The biggest myth in AFL football

Ash35

The Roos won last night because Hawthorn's midfield is crap.

Well Hodge played outside of the middle.. .didnt help their cause .

The Roos won because they seemed to better understand the occasion, played the ball not the man, played more a team game. Now I have no idea whether that was inpsired by the "Shinboner" or coincendental..lol :)

I actually thought some of Laidleys match ups were either , maverick, inspired or plain lucky...whichever they worked.

those ol' Shinboners Archer and Hervey... worthy of the mantle :)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Roos won because they seemed to better understand the occasion, played the ball not the man, played more a team game. Now I have no idea whether that was inpsired by the "Shinboner" or coincendental..lol :)

I actually thought some of Laidleys match ups were either , maverick, inspired or plain lucky...whichever they worked.

You're spot on, BUB. North won last night because Laidley coached better than Clarkson and the North leaders were far more influential that their Hawthorn counterparts. The fact that the Hawks spent most of the night trying to belt the living suitcase out of the smallest guy on the field told as to what state of mind they were in. I have the utmost admiration for North - they are a club to be admired because they genuinely have spirit and for as long as I can remember have always punched above their division. Since 1992 only 5 times has the Cup been won by a Vic side - twice by Essendon (enormous wealth), once by Carlton (over the cap) and twice by North. A mighty effort by the Kangas!

Certainly our leaders can learn lessons from these players

Congratulations to the Roos. I'm glad they won. And as mentioned by a few posters, there were many actual tangible reasons why they won.

They showed a fair bit of determination to win, as did Collingwood the night before.

I was even more happy that media didn't go overboard with the "SS" words over the weekend.

Hardly saw it mentioned. About time.

Plus, Hodge and Mitchell, especially Hodge, probably shouldn't have played due to being injured.

Bateman and Campbell Brown were also struggling with injuries.

You're again trying to decry the Kangaroos effort, by bringing up Hawthorn's injuries.

Just admit it Ash, you hate the Kangaroos.

I think the only myth regarding the Kangaroos is the one that a club with limited resources can't compete.

They do a pretty bloody good job if you ask me.

Interesting to see the Denis Pagan pep talk that Laidley authorised seem to have an effect?

Shinboner Spirit? Just call it culture. Kangas have it in spades.

You're again trying to decry the Kangaroos effort, by bringing up Hawthorn's injuries.

Just admit it Ash, you hate the Kangaroos.

i think ash's comment was in regards to the poster who said 'hawthorn have a crap midfield', the response to which, if theirs is crap, what is melbournes?

i think ash's comment was in regards to the poster who said 'hawthorn have a crap midfield', the response to which, if theirs is crap, what is melbournes?

Exactly right deanox.

My comments were in relation to why the Hawks midfield under performed on the weekend. Not because they are crap, but because they weren't fit.

To be honest mo64, of the 4 teams left in the flag race, the Kangaroos are the team I'd like to win the premiership the most. I don't think they will, but if it was up to me, I'd have them winning it.

I've said before, I don't hate the Roos. I was glad they won Saturday night. And how good was Aarons Edwards mark. The best mark taken this year, shame it can't win the Mark of the Year award.

BUMP

3 Finals. And two pathetic efforts

The Demons are a way better team than the Roos, injury stopped us from making a Prelim this season

Almost vomitted on Saturday morning when I picked up my Herald Sun and found a feature article on the Shineboner spirit.

From the article Ron Joseph was quoted : "At clubs with bigger memberships, their supporters only touch their colours, but at North we have the Shinboner spirit. North people can touch that spirit."

This is the sort of crap I was talking about. If North people believe this sort of junk, that's fine. But don't try to tell the rest of the footy world this magical spirit exists when your team puts in pathetic performances like it did on the weekend against Port Adelaide, and two weeks ago against Geelong.

I actually felt really bad for Glen Archer. The guy deserved better than to finish up his career in that sort of game. Reminded me of Anthony Stevens last game for the 'Shineboners' in Round 22, 2004 against the Brisbane Lions, and the Lions won by 113 points.

From the article Ron Joseph was quoted : "At clubs with bigger memberships, their supporters only touch their colours, but at North we have the Shinboner spirit. North people can touch that spirit."

This is the sort of crap I was talking about. If North people believe this sort of junk, that's fine. But don't try to tell the rest of the footy world this magical spirit exists when your team puts in pathetic performances like it did on the weekend against Port Adelaide, and two weeks ago against Geelong.

Shinboner Spirit in the lives of the Kangaroos is just like God in the lives of the religious.