DAVID NEITZ 300 TRIBUTES

DemonTraveller

With the big man's 300th imminent, I thought I would start a thread celebrating some of Neita's finest moments as a demon. There have no doubt been many, but i will list a few of my favourite memories of the first demon to reach the magical 300 games mark. Congratulations Nieta, your passion for the club is there for all to see and you are an inspiration to everyone who loves the red and blue.

1. 1994 final series: A very young and rangy David Neitz holding down centre half back with grace and skill belying his young years. He ran up the ground and set up numerous forward thrusts for the young David Schwartz, and the not so young Garry Lyon, to capitalise upon.

2. 2002 when Neita won the coleman. What an amazing year he had. My favourite recollection of that year was watching Neitz kick a bag against brisbane at the gabba, as the demons stormed home to overcome an early 6 goal deficit and stunningly defeat the rampaging lions on their own turf. His leading and marking that day was so powerful and his kicking was dead straight. I remember going nuts watching the game on tv with finks.

Join in and share your favourite memories in this special week for Neitz and the club.

Well done Neita, your an icon of the club and one of its greatest champions.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There have been so many great Neita moments over the years - starting with that great pudding bowl haircut on debut!

One of my lasting memories will be the game he played against Essendon this year to farewell Neale Daniher - that game alone shows his strength of character.

Very touching to learn of the guard of honour being organised for Friday night - will be a great spectacle and I imagine quite emotional to see all those little number 9 jumpers out on the ground!

With the big mans 300th imminent, i thought i would start a thread celebrating some of Neita's finest moments as a demon. There have no doubt been many, but i will list a few of my favourite memories of the first demon to reach the magical 300 games mark. Congratulations Nieta, your passion for the club is there for all to see and you are an inspiration to everyone who loves the red and blue.

1. 1994 final series: A very young and rangy David Neitz holding down centre half back with grace and skill belying his young years. He ran up the ground and set up numerous forward thrusts for the young David Schwartz, and the not so young Garry Lyon, to capitalise upon.

2. 2002 when Neita won the coleman. What an amazing year he had. My favourite recollection of that year was watching Neitz kick a bag against brisbane at the gabba, as the demons stormed home to overcome an early 6 goal deficit and stunningly defeat the rampaging lions on their own turf. His leading and marking that day was so powerful and his kicking was dead straight. I remember going nuts watching the game on tv with finks.

Join in and share your favourite memories in this special week for Neitz and the club.

Well done Neita, your an icon of the club and one of its greatest champions.

Round 22 1996 - the merger game. The Hawks were playing for a spot in the 8. He played a blinder - 6 goals on Langford and nearly got us over the line. We lost by a point but still just about the best game I have seen for the emotion of it all.

I would also have to comment on the way Neita conducted himself at the Round 1 game vs Essendon a few years back - the first game we played after the loss of Troy Broadbridge. Both Neitzy and James Hird were fantastic the way they lead their respective teams that night - it was such a bitter sweet evening - so proud of our team but so tragic at the same time. Even Essendon supporters were crying. There are a lot of examples of Neitzy playing blinder games but the Troy Broadbridge game and the Neale Daniher game just speak volumes for the guy as a person - a champion player and a champion bloke!

I am and always will be in awe of big Neita. His continued leadership in all different situations has been nothing short of remarkable. It is a testament to his character that he holds the record for the most games, goals and most games as captain. Much too many memories to list them all, however a couple stick out in my mind.

1. This year against Essendon. The courage he showed to play that night basically on one leg, to lift himself up and contribute in the way he did was inspirational. I will never forget the focus he showed that night.

2. The whole of 2002. To win a Coleman Medal is an achievement of the highest order, and Neita carried us to the finals in 2002 and with a little injury luck we may well have given the flag a shake that year.

Congratulations Neita, I will be there on Friday night standing and applauding the greatest Melbourne Football Club player to ever exist.

Congratulations Neita, I will be there on Friday night standing and applauding the greatest Melbourne Football Club player to ever exist.

Interesting point about him being the greatest MFC player ever - I was having this discussion the other day when my son asked who was the best ever Demon player. I said Neita would have to be right up there and my (St Kilda barracking) husband laughed and said "what? ahead of Ronald Dale and Robbie Flower?" I said he holds just about every record that is to be held at the club and he is a legend. It is a honour to be able to watch him play.

I try to tell my 7 yo footy obsessed son that he will be 90 and still be able to tell people he saw the likes of Neitzy, James Hird, Juddy, etc; play this great game.

I bought a David Neitz framed/signed picture at auction a few years ago - hangs proudly in my son's bedroom and we will never part with it.

The man is a L E G E N D ! ! !

This is th MFC's most important game since the 2000 Grand FInal

NOBODY desreved to become the first 300 game player at the Demons more than the legendary David Neitz

Where would we be without him? He has held this team together for the best part of a decade.

He has been the sole leader of the club this century, having to carry the load of the softest pansies this side of Fountain Lakes

Not once in Neitzs time as captain has any player put his hand up to help Neitz with leadership duties

But big Neita has never complained, and has been an absolute inpiration to his players and the Melbourne fans

I can not wait for Friday night, when Neitz does something that Barassi, Flower, Lyon, Stynes or any other Demon before him has not done

WE LOVE YOU NEITA

I just hope MFC supporters turn up in droves to celebrate the milestone.

I know it's not our home game, but that's no excuse!

I'll be there, and I've convinced another 4 MFC supporters I know who don't get along to many games to make the effort!

My favorite memory? Watching David Neitz and David Schwarz tear them up in the Under 19s Comp, thinking 'these two guys are gonna be awesome in the Red and Blue one day'..

It was a final at the MCG, and the Demons had played in both the Under 19s and reserves finals, and as we were walking along Brunton Avenue after the game I spotted Neita, and asked him for his autograph. He was genuinely taken aback that someone would recognise him at that stage, and happily signed away and had a few words to me.

Others are his hit on Luke McCabe, his game against the Dogs at TD when he kicked an absolute bag, his developement as an inspirational leader, and just his overall 'likeability', he seems a really nice all-round guy, who also just happens to now hold just about every record there now is for the oldest sporting club in the World.

Well done Neita, you deserve every accolade you get...

Anyone got a list of his best goal kicking efforts?

I know he has booted 9 goals in a game on a couple of occassions, versus the Tigers and the Blues

9.2 v carlton round 15 2002

9.1 v richmond round 2 2004

8.4 v kangaroos round 20 2006

8.3 v st kilda round 10 2006

8.2 v western bulldogs round 14 1996

8.0 v carlton round 19 1996

and bags of 7 against dogs (3 times), tigers, lions, saints

This was a pain in the arse to type out, but worth the effort

9.2 - Round 15, 2002 vs Carlton

9.1 - Round 2, 2004 vs Richmond

8.4 - Round 20, 2006 vs Kangaroos

8.3 - Round 10, 2006 vs St.Kilda

8.2 - Round 14, 1996 vs Footscray

8.0 - Round 19, 1996 vs Carlton

7.3 - Round 20, 2002 vs Western Bulldogs

7.3 - Round 14, 2002 vs Brisbane Lions

7.2 - Round 2, 2003 vs Western Bulldogs

7.2 - Round 4, 1997 vs Western Bulldogs

7.1 - Round 13, 2003 vs St.Kilda

7.0 - Round 15, 1996 vs Richmond

6.6 - Round 6, 1993 vs Richmond

6.4 - Round 4, 2004 vs Port Adelaide

6.4 - Round 13, 1996 vs Adelaide

6.3 - Elimination Final, 1998 vs Adelaide

6.3 - Round 5, 2001 vs Sydney

6.2 - Round 5, 2004 vs Sydney

6.2 - Round 22, 1996 vs Hawthorn

6.2 - Round 16, 2004 vs Western Bulldogs

6.2 - Round 5, 1997 vs West Coast

6.1 - Round 16, 2004 vs Sydney

6.1 - Round 17, 2004 vs Richmond

6.1 - Round 18, 1999 vs Geelong

6.1 - Round 17, 2002 vs Port Adelaide

6.1 - Round 5, 2003 vs Sydney

6.0 - Round 6, 2005 vs Fremantle

6.0 - Round 5, 1999 vs Port Adelaide

6.0 - Round 8, 2006 vs Hawthorn

6.0 - Round 4, 2002 vs West Coast

Good luck to the old fella next week. I still have fond memories of his entire 2002 season. Was an absolute monster up forward. Another special mention to his match vs St kilda last year where he kicked something like 5 goals (from 8) from outside 50, and set some kind of record. Was great that day with his long kicking!