Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

BFBR's Zebras Match Review

Demonland

WINNING START FOR ZEBRAS by Barry from Beach Road

Sandringham opened the season in style with good win against the Casey Scorpions after a strong 14 goal final half negated a second quarter scare that had the Zebras struggling and 20 points in arrears at half time.

Sandy was led out for the first time by new skipper Peter Summers and kicked with the aid of a stiff breeze favouring the Alf Beus can hill end. It was a strong contingent with 14 AFL listed players and the team started well with an early goal from young Demon recruit Addam Maric. Two more followed from Ben Holland and the Zebras were now looking chock full of confidence. Mark Jamar was dominating the early ruck duels and Jared Rivers was in imposing form down back, often linking up strongly with Ezra Poyas who surprised the crowd with a new hairstyle - one that actually incorporates hair and not a bald pate.

Sandringham was playing a team-oriented game and threatened to break further ahead but Casey regrouped and held its own in the latter part of the quarter kicking their first goal before Nick Sautner chimed in with his first for the season.

There was a marked turn around in the second stanza and it was now Casey's turn to dominate and Sandy's turn to struggle. By mid term the scores were locked together at 28 points apiece but the Scorpion midfield started to dominate and kicked the ball long into their forward line to establish a dominant position at the main break. The only excitement for the quarter came when Mark Johnston was hit hard and his opponent Armitage reported for charging. Johnston got up and continued to play after receiving his heavy knock and to his great credit finished up in his team's best players.

Johnston's bravery set the example and Sandringham regained its composure during the half time break to produce one of those special quarters of football that the players have become renowned for when their tails are up and the wind at their backs. With Mark Jamar and John Meesen dominating the rucks, the Zebra on ball brigade headed by Summers and new Demon rookie Shane Valenti kept pushing the ball forward and the likes of Sautner and Maric did the rest. Valenti was also damaging when moved forward and by the final break, Sandy was well on top after a stunning nine goal quarter.

The Zebras were at their best in the final term with the defence led by Jared Rivers and Matthew Whelan held the Scorpions and, in the end, outscored their opponents by five goals to three to canter away to a fine victory - 18.11.119 to 11.16.82.

Sandringham has a tough challenge ahead of it next week when it takes on old rival Port Melbourne at TEAC Oval, North Port. The Zebras will lose some Melbourne players to the AFL as the Demons continue to struggle forcing inevitable changes. The 12-10 rule applies to games against the Borough so a couple more Sandy listed players will come into the team for what should be a close tussle.

HOW THE DEMONS FARED

Brent Moloney and Ricky Petterd did not take their places in the team; both were reported as carrying minor injuries. Michael Newton came in to the selected side after being replaced by Jace Bode in the Melbourne team that played the Western Bulldogs.

James Frawley - was very serviceable in defence without being outstanding but given that he is quite athletic and at a similar stage of his development as Magpie key defender Nathan Brown, he is worth a look in defence for the Demons.

Ben Holland - looked set for a big day when he marked strongly and kicked two early goals but went down with a back strain and wasn't seen at all in the second half.

Mark Jamar - dominated the ruck hit outs and stood out around the ground where he took big marks and competed strongly. His capacity to come into the Melbourne team is limited by Paul Johnson's excellent start to the season.

Chris Johnson - played well and, as usual, looked good at this level. A question mark remains however, as to whether he can produce the goods in the big time.

Addam Maric - if there is something that Melbourne lacks at the moment it is a player who carries with him the x factor. In Maric's case, that factor comes with a capital X. He's small but can take a good grab and he's lively, particularly around goals in places where we have rarely seen any player of his size go on the Demon forward line. Oh, and he's a deadly kick for goal. On that basis, an AFL debut for this youngster is beckoning.

Stefan Martin - the former basketballer has the height and athleticism and can take a strong mark. He still has some work to do on his disposal skills but is certain to get a call up at some stage during the year.

John Meesen - moves well and rucks reasonably well but needs some more time at VFL level.

Michael Newton - roamed far and wide and really didn't get into the game as he was often caught in "no man's land". Likely to remain in the VFL for a couple of weeks until he can get his confidence up again.

Jared Rivers - a shoe in to return to the Demon line up for the game at Skilled Stadium if his form in this game is any guide. Should also be considered for elevation to the club's leadership group given that a vacancy exists there.

Shane Valenti - was more and more influential as the game wore on and got a lot of the ball. His detractors say he is small and slow but he moves the ball quickly and he is a ball magnet.

Matthew Warnock - played a dour defender's role but there are a few others ahead of him for a place in the Melbourne line up.

Matthew Whelan - played his standard strong game with lots of run and will add a harder edge to the Melbourne side on his return. There is a view that this won't happen for a couple of weeks but he looks ready to me.

Austin Wonaemirri - a slippery customer who is on a steep learning curve at the club. Showed some flashes that suggest he will be a player in time.

Adem Yze - took a while to settle down but he was certainly influential in the second half and was one of the reasons why the Zebras ended up overrunning an opposition that took it right up to them in the first half. Line ball as to whether he will be recalled to play against Geelong this week.

Sandringham 4.3.27 4.4.28 13.8.86 18.11.119

Casey Scorpions 1.2.8 7.6.48 8.10.58 11.16.82

Goals

Sandringham Sautner 4 Maric Valenti 3 Holland 2 C Johnson Poyas Summers Whelan Wonaemirri Yze

Casey Scorpions Gardiner 3 McQualter 2 Allen Armitage Birss Dunne Goddard Steven

Best

Sandringham Summers Valenti Poyas Yze Johnston Rivers

Casey Scorpions McQualter Gardiner Rix Gwilt Wall Silvagni

Reported

Sandringham Nil

Casey Scorpions D. Armitage (Casey Scorpions) for charging M. Johnston (Sandringham)in the 2nd quarter.

The reserves competition starts next week but a practice match was played against the Scorpions and Sandy won easily. A few Demons were on show but there were no stand outs during the time I was present.

Addam Maric - if there is something that Melbourne lacks at the moment it is a player who carries with him the x factor. In Maric's case, that factor comes with a capital X. He's small but can take a good grab and he's lively, particularly around goals in places where we have rarely seen any player of his size go on the Demon forward line. Oh, and he's a deadly kick for goal. On that basis, an AFL debut for this youngster is beckoning.

Geez I like that!

Thanks for the report!

On that assessment:

Ins - Rivers, Maric, Whelan (Take a risk, I don't care I'm over 2008), Moloney OR Yze

Outs - Davey (inj), Garland, Weetra, Buckley

Very exciting news about Maric. I'm sick of seeing other clubs owning these classy goal-sneaks. About time we had one.

Guest MFC4Life
Geez I like that!

Tell me about it. I'm glad we have finally some positive news. For his second one he kicked an amazing left foot goal snap on the run from the boundary line AGAINST the wind as it was blowing across the ground and I had a perfect view of it, it went straight as an arrow straight through the sticks. the crowd were flabberagasted (in a good way of course). I was standing near Dunny, Grimes and Petterd and I heard one of them say 'No Way!' as it sailed through.

He was a good boy, he didn't show boat, he wiggled his finger at the crowd and high-fived the boys and that was it. Definitley needs to play next week at Neitz or Newton's feet in the forward line.

Tactics and heart may not get us over the line next week but perhaps a bit of Aadam 'Magic' Maric can!!!

Thanks for the report!

On that assessment:

Ins - Rivers, Maric, Whelan (Take a risk, I don't care I'm over 2008), Moloney OR Yze

Outs - Davey (inj), Garland, Weetra, Buckley

Very exciting news about Maric. I'm sick of seeing other clubs owning these classy goal-sneaks. About time we had one.

With Davey out (lose his pace) and you are dropping Buckley who gives us run (albeit with skill errors), why would you consider playing a lazy has been like Yze?

With Davey out (lose his pace) and you are dropping Buckley who gives us run (albeit with skill errors), why would you consider playing a lazy has been like Yze?

Agreed. Buckley's a goer and has pace which is one of the major ingedients we're lacking in at the moment. We have to continue playing him until he gets those skill errors out of his system.

My likely changes -

Ins - Rivers, Maric, Moloney, Petterd

Outs - Davey (inj), Bode, Garland, Weetra

These would be the minimum.

I dont think they would have dropped Buckley in any case. He is one of a few players who tries to create something and doesnt let the opposition dictate how we play.

With the match report in mind here is my team for Geelong.

Maric Neitz Dunn

Sylvia Bate Bruce

Buckley Jones Wheatley

Bartram Rivers Bell

Whelan Carroll Miller

PJohnson McLean McDonald

Moloney Morton Garland White

INJ:Holland Petterd Davey Grimes

Sandy:Yze CJohnson Green Frawley Robertson Cheney Meesen Weetra Newton McNamara Martin Warnock Jamar Bode

I would play Dunn as a leading forward as i think he is a natural forward. He has a knack at getting shots on goal. Maric comes in for Weetra to add class.

Sylvia and Bate playing as dual CHF with Bruce the roaming forward/midfielder.

Buckley as your release man out of defence with his pace and Wheatley dropping back.

Rivers comes in and should take the most dangerous forward straight away. With his ability to be the 3rd man up by reading the play it should bring Whelan, Bell and Bartram into the game. Miller is on his last chance but I think we will need his strength.

PJ should be 1st ruck. Let him hit in hard early and often, creating space for the midfield.

Moloney comes in if fit. Morton is an automatic selection at the moment. Garland needs more game time and White is lucky that our ruck depth is awful.

I think we could come away with an honourable 50 point loss if all goes to plan.

Sylvia and Bate playing as dual CHF with Bruce the roaming forward/midfielder

I think we could come away with an honourable 50 point loss if all goes to plan.

I think Bate is still one week away from playing! But, he sure would be handy.

To be honest I'm a bit surprised that Garland is getting a game ahead of Frawley.

I hope we see Little Spud in the side soon, because we have got to start developing another key defender ASAP. He can also play on the wing if all else fails, which gives us a bit of versatility.

Great news about Rivers, and agree wholeheartedly that, should he stay fit, he deserves a place in the leadership group.

To be honest I'm a bit surprised that Garland is getting a game ahead of Frawley.

I hope we see Little Spud in the side soon, because we have got to start developing another key defender ASAP. He can also play on the wing if all else fails, which gives us a bit of versatility.

Great news about Rivers, and agree wholeheartedly that, should he stay fit, he deserves a place in the leadership group.

What about bringing Frawley in to play on Steve Johnson?

I'm sick of this little drunked towelling us up; could be a good challenge for him as he's not slow, and you could challenge him to stay no less than a mouse fart away from him at all times. If he goes to the bench, sit on his lap!

What do we think?

Well ..we may have to start bringing guys almost as a 'look 'n'see' If on form alone i wouldnt be promoting Spud..not for that matter Wheels ( though others differ ) Both really need to find better consistent form. But choice might be a luxury.

I shudder to tell the truth when i think of who..and the form they face this Sunday !!

Sorry I forgot about the need to drop Bode...he was rubbish. Buckley now stays.

INS - Rivers, Petterd/Whelan, Moloney, Maric

OUTS - Davey (inj), Weetra, Garland, Bode

But I have a feeling Yze will return this week, much to most people's chargrin. Yze over Maric.

If they don't want to take the Whelan risk, then Petterd earns a recall.

I've seen enough of Garland and Weetra. They need a good 6 weeks at Sandy.