Captain

Demons 32

McLean.

Hands down the best man for the job, but ONLY if Neita chooses to hand it over himself. If he wants to captain next year, he deserves to.

I hate the idea of having a caretaker captain. McLean may not be 100% ready, but he'll grow into the role, and is our best long-term option. In theory, he should still have plenty of support from his senior players (but as Homer Simpson would say "in theory, Communism works :rolleyes: )

Leadership group for 2008:

McLean ©

Green (VC)

Rivers

... throw in a couple of other names (Junior for one more year?, Bate? Jones? Bell?)

no cameron bruce?

did u forget he is our best player? most consistant, had an injury plauged year like mclean but stilll prob been our best.

bruce should and will be captain...

mclean fans...... u really got on board too quickly he has proved to us this season he is not ready.... bruce carries the team almost every week....

Bruce ©

Green, Rivers (VC)

neitz mclean possibly in the mix

no cameron bruce?

did u forget he is our best player? most consistant, had an injury plauged year like mclean but stilll prob been our best.

mclean fans...... u really got on board too quickly he has proved to us this season he is not ready.... bruce carries the team almost every week....

Bruce ©

Green, Rivers (VC)

Bruce Green and Rivers would be our best players, with Johnstone but he cannot lead.

Bruce is better than Green but Green is a better leader.

Mclean is awesome and is gonna be amazing but he can't be captain yet.

no cameron bruce?

Bruce ©

Green, Rivers (VC)

Didn't you know bruce is being traded for a first round draft pick at the end of the year? ;)

Well, so everyone around here thinks anyway

Didn't you know bruce is being traded for a first round draft pick at the end of the year? ;)

Well, so everyone around here thinks anyway

That won't happen, what everyone else thinks and what is fact will be quite different.

They will not trade Cameron Bruce.

Trained hard, Set an example, was not easily destracted

Could Relate to all players

Got the job done

Dedicated and determined

Had a voice at training and on the ground

These are the sorts of things that should determine who is captain.

I believe that you cant groom just anybody for the captaincy. The qualities should already be there you just need to cleanup the edges.

My pick Nathan Carroll.

These are the sorts of things that should determine who is captain.

I believe that you cant groom just anybody for the captaincy. The qualities should already be there you just need to cleanup the edges.

My pick Nathan Carroll.

I just don't see carroll as captain material(not that i don't value his efforts - I think he is great)

I picture a good captain as someone blistering through the middle of the ground showing great courage and leadership

Some crazy suggestions going on in this thread.

White? He's been in the leadership group for years, and was recently taken out. No thanks.

Bruce? Being a good player doesn't make you a good leader. Does anyone have any evidence of him actually being a good on-field leader? Was he a leader in junior footy? Has he ever expressed a strong desire to be a captain?

Davey? You have got to be kidding me. Last year I would have said maybe, but not after the way he's performed this year. Goes missing too often, losses his cool and is too inconsistent. No thanks.

The fact of the matter is, our best leaders (Neita and Junior aside) will come from the younger players. McLean has leadership qualities coming out of his behind, and was a leader in junior footy. Same goes for Jones and Rivers. They lead by example, and they embody the sort of playing qualities that we all admire. If Godfrey was a better footballer, you can bet he'd be in the leadership group.

McLean may not be absolutely ready next year, but sometimes circumstances force our hand. I like the idea of co-captains, but I'm not sure the club would go for a set-up like that. At the end of the day, we need to appoint someone who we know will be a long-term candidate.

Bruce, White, Junior, even Green will only be keeping the seats warm for Brock, Rivers, Jones and so on.

Neita wasn't necessarily ready to be captain, and he grew into the role. There is nothing to suggest Brock won't.

I really think we need to wait.

First off if Neitz plays next year and isn't captain, he will still be captain.

Lloyd is captain of Bombers,

Vandenberg captain of Hawks.

Hird is still really the captain of the bombers. He is the real leader, crawford to a lesser extent but still there.

To name someone else next year is pointless cause Neitz will still be captain deep down in every players mind.

Plus I think we should hold off on Brock. Because Jones is looking like a true midfield leader, no nonsense, no stupid free kicks, no whinging, just hard football.

Rivers is much the same and leadership pours from him and McLean.

I think leave Neitz in and decide on captain the year after. Mclean, Jones or Rivers. (Because Jones is so young he should be a deputy.)

Maybe growing into the role of a captain instead of having the time to learn and prepare makes for a captain that has too many flaws, or maybe growing into the role is a great way to get the player to learn quicker and give them incentive to lead by example. Really we are talking about individuals with their own thoughts, ambitions, dreams, morals, ideas, tactics etc etc. It all comes down to personality not just skill or potential of stardom.

I dont get why people say "i thought brock but he is having an ordinary patch so lets leave it with neitz"

Have you seen how Neitz has been performing lately? Like it or not he is WAY past his best. Him and brock are the best leaders though.

Atm, on the feild, Brock is performing better then neita.

Brock should definately be given the job next year so neita can be more of a mentor next year while hes still around.

Brock for 08

I like it alot :rolleyes:

Alright mate, since you seem to be a big part of this thread tell me what you really think instead giving that weak sarcastic response.

Alright mate, since you seem to be a big part of this thread tell me what you really think instead giving that weak sarcastic response.

I was being serious...

I genuinely agreed with what you had to say, sorry if I gave you the impression otherwise.

:wacko: Sorry mate, i usually associate the rolly eyes as sarcasm! My deepest appologies! :P

:wacko: Sorry mate, i usually associate the rolly eyes as sarcasm! My deepest appologies! :P

All good, I just use :rolleyes: as a normal smile, I now see I could/should have clicked the "next" button and used the :D or :)

No to white, and as for a best player, 7% of his hit outs went to advantage on the weekend, jamar had 0%

A good player, not our best.

Bruce is a great player but i have never thought him captain material,

Green is similar but the times he has stood in he has done a good job

Trapper has no chance, nor pretty much any other older player with the exception of junior.

Out of the young guys McLean and Jones are the stand outs, one is 21 the other 19

I think McLean is the better option and I'd rather see him now than give it to some one for 2 years and say,"hey you can be captain until Brock gets to 23"

Voss, Carey, chris johnson got it young and it did not hurt their futures.

I just don't see carroll as captain material(not that i don't value his efforts - I think he is great)

I picture a good captain as someone blistering through the middle of the ground showing great courage and leadership

I don't know, Hawthorns captain regualrly plays at Box Hill, and they are flying ATM!

Would've said McLean before his untimely injury, but he needs another year or 2.

J Mac, Bruce or Green for an interim 1-2 year role. Mclean to be groomed into the role and take it on long term when he's 23- 24.

No way.

J Mac as captain- Battler but not a captain.

Bruce - Soft and shouldn't even make the leadership group

Green - Best selection of the 3 but no. Besides is everyone suggesting to trade Greeney.

Sad state of affairs is that we just dont have anyone else that has leadership qualaties except for our young guns Chook, Jonsey and Bater.

Make Chook Captain and Bate-Green VC. Give them the responsabilaties now and let them grow better players with it.

Green should captain for 2 or 3 years.

Then hand it to someone else. At least we know Green will consistently play pretty good football, and he won't shirk in a contest, or give up on game day.

Green should captain for 2 or 3 years.

Then hand it to someone else. At least we know Green will consistently play pretty good football, and he won't shirk in a contest, or give up on game day.

Surely you jest? :lol: