting greater effort into the Casey alliance.

This is an expanding population growth area is the gateway to the Latrobe Valley and South Gippsland.

accordingly it can attract closer and greater numbers if promoted correctly and can provide a local source of players. With an improved playing list and hopefully performance we should provide an attractive option for players and supporters.

While I demand the retention of Melbourne and our recognised Melbourne brand, The Melbourne Demons can be progressive and transpose our Demon branding to the Casey Demons.

As part of this progress we expand the boundaries of Melbourne into Casey as a recognised suburb as distinct from the Latrobe and Gippsland regions.

We can take ownership of this progressive and expansionary move with the assistance of the AFL as it is an unaligned and unrepresented growth area. At the same time we can use our affiliation with Melbourne Uni and the growth of the inner city docklands area to continue to take a proportion of that heavily represented ( by tenants of MCG and Docklands) market.

Melbourne Football club is the only true expansion of the game that can occur without new teams or a move away fronm tradtional suburbs to brand names. (eg Western Bulldogs) the pies bombers hawks have already recognised that in appealing to the broadest possible market including interstate. We will always have difficulty picking up interstate support due to parochial intolerance. Our only real expansion for support lies within Victoria.

This is a complicated matter and does need some expert opinion attached to it. I hope PJ and Russel Howcroft can prepare a thorough document to convince the AFL and improve our market growth. Of course this is all predicated on an improved product (team) winning matches and having a higher profile.

1. The Scorpions aren't happy or well supported now, they are likely be less supported as the Casey Demons

2. The VFL team has actually had some regular season success of late (until last year) and the MFC community program has been slugging away, yet it hasn't translated in to support or good development of MFC or Casey players (no draftees)

3. The Hawks particularly had success capturing the outer East when it was booming, but they played at Waverley. Our AFL team isn't going to play at Casey and after watching the saints at Seaford I doubt we will ever move to Casey, it's simply too much to ask of players and fans

4. PJ has alluded to the 'traditional base' being neglected. Whilst I think we should grow we are already close to 40k members. If we win games and fire up the base who says we can't get to 50k just by getting everyone in our traditional suburbs fired up

5. Without near total control (see Hawthorn at Box Hill) I think you are at a disadvantage being alligned and not having your own team

Now even though we have an eye squarely on the exit door I think it's the first time we have equipped Casey with a probably staff and with respect. Justin Plapp mentioned the talk of players being sent back to the VFL compared to dropped to Casey. Byrnes is a good hire. The midfield depth in particular should provide Casey with a backbone of a team and players fighting for spots professionally not going through the motions.

So just by accident it might all work out and Casey becomes our Box Hill and we have he best of both worlds - a well support reserves side that is also it's own entity and has amazing junior development and kids coming from all over the state (and interstate) to be part of the system and getting drafted. That's the hope. We save 500k a year and we retain our presence in Casey and a great alternative training venue when required.

The great man Saty answered that one. Said it simply wasn't an option in the contract. Unfortunately our President isn't on the Olympic Park trust board so we don't have as much leverage as others!

Beautifully put on all counts, you all do know we have just committed to another five years at AAMI?,

Edited by The Devil Inside

1. The Scorpions aren't happy or well supported now, they are likely be less supported as the Casey Demons

2. The VFL team has actually had some regular season success of late (until last year) and the MFC community program has been slugging away, yet it hasn't translated in to support or good development of MFC or Casey players (no draftees)

3. The Hawks particularly had success capturing the outer East when it was booming, but they played at Waverley. Our AFL team isn't going to play at Casey and after watching the saints at Seaford I doubt we will ever move to Casey, it's simply too much to ask of players and fans

4. PJ has alluded to the 'traditional base' being neglected. Whilst I think we should grow we are already close to 40k members. If we win games and fire up the base who says we can't get to 50k just by getting everyone in our traditional suburbs fired up

5. Without near total control (see Hawthorn at Box Hill) I think you are at a disadvantage being alligned and not having your own team

Now even though we have an eye squarely on the exit door I think it's the first time we have equipped Casey with a probably staff and with respect. Justin Plapp mentioned the talk of players being sent back to the VFL compared to dropped to Casey. Byrnes is a good hire. The midfield depth in particular should provide Casey with a backbone of a team and players fighting for spots professionally not going through the motions.

So just by accident it might all work out and Casey becomes our Box Hill and we have he best of both worlds - a well support reserves side that is also it's own entity and has amazing junior development and kids coming from all over the state (and interstate) to be part of the system and getting drafted. That's the hope. We save 500k a year and we retain our presence in Casey and a great alternative training venue when required.

Thanks GRRM

Thought for a moment you were against it all

But

You Are right

just by accident it may work out.

Just it would seem better to me if we orchestrated and controlled it rather than just having some dumb luck

1.The Scorpions had little identification with the local community other than playing there. Greater buyin can be engendered with genuine recognition and involvement with Casey. eg support local council programs school visits extending into Latrobe Valley and Gippsland

2. Success previously was not identified as a Casey community team and didnt concentrate on locals supported by experienced MFC staff and players. Indeed removing players at crucial finals times was often mentioned by KC here as a negative

3. True Hawks were at Waverley but they havent abandoned that area totally, still visit schools etc there while embracing Tasmania as well.Its the new supporters we can cater for at Casey through judicious management of our resources and maybe even steal some of those on the fringes who supported hawks as a local boxhill team.

4 I certainly dont want to reject our base retain Melbourne and MCG essential . Its about growth winning will help both old and new support

5 I agree we must control the development and that looks like it happening with Plapp and Byrnes comments and actions.

Anyway thanks for your thought would be happy to discuss over a beer if you are ever in Beechworth

Beautifully put on all counts, you all do know we have just committed to another five years at AAMI?,

Of course. But PJ put a 10 year prediction on how long AAMI would suit our needs didn't he? And a 3 year commitment to Casey?

So that means we need to be looking for a VFL base now if we wish to move at the earliest and we really need to start to planning for a long term home now as well. Especially if the goal is a 40million dollar facility. We'd probably need 10 mil of that by ourselves then to go hunting for loans, public and private funds etc. So it's time to be looking now and probably time to be putting 1 mil per year away if we can find it.

Just revisited and in further agreeing with you thought this is about managing it and maybe it can be done

Further re #3

Why cant we get the players to buy into the area and actually live there. some could prefer to be closer to the coast Phillip Island has good surf and the commute to training wouldnt be any worse Physios, fitness and support staff could establish businesses there and serve the local community as well

TDI would have further to scooter but he could cover the sessions in the city while mentoring some outer suburban cadets.

Oops Better lay off the beer I guess.

Great post and interesting thread. I really like the concept of Melbourne adopting the mindset of a progressive expansion team whilst retaining those things that are core to our club. Some innovative, even radical thinking may be required to crack open new markets and help us to become a powerhouse club with 100,000 plus supporters in 10 years time.

I tend to agree with Dpositive that we should evolve into the Casey Demons. In that way it effectively becomes our reserves team as well as our team in the VFL!

Great post and interesting thread. I really like the concept of Melbourne adopting the mindset of a progressive expansion team whilst retaining those things that are core to our club. Some innovative, even radical thinking may be required to crack open new markets and help us to become a powerhouse club with 100,000 plus supporters in 10 years time.

Maybe the Eastern Demons (to counter theWestern Bulldogs)?

• 1 year later...

BUMP

Thought i'd bump this given there's been some further talk about it in the Weideman thread.

If we were looking to leave Casey in a few years time with the view to setting up a base where everything could be set including our own VFL team, the question remains where close to the city could this be?

Keeping in mind we want to be close to our home land and at the same time have a venue that has some room to develop which brings me to.

Brunswick Street Oval, Fitzroy's old home ground from 1897 - 1966. If we rolled the dice and received government funding we could look to put in the proper facilities along with a social club that could go right next door to the bowls club.

When the club re-branded late last year it was going for a younger alternative image that related to modern Melbourne. And what's more Melbourne then Brunswick Street? Close to lots of cool cafe's and bars including what I believe is one of Melbourne's best Parma's at The Lord Newry Hotel!

Only 4.5km from the MCG, if the club was brave enough, I think Brunswick St Oval could be an option to develop once our agreement with AAMI Park ends at the end of 2019 I believe?

• Like 2