Ben Cousins shows up at Junction Oval

gOLLy

Ben or No Ben  

179 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I would take him in a heartbeat

Clean or not.

The man is a freak of nature, and Id love if we got just one great season from him at the MFC, although he is so fit I suspect he could play another 3 or 4 seasons of top notch footy

Why am i not surpised :rolleyes:

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why am i not surpised :rolleyes:

Because you are used to me thinking outside the square and having some balls, unlike you and the rest iof the Demon supporters. Bunch of sheep.

I would still take Cousins in a heartbeat.

For Christs sake, Cameron Bruce was our Captain this year!

How the hell can our young players expect to learn anything or to be inspired when we have no senior players to look up to?

Get Cousins for 2 years, let him teach the kids about what it takes to be a great midfielder.

Get Cousins for 2 years, let him teach the kids about what it takes to be a great midfielder.

Im warning to this idea. As an on field mentor he may do more wownders than our current Midfield Coach !! Whatever Williams is being paid is of questionable value <_<

Because you are used to me thinking outside the square and having some balls, unlike you and the rest iof the Demon supporters. Bunch of sheep.

I would still take Cousins in a heartbeat.

For Christs sake, Cameron Bruce was our Captain this year!

How the hell can our young players expect to learn anything or to be inspired when we have no senior players to look up to?

When are you going to do MFC and it's fans a favour and go and support a different club?

Please stop posting at demonland.

I would take in the PSD if he decided he wanted to be a Demon. He could play for another 3 or 4 years I think.

Ben Cousins is probably the hardest and fittest footballer in the leauge. I think he could improve our onfield success, leadership, marketability (including attendances) and membership.

He is an absolute gun! And he has to be respected as a great footballer. Give the bloke a chance!

Great mentor for our blokes! And he will teach them how to be a midfielder!

And give him the NO. 9!

Ben Cousins and Shane Crawford! Two of the best and my favourites.

When are you going to do MFC and it's fans a favour and go and support a different club?

Nice one buddy.

Im looking for ways to improve the club, unlike you.

I am a bigger supporter of the MFC than you will ever be.

Ben "Snorting The White Pony" Cousins. Still an ELITE player at the top level, His inclusion could be a blessing or disaster. He has the leadership qualities to help develop the kids, it is his past that could be damaging. If he can avoid falling back into bad habits, he is a quality option. Good player, great leader.

This is a very risky move for a young developing club, which is why I am sad to say he will not be in the Red and Blue next season. He will however be playing AFL next season, too good not to be!

Ben "Snorting The White Pony" Cousins. Still an ELITE player at the top level, His inclusion could be a blessing or disaster. He has the leadership qualities to help develop the kids, it is his past that could be damaging. If he can avoid falling back into bad habits, he is a quality option. Good player, great leader.

This is a very risky move for a young developing club, which is why I am sad to say he will not be in the Red and Blue next season. He will however be playing AFL next season, too good not to be!

I think the risk is 1%. But I doubt he would come to Melbourne. Collingwood first, Saints second! But maybe the Dee's have a plan with him. He would toughen our club up and with Brock they could be very damaging on the field! Brock to captain with Cousins to mentor. I love there hardness! They could really make a statement for our club and direction!

Nice one buddy.

Im looking for ways to improve the club, unlike you.

I am a bigger supporter of the MFC than you will ever be.

Really?

Stunning me with the proof as always...

Never get tired of sticking the knife into 150-game-players who have done more for the club than either of us will ever dream of doing though, don't we Y_M?

With every post you make people sick and tired of coming here, thereby actively turning people away from the online community, something that supporters from interstate and overseas ACTUALLY need. THAT'S a fact.

Go and follow the filth... or the scum. Please leave us REAL supporters alone.

Great mentor for our blokes!

Ha! what a joke!

the problem with Demonland is you guys all start listening to each others [censored] so much that you start thinking its true.

Cousins has a couple of years left in him. True.

But in a couple of years we will only be getting into the finals and he will be finished.

Look who we have picked up as rookies or in the PSD in the past.

Martin, Valenti, Davey, Wonaeamirri, Warnock.

I would take a chance on a young kid over Cousins everyday of the week.

If we were in Collingwoods or St Kilda's position it would be completely different.

Lucky that the club knows better than some of the posters on here.

You're a good poster DD, but telling someone else they're not welcome on a forum is a bit disappointing. YM frustrates me greatly too and from time to time I've had a shot at him myself but one of the great things about a football team is the diversity of supporters that choose to follow it. The posters on this forum are like the motley crew of drinkers at the local. Just think of YM as the slightly off-beat regular whose slant on life is often cringe-worthy but always entertaining. At the end of the day he might drink a different beer to you but shares your love of the pub. He's the guy you humour for a few minutes and then take the [censored] out of as he stumbles out the door on the way home. But if he stopped coming, the pub would lose a little of its character. YM makes some ridiculous assertions but you can't doubt his passion for this club. His omnipresence here is proof. This forum is no doubt an outlet for him as it is for many of us, when our footballing fortunes seem less than fair. Don't let his antics distract from your usual contributions of quality.

There is a vast difference between mentoring ON the field ..and doing similar OFF of it.

Our midfield is weak. ( by top 4 standards). Cousins ..all other things aside is an ELITE level Mid Fielder. Been a long time between drinks for us to have one.

there may well be someone else around to pick in the PSD.. again I reiterate..NO ONE knows.. as the list isnt cemented yet.

The whole point WOULD be to take Cousins for 2 or so years..knowing he probably wouldnt be part of any flag tilt.. By then he's done his job.

If our current efforts of Midfield coaching and mentoring are refelcted by results so far....we NEED a lot of help !!!

When you grow a plant...you stake it.. so the young seedlings can grow with direction etc. Thats how yo need to build a team, predominantly youngens..but a handful of more experienced players to hold things together whilst the NEW team takes shape.

or we can continue to get smashed and routed and finish last again...thats always fun <_< :rolleyes:

You're a good poster DD, but telling someone else they're not welcome on a forum is a bit disappointing. YM frustrates me greatly too and from time to time I've had a shot at him myself but one of the great things about a football team is the diversity of supporters that choose to follow it. The posters on this forum are like the motley crew of drinkers at the local. Just think of YM as the slightly off-beat regular whose slant on life is often cringe-worthy but always entertaining. At the end of the day he might drink a different beer to you but shares your love of the pub. He's the guy you humour for a few minutes and then take the [censored] out of as he stumbles out the door on the way home. But if he stopped coming, the pub would lose a little of its character. YM makes some ridiculous assertions but you can't doubt his passion for this club. His omnipresence here is proof. This forum is no doubt an outlet for him as it is for many of us, when our footballing fortunes seem less than fair. Don't let his antics distract from your usual contributions of quality.

Nice analogy Goodvibes, and I agree. In fact I can relate to it.

Sometimes a bully needs to be squared away though. No problems with opinion, but do have problems with incessant carping about one player. I think the mods have handled it well over the last couple months. I'm happy to have the person remain on the board though.

By the way, we should not even talk to Cousins. He could not take our young guys anywhere useful.

By the way, we should not even talk to Cousins. He could not take our young guys anywhere useful.

Thats a mightly big throw away line there DD..based on what exactly may I ask ?

He knows football.. he knows HOW to play football. He knows how to play football at a level way above most on our list.

he knows how to keep fit and how to apply himslef to tasks and focus.

Yes he's screwed up... who hasnt. By all accounts he's trying to take his life in a new direction...that takes serious dedication to task at hand , application and effort.

Lets see Dedication to task at hand............. Application................... Effort

yeah...we can certainly do without any of that at Melbourne...god forbid !!! :huh:

Thats a mightly big throw away line there DD..based on what exactly may I ask ?

He knows football.. he knows HOW to play football. He knows how to play football at a level way above most on our list.

he knows how to keep fit and how to apply himslef to tasks and focus.

Yes he's screwed up... who hasnt. By all accounts he's trying to take his life in a new direction...that takes serious dedication to task at hand , application and effort.

Lets see Dedication to task at hand............. Application................... Effort

yeah...we can certainly do without any of that at Melbourne...god forbid !!! :huh:

Based on the fact that even WCE won't have him back. He's been trouble for years and he won't change now. He is 30, won't be around when we play in our next premiership, so the potential for downside is forefront.

Sure he can get fit and play footy. I just wonder how seriously he can talk to our youngsters in the rooms with "Such Is Life" tattood all over his guts.

Simply not worth the risk in our current position.

Simply not worth the risk in our current position.

yes....so much to lose in our position :lol::rolleyes:

So much is said speculatively about what he may or may not be...and so we can take any of that as gospel ? I think not. WCE are more a basket case than he (BC ) ever was so I wouldnt put too much bias on that.

Take a look at what he HAS done...and maybe less of all the inuendos and second guesses <_<

If the use of a PSD pick is all but entirely speculative to the max at best...and a throwaway pick at worse...then what is MORE speculative, more risky ?? to pick a looked over kid who may or may not be anything...and most are..accross ALL picks..everywhere.. Far less make it than burn bright for 5 mins then disapper for ever...or a bloke who you know can contribute "something".. Yes..I fully understand the 'something' might be also speculative in nature..but only by degrees...not something or NOTHING !!

Im only suggesting he is definitely worth a consideration..as opposed to dismissal without thinking.

yes....so much to lose in our position :lol::rolleyes:

So much is said speculatively about what he may or may not be...and so we can take any of that as gospel ? I think not. WCE are more a basket case than he (BC ) ever was so I wouldnt put too much bias on that.

Take a look at what he HAS done...and maybe less of all the inuendos and second guesses <_<

If the use of a PSD pick is all but entirely speculative to the max at best...and a throwaway pick at worse...then what is MORE speculative, more risky ?? to pick a looked over kid who may or may not be anything...and most are..accross ALL picks..everywhere.. Far less make it than burn bright for 5 mins then disapper for ever...or a bloke who you know can contribute "something".. Yes..I fully understand the 'something' might be also speculative in nature..but only by degrees...not something or NOTHING !!

Im only suggesting he is definitely worth a consideration..as opposed to dismissal without thinking.

See, I reckon he was performance enhanced when WCE won the flag, and when he won a Brownlow medal. When you gut run, but spew in the first qtr, there could be something wrong. On the basis that he (not alone) was performance enhanced, WCE should lose that flag, and Cousins should lose the Brownlow.

If one of our Olympic athletes was 'done' for drugs, you'd expect all medals and records to be recinded. And you would not entertain a return to the sport at that level.

As I said, "so much to lose in our position", ie, trying to improve without distractions.

Don't even talk to him!

Cheers Goodvibes...

For the record though, I would remind you that up until a few months ago I was one of those posters that used to scruff his hair and say "you little scamp!" as his posts, back then, WERE just a bit of fun.

Since then he's taken off on a wholly absurd anti-Bruce campaign that, unlike other supporters' campagns of hatred, has gone well beyond a simple distaste for Cam's qualit of football. It;s gotten him banned (I think twice now) and he's clearly not learned his lesson.

Add to that the fact that I've spoken to more than one person (in real life) who don't post, or even visit demonland anymore, and claim that Y_M's omnipresence is the reason. And they're hardly big Bruce fans...

I should also say for you to think of my asking Y_M not to post is more of a "signature" I put on the bottom of any reply I make to him, and him alone. I'm not stupid enough to think he'd take heed... Just think of it as my own bit of silliness.

You are right, that these forums have to have some freedom of expression, otherwise no-one would ever be able to criticise players. However, Y_M is a poster who abuses that loophole, and demonland is worse off for it. He's also immune to any kind of intervention, as he believes (or at least posts as though he believes) he knows better than everyone what's best for 'land, and the MFC. It's my belief that we can do without him permanently, however I do understand the wider implications of banning someone like that for good, and that's certainly not a road I'd ever want to see this site take. You see unlike him, I leave it to Jaded, RR, Nasher and the others to take control... whatever their decision...

Its too important. Especially these days, when we have no identity... demonland is the most a part of MFC I've ever felt, I don't know about everyone else.

Cousins will help the bottom line as well.

I reckon some fair crowds will turn up to see Cuz playing for the Demons.

See, I reckon he was performance enhanced when WCE won the flag, and when he won a Brownlow medal.

An opinion ,speculative at best.. no foundation

When you gut run, but spew in the first qtr, there could be something wrong. On the basis that he (not alone) was performance enhanced, WCE should lose that flag, and Cousins should lose the Brownlow.

Your compounding one assumption on top of another. ...and calling for a result ??

If one of our Olympic athletes was 'done' for drugs, you'd expect all medals and records to be recinded. And you would not entertain a return to the sport at that level.

Yes..they are the rules.. no such governamce applies to the AFL at present. And Cousins hasnt actually been DONE for anything in terms of crimes. He's confessed to a problem..and he's dealing with it. Is he a saint..hardly..well not yet !!! lol

As I said, "so much to lose in our position", ie, trying to improve without distractions.

Don't even talk to him!

Sorry..this is rubbish thinking.. all 'dismisaal out of hand" tarred with brush stuff.

By all accounts Cousins is a very hard trainer..the only distraction would be keeping up !! What other distractions have I misunderstood ?

Whats to lose.. a throw away pick ..paying well under market value for seondhand goods.. Not necesarily second rate..just used.

Seems not all clubs think the same...nor spectators.

Its something worth considering...maybe not doing in the end..but to not consider it I seriously think is foolhardy.

Ok Bub, you've got me on all counts.. I'm knackered. Just between you and I, I would not turn in my membership if he 'came along'. But then, I've never turned in my membership before, have I? Like Y_M alluded to, I'd have to go down for a look.

Add to that the fact that I've spoken to more than one person (in real life) who don't post, or even visit demonland anymore, and claim that Y_M's omnipresence is the reason. And they're hardly big Bruce fans...

That's a good call DD. I've been a bit worried about the direction of Demonland lately too and have tried to increase my contributions over the past week as a consequence . There's some very good posters out there who don't seem to visit much anymore.

I am not really posting much anymore (just having a bit of a browse and a laugh each day)..... But after reading the more recent posts on this thread, it has rekindled my desire to see Cousins at Melbourne....

A Ben Cousins at training = Massive influence on the younger guys

A Ben Cousins on gameday = Massive influence on the younger guys, and the F50 entries, and hopefully scoreboard

A Ben Cousins in team meetings = Massive knowledge of what it takes to reach the top

A Ben Cousins on the Friday/Saturday night when we don't have a game = Unknown

As far as football goes, he would be a huge advantage to have at a team where rebuilding is the major focus! The work ethic he would show to the younger brigade would be worth it's weight in gold.... I am not saying that the other senior boys at the club don't have a good work ethic.... I am just stating that Ben Cousins is said to be one of the hardest training blokes the AFL has ever had on a list!!

Now, in all reality, the MFC has bugger all chance of picking him up..... This is based on the assumption that Mr Cousins wants to go to the side that has the best chance of giving him the opportunity to grab another Premiership medallion...

But..... And I am not sure what kind of bloke Ben is..... This would be my way of thinking if I were in his shoes..... Here goes.....

Media Announcement

"I, Ben Cousins, have called this media conference to let the football public know that I am back. A lot has been written over the past year or so, and obviously not all of it has been good. I let certain things in my life get way out of control, and it has taken a lot of time and hard work to get my mind back to full fitness.... But I am clean, fresh, obviously physically fit [tears open shirt] :lol: and will be going into the PSD...

Now a lot of media people have linked me with clubs like Collingwood and St Kilda, because I am only going to a side that will give me a crack at another Premiership..... But I am here tonight to announce that this is absolute crap! I have been in regular contact with the Melbourne Football Club and will be taken as their No. 1 pick.... I am happy to announce that I will be signing a 3 year deal worth $150k a year.... To those of you who presumed I was going to a club for a flag, you were wrong!

I have a flag.... I have a Brownlow.... I have achieved success at the highest level.... But above all..... I have F#@*ED Up!!! I owe it to myself to repay the game of Aussie Rules and it's fans.... This great game has given me the opportunity of a lifetime.... I took that opportunity.... And then I threw it back in the game's face.... I am embarrassed about this.... And so I make it my mission to pass on as much knowledge, skill and committment to the oldest club in the game..... The Melbourne Football Club..... This proud club does not deserve to finish last.... And I will repay the football world by doing everything in my power to bring this great club back to where it belongs!

One last thing..... Those journos who linked me with Collingwood..... That went against your whole Premiership theory.... They are further away than Melbourne! Goodnight "