Sydney vs Richmond at Narrandera 7pm

West Coast vs Carlton at Alice Springs 7pm

Melbourne vs Western Bulldogs at Bendigo 7pm

Brisbane vs Geelong at Carrara 8:10pm

Saturday March 1

Collingwood vs Port Adelaide at Princes Park 2pm

Fremnatle vs Kangaroos at Subiaco 8:40pm

This is Narrandera: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narrandera%2C_New_South_Wales

'Narrandera is a town and Local Government Area (see Narrandera Shire Council) in southern New South Wales, Australia. It is an important destination for travellers as it lays on the junction of the Newell and Sturt Highways and it is the gateway to the productive Murrumbidgee Irrigation Area. Its strong history is reflected by the various historic attractions present in the town.'

Never heard of it before and my profust apologies if anyone is from there or has some form of connection with the township.

Fair dinkum, why are these games being held in the nether regions??? Melbourne should be playing at Princes Park, were we should be having our family day and selling as many membership as possible. No wonder we're stuck on 18,000 members at the moment when the teams not even here!

The following is the fixture for this weekend's 'NAB Challenge':

This is Narrandera: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narrandera:

'Narrandera is a town and Local Government Area (see Narrandera Shire Council) in southern New South Wales, Australia.

Are you suggesting they play the Sydney game on the cricket pitch at the SCG instead? Maybe we could do the same and play our game at the MCG, but with modified rules -- middle of the ground is out of bounds.

They play these regional games firstly for exposure, and secondly because many of the grounds are unavailable because they have a big hard square in the middle of them for cricket season.

They're practice matches. They're not televised, the AFL get little or no revenue from them. They don't care who plays where and nor should they. Neither do I really. Membership promotion is nice, but it's not at all what the practice matches are about. They're essentially just training under real match conditions.

Guest MFC4Life

I guess my point is that apparently we have a family day on Sunday March 2nd that has had very little exposure or advertisement. Why not have the family day on on a day where Melbourne are playing, giving people a reason to go and signing as many members as possible? I'm sorry I can't see the point of us playing in Bendigo when it would do more good for us to play here. Have a raffle, a sausage sizzle, marquees with table and chairs and a whole lot of other crap, jumping castles? Kids can run around in the sun and do airplanes for an hour up until game time. Advertise the day! Maybe we could sell a few more memberships.

I guess my point is that apparently we have a family day on Sunday March 2nd that has had very little exposure or advertisement. Why not have the family day on on a day where Melbourne are playing, giving people a reason to go and signing as many members as possible? I'm sorry I can't see the point of us playing in Bendigo when it would do more good for us to play here. Have a raffle, a sausage sizzle, marquees with table and chairs and a whole lot of other crap, jumping castles? Kids can run around in the sun and do airplanes for an hour up until game time. Advertise the day! Maybe we could sell a few more memberships.

I agree with you as our membership is currently a disgrace compared to everyone else. MFC fans are so apathetic :angry:

In theory it would be nice to have a game at Princes Park the weekend after next, but the AFL makes the schedule not us. There is a game in Cranbourne and possibly Princes Park that weekend. However I'm sure we'll be shipped off to Broome or Mackay.

They've played Challenge Cup games at Narranderra before. They've also played them in Griffith as well. I think first and foremost is the prerequisite that the ground is up to AFL standard. The problem with Griffith as I understand it is that they play cricket on the oval as well. Having spent a large portion of my working life living in the Riverina I'd argue that support for AFL in the area is very strong and their contributions to footy in general shouldn't be undervalued.

Guest MFC4Life

It's difficult to explain and I don't know about the rest of you but I can't remember when I have felt more underwhelmed before the start of the season. I haven't seen the boys play, our Board is stuffed and we're having our family day in a car park off Brunton Avenue.

Guest MFC4Life
They've played Challenge Cup games at Narranderra before. They've also played them in Griffith as well. I think first and foremost is the prerequisite that the ground is up to AFL standard. The problem with Griffith as I understand it is that they play cricket on the oval as well. Having spent a large portion of my working life living in the Riverina I'd argue that support for AFL in the area is very strong and their contributions to footy in general shouldn't be undervalued.

Never meant to offend Graz. Grass Roots and the all Australian communities are important. I just think there a lot of people that don;t realize that this is a really important part of the year off the field to set this club to thrive, not just survive.

Never meant to offend Graz. Grass Roots and the all Australian communities are important. I just think there a lot of people that don;t realize that this is a really important part of the year off the field to set this club to thrive, not just survive.

No worries... no offence taken, and I understand what you're saying, but I think the AFLs position is to take the game to as many communities as they can - given that the premiership season is limited by H&A restrictions. Personally I'm not sure how much this might mean in revenue, but if we're relying on playing in Melbourne the day before a family day to sign up enough members then we're definitely talking about surviving rather than thriving.

Guest MFC4Life
No worries... no offence taken, and I understand what you're saying, but I think the AFLs position is to take the game to as many communities as they can - given that the premiership season is limited by H&A restrictions. Personally I'm not sure how much this might mean in revenue, but if we're relying on playing in Melbourne the day before a family day to sign up enough members then we're definitely talking about surviving rather than thriving.

For those who live in rural areas it's good that they are able to see something live during the year without having to spend half a weeks wages at the bowser to travel to the smoke.

I guess it would give everyone a reson to go the family day and possibly sign up if they hadn't already. The day starts at 10.30am in the lovely Princess Park gardens area. The players mingle, chat then get presented their jumpers. In at 12.30pm to prepare for the game. Game starts at 2pm. I would argue having a couple of praccy games here would do more good than harm.

I do admit the AFL gives us no choice but then again why would they?

slightly off topic, but is anyway able to tell me exactly where the ground is in bendigo where we'll be playing?

many thanks

Almost certain that it's at the Queen Elizabeth Oval. Shouldn't have much trouble finding that on the map I don't think. Rather moronic (and yet sadly typical) of the AFL not to put the venue details on the fixture.

slightly off topic, but is anyway able to tell me exactly where the ground is in bendigo where we'll be playing?

many thanks

Well worth the trip to Bendigo. Only an hour and 15 from Melbourne (car and train). The QEO is a superb ground. Come into centre of Bendigo (Pall Mall). Turn left at the historic fountain, go up the hill for 500 metres and you are there. The pub opposite the ground, the Rifle Range, is one of the best pubs you'll ever go to.

We play the Kangaroos in Cranbourne on March 8th. Sandringham play a praccy game afterwards.

It is now listed on afl.com.au

Don't tell Whispering Jack. He'll burst an artery.

Could be worse I suppose, but it would have been nice to score just one game at Optus Oval/Princes Park/MC Labor Park. I might pop down to that one as well, although Cranbourne is perilously close to Franga. Once again, I might be showing my ignorance here, but I imagine there aren't lights at the Cranbourne venue, so I'm going to guess and say it's a day game.

If Sandy are playing afterwards it could make a decent day out.

Well worth the trip to Bendigo. Only an hour and 15 from Melbourne (car and train). The QEO is a superb ground. Come into centre of Bendigo (Pall Mall). Turn left at the historic fountain, go up the hill for 500 metres and you are there. The pub opposite the ground, the Rifle Range, is one of the best pubs you'll ever go to.

Fantastic dee-tox. I'll be up with the missus (gunna make a night of it) and was hoping to hit the tap afterwards (and probably before, as well). I'll definitely follow up on your recommendation. ;)

It's difficult to explain and I don't know about the rest of you but I can't remember when I have felt more underwhelmed before the start of the season. I haven't seen the boys play, our Board is stuffed and we're having our family day in a car park off Brunton Avenue.

I agree, what's going on. Why would we not try to put some semblance of a team on the park in the pre-seaon. The problem with playing our reserves is that we are building a losing culture. I think we need a pre-season win to build up some confidence and interest. Most of our good seasons in recent years have kick-started in the pre-season.

Did Cale Morton actually play last week? Did he get a kick? Does anyone care?

Don't tell Whispering Jack. He'll burst an artery.

No way, Casey Fields is virtually part of our great metropolis and thanks to those governments that constructed freeways I can make it there from my place in quicker time than I can to Princes Park (well, almost). I'll take that over Narrandera any day (or night).

[For and on behalf of the Melbourne Action Faction]

I agree, what's going on. Why would we not try to put some semblance of a team on the park in the pre-seaon. The problem with playing our reserves is that we are building a losing culture. I think we need a pre-season win to build up some confidence and interest. Most of our good seasons in recent years have kick-started in the pre-season.

Did Cale Morton actually play last week? Did he get a kick? Does anyone care?

Yes, yes and yes (this has been answered in slightly more detail on the Cale Morton thread).

Once again, I might be showing my ignorance here, but I imagine there aren't lights at the Cranbourne venue, so I'm going to guess and say it's a day game.

If Sandy are playing afterwards it could make a decent day out.

Day game.

There are lights at Casey but they have just been installed, I suspect they wouldnt want to risk it just yet with an AFL game. They'll test them out afterwards I suspect.

Melbourne v Kangaroos 2pm

Sandringham v Casey (seniors) 5.15pm

Sandringham v Casey (reserves) 7.45pm

Could be a fun day :)