"We can beat Cats" - Bailey

I think DB's comments were right on the money. it is a two horse race of course we are a chance to win. We aren't that bad a team, we are in poor form. i am not saying we are the best, but i am saying we will have 22 afl players out on the ground. they are among the best players in the country and are definitely a chance of winning a game of footy. same as we were a chance the last two weeks.

just remember that it will click at some point. and geelong could be going into this game taking us very very lightly...

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/tabid/7415/D...px?newsid=57279

Oh dear :lol:

And it looks like we'll be going all out attack, rather than flooding and tagging in order patch the scoreboard up

This Sunday's game, I believe will be the defining moment for the Melbourne Football club.

Despite the horendous showing first up against the hawks, there was still hope of a turnaround against the bulldogs. Our loss against the bulldogs cost us more than 4 points; it cost us our pride, our integrity, and all supposed hope of getting near last years premiers.

This week, we have been given as much chance of winning, as an interest rate drop next month.

So what do we have to lose? Thas right; nothing!

On Sunday 22 Footballers will take the field against another 22, fueled by the knowledge that not a single person with sound mind gives them a chance in hell of getting close.

Imagine the rooms beforehand...

Throw caution to the wind! Run, chase, tackle, fight for every ball like your life depends on it. They've questioned your ability, they've questioned your application, But worst of all; theyve questioned your heart! They've questioned whether you care! They are questioning your manlyhood, you're livelyhood, WHAT'S YOUR RESPONSE. They are comparing you to the list of Fitzroy in 1996. The longest odds in history, you boys are, in a 2 horse race. They're questioning your heart!

I'M PUMPED! BRING ON SUNDAY!

Lets see if our players have a pulse.

The only thing disasterous and embarrassing is the soft level of support that MFC supporters so often show in tough times.

Couldn't agree more with this. I went and saw the game last week (Don't get to go often). Sure, I was disappointed with the effort and the end result, but I will always be proud of the Melbourne Football Club.

We will bounce back. I am a firm believer that things must be bad before they get better. It may not be this season, but I would be looking towards our future.

AND I can guarantee you the ones that are bagging and kicking the absolute wind out of our guts will be the ones that will be singing our praises when we land back on top.

Isn't it interesting how things turn around? We can win. But if we don't, there is always next week.

Go Dees!

Hang on...just getting cozy in my seat...outside of the box...

ok..

Hypothetical:

A team ..new coach.. on the mat two weeks running playing the playground "[censored] 'o the walk" Probable result foregone. But what isnt known? I'll tell you...how it pans out. How this player and that player react under the pump. Does this or that player step up ? Does anyone treat it as a challenge not a calamity ?

We already know that a line has been drawn ( round 6 ) Its fair to think something of substance wil happen after. Bailey still doesnt know completely who's really got gonads and who doesnt. He will have his supsicions, even have some penned in let alone penciled, but also a number will be in the "not sure" category.

He's a shrewd one is Bailey !! He needs to know who amongst his current crop has the "right stuff" The picture is clarifying....and he'll know a lot more come final siren Sunday !! he's already said he's not overly worried about the scoreboard. He wants to know who's committed..and more to the point...who can manifest that into something...anything. THAT..can be trained. THAT can be improved; but where there's no committment...theres nothing to work with.

It will be an interesting game.

He has to say that and rightly so.

Exactly.

Imagine the outcry if he said 'we can't beat Cats'.

He's had the most disastrous and embarrasing debut as a coach in recent times...why apply more pressure on himself?

What pressure? Or did I fail to read the quote where DB asserts that 'the Dees will win, and win well'?

Quote of the week.

The laughs will be back on Bailey when his team receives another flogging this week.

We cannot and will not beat the Cats. We are devoid of the following:

1) Skills

2) Heart

3) Spirit

4) Communication on the field

5) suitable gameplan

And finally we are playing a team that is out of this earth.

Now before you guys bag me for not supporting my team...I will be there on Sunday cheering the boys on to the very last second.

However there is no way on earth we will beat Geelong, so why does Bailey say "we can beat Geelong" ...because we simply won't.

He should've just left it at "we'll be looking to be more competitive and aiming to play more than 1 solid qtr". - that is my contention.

The laughs will be back on Bailey when his team receives another flogging this week.

Sadly no they wont as what he said was reasoned and measurable unlike your reaction

He should've just left it at "we'll be looking to be more competitive and aiming to play more than 1 solid qtr". - that is my contention.

But he was honest in say that he wants them to be competitive for 4 quarters. And if they are competitive we have a chance (whatever that chance is and it is likely to be small).

Do you enjoy going to the football with such a negative defeatist attitude? Talk about throwing in the towel. When you cheer to the last second at a game why do use a public website to unreasonably ridicule the Coach and to make dishonest insinuations on what was said by Bailey as a platform for attack?

BTW what game plan would you go with? Is there an effective game plan for a side that has a number of lazy front runners?

If a coach doesn't go into a game with that attitude, you'd sack him on the spot. Anyone who thinks the right thing to do by a developing team is to accept defeat but engage in flood tactics to minimise the damage on the scoreboard is asking for a team that will never know how to win a game whether its in five weeks, five months or five years from now. Carlton is learning that although I'm not so sure that Ratten and the rest of their so-called "brains trust" realise the full implications.

Well said.

Do you enjoy going to the football with such a negative defeatist attitude? Talk about throwing in the towel. When you cheer to the last second at a game why do use a public website to unreasonably ridicule the Coach and to make dishonest insinuations on what was said by Bailey as a platform for attack?

The truth Rhino, is that my thread was more in jest and not meant to be taken seriously. But posters seemed to be offended by my light-hearted dig at Bailey.

C'mon lets be frank, the Dees are quoted at $34 and Bailey comes up with the quote "we can win" - is worth a bit of a giggle, in my book. If the journos took this quote way out of context, or Bailey didn't even say it, than I concede defeat in this debate.

I love going to see the Dees play, but after the last 2 weeks and seeing them in the NAB series against Geelong and North, I can't help but have a negative defeatist attitude. But at least I'll be down there.

As for the game plan, I'm not qualified to suggest an alternative. However after seeing the North practice game in Cranny, I was mortified by the over use of (sloppy) handballs and the reluctance to kick the ball over any decent distance. There was one stage in that game where we were 35 metres out from goal, and 8 handballs later we transferred the ball up to the wing enroute to a turnover. I thought surely Bailey won't introduce this in the real season...and sure enough not much has changed.

Absolutely. Melbourne often play well against the Cats and the addition of Jared Rivers is absolutely monstrous for our team. A victory is not what I am looking for, but improvement - both in intensity and decision-making - is. I think, however, that in order for us to come even close to Geelong, Russell Robertson needs to kick at least five goals - otherwise I just can't see where our winning score could possibly come from.