Buckley and Garland

Guest Peter Griffin

Guest MFC4Life

Couldn't catch the game on Saturday but have been trolling through all the match reports. I really thought Buckley and Garland would struggle to make the grade but from all reports they were two of the best players on the weekend. For those who watched live or televised:

-Has Buckley's disposal improved? (One person i have already asked who saw the game said Buckley reminded them of Ward)

-Has his awareness and vision improved?

-Is he in our best 22?

-Is Garland a KPP or a flanker?

-Can he hold a place in our best 22?

Couldn't catch the game on Saturday but have been trolling through all the match reports. I really thought Buckley and Garland would struggle to make the grade but from all reports they were two of the best players on the weekend. For those who watched live or televised:

-Has Buckley's disposal improved? (One person i have already asked who saw the game said Buckley reminded them of Ward)

-Is he in our best 22?

Didn't see much of the game, but is Garland a potentially better option than Robertson as the 3rd tall? Can't see us playing a forwardline that includes Neitz, Robertson, Miller/Newton and Garland.

Can't comment on Garland as he seemed to be playing up the other end to where I was sitting (behind the Melb cheersquad end). Although his supergoal was impressive and 3 goals is something to hang your hat on.

Buckley had a mixed afternoon. Started poorly with a few turnovers etc.. But was quite instrumental in the middle 2 quarters with his run and carry and registered a few inside 50's. I liked that he was hard to tackle, and seemed to have plenty of time before realeasing of the footy. Kicked a lovely supergoal from 60mtrs out into the wind which reaked of class and even had some Geelong fans commending him on his effort.

Happy with his effort, but I got sucked into Chris Johnson's (whom Buckley reminds me of) steller pre-season form last year and look what happened. If he can keep up his form, I think he'll play round 1. Good luck to him!

-Is he in our best 22?

I think Buckley uses the ball reasonably. His decision making was not always so spectacular, kicking to 2 on 1s a couple of times. But then, given how abysmal our forward line was, it wasn't like a good decision was available for him to make.

Garland looks like a flanker for me, at this stage. He is far more athletic than he appeared last year, and his ball use is solid. If you're looking for a comparison then think Lynden Dunn when he first showed he could play. Kicked a couple of clever snaps and a fine long goal, but certainly didn't play like a KPP.

Anyway, the challenge for these lads is to back it up this week against the Toiges. If Buckley can have another 20-touch game and take some more blokes on, then we can start to get excited.

Likewise if Garland can kick a few more, and maybe rake in a few marks, I'll feel alot safer in predicting his future.

Based on what I saw Saturday, Buckley would have to be very, very close to playing Round 1. His composure and ability to run through the lines was really impressive. Decision-making needs some work, but he is not the only one in this boat.

Garland will need more time IMO. Kicked three goals, but needs some time in the gym and has to work on playing four quarters. Has plenty of potential though.

I can't believe anyone can question Bucks but can think Bode belongs out there.

Buckley is a gun!!! See the way he ran through bloke with his shoulders high with blistering pace, almost Judd like out there.

Buckley is a gun!!! See the way he ran through bloke with his shoulders high with blistering pace, almost Judd like out there.

I agree that was fantastic, but I've never seen him do that before. You can't suggest that based on a single decent performance he'll be a superstar. He will need to do it on a regular basis to convince people. Good luck to him.

I hope people remember me being pumped up about simon this year.

The comparison of simon buckley and ward is laughable, sorry but it is. This kid is young and has potential to be a superstar. His silky skills is something we have lacked in the past in the midfield, we have brock and jonesy as our rough and tough in and under players but bucks is the other piece to that puzzle, THE RECieVeR!

Good luck to him, i hope he continues to improve and cement a spot in the top 22

I hope people remember me being pumped up about simon this year.

The comparison of simon buckley and ward is laughable, sorry but it is. This kid is young and has potential to be a superstar. His silky skills is something we have lacked in the past in the midfield, we have brock and jonesy as our rough and tough in and under players but bucks is the other piece to that puzzle, THE RECieVeR!

Good luck to him, i hope he continues to improve and cement a spot in the top 22

I remember.

I also remember starting a thread last season saying how good he is gonna be. Hence the sig. Always loved this guy, all last year I kept saying, play Buckley, play Buckley then they did, now lets see is he can prove why people like Mousey and I said it.

I thought Buckley looked alright last year, but he didn't get much game time.

I noted Bailey's comments post-match regarding there being no point in playing youngsters only to have them sit on the pine.

Hopefully guys likely Buckley and Garland have learned a bit about top-level AFL footy after getting game time against a strong Geelong side.

Buckley has what we desperately need... PACE!

Even if he doesn't make the greatest decisions out there, at least he can outrun the opposition. Hopefully he continues to back himself and his pace, and with time he'll learn how our forward line operates and his decisions will become smarter. He actually has a good kick on him, so he's half way there already.

As for Garland, he just lacks the dreaded C word (it's confidence :rolleyes: ). He definitely has a nice skill set, and with time and backing from the coach I would love to see him take up the FF/CHF position.

I thought Buckley was our best player and his skills weren't to bad especially compared to White, Bate, Zomer, Warnock and Bode. He should play round 1 on that performance but there are still another 3 pre season games to go. He gives us something we desperately lack and I think it will be our major problem for us this season which is a player that is willing to take the opposition on, we played too much stop start flat footed crap and that is the main reason we turned the ball over so much he was about the only one willing to run and carry the ball. I wouldn't say Garland had a good game but he did show promise.

Bode is too one sided for mine. He'll struggle at AFL level if he can't do anything about this part of his game.

Bode is too one sided for mine. He'll struggle at AFL level if he can't do anything about this part of his game.

Agree.

He was one of my major low-lights for the day. He couldn't hit the side of a barn-yard.

He showed a hint of promise in the round 22 game last year V Carlton with 2 goals but took a step backwards on the weekend. Oh well that's what the pre-season is there for- Hopefully DB can give him a couple more opportunites to press for round 1.

Bode was too slow with his decison making. Too many circles. Not optimistic on him making it. Round 1 at Sandy.

Buckley will be a gun. He has extreme pace and his skills definately were an improvement on the weekend. I like him. Round 1 certainty.

Garland has POTENTIAL. Unfortunately so did Grgic, who he reminds me of. That is the big question, will he blossom into a Hird-like versatile silky skilled player or a Grgic-like dud. He still needs another couple of years to be given the opportunity to mature physically and mentally. 6 -10 games this year. Round 1 at Sandy.

Zomer looks very very promising. I like him. I would compare him to Tredrea at his age. Raw, big, quick, aggressive and seems swithced on. He just needs to mature mentally and improve his skills. Massive upside with this bloke. He will be able to smash & bust packs open. Perfect wingman for Newton in the future. Round 1 at Sandy.

Valenti is a gun and i have been saying it all last year. Promote him for Round 1 if Whelan or Bartram are on the long-term injury list. His endeavour was awesome on the weekend.

Martin. Huge potential. Sandy Round 1.

Meesan was also very very impressive for mine. With his motor i would experiment with him at CHB for the likes of Pavlich, Reiwolt, etc who are tall KPP with big engines. He definately has the pace, height and reach to keep up with them, with the option of pinch hitting in the ruck, going forward or going on to a wing. I reckon Messan will turn out to be a very versatile player in the mold of a Goodes. He has very good skills for a Ruckman. I just don't think he is good enough to be a pure ruckman.

MacNamara looks promising. Good dash.

PS Does anyone know what Whelan's injury is?

Bode was too slow with his decison making. Too many circles. Not optimistic on him making it. Round 1 at Sandy.

Buckley will be a gun. He has extreme pace and his skills definately were an improvement on the weekend. I like him. Round 1 certainty.

Garland has POTENTIAL. Unfortunately so did Grgic, who he reminds me of. That is the big question, will he blossom into a Hird-like versatile silky skilled player or a Grgic-like dud. He still needs another couple of years to be given the opportunity to mature physically and mentally. 6 -10 games this year. Round 1 at Sandy.

Zomer looks very very promising. I like him. I would compare him to Tredrea at his age. Raw, big, quick, aggressive and seems swithced on. He just needs to mature mentally and improve his skills. Massive upside with this bloke. He will be able to smash & bust packs open. Perfect wingam for Newton in the future. Round 1 at Sandy.

Valenti is a gun and i have been saying it all last year. Promote him for Round 1 if Whelan or Bartram are on the long-term injury list. His endeavour was awesome on the weekend.

Martin. Huge potential. Sandy Round 1.

Meesan was also very very impressive for mine. With his motor i would experiment with him at CHB for the likes of Pavlich, Reiwolt, etc who are tall KPP with big engines. He defianetly has the pace, height and reach to keep up with them, with the option of pinch hitting in the ruck, going forward or going on to a wing. I reckon Messan will turn out to be a very versatile player in the mold of a Goodes. He has very good skills for a Ruckman. I just don't think he is good enough to be a pure ruckman.

MacNamara looks promising. Good dash.

PS Does anyone know what Whelan's injury is?

Great post Haydo! I couldn't have said it better myself....every fine detail

You obviously know what you are talking about, and man that's a breath of freah air around here

LOL @ people writing off players (ie Jace Bode) after the first game of the season (and not even a proper game)

I guess Ill join in and say that Isaac Weetra is finished at AFL level, as is Adam Maric who was absolutely digraceful and failed to hit the 40 possession mark. Not good enough

LOL @ people writing off players (ie Jace Bode)

Incorrect YM. Based on what I saw last year. Good games against the likes of Carlton going at half rat-power shouldn't get you on the senior list. I was surprised he was promoted.

Hope he proves me very wrong though.

Loving your optimism as always. Have you got the leopard-skins ready for a R1 victory over the Hawks ?

Incorrect YM. Based on what I saw last year. Good games against the likes of Carlton going at half rat-power shouldn't get you on the senior list. I was surprised he was promoted.

Hope he proves me very wrong though.

Loving your optimism as always. Have you got the leopard-skins ready for a R1 victory over the Hawks ?

I dont think he was promoted on that game alone Biffster

And the leopard skins are a permanent fixture inside my pants. The girls love it. I am their Tarzan, and they are my Jane