If the season finished tomorrow...

Gouga

There has been lots of talk about the future on this forum, and rightly so. This season is as good as over with Cameron Bruce seemingly the only person in Australia who thinks we can still make finals this year.

So if the season finished tomorrow who would you delist, who would you trade, who would you promote and who would be your number one target?

Delist/retire: Bode, Holland, Neitz (with Honours), Warnock, Weetra, Whelan, White, Yze#

Trade: Bruce*

Promote: Wonaeamirri

Target: Mitchell Brown, Ryan Murphy, Brent Prismall

#Jamar, Miller and Robertson are all under contract for next year

*Should net a second round pick, maybe a first round pick if we offer to pay some of his salary next year ala Woewodin and TJ

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TRADE - BRUCE (STILL HAS COME VALUE), WHEATLEY (MIGHT GET A LOW PICK FOR HIM), C JOHNSON (BLOKES USELESS OTHERWISE DELIST),

DELIST - WARNOCK, WEETRA, BODE (UNLESS HE IMPROVES)

RETIRE - NEITZ, YZE, HOLLAND, WHELAN (UNLESS HE HAS A GOOD SEASON INJURY FEE)

LOVE TO GET RID OF JAMAR BUT THEY GAVE HIMA 2 YEAR EXTENSION LAST YEAR.

RETIRE - Neita (sad to see him go, I love the bloke), Yze, Holland

DELIST - Warnock, Bode, C. Johnson

Not sure about who to trade. Everyone I think of, I think of a reason to keep. I thought about trading Newton, but I think we need him up forward.

Perhaps the best person to trade who would have some value is Sylvia. I really rate him and think he could become a champion for this club, but how long do we wait for?

Retire - Neitz, Yze, White, Holland

Delist - Miller, Chris Johnson, Jamar, Bode

To the untrained eye, Garland and Warnock look like no hopers.

But to a genius like me whos sees what others don't, I know one thing - these two will flourish under Dean Baily and you will all look like fools within 6 months.

Garland in particular will be out great white hope come seasons end.

Delist - Miller, Garland, Warnock, Chris Johnson, Jamar, Bode

Trade -

Bruce - aim for pick 15-20

McLean - aim for pick 5-10

Giving us 5 picks in the top 18.

Oh yeah, who would give up pick 5 for a former pick 5 who has not delivered on what he promised? And Bruce? Pick 15?! If he is half as bad as you say he is, then we'd be lucky for pick 30.

Jamar is contracted.

Guest MFC4Life

Delist - Miller, Garland, Warnock, Chris Johnson, Jamar, Bode

Trade -

Bruce - aim for pick 15-20

McLean - aim for pick 5-10

Giving us 5 picks in the top 18.

Agree with your retirements

Agree fervently with your delistings. Why these did not happen 2 years ago is beyond me.

No way McLean, can't give away players like that. What's the point? he's 22 and his best footy is to come. You've made this call after three ordinary games so far this season.

Your dreaming about Bruce, he will be 29 at the end of the season. Who would want him? Geelong? Would struggle to get into their best 22. Hawthorn? Too hard a team for Bruce to fit in. St. Kilda? Maybe, but they would give a late second/third rounder at best. Collingwood? Don't take anyone from Melbourne unless they win Brownlows. No interstaters or rebuilding teams would pick him.

This is massive. I cannot remember such a massive sweep out of this club over the past 2 decades. Even in our crap years in the 90's we always seemed to have some good kids coming through that jettisoned us back into contention within a year or two. This is going to take some time. I think Bailey would be simply embarrased as to what he is witnessing. I reckon we would have made his mind up already that this team needs to be knocked down totally and start from scratch if we are to have any chance.

Retire: Neitz Yze McDonald Whelan Holland,

Delist: CJ, Weetra, Bode, Warnock

Trade: Depending on interest from other Clubs and if they do not improve...Green, Sylvia and Newton.

We probably wont do more than 1 trade but it gives us 10 picks in the draft some of which we could use for a trade of a player to us or considering a PSD pick and the elevation of Valenti/ Zomer (not so sure about that one).

Given the level of necessary retirements and discards this year, a few lucky players might get another year to prove themselves otherwise there is another big clean out happening in 2009.

Retire - Netiz, Yze, Holland, White

Trade - Green, Miller Davey, Robbo

Trade for - top 20 picks

Delist - Chris Johnson, Bode, Weetra

Do a "Hawthorn" and trade valuable players for high draft picks.

Given the level of necessary retirements and discards this year, a few lucky players might get another year to prove themselves otherwise there is another big clean out happening in 2009.

I agree. Someone like garland will get another chance when in previous years he'd be moved on.

The point I tried to make about Bruce before is we might be able to secure a late first round/early second round pick if we offer to pay his salary at his new club. Why not? We have room in our cap and it benefits the club.

Also interested in who people would target if the season finished tomorrow (and don't just say Jonathan brown because it ain't gonna happen).

you blokes have got no idea.

Miller, Jamar, Robbo and Bode all contracted till the end of 2009. So no chance of delisting and no club would want any of them.

Bruce and Green dont have much value and your dreaming if you'd think we'd get a first round pick for either. Would you give up a late first round pick for either? Both have value at Melbourne and should stay. Green has been one of our best this year, but it's easy to dump on him, and Bruce was terrific against Geelong

Garland is in his second year, is a key position type and you want to get rid of him? You blokes are absolute knobs. Frawley hasnt played a game yet this year, same draft as Garland should we delist him too.

We've got 18 games to go. One week makes a huge difference, look at Davey last week.

Oh good God yes. I forgot about him. Get rid of Garland ASAP.

This is absolute garbage that a lot of supporters are ranting about Garland. The kid was played to early, way undercooked & he didn't disgrace himself, he was just a little raw. He'll be a good player with a little more time & games @ Sandy. He played a beaty this week @ Sandy straight after coming back from the Dees. Really stepped up a level from his previous stint @ the VFL.

Lots of respect & backslapping was he givin by his fellow teammates for all to see.

He was obviously played early because he is a disiplined player that follows the team plan & has good skills, speed & agility, a lot to build on. He is also is versatile playing on taller or shorter opponents.

I raised the same query re Jeff White on another thread but the same principle applies. What indication is there that either of these two are likely (even possibly) going to retire?

One has come off successive best and fairests, and the other appears to have (at the moment at least) got through his injury woes.

One has come off successive best and fairests, and the other appears to have (at the moment at least) got through his injury woes.

And Nathan Brown finished in the top 10 of our best and fairest last year. It is about developing the list, not retaining good players who won't be part of our next premiership.

And Nathan Brown finished in the top 10 of our best and fairest last year. It is about developing the list, not retaining good players who won't be part of our next premiership.

And if you want to delist them while they are out of contract - fine. I may not agree with but that's an opinion.

My question was "What indication is there that either of these two are likely (even possibly) going to retire?"

And if you want to delist them while they are out of contract - fine. I may not agree with but that's an opinion.

My question was "What indication is there that either of these two are likely (even possibly) going to retire?"

Whelan - injury and lack of performance.

Junior - His B &F last year was a half in performance what his efforts were in 2006. He is struggling this year. I think this will be it for him.

Out of respect you would allow them to retire as they will be told they will not be given a contract and I cant see either getting any interest in the PSD.

Whelan - injury and lack of performance.

Junior - His B &F last year was a half in performance what his efforts were in 2006. He is struggling this year. I think this will be it for him.

Out of respect you would allow them to retire as they will be told they will not be given a contract and I cant see either getting any interest in the PSD.

Fair enough. I disagree but I see where you're coming from.

Delist: CJ, Weetra, Bode, Warnock

Trade: Depending on interest from other Clubs and if they do not improve...Green, Sylvia and Newton.

We probably wont do more than 1 trade but it gives us 10 picks in the draft some of which we could use for a trade of a player to us or considering a PSD pick and the elevation of Valenti/ Zomer (not so sure about that one).

Not a fan of Wonaeamirri?

Not a fan of Wonaeamirri?

Oversight. But I would like to see more of him before I am sold. I had in my mind he was already there so did not elevate him.

I think there is ample opportunity if he good enough. And if so I like him more than Valenti.

Oversight. But I would like to see more of him before I am sold. I had in my mind he was already there so did not elevate him.

I think there is ample opportunity if he good enough. And if so I like him more than Valenti.

Fair enough, I'd promote at least one of them just to get a pick in the rookie draft

My guesses are:

Retire/Delist

Neitz, Holland, McDonald, Robertson, Yze

Delist

Warnock, Bode, Weetra

Promote

Wonaeamirri

That would leave us with a min. 6 picks in the November draft, 1 in the psd and 1 in the rookie. Hopefully three first round picks 1, 17 & 18 and attempt to trade for another one using a combination of Green, Bruce, Davey, Newton & Miller (Actually I'd be happy to consider any great offer for any player)

4 picks in the first round would be ideal, preferable two top ten picks.

On thin Ice

White, CJ, Whelen

(sorry about the double post earlier)

Robbo is contracted in 2009. I doubt you will get a trade for him.

I am reluctant to trade Davey as his pace is what we lack around the ground and I think he will perform better as the side performs better.

hmm, didn't know that about Robbo... <_<

Don't get me wrong, I don't think he's crap or anything like that, it's just to get another first round pick we'll have to give up someone good who can step into a team and instantly contribute. Davey, Green and Bruce all fall into that category (I was being mischievous with Miller).

Edit: Just read Nasher's response about Bode... <_<