Sylvia? when will he shine?

DeeM

2008 is a big year for Sylvia. 2008 will be his 5th season, and you would expect him to start playing some consistent footy.

OP has really hurt him and I'm a huge Sylvia fan but I can understand why some people have thought he is lazy. I think Bailey will really work on him over the preseason and hopefully we see more of him in the middle because as good as he can be up forward his true strength is in the middle.

I'll be the first to admit, Sylvia is one of my least favourite players.

I have already called to trade him already why he still has value.

I am not sure if i judge him harder because he was a number three pick in the draft, but then again, i sometimes feel if he wasn't taken that high he might not have been given the chances he has over the last couple of years with what he has delivered.

I am not completely buying ino the never done a full preseason excuse. If he does the right things off the field, i am sure his body will come good.

In my mind, 2008 is the year he needs to stand up and actually influence some games, or we will be forever whinging on these boards about what a wasted high draft pick he was.

Sylvia is the best player on Melbournes list

When you consider he has NEVER done a full pre-season, he has actually been a very good player

If he can finally get a preseason under this belt, then look out. He will hit the AFL with a force not seen since Hiroshima was ironed out

If he can finelly get fit, I am guaranteeing a Best and Fairest for him in 2008, an average of 20 possies a game and 65 goals for the year

The kis is a freak

Am I the only one who thinks Sylvia wasnt dissapointing this year? Considering he didnt get a full pre-season and missed the first few rounds I didnt expect him to set the world on fire. I was just hoping he'd cement his place in the best 22 and start to have an impact on games; he did that for mine. There were no BOG performances but there were definately times when he was top 5 or so for us (not saying much, I admit) and I cant think of many games where he was shocking. He's yet to take that big leap forward like we've all hoped he would, but it was a big improvement from his 2006 season, and he'll be better still next year.

does any one remembe his game against Brisbane 32 touches bog/????

Blah, blah, blah, blah.....if you are a number three pick in the national draft as a midfielder, you should have racked up numerous games of substance.

Pettard was pick 20-something, and he already has a couple of memorable games. Brock, Bate, Dunn they have all had more memorable games.

I keep hearing on these boards about what a gun he is, and he's the best player on our list, and he's gonna rip games apart, but i want to actually see it.

Sylvia is only one good pre-season away to playing the type of footy we are all hoping from him. I think that if he gets through this pre-season, you gotta start using his natural talent in the midfield. He has a great set of hands and not only can find the footy, but normally makes good decisions. I hope to see him slip right into TJ's shoes and show us how good he is.

He actually only had about 24 touches but yeah, it was a great game

he always seems to play well in brissie... kicked a few tellin goals a few year ago when davey vollied that goal

Blah, blah, blah, blah.....if you are a number three pick in the national draft as a midfielder, you should have racked up numerous games of substance.

Pettard was pick 20-something, and he already has a couple of memorable games. Brock, Bate, Dunn they have all had more memorable games.

I keep hearing on these boards about what a gun he is, and he's the best player on our list, and he's gonna rip games apart, but i want to actually see it.

pettard has not had any memorable games from performance... maybe because of injury and a few better than a first gamer performances.

He absolutely glistens in a court of law or a bar!! Multiple BOG's!

lol...

i agree 2008 will be the telling year make or break

he always seems to play well in brissie... kicked a few tellin goals a few year ago when davey vollied that goal

pettard has not had any memorable games from performance... maybe because of injury and a few better than a first gamer performances.

You need to get a hold of Ricky's debut game against the Swans and have a rethink. What did Col have in his first game 2 years in? 1 handball?

I will have always have a lasting memory of Pettard backing into the hole with Barry Hall charging in, as opposed to Sylvia crunching one of his own players and putting him on the injury list for 8 weeks.

Anyone know what the status of Brent Prismall is, i know he told geelong to trade but is he actually out of contract?

You need to get a hold of Ricky's debut game against the Swans and have a rethink. What did Col have in his first game 2 years in? 1 handball?

I will have always have a lasting memory of Pettard backing into the hole with Barry Hall charging in, as opposed to Sylvia crunching one of his own players and putting him on the injury list for 8 weeks.

they are too very unrelated inncidents as for fergy being out, probly was more of a good thing.

i watched his game it was good... not memorable coz it was a stand out performance.... but coz we didnt expect much..

im not sayin he isnt great, but dont rate him too highly to quickly. (brock mclean)

they are too very unrelated inncidents as for fergy being out, probly was more of a good thing.

i watched his game it was good... not memorable coz it was a stand out performance.... but coz we didnt expect much..

im not sayin he isnt great, but dont rate him too highly to quickly. (brock mclean)

I rate him from the perspective of seeing him do some unselfish acts on the ground, the likes of which we have been complaining about some of our so called leaders rarely doing at all.

I rate him from the perspective of seeing him do some unselfish acts on the ground, the likes of which we have been complaining about some of our so called leaders rarely doing at all.

so are we talkin memorable moments or games?

lets see how silvia goes in 08 .... next year this thread will be more interestin

so are we talkin memorable moments or games?

lets see how silvia goes in 08 .... next year this thread will be more interestin

Well, that Swans game is a memorable game to me. And he hasn't played many to choose from yet.

Now it can be suggested that it was memorable because it was unexpected, or you can say if he was taken at no.3 himself in the draft and played that well in his first game, how excited would we be about was to come in the future.

This thread probably shouldn't go down the path of a Ricky vs. Col debate though, we all hope they both become great. I just have some serious doubt on Sylvia, but i will be the first to come on the boards and happily be proven wrong if he has a break out year in '08.

There is no doubt that having no pre-season is a big disadvantage to any player.

My worry is that we can't carry him if he consistently can't participate in pre-season training.

He has to get his body right and he has to start delivering. Eventually, the excuse of injuries won't cut it anymore.

This kid is a champion competitor above all else.

Tough, skilled and relishes in the pyhsical part of the game. The type of player we have been crying for since Viney retired.

Will blossom in 08 if he can get his body right - and hopefully be part of a very ferocious midfield of McLean, Moloney and Jones - will do a lot of damage.