HARDER THAN A CAT'S HEAD

Whispering_Jack

HARDER THAN A CAT'S HEAD by Whispering Jack

The odd man out in Melbourne's quintet of draftees from today's 2007 AFL National Draft has been described as being "harder than a cat's head" by the regional manager of his TAC Cup team. I've never had a great affinity with felines so I wouldn't know how hard that might be but Kyle Cheney sounds like a no holds barred tough, straight ahead no nonsense defender. The Demons apparently had him earmarked for their selection at number 53. They got their man and they're happy about it. They should be happy about the other four selections they made as well!

I used the term "odd man out" in reference to Cheney not because the others selected are considered soft in any way but because the rest are all graduates of the AIS-AFL Academy where the cream of the country's talent can be found in the important formative age group for young footballers of around 16/17.

Cale Morton, Jack Grimes, Addam Maric and Tom McNamara have all cut their teeth at the Academy, all four of them were picked in last weekend's Age newspaper predictions of the top 25 draftees (although the South Australian fell to pick 66) and the first three are All Australians from this year's National Under 18 Championships.

When considering the wash up from a draft, you usually hear club officials boast that the players they got came to them later than expected. I already heard Fremantle coach Mark Harvey tell a reporter that he had Rhys Palmer as his number one draft pick. I don't want to say that about any of Melbourne's early selections – rather I think the club got it right and the players in question were picked at just about the right place.

What the club did get today was young men with talent and character and a good mix of positions, particularly in the mid size ranges. They are all very young (three are bottom age players born in 1990) with plenty of development ahead of them. Who knows where a prodigious talent like Cale Morton, a potential leader like Jack Grimes or a specially gifted Addam Maric might end up in the football pantheon one day? Having seen all but Cheney at the Under 18 Championships, I will say with some confidence that the prospects for most of them achieving ten-year AFL careers are good.

When I saw Morton play for Western Australia in July I said this of the Larke Medallist –

"The 17 year old is a tall midfielder at 192cm and is all class. I couldn't detect any weaknesses in his play, which was reminiscent of James Hird. The Bomber champion was a bargain when selected at pick # 79 in the 1990 National Draft but Morton won't come so cheap. He is certain to push his way into the top three and could even go at number one - he's that good!" THE WILD COLONIAL BOY

I don't know where this James Hird thing comes from but I'm told there are people who compare Grimes with Hird as well because he is the same type of leader at the junior level. And Grimes is a dyed in the wool true blue Demon to boot!

I first saw Addam Maric (can't parents of Melbourne players spell the word "Adam" properly?) as a 16-year-old when he kicked five goals in a TAC Cup Grand Final in 2006. He's a deadly shot at goal with an 85% conversion rate according to Champion Data and they say that he will on at least one occasion during his career kick a winning goal after the siren from an impossible position. I can't wait. And by the way, Morton can kick goals on the run from 55 metres out too!

Tom McNamara is also a player whose name has featured prominently in despatches. He's got plenty of ability, will start as a third defender type but because he's the youngest player in the draft (a distinction held by Matty Bate a few years ago), he has plenty of up side and could become a key defender one day.

A common thread among all of the players mentioned is their determination to win contests. Contrast these qualities with those we witnessed when the team was so badly plagued with injury and bereft of confidence and aggression in 2007

You might say I'm getting carried away with these kids and that the club hasn't covered all of its needs, like more tall key position players and what about a young ruckman (leaving aside that John Meesen from Adelaide is only 21 years old and that’s when most big mens' careers are starting to bloom)?

There is a clear view at the club that ruckmen are generally kept for later picks or in the rookie draft and further that you have to be somewhat wary with selection of taller key position types. The margin for error in both categories is far greater because you're investing so much in the future. In Melbourne's case, the club has recruited some good types for key positions in recent years and they are slowly coming along. The players recruited today are less of a risk and give the club the perfect basis for redevelopment under new coach Dean Bailey.

There are still five players to be added to the list in December, albeit that four of them will be rookies. There will be room there for the club to pick up one of the many promising young ruckmen within the system and to take one or two key position players.

In the meantime, one good way to assess the quality of the players Melbourne has recruited today is to take heed of what their coaches and managers have to say. Here is a pen picture of each of Melbourne's draftees from the 2007 National Draft with bios and stats from melbournefc.com and the quotes that follow are taken from the November issue of Inside Football. With players like these at the club it's going to be a lot harder to beat the Demons in the years to come. Harder than a cat's head.

Selection 4 - Cale Morton 18 January 1990 191.5 cm 78.7 kg

BIO: Midfielder/forward who is a long penetrating kick and a good winner of the ball both in the air and at ground level. Had outstanding NAB AFL U18 Championships winning Larke Medal (Div 1 B & F) and All-Australian honours. Highlighted his aerobic capabilities at the NAB AFL Draft Camp recording a 15.2 Beep Test Result (ranked No.1), along with a 10.32sec for 3km - putting him in the top 4 per cent of 2007 participants.

STATS: Kicks: 16, Handballs: 9, Disposals: 25, Marks: 9, Goals: 2 (Averages from NAB U18 Championships)

"Cale didn't play a lot of colts footy this year because he played with his school but when he did he showed his great skill for a player of his size. He managed to play one senior game later in the year and was named the best player at the national championships. Down the track I think his speed, endurance and athleticism he might find himself being a tall wingman who can be swung to either end of the ground with equal effectiveness." - Claremont talent manager Dean Horsington. WA rep 2007. Larke Medal. All-Australian 2007.

Selection 14 – Jack Grimes 11 May 1989 186.3 cm 81.6 kg

BIO: Hard-working and versatile player with great endurance and decision-making skills. Fine leader who won All-Australian honours this year. AIS/AFL Academy graduate. From Hurstbridge F.C.

STATS Kicks: 13, Handballs: 3, Disposals: 16, Marks: 2, Goals: 3 (Averages from NAB U18 Championships)

"Jack had an outstanding season until he sustained stress fractures in his back later in the year, which disrupted his season. He has great endurance, continually wins the footy and uses it well playing onball up forward and down back. Kicked four goals in one game but could just as easily play a role in defence. He's a very focussed kid who knows how to get the best out of himself. Won the award at the AIS for the most exemplary player by his peers. He is well and truly over the back injury now and is a quality kid." - Northern Knights' coach Paul Satterley: Vic Metro rep 2007. All Australian 2007 AIS-AFL graduate. From Hurstbridge FC.

Selection 21 – Addam Maric 18 April 1990 177.9 cm 76.8 kg

BIO: Smart forward who is exceptional around goals and a long, accurate kick. Strong over the ball, he won All-Australian honours this year. Graduate of the AIS/AFL Academy. From Greenvale F.C.

STATS: Kicks: 11, Handballs: 4, Disposals: 15, Marks: 3, Goals: 3 (Averages from NAB U18 Championships)

"We didn't have him that often but when we did he showed he was a pretty exceptionally talented young player with really good hands. He's a great crumber, has great goal sense, good footy nous and kicks the ball beautifully both left and right foot." - Calder Cannons coach David Flood.

Vic Metro Rep 2007. All-Australian 2007. AIS-AFL graduate. From Greenvale FC.

Selection 53 – Kyle Cheney 25 August 1989 184.6 cm 86.2 kg

BIO: Skilful medium defender who had an injury-interrupted start to the 2007 season before finishing off the year in great fashion.

"He's harder than a cat's head. Tough and straight at it but also has a very good leap and good pace. I can honestly say over the last two years Kyle has not been beaten in a one-on-one contest. He is also very professional with his preparation, rehab and focus from week to week." - North Ballarat regional manager Phil Partington.

Selection 66 – Tom McNamara 29 April 1990 190.1 cm 84 kg

BIO: Good reader of the play who marks well in contested situations. Has good vision and makes sound decisions. SA U18 representative this year and an AIS/AFL Academy graduate.

STATS: Kicks: 8, Handballs: 6, Disposals: 14, Marks: 2, Goals: 0 (Averages from NAB U18 Championships)

"Tom's an exceptionally talented player, I reckon. He was bound to school footy for a lot of the year but also missed a lot of the pre-season with a calf injury that put him behind the eight-ball. He played reserves for us and I didn't see him lose a contest. He plays half back but will develop into a centre half back. He reads the play well, is cool under pressure, he wins contested footy and is very disciplined in everything he does." - SA development manager Ben Porter. SA rep 2007, AIS-AFL graduate, Mike Fitzpatrick Scholarship recipient for 2007.

im really pleased that it seems we just went for the best available player. in the long run, we will be a better club for it.

the mistake of picking Luke Molan higher than he deserved bc we needed a hard-at-it CHF has been learned from.

stoked with our picks, our last 4 years of drafting has been truely sensational. these draftees, added to Frawley, Pettard, Jones, Bartram, Dunn, Bate, Newton, Sylvia, Mclean, Davey, Bell and Rivers will be a truley strong core of players to build upon. Geelong's premiership this season was based around 2-3 years of incredible drafting from 1999-2002 in which they unearthed about 10 premiership players. Could this be the case for MFC as well?

Also, i agree with what whispering jack said about Ruckman and 195+cm KPP. many seem a lil disappointed that we didn't pick up any really tall KPP. Firstly, these picks are much more risky and less likely to be 100game players. We can certainly pick up a couple of these types in the rookie draft, with Gourdis, Kangars, Geartner and Bellchambers still available.

But most importantly, we should not forget that we picked up 193cm key defender in Frawley and 192cm key defender in Garland just last year, so the club has certainly not neglected this need. With Frawley, Rivers, Garland, Newton and Bate we have 5 young KPP coming through, and McNamara can be added to this list.

anyways, premierships are won in the midfield nowadays... Mclean, Sylvia, Jones, Bartram, Morton and Grimes are 6 top quality midfielders coming through. add Dunn and Moloney who could also be included if they get their bodies right.

go dees

The cats head quote is a ripper. Phil Partington is a former Melbourne player, I wonder if that had anything to do with our attraction to Cheney.

I have been following the Dees for over 45 years. I can't recall a Phil Partington playing for us and his name does not appear in the AFL official list of all players. Nor could I find it on the list of heritage numbers in our almanac. I stand to be corrected though 'goodoil'.

im really pleased that it seems we just went for the best available player. in the long run, we will be a better club for it.

the mistake of picking Luke Molan higher than he deserved bc we needed a hard-at-it CHF has been learned from.

stoked with our picks, our last 4 years of drafting has been truely sensational. these draftees, added to Frawley, Pettard, Jones, Bartram, Dunn, Bate, Newton, Sylvia, Mclean, Davey, Bell and Rivers will be a truley strong core of players to build upon. Geelong's premiership this season was based around 2-3 years of incredible drafting from 1999-2002 in which they unearthed about 10 premiership players. Could this be the case for MFC as well?

Also, i agree with what whispering jack said about Ruckman and 195+cm KPP. many seem a lil disappointed that we didn't pick up any really tall KPP. Firstly, these picks are much more risky and less likely to be 100game players. We can certainly pick up a couple of these types in the rookie draft, with Gourdis, Kangars, Geartner and Bellchambers still available.

But most importantly, we should not forget that we picked up 193cm key defender in Frawley and 192cm key defender in Garland just last year, so the club has certainly not neglected this need. With Frawley, Rivers, Garland, Newton and Bate we have 5 young KPP coming through, and McNamara can be added to this list.

anyways, premierships are won in the midfield nowadays... Mclean, Sylvia, Jones, Bartram, Morton and Grimes are 6 top quality midfielders coming through. add Dunn and Moloney who could also be included if they get their bodies right.

go dees

I'm pretty sure that Geartner is too young to be picked up as a rookie.

Interesting to note that Player managers Paul Connors and "" Richardson were on SEN and rated Melbourne the winners of draft day.

They thought they absolutely brained then with their first 3 picks.

They believed if Morton wasn't on at 4, CAC would've taken Grimes at 4 and if Grimes wasn't at 14, they would've taken Maric at 14.

I have been following the Dees for over 45 years. I can't recall a Phil Partington playing for us and his name does not appear in the AFL official list of all players. Nor could I find it on the list of heritage numbers in our almanac. I stand to be corrected though 'goodoil'.

I'm pretty sure Phil Partington played under '19s for us, but never played a senior game. I think he ended up playing for Dandenong in the VFA.

In the age today

" Rival clubs declared that Melbourne had been one of the winners yesterday,"

Always good to read that other clubs think we have done well out of it as well.

That's good, but can we get the respect on the footy field- that is where it counts

I found this list of participants in the 2006/07 AIS-AFL Academy

NSW/ACT – Scott Reed (Pennant Hills/NSW-ACT Rams)

South Australia – Bradley Ebert (Henely/Port Adelaide Magpies), Hamish Hartlett (Edwardstown/West Adelaide), Tom McNamara (Happy Valley/South Adelaide), James Wundke (Walkerville/North Adelaide)

Queensland – Joseph Daye (Kedron), Brendan Whitecross (Kedron), Sam Reid (Suncoast Lions)

Tasmania – Aaron Cornelius (Glenorchy)

Vic Country – Patrick Dangerfield (Anglesea/Geelong Falcons), Lachlan Henderson (Geelong College/Geelong Falcons)

Vic Metro – Trent Cotchin (West Preston/Northern), Steven Gaertner (Edith-Aspendale/Dandenong), Addam Maric (Greenvale/Calder), Ashley Smith (Berwick/Dandenong), Luke Stanton (Etham/Northern), Tyrone Vickery (East Brighton/Sandringham), Dale Walker (Chirnside Park/Eastern), Patrick Veszpremi (St Mary’s /Northern), Jack Grimes (Hurstbridge/ Northern)

Western Australia – Clayton Garlett (Kwinana/South Fremantle), Cale Morton (Hale/Claremont), Nicholas Naitanui (Midvale/Swan Districts), Tony Notte (Upper Swan /Swan Districts), Daniel Rich (Sorrento/Duncraig /Subiaco), Dylan Ross (Marist College/Claremont), Tom Swift (Swanbourne/Claremont), Chris Yarran (Midvale/Swan Districts)

Northern Territory – Michael Gugliotta (Nightcliff), Marlon Motlop (Wanderers)