Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Steve Harris

The high turnover of staff was at a significant $cost to the club, and a concern to the AFL. The fact that Harris is being replaced suggests that something was amiss with his management.

The constant high turn over is definitely a factor and has been of concern to AFL. Is not surprising that MFC would perhaps not renew Steve's contract and bringing in a new CEO at this time makes sense while restructuring rest of the club.

Staff has been turned over at an alarming rate for last 5 years and costs us both in term of direct financial cost for salary payouts etc but equally in losing experience and relationships including with us members when the staff leave. End result is poorer club and lower moral and interest amongst MFC staff. Clearly not just clearing out inefficient staff but MFC has been unable to keep good senior staff and we have all suffered as a result, including players and coaches, sponsors etc.

MFC needs to fix this but equally needs to do with same thoroghness as selected DB. Not just go for a name (Brian Waldron who is at Storm was mentioned on SEN than MFC chased him). MUST make sure get a sound operator. None of us can afford another like Harris's predecessor!!!

BTW Harris was not a caretaker CEO he was the selected candidate. One of the Directors, John Phillips did the caretaker role after Ellis was chopped.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The high turnover of staff was at a significant $cost to the club, and a concern to the AFL. The fact that Harris is being replaced suggests that something was amiss with his management.

Correct. I dont think this has been a spur of the moment decision by the Club

Surely Harris is better than the "Snake-Skin Salesman". Remember that disaster :o

No they were both disappointments to varying degrees. We need to get a better CEO.

I understand there was a high turnover rate of staff but did that have anything to do with Harris attracting more capable and suitable people to the club to replace others less capable or suitable? I'm just asking, I don't know. But there seems to be an assumption Harris is a bad manager of people.

Yes it did. Many were recruited by Harris and were paid out of their contracts before time. There have been a number of other key people that have left frustrated with certain things at MFC. Its been the Club's loss. Unfortunately its not an assumption Gouga.

I worked with Steve Harris at Sunday Age many years ago and he struck me as not being particularly strong with the people skills.

He spoke to me only once while I was there, that was most of the time he was, and that was to tell me he didn't like something I did, a very minor matter too,

nothing that warranted the wrath of the editor.

Not someone with true leadership who unites a team but he was an ambitious man and thats something I want from a CEO too.

A new CEO, is SH to blame ?

well I conversely put it out there, who else is to blame if not him?

You wear those shoes, you take the good with the bad. Its been bad...time to go !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

just remember brian waldrons name, has been brought up on his friday show with KB and balmey twice now

was rumoured be meeting with MFC officials this morning, as he wasn't on the show

that would be very good for the club if it happens...

"BW?"

More speculation on the airwaves today about our next CEO being a female and coming from the ranks of current MFC board members. That means it's either Bev O'Connor, Sue Nattrass or Karen Hayes although the latter two would seem to be more professionally qualified than Bev whose forte is in broadcasting.

More speculation on the airwaves today about our next CEO being a female and coming from the ranks of current MFC board members. That means it's either Bev O'Connor, Sue Nattrass or Karen Hayes although the latter two would seem to be more professionally qualified than Bev whose forte is in broadcasting.

Based on their CVs, my guess would be Sue Nattrass. Her involvement in the Arts would require a lot of revenue raising.

I'd see Bev O'Connor as a future president rather than CEO.

Brian Waldron.

I reckon it would be a massive coup for us to secure Brian Waldron, but it'd pretty much put paid to any 'Team Melbourne' aspirations that may linger. Waldron has done a tremendous job for the Storm, and has shown great mettle to hold his own in a sport dominated by NSW and the Banana Benders. I can't imagine it's easy to succeed in a state where interest in your team is predominantly limited to bandwagon-jumpers, yet Waldron has done that.

I reckon it would be a massive coup for us to secure Brian Waldron, but it'd pretty much put paid to any 'Team Melbourne' aspirations that may linger. Waldron has done a tremendous job for the Storm, and has shown great mettle to hold his own in a sport dominated by NSW and the Banana Benders. I can't imagine it's easy to succeed in a state where interest in your team is predominantly limited to bandwagon-jumpers, yet Waldron has done that.

I disagree. I listen to Waldron on SEN every Friday, and he seems to have a deep seated hatred of us. Waldron's track record at Richmond and St.Kilda was poor. As far as memberships and crowds go, the Storm still struggle. And financially, they're bankrolled by News Ltd. Their on-field success is due to their former recruiting manager Peter O'Sullivan and coach Craig Bellamy.

I disagree. I listen to Waldron on SEN every Friday, and he seems to have a deep seated hatred of us. Waldron's track record at Richmond and St.Kilda was poor. As far as memberships and crowds go, the Storm still struggle. And financially, they're bankrolled by News Ltd. Their on-field success is due to their former recruiting manager Peter O'Sullivan and coach Craig Bellamy.

I agree mo, listening to Waldron on SEN is like listening to some trailer trash moron.

Just on Ch. 7- Breaking News:

Harris is going to get the sack either tonight or tomorrow.

The two main reasons being the poor overall profits from last year, and the 70% staff turnover.

Possible replacements:

- Cameron Schwab

- A possible first in football, a woman to take over the job, most likely one that is already on the board at the club.

Just on Ch. 7- Breaking News:

Harris is going to get the sack either tonight or tomorrow.

The two main reasons being the poor overall profits from last year, and the 70% staff turnover.

Possible replacements:

- Cameron Schwab

- A possible first in football, a woman to take over the job, most likely one that is already on the board at the club.

yeah i saw that too jaded and got straight onto demonland...intresting to see that the reporter was the contreversial guy that got akermanis info out and the hawthorn confidential doctor info out...good to see him on the box (cough cough))

anyway, go for the EXPERIANCED Freo dude because he has got fremantle to be the third biggest club in the AFL!! and freo are flying along up there...it would be a good move....i know it would be good to go through our own ranks but this guy would be a real coup

yeah i saw that too jaded and got straight onto demonland...intresting to see that the reporter was the contreversial guy that got akermanis info out and the hawthorn confidential doctor info out...good to see him on the box (cough cough))

anyway, go for the EXPERIANCED Freo dude because he has got fremantle to be the third biggest club in the AFL!! and freo are flying along up there...it would be a good move....i know it would be good to go through our own ranks but this guy would be a real coup

Isn't he the one that got us in the shite years ago? and JG went to the AFL about paying over the salary cap?

Isn't he the one that got us in the shite years ago? and JG went to the AFL about paying over the salary cap?

"The appointment of a young administrator in Cameron Schwab was also invaluable in assisting the Demons to attain a long awaited return to finals football. Schwab was instrumental in bringing players of the calibre of Warren Dean, Ricky Jackson, Brett Lovett, Steven O'Dwyer, Earl Spalding and Todd Viney to the club by the start of the 1987 season."

Demonland.

He means well...he'll be back with a vengaence, wont make more mistakes, id rather him that jo gutnick lol...hes done a ripper job at freo...

Schwab is very good. He fell afoul of Joe Gutnick for not telling him about some problems with salary cap issues that he was trying to keep quite. Joe effectively sacked him and exposed all to the AFL, which led to our draft restrictions.

It's a bit tough blaming him for poor profits last year considering our performances on field. I can't help but be a bit skeptical when these sort of sackings take place.

Rubbish. I'm a member of Storm as well, and they have one of the best memberships in the NRL, and their crowd figures while in the lower percentile are hampered by a 3rd world home ground. Just look at the surge in crowd numbers at Victory games once they moved from Olympic Park to Telstra Dome. Once the Storm move into their new facilities next year you'll see a marked increase in crowds. Waldron has been instrumental in a lot of these things happening. He's passionate and has made a huge difference since he's taken over. (unless you can claim to have been at some of the Storm info days like I have and can tell me otherwise). You cant just say its the recruiter and coach, thats a naive approach to what makes a modern day sporting organisation succcessful. And do you seriously expect to hear the CEO of Richmond or Carlton or anyone coming out and singing the NRLs praises on radio once a week? Of course not, their competing for the same recreational dollar on the weekends. I for one am quite happy for Waldron to stay where he is, and for the club to seek out 'the best and most qualified person for the job' now that Harris has officially left.