Devils in the detail

Alan Smithee

As to be expected, The Age is all over this one and their assessment.

The chairman says the club would make a similar profit to last year's $750,000. This seems difficult to believe, given that the club's normally poor attendances have been poorer than last season.

The Demons are still almost three years away from moving to their new Olympic Park home, but for now Daniher's team trains in substandard facilities on a small ground. This does not excuse its performance on Friday, but nor should the board start backslapping itself.

Gardner admitted last night that his comments could have been untimely, said he had spoken to Daniher at length to clarify his comments, and said the coach accepted his explanation. Daniher last night refused to comment on what his chairman had said.

For all the details...

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/devi...525.html?page=2

Did you notice they havent put any name to the byline ?? Read to me like a piece of cr@p really. If they accuse Gardner of being self serving then this article does it to the nth. Sometimes the Aged is well written...and then there's this rubbish !!

that proud she ommits her tag ?? a joke.. I normally have a read of Carro.. but thats tripe.. and if it is Carro she might have a closer look at her own mob before criticising us..lol

Give him a break, he's solely responsible for our financial position and at the moment he must feel like he's captain of the sinking Titanic with how the team is imploding around him.

Jarka please - solely responsible? What about the other board members? All are accountable for the financial situation of the MFC. And that doesn't look too good when you take out the hand out from the AFL. As I've said before smoke and mirrors

Gardner said when our season was done and dusted, then he would talk to Neale about the coaching position. It's now done and dusted and he has said what we all expected him to say - that his position is under threat. Wilson is talking about of her behind again, it's as simple as that.

Apart from scurrelous and needless remarks towards supporters, Gardner has hardly put a foot wrong from my view. He is empowered and required to govern and manage the club. If he didnt do something now it would be his job that Dee fans would be beying for.

What has he done..well quite calmly and cooly he's brought the shutters down on the 'rubbish' that has impersonated a season to date. He's put a line in the sand and has formulated a criteria for the way forward. What he hasnt done is any knee jerk sacking and huffing and puffing.

Ive seen him before on 'classified' and Carro doesnt get very far with him. ( he's a bit smarter than her and I think she begrudgingly knows it !! lol ).

He has very cleverly offered Danners , in my estimation , an opportunity to walk with honour before the sword drops.

What the article gives is a glossed over appraisal of selected items of information without quite ironically going into the detail alluded to in the headline !! it ignores the notion that off filed improvement can considerably inprove your bottom line even when forecasted gates arent realised.

The article is muck raking and not even done well, hence the lack of writing ownership !!

Give him a break, he's solely responsible for our financial position and at the moment he must feel like he's captain of the sinking Titanic with how the team is imploding around him.

Jarka please - solely responsible? What about the other board members? All are accountable for the financial situation of the MFC. And that doesn't look too good when you take out the hand out from the AFL. As I've said before smoke and mirrors

Most people don't even know who are the other board members. Give me one example of when a club goes bad that the President doesn't cop the flak and the other board members do.

Unlike most, I think Caro generally makes sense, but she's off the mark here.

Worse, the comments reeked of politics. The Melbourne faithful did not need to hear from Gardner that the coach and the players had their futures on the line. Surely they knew that anyway.

She obviously doesn't read Demonland or Demonology.

Perhaps you should run for the Board Sickto, speaking of smoke and mirrors - put up or shut up. I'm happy with their perfoirmance.

Unlike most, I think Caro generally makes sense, but she's off the mark here.

She obviously doesn't read Demonland or Demonology.

Spot on (and I too am a Caro fan).

Melbourne supporters WANT to hear that things are being done, defeats are taken seriously, the board is working towards a better future.

I don't care if it doesn't help our on-field performance, because at the moment we're playing for nothing but pride.

Daniher is under pressure, he would have known that way before Gardner went on SEN.

Perhaps you should run for the Board Sickto, speaking of smoke and mirrors - put up or shut up. I'm happy with their perfoirmance.

Completely agree, up untill now they have done a great job with resurrecting the club financially. I don't completely agree with everything they've done but that's life, you can't make everyone happy all the time.

This post is a bit bitchy...The issue here is that the members are the single most important intangible for a football club , am I not right?

Firstly, he didn't say all of our supporters are fickle, but I agree with him. We have one of the lowest membership numbers and when we don't play well we get shiite crowds. Look at Collingwood and Essendon, even when they're playing poorly they get 50k plus crowds. I fear for our future.

Jarka, yes he did...I'll pull the article if necessary. Maybe we should start serving consistently good meals. When the chef starts spitting in the soup, pull the sonofabitch.

As for C'Wood & Bombers, for starters, try picking-up a members mag & having a look? It wasn't that long ago that C'wood was in the [censored]. Remember?

Please give it some thought.

Jarka, yes he did...I'll pull the article if necessary. Maybe we should start serving consistently good meals. When the chef starts spitting in the soup, pull the sonofabitch.

As for C'Wood & Bombers, for starters, try picking-up a members mag & having a look? It wasn't that long ago that C'wood was in the [censored]. Remember?

Please give it some thought.

I've just heard a recording of the actual interview, so i don't need to read an article on it.

Compare these figures, and please put some thought into it.

http://stats.rleague.com/afl/crowds/melbourne.html

http://stats.rleague.com/afl/crowds/collingwood.html

Two sub 17k crowds this year against interstate teams - I dare you to find the last time Collingwood or Essendon played in front of 17k or less at the MCG.

out of interest, it does say that our crowd averages at home are the second highest in the last 7 seasons...and the 4th highest in the last 17 years...

that shoes that our crowds are growing with time, but i spose it doesnt say if they are growing enough, or in accordance with the growth rate of everyone else's.

collingwoods home crowds are their best ever, and it is interesting to note that in their 4 home games so far they have got nearly as many to their home games as we got to our 7 home games...

out of interest, the '11' home games, does that include the brisbane, carrera, optus oval and manuka home games we have played over the years? because crowds at these venues would drag figures down.

and while i know this year has been exceptionally low at the g, usually we get a better crowd at the g than at TD yet are forced to play there. while collingwood gets 11 at the g.

He has very cleverly offered Danners , in my estimation , an opportunity to walk with honour before the sword drops.

What more honourable way than to offer to mentor Voss and give him the apprenticeship so many say he needs?

If he doesn't agree then he can walk and maintain some semblance of honour by admitting it was time for a change.

out of interest, the '11' home games, does that include the brisbane, carrera, optus oval and manuka home games we have played over the years? because crowds at these venues would drag figures down.

The answer is yes, but what also drags the figure down is having less that 17k against an interstate team, what's drags it up is our annual Queen's B'day home game against the pies.

What more honourable way than to offer to mentor Voss and give him the apprenticeship so many say he needs?

If he doesn't agree then he can walk and maintain some semblance of honour by admitting it was time for a change.

Is it just me or does anyone else think she rears her ugly head whenever Melbourne's down and needs to be kicked a bit more?

She might be well informed most of the time but on this issue the club is doing the right thing carrying out a full review at this time. It can no longer affect our finals chances and seeing we're headed for a bottom eight finish, there's not much difference between finishing 10th or 16th and I'd prefer to run with youth for the rest of the season and not the hacks. I don't want to lose games but, at least by going with youth, we find out who can play and who can't.

Ha Ha Caro has got exactly what she has wanted. :lol:

She has just highlighted our plight to deflect the fact that the Toigs are going just as crap;......... three years into a rebuild.

She has also made news where there was no news. She is trolling for muck she won't find and stirring up the supporters along the way to help create something to write about.

She is probably [censored] off that the two coaches who are likely to part company with their respective clubs at the end of this season will probably do so without the clubs 'tail spinning' into turmoil beforehand.

Not everyone eats their own Caro. Some clubs have the foresight to plan for such events (which are inevitable) and handle them in a.... well, how did Paul put it, "logical, methodical way".

Paul Gardener has done the right thing by getting on the front foot and announcing what everyone knew anyway, He has effectively taking the steam out of any media driven witch hunt.

No matter what the result on ND's position it should be done in a dignified fashion on the clubs terms NOT those of the media, or the supporters for that matter.

FWIW.

How this situation is handled could have a huge affect on the view prospective coaches have of the club, and given we are NOT one of the hugely supported or financial clubs we can't afford to miss out on the best coach available because of trashy media driven inunendo.

Stick tight. It will all be over in 10 short weeks.