• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Two match reviews v Dockers and ...

Demonland

PENULTIMATE - TWO VIEWS

ON THE SPOT by Melon 22 (from Subiaco)

We knew from the outset that it would be a rough day at the office for Melbourne against Fremantle at Subiaco on Saturday. For starters, the team was already ravaged by injury having lost six players from the side that played in David Neitz’ 300th game against Collingwood at the MCG eight days earlier. Matthew Bate (corked thigh), Daniel Bell (back), Aaron Davey (knee hamstring), Ben Holland (shoulder), James McDonald (shoulder) and Paul Wheatley (calf) were all missing and were replaced by Cameron Bruce, Simon Buckley, Chris Johnson, Paul Johnson, Brad Miller and Daniel Ward. It’s a tough ask to expect a cohesive four quarter team effort when there is so much dislocation within the ranks of the team.

Melbourne opened well and put in a very good first quarter effort with some strong, persistent football that was effective and brought excellent results on the scoreboard to get the home side and its supporters flustered and frustrated. The main reason for the encouraging start was the constant pressure, especially when the ball was in the forward line. Byron Pickett was the main antagonist at this stage. Jeff White was dominating the ruck against young Warnock of the Dockers and this allowed the Dees to get first hands on the ball and maintain some forward momentum in the game. A couple of lucky umpiring decisions went their way and this gave it a nice buffer which they should have capitalised upon.

However, all of the hard work was ruined by some concentration lapses in the final minute of the term when Fremantle kicked a couple of late goals to draw level at the break. The change in momentum proved to be significant and fatal for the Melbourne cause.

From the beginning of the second quarter, the Demons were on the defensive and everything turned south for them following a couple of early goals to Fremantle. The injuries may be one thing but the lack of accountability of the midfield and the backline players was quite staggering at times. The result was that the team was completely demolished by thirty minutes of insipid football.

There were players who seemed to be standing there watching the ball and the game go by them as if they where in some kind of twilight zone. Good pieces of play were ruined by laziness and sloppiness, poor disposal and bad decision-making and only a handful of players seemed to be angry or upset about their errors and their poor performance; most looked resigned to the fact of losing.

After the main break, it took a bit of aggression from the big skip in David Neitz for Melbourne to start to awaken from its slumber. There were a couple of fights, a bit of aggro and goals resulted. For a while the Demons appeared hungry again: the midfield tightened up and went in harder at the ball. Unfortunately, they did not make the most of the period when they held the ascendancy and some wayward kicking for goal hurt when the Dockers counterattacked and kicked a few quick unanswered goals.

That was the cue for the Demons to revert to their old ways and it was soon a case of game over. To top off a miserable day for them, Neita went down with a knee injury halfway through the last quarter, leaving the team devoid of any leadership.

Brad Green and Brock McLean worked their backsides off but had few helpers who would go beyond a few individual efforts. Jeff White dominated the rucks but the Fremantle midfield took advantage of many of the hit outs. Russell Robertson showed some class with a few goals but he too, looks to be suffering from the ravages of a tough season.

Hopefully, the club's next visit to Western Australia will see a new coach and a new invigorated team that is prepared to commit itself for 100% of the game and not just a part.

FROM A DISTANCE by Whispering Jack (from the discomfort of his own lounge room watching on Fox Sports 1)

I feel a lot of empathy for racing officials as they scramble to save their industry in the face of the equine flu epidemic. At least they have had the good sense to cancel all race meetings in horse racing's equivalent of the mercy rule. I think the AFL should follow suit in order to save the integrity of its own competition as well.

The mercy rule is used in some sports to end a contest prematurely as in when one of the teams has no chance of winning or even producing any meaningful result. After watching the rump of Melbourne's list go through the motions on the other side of the continent I can only say that it should have been applied to the Demons' season a couple of weeks ago at the very least.

I take no comfort from the fact that Melbourne has an excuse of sorts for its shameful on-field exhibitions in that its injury toll grows with every passing game. The lack of application by the team and the shambolic performance after establishing a two goal lead late in the first quarter was a disgrace.

The ensuing weeks and months will provide us with answers to many vexing questions. Questions such as who will win the flag, who will coach the Demons next, which players will be delisted, traded and recruited. On a wider scale, there is the question of who will lead the country and, at a more mundane level, whether we will get a public holiday in November if there's no Melbourne Cup?

But for now, I wonder what could have been done to spare us from what happened yesterday at Subiaco and whether there's anything that can spare us from what will happen next Sunday at the MCG when Melbourne takes on another basket case in Carlton. Paradoxically, neither of those clubs sits at the bottom of the AFL ladder because Richmond has been going through an even worse season although the Tigers are starting to show some signs of an awakening.

And strangely enough, there are fears in some quarters that this Melbourne team could actually open as the favourite next week because it is playing against a side that is not expected to even try to seek victory. There are supporters of both sides who care more about losing than winning because the long term gain from defeat is greater than the last home and away game of the season. On the other hand, there are some who will even refuse to go the game because of the farcical situation that has developed around it.

Those very thoughts are real and they constitute an utter blight on our game.

Melbourne 5.4.34 6.7.43 9.13.67 12.13.85

Fremantle 5.4.34 14.6.90 18.7.115 22.12.144

Goals

Melbourne Robertson 3 Green Neitz 2 Bode Ferguson Miller Newton Pickett

Fremantle McPharlin 5 Farmer Pavlich 3 Foster Peake 2 Bell J Carr Gilmore McManus Mundy Solomon Tarrant

Best

Melbourne Green McLean Jones Pickett Sylvia White

Fremantle Bell Mundy McPharlin Pavlich Solomon Gilmore Farmer

Team changes

Melbourne Nil

Fremantle Headland replaced in selected side by Schammer Black replaced in selected side by Foster

Injuries

Fremantle Nil

Melbourne Neitz (right knee) Sylvia (abdominal strain)

Reports Nil

Umpires Donlon Farmer Nicholls

Crowd 34,549 at Subiaco Oval

I love the Melbourne Football Club. I love going to the games, I even love going to the games we loose as I still enjoy the experience and it make winning better (well most of them). In well over 20 years I have never missed a Melbourne game when I am in the same city as which my team is playing. No matter who we are playing or how badly we are performing, I love going to the footy.

My fellow MFC supporters, I will not go to the game this weekend. The reason is simple but very rare. I would simply prefer if we lost. The advantage of loosing over winning is way to great. Logically the MFC must try and take the reward for failure.... draft picks. The difference in getting three drafted players in the top 20 compared with one in the top 20 plus second pick instead of 4th in the pre-season draft is simply too great. The difference between winning and losing will be three quality players as there is rarely anything left by pick 4 in the pre-season draft. The problem is the reward is going to the loser, but I want that reward.

Now I have a moral problem with the whole situation, but I love the MFC and thus I want for us what is best for the future....... and what is best for the future is Sheedy as coach and as much young talent as we can get. That means losing this game. I have thought about this and I can't possibly attend a game where my whole heart is not behind winning. The thought of barracking the other way disgusts me as does the possibility of tanking, but I want this loss. I want all the advantage we can get.

I will not be in attendance this weekend. I have a moral problem but a logical pro MFC brain. I don't want to see a contest to lose (masked by players trying to win).......... but make no mistake I want a loss.

I want Melbourne to lose. I know on the day I will want a win but my overall mid set is loose loose loose.

I will def be there. No matter what. I wont be seeing the Dees play for months, wanna breathe it all in. Try and get me to last the off-season.

But losing would be amazing for the club. Imagine if Richmond wins????

We get Matthew Kruezer.

Number 1 pick, the shame of wooden spoon will pass.

Melbourne have never had the player everyone knows, everyone talks about.

Never had our Riewoldt, Brown, Fevola, Hird, Franklin, Cooney.

I want a young superstar in the making. Not only to play well but to boost the profile of our club. Losing has SERIOUS benifits. Play every kid possible, play Neville and Garland. Get them out there.

I will not be in attendance this weekend. I have a moral problem but a logical pro MFC brain. I don't want to see a contest to lose (masked by players trying to win).......... but make no mistake I want a loss.

I hear you - as I've been telling my family for some time now before each game for the past couple of weeks, I hope Melbourne don't win.

I don't think however, the players are trying to do anything else but play their best and recall hearing a few who do understand the football culture from within saying the same. (and I do not think that is what you were saying in your post either) Players don't tank - especially if playing for thier position! So it may well be a good contest.

Of course doesn't stop the administration making the call on players or their playing position, but that would be a gutsy thing to orgasnise and even more so to verbalise given the scrutiny of AFL administration on this.

Friday night will be fascinating!

Melbourne have never had the player everyone knows, everyone talks about.

Never had our Riewoldt, Brown, Fevola, Hird, Franklin, Cooney.

I want a young superstar in the making. Not only to play well but to boost the profile of our club. Losing has SERIOUS benifits. Play every kid possible, play Neville and Garland. Get them out there.

So Barassi, Flower, Lyon, and all the other names that don't spring to mind are ???? Its just we havn't had one for a while I guess, but don't forget the drafting penalties imposed by Diamond Joe coming clean to the AFL. We are still seeing the fallout on that.

So Barassi, Flower, Lyon, and all the other names that don't spring to mind are ???? Its just we havn't had one for a while I guess, but don't forget the drafting penalties imposed by Diamond Joe coming clean to the AFL. We are still seeing the fallout on that.

Quite some time ago mate.

Everyone is retiring, there is a new breed of superstar, every one knows, marketable players. We don't have 1.

Quite some time ago mate.

Everyone is retiring, there is a new breed of superstar, every one knows, marketable players. We don't have 1.

Yeah I do know what you mean, we have had them - just not at the mo. What do they call them? The "Marquee player"

Hadren the fark up! :P

I'm coming back from a footy trip sunday arvo, hung over as all fark, over 2 hours on a bus and train to see my team try and lose. Now if that's not dedication I dunno what is! :lol:

I love the Melbourne Football Club. I love going to the games, I even love going to the games we loose as I still enjoy the experience and it make winning better (well most of them). In well over 20 years I have never missed a Melbourne game when I am in the same city as which my team is playing. No matter who we are playing or how badly we are performing, I love going to the footy.

My fellow MFC supporters, I will not go to the game this weekend. The reason is simple but very rare. I would simply prefer if we lost. The advantage of loosing over winning is way to great. Logically the MFC must try and take the reward for failure.... draft picks. The difference in getting three drafted players in the top 20 compared with one in the top 20 plus second pick instead of 4th in the pre-season draft is simply too great. The difference between winning and losing will be three quality players as there is rarely anything left by pick 4 in the pre-season draft. The problem is the reward is going to the loser, but I want that reward.

Now I have a moral problem with the whole situation, but I love the MFC and thus I want for us what is best for the future....... and what is best for the future is Sheedy as coach and as much young talent as we can get. That means losing this game. I have thought about this and I can't possibly attend a game where my whole heart is not behind winning. The thought of barracking the other way disgusts me as does the possibility of tanking, but I want this loss. I want all the advantage we can get.

great honest post.

Yep, but look here 'Demons 32' - http://www.thedrafter.net/all_drafts/all_d...?club=Melbourne

check the 20/20 from '98 to 2001.......

What is your point?

There is no marque guy drafted their for us.

Think you are saying we haven't had the draft picks. Well thats what im saying, our chance to get a great one.

What is your point?

There is no marque guy drafted their for us.

Think you are saying we haven't had the draft picks. Well thats what im saying, our chance to get a great one.

look @ the players we didn't pick, that went after we picked green & wheatley in '99

You miss out on alot in drafts. Plenty of bad choices and not everyone is a guarantee, but every few years there is a player you just have to get if your club with no real excitment. Someone who will get memebers in. Kruezer is the player.

This thread is sad but true. Both sides supporters are praying for a loss ( and a Richmond win ).

With all of the crap flowing about this game and the selections that will occur and the coaching on the day, the AFL will have to seriously look at dumping priority picks. This is an unhealthy situation and makes a mockery of the true sporting contest. Again I repeat, the players on the ground will try, it is the club's officials who will not, both in selection and coaching. My real fear is that Riley might want to win while Ratten clearly does not. This might be the last chance we have to secure an early pick in the national draft and pre season draft plus a bonus pick after round 1 in the national draft. Teams can be rebuilt quickly with this type of advantage. Please Melbourne, please, LOSE.

It's funny, my brother supports Carlton, and it looks like I'll have the chance to make it down to Melbourne for the game... I can see us now, barracking sort of.

I wonder if we'll swap scarves? I have plenty of spares (since they give us a new one every year) and I think he has a clean one as well as the one he wears for eating hotdogs (ie, actually going to the football).

Given that we're happy to see our team lose whe there's pick 18ish at stake, imagine the poor old Carlton buggers with pick number one in both drafts on the line, when they've had so much losing already - to win now would just kill 'em.

Honestly, if we do win I'd want it to be by a LOT.

But seriously, how can any team, ANY team, not beat Melbourne at the moment? We've quite literally reach the point where our only selection decisions are POSITON, not IN or OUT.

I'd like to make one last comment on the priority picks - the circumstance of this game is insulting to both clubs, and I hold the AFL 'leadership' responsible.

i understand.... SORT OF

u justified urself for wanting to lose..... but that still doesnt mean u should not want to go........u say u go to everygame.... its sounds to me if u think we will lose u wont go....( or if u want to lose :huh:)

now i think ur additude of wanting to lose is pretty poor.... combine with not goin coz u want to lose.... well u sink even lower...

u wanna continue to say "i go to every game" go to the game.... who knows we might lose by a point and it could be a great game.... u might see the goal or mark of the year....

dont be a lazy sook

We knew from the outset that it would be a rough day at the office for Melbourne against Fremantle at Subiaco on Saturday.

Can't imagine a much sadder end to a season than this. Hopefully, a new broom will be announced soon and we can sweep away the memories of 2007 altogether. We can't control what the clubs, the coaches and the players are going to do on Sunday. I will go to the game and if we win, I won't be upset. I'll be overjoyed even though I know we will be handing Carlton a generous gift. If they think it's so great to get an extra draft choice by tamking games or manipulating their line ups then it might turn out a poisoned chalice at the end of the day.

However, all of the hard work was ruined by some concentration lapses in the final minute of the term when Fremantle kicked a couple of late goals to draw level at the break. The change in momentum proved to be significant and fatal for the Melbourne cause.

From the beginning of the second quarter, the Demons were on the defensive and everything turned south for them following a couple of early goals to Fremantle. The injuries may be one thing but the lack of accountability of the midfield and the backline players was quite staggering at times. The result was that the team was completely demolished by thirty minutes of insipid football.

There were players who seemed to be standing there watching the ball and the game go by them as if they where in some kind of twilight zone. Good pieces of play were ruined by laziness and sloppiness, poor disposal and bad decision-making and only a handful of players seemed to be angry or upset about their errors and their poor performance; most looked resigned to the fact of losing.

I was at Subiaco on Saturday, but was not going to post my thoughts as they were nearly all negative. I will qualify my comments as well with the admission that I am literally a one eyed Melbourne supporter, who can not see past the midfield due to my limited eyesight.

As noted in the match summary from Melon22 not all of our woes are injury or fitness related.

These are negative things that happen, things that in my opinion would be unacceptable even at a good local football level.

Q2

Daniel Wards inexplicable turn over kicking out from full back, what was he thinking? More likely not thinking, dinky little kicks with no positive target seem fatal. Clear the zone at least if you are not sure!

Lazy running, no pushing up on the break or pushing back on turn overs.

Literally a player would win the ball on the half back line and take off, look up and see no Melbourne targets. Why not? Because they were all standing still in the centre square watching! As soon as we get possession they should be pushing forward to the "fat" side. Instead we kicked "down the line to a contest or worse to a Freo jumper. Cut the crap, get back to in one side / out the other, and push up in support. Ditto with turn overs, make a beeline for the back half.

This is called gut running, you do it in support of your team, not hanging around "hoping" they will win the ball or a luck turn over will lead to a rebound.

Its a sign of one of three things. 1) Laziness 2) Lack of fitness 3) Lack of concentration

What were Colin Sylvia and Paul Johnson talking about when Solomon ran past them and kicked that goal? Neither player was watching the play; they were having a nice old chit chat. No concentration, no awareness=second to the ball.

McPharlin, Tarrant and Pavlich stretched the backline to breaking point. We looked short and slow down back I am unsure if Carrol spent the whole game on Pav, but whoever did take Pav did a good job. McPharlin made Fergy look slow and short; he’s going to have stop marks all up and down his back this week.

Q3)

Great start a bit of vigor, push and shove. Excellent, but a goal or two to the Dockers soon made it look like false bravado. Well done Brad Miller for going in hard, he has nothing else to lose, so a bit of aggression at the man was fantastic. Bruce and Nietz having a crack too, but again Daniel Ward, where is your footy brain! We know Farmer is annoying but that shove resulted in a 50 M penalty and a certain goal. You were given a task, but you cannot concentrate, tagging means attention all day.

Again, no pressure on turn overs, watched players running ahead of the ball carrier to "corral" them to a boundary or fill the zone. Very nice, but no support makes it meaningless, they just run further up the ground and have more time to spot/create an option.

Q4) My main source of entertainment was the barking dog on ABC 720. Mouse doing the boundary line thing tracked down a blind man whose dog barked every time Freo scored a goal. The dog did not bark when the Dees scored, or when a point was scored. Pretty funny, but the RSPCA was called in late in the game because the dog was hoarse!

I did see some good things, things you cannot see on the normal TV coverage only at live games.

Nathan Jones. Awesome. How does that guy slip tackles? He looks like he is moving slowly and when tackled is quite prepared to take on the tackler, amazing amount of power!

Brock McLean similar, but more in and under, looked slow and unresponsive to me, still injured? I stopped watching for him in the last quarter.

Travis Johnston, good last half of football until about mid last quarter as well. Where was he in the first half?

Jace Bode. Did some nice work in the first quarter, looked calm in the company.

Funny thing, although I came away frustrated by things I would consider unacceptable on an AFL ground, I still think the Melbourne footy club is on the right track.

There is enough on show to make me look forward to 2008. Bode, Frawley, Bate, Buckley, Jones all show a little. McLean, Sylvia and Jones all have upsides. Travis Jonhston, Sylvia, Jones and McLean when fully fit will one day absolutely destroy a team. Dunn and Newton are showing some versatility, Dunn as a tagger in the midfield thats flexible for a big KPP/forward. Get Newton into the gym and he will be a monster!

Sadly, I reckon Wardy is gone, along with Bizzell. But there could be a few others in my opinon Brown, Pickett and Fergerson. Yze is fortunate he has a contract. I have a soft spot for Brad Miller but I reckon he is trade bait.

There could be the odd shock retirment as well, perhaps James McDonald, will his body survive another full year in the midfield? Is it time for a role as a small forward/small running back?

Ditto Jeff White and David Nietz, I accept they will both do a pre season, but what state will they be in by the end of 2008?

Nomed