Buckley must be sounded out ... forget Voss!

Guest bjs

Guest bjs

I wrote a wrote a reply under "Danners one more year" espousing the undoubted precosity of Nathan Buckley as coach.He is ,without a doubt, the most informative and knowledgable football brain of current. He does not deal in the modern metaphor or the cliches most assistant coaches have learnt to get by with.

Football scribes have basically indoctrinated as gospel the modern fact that a potential footbaall coach must have participated in some sort of supporting role.This has come the way via the calamity of Tim Watson at St Kilda and the success of Roos and Worsfold.Let us consider some other names -

Leigh Matthews

Kevin Sheedy

Mick Malthouse

Here we have three coaches with coaching longevity at around a combined 50 years and combined have tasted premiership success in four of the last 7 grand finals and have had a hand in reaching a further four more grand finals.All of these men have supposidly come from an archaeic system where coaches did not do a traineeship.

Are we going a touch to far by condemning the likes of Voss and Buckley for the lack of a formal apprenticeship.There are a plethora of assistant coaches in the AFL and most seemed to have become tainted by a collective modern speak.Rarely do we here any talk that raises the ranks of these men above borderline dilettantes.

Nathan Buckley must be at least spoken to and very soon. Gary Lyon and Gerard Healy should be appointed by Gardner in the capacity of reviewing and informally interviewing potential coaches. Nathan Buckley knows the game and i believe he has the eye of a football oracle.He has the ability to cast Melbourne in the playing style best adapted for success.

Buckley has the knack of making the complex seem simple whilst i believe Voss does the complete opposite.Great leaders have this ability for the common men like footballers and us, lack the capacity to keep up with their genius.

I'm not sold on Buckley. I think he has the potential to coach, but I'd feel better with Voss in charge if we persue either of these two, which we would be insane not to do. I guess it all depends on what he wants to do, whether he stays in an assistant role with Pies or even goes into the media for a few years.

Plus he is stubborn, he will train and train until he has no hamstrings left before he retires!!

Guest bjs

I dont think bucks has any hamstrings left,if we have the board capable of selling the many positives in our list and assert the self confessed prosperity it is achieving off the ground into funds spent on the football department ,we could make a very good offer to Buckley.

I am the minority when it comes to Voss.I think he lacks lateral aptitude and struggles to suffer people who possess less than his own lofty expectations.He was a great leader on the ground and lead by example .You cant do that as a coach.You must inspire with words.I dont think Voss left the playing group of Brisbane in a very good state.He hampered more than he helped when he could not get on the groung,Akermanis and Power debacle case in point.

Buckley seems to be a fantastic motivator ,not just when playing but also when he has been sidelined for stretches.There is no doubt he as also garnered a knack for appreciating the talents of other lists which will inturn help stabilise ours and plot the demise of others.

It has been a long time since Melbourne has thought out of the box,it time to.Our list is strong,pundits know so,we just need a totally new football department.

In any argument of Voss v Buckley.. consider that Vos is a man in motion here. He is on a MISSION to coach. Whilst no realy exerience at the highest level I will give him kudos for doing the coaching course and classes etc. He's actually got his hand up.

we know nothing of Buckley

I also have the idea that Buckley is being groomed for some role within the Magpie environment

I also have the idea that Buckley is being groomed for some role within the Magpie environment

I get that distinct impression as well bub.....

Plus I am not sure how the Pies would take it if we started talking to a still-contracted player about any position within our club.

Whether or not he would be a good coach is almost irrelevant if he is still under contract to Collingwood and has no intention of retiring.

And on the retirement front we are all just speculating :unsure: ........

and...call it churlish...call it childish.. cal it 'late for dinner' but as a true red and blue I would have serious issues...lol.. with a Wobbly ( champ as he may be ) coming into our midst..

sends horrible shivers just thinking of it...lol :-)))

sends horrible shivers just thinking of it...lol :-)))

that makes 2 of us now...

Table for three :unsure: ?!!!

Guest bjs

I hope the board is not as short sighted and ignorant through bias as some of you guys are.To believe that Buckley is being groomed by Malthouse for a Collingwood coaching job is rediculous not obvious.Collingwood are flying ,Mick Malthouse would have to buck years of coaching tradition and show a massive amount of humility in grooming his successor.

Please dont tell me we shouldnt look at Buckley because he is from Collingwood.This isnt a david williamson play it is real.Nobody coaches there own club anymore.

Perhaps we should get connely.Another nice guy who cant coach.He played for Melbourne.

Melbourne supporters used to have an amount of football intellect.Reading some of your comments i thought i was at St kildas website.

Guest bjs

agreed woulnt it be great to stick it up our arch rival and eddie in proving for once we have a board who could outpoint someone

If Buckley is in retirement mode he should be spoken to,he does seem to have a very low key ,subdued method of communication.He seems totally different to the player i hate.He does seem to talk sense not cliches (rarity) .Supporting and assistant coaches do seem to have marvelled the "talks the talk" way.He is refreshing in his original thought.

I too think Bucks might be great. I've always been impressed with his unflappable focused attitude, similar to Lee Mathews. I think he'd be great to pinch from the Woods. We did very well in the past with Phonse Kyne (was that his name?) as coach. The only downside is that Eddy might follow him!