Open Letter to the MFC

36 minutes ago, RickyD said:

Sure. Writing this on my phone so sorry if I’m missing anything.

1. I have written, other family members have too. Club never bothered to respond. 

2. Not much… but enough. I’ve worked for government organisations and in various roles where reviews like this have been conducted. I’ve tried to avoid passing judgement on Pert (and likely failed)..  I believe there are better people to do that… they should just be independent of the administration.

3. I have not. Can’t do much about the past but I wojld like to in future. I don’t think that stops me from being able to share an opinion, does it?

4. I think there’s been enough speculation about what’s been going on at the club. It’s the reason they’re chosen to conduct a review in the first place isn’t it?
I don’t want to be the one passing judgement on management, I’d like a more knowledgeable third party to do that.

My name is on the article, I’m not hiding my identity.

5. I have never met Peter Lawrence and prior to starting the petition I had never had any communication with him. Like many, I only saw club communications regarding his lawsuit along with a bit in the press.
It’s easy to draw opinions when you mainly hear one side of the story and from what I can gather he is a thoroughly decent guy who simply wants the best for the club. I think his legal actions achieved good. He’s dedicated more time and money to the club than I could even dream of.  While raising my own grievances with the club I’ve realised how hard it is to get anything meaningful from them and I have a great deal of respect for his commitment.

I’ve spoken to him recently and it seems many of our views are aligned.

6. No. I have tried to contact Brad Green without success. 

I’d really just love for someone to say why they wouldn’t want independent voices as part of the review. It makes no sense to me.

Does anything I’ve written make my point less valid? It shouldn’t matter who is saying this.

31 minutes ago, RickyD said:

1. I have written, other family members have too. Club never bothered to respond. 

2. Not much… but enough. I’ve worked for government organisations and in various roles where reviews like this have been conducted. I’ve tried to avoid passing judgement on Pert (and likely failed)..  I believe there are better people to do that… they should just be independent of the administration.

3. I have not. Can’t do much about the past but I wojld like to in future. I don’t think that stops me from being able to share an opinion, does it?

4. I think there’s been enough speculation about what’s been going on at the club. It’s the reason they’re chosen to conduct a review in the first place isn’t it?
I don’t want to be the one passing judgement on management, I’d like a more knowledgeable third party to do that.

5. I have never met Peter Lawrence and prior to starting the petition I had never had any communication with him. Like many, I only saw club communications regarding his lawsuit along with a bit in the press.
It’s easy to draw opinions when you mainly hear one side of the story and from what I can gather he is a thoroughly decent guy who simply wants the best for the club. I think his legal actions achieved good. He’s dedicated more time and money to the club than I could even dream of.  While raising my own grievances with the club I’ve realised how hard it is to get anything meaningful from them and I have a great deal of respect for his commitment.

I’d really just love for someone to say why they wouldn’t want independent voices as part of the review. It makes no sense to me.

Quite easy we are having the reviews, the footy dept because of our finish this year, and the other for no other reason than to try and shut the noise up.

Lawrence is only interested in one thing, himself, he would be able to say Lookatme....he cost the club money.

You hit it on the head with the word speculation.

You are asking people to sign a petition because in your mind you are right, that is not an opinion.

Government says it all, inertia as an art form, my opinion of course, unless it is a major project, then everybody is ready to rort the taxpayer...a government project on time an on budget, I would like to see that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RickyD said:

Does anything I’ve written make my point less valid? It shouldn’t matter who is saying this.

You have written the letter under the name Ricky Dunn, but don't think that is your name.

Edited by drysdale demon

1 hour ago, Satyriconhome said:

Quite easy we are having the reviews, the footy dept because of our finish this year, and the other for no other reason than to try and shut the noise up.

Lawrence is only interested in one thing, himself, he would be able to say Lookatme....he cost the club money.

You are asking people to sign a petition because in your mind you are right, that is not an opinion.

Government says it all, inertia as an art form, my opinion of course, unless it is a major project, then everybody is ready to rort the taxpayer...a government project on time an on budget, I would like to see that.

You seem to have done very little except make excuses for the current administration & blame everything on the media or supporters asking serious questions.

You & a group of other posters continue to enable & reward poor performance & accountability.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2
  • Clap 1

1 hour ago, Satyriconhome said:

A lot of points there:

1. The reviews being conducted are not just about our on field performance and I think there's been plenty documented to warrant them.

2. I'm no expert on Lawrence's legal battle with the club but my understanding is that the court validated at least some of his concerns. Seems to me the club cost themselves money by not giving better consideration to his requests for fairer and more transparent board elections.

3. I'm asking people to sign the petition because I don't want self interest to dictate the direction of the club I love and support.  Perhaps fortunately for those who oppose my opinions, I won't pursue it much further. I jumped onto this forum to explain my perspective in the hope some more of you might understand or even agree.

4. I don't think my background is really of relevance here but I share your frustrations with how our state and federal Goverments operate. So we can at least agree on that 😁!

The thing is, many of the reasons we keep having budget blowouts and poor decisions from our state and federal leaders is due to a lack of accountability. Many have excellent CVs and probably try their best... but self preservation is a driving force for a lot of people over and whoever or whatever they represent. 

It's the same reason I want club leaders to step back from the review and for the MFC to employ a third party who they don't already have a relationship with. No conflict of interest. I think that's a good thing for any organisation, especially those that rely on donations and memberships.

Edited by RickyD
gramatical
  • Like 4
  • Clap 1

41 minutes ago, drysdale demon said:

You have written the letter under the name Ricky Dunn, but don't think that is your name.

Jeez there's a lot of skepticism here. Not sure why it's important, but yes, Ricky Dunn is my name mate 🤣

2 hours ago, RickyD said:

the review(s) are currently underway ... and you are complaining about not being able to start a dialog with club executives about a different and new review ... really?

don't expect any announcements from club until current review(s) are completed ... apparently sometime in october 24.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, RickyD said:

A lot of points there:

1. The reviews being conducted are not just about our on field performance and I think there's been plenty documented to warrant them.

2. I'm no expert on Lawrence's legal battle with the club but my understanding is that the court validated at least some of his concerns. Seems to me the club cost themselves money by not giving better consideration to his requests for fairer and more transparent board elections.

3. I'm asking people to sign the petition because I don't want self interest to dictate the direction of the club I love and support.  Perhaps fortunately for those who oppose my opinions, I won't pursue it much further. I jumped onto this forum to explain my perspective in the hope some more of you might understand or even agree.

4. I don't think my background is really of relevance here but I share your frustrations with how our state and federal Goverments operate. So we can at least agree on that 😁!

The thing is, many of the reasons we keep having budget blowouts and poor decisions from our state and federal leaders is due to a lack of accountability. Many have excellent CVs and probably try their best... but self preservation is a driving force for a lot of people over and whoever or whatever they represent. 

It's the same reason I want club leaders to step back from the review and for the MFC to employ a third party who they don't already have a relationship with. No conflict of interest. I think that's a good thing for any organisation, especially those that rely on donations and memberships.

Just one question from me Ricky.

Who was your favourite Spice Girl?

• Haha 2

Welcome to Demonland Ricky D. Despite making your points logically, fairly and respectfully, you were attacked relentlessly. Unfortunately, it happens a lot here.  Ironically, I believe most here think the club should be having an independent review for bleedingly obvious reasons, but they were either not on-line or disappointingly quiet.

You should have started by attacking the press. that will always get you on-side. Really, who outside the club knows the whole story? What we do know is that many things just aren't right on and off the field, and haven't been for some time.  Under pressure, the club finally conceded that, but chose to self audit. Great for job security, but not transparency.

I fully support your stand on what should have happened, and still needs to.  This club leaks like a siv and I expect those particular individuals will survive the process, for it's self-preservation and importance that drives them, not what's best for the club. I will always support the club, but accept we have a habit of self destructing every so often (watch the Norm Smith sacked topic from 13 Sep). 

You have already been accused of being a journo, using a pseudonym etc. I'm sure more theories will come. You'll get a laugh from them, believe me. But, If you stick around, you will get to read posts from many reasonable and balanced people. It's up to you if you can bother.

For what it's worth, I had already signed the petition when I posted it here. If we want to put a full stop to all this, it needs to happen. 

PS. Saty, I worked in middle management in Federal Government for 15 years, so please disregard this post.

• Like 6
  • Clap 3
  • Shocked 1

1 hour ago, RickyD said:

Jeez there's a lot of skepticism here. Not sure why it's important, but yes, Ricky Dunn is my name mate 🤣

Don't worry Ricky, Drysdale Demon is into all sorts of weird conspiracy theories. You can say you are Ricky Dunn, confirm you wrote the letter, do a DNA test and send him photos and he will still believe you were on the grassy knoll. Suggest you do what most of us do on this forum and just skip over his posts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Clap 1
  • Shocked 1

1 hour ago, daisycutter said:

the review(s) are currently underway ... and you are complaining about not being able to start a dialog with club executives about a different and new review ... really?

don't expect any announcements from club until current review(s) are completed ... apparently sometime in october 24.

Well better to ask the question in early October, than wait until you get the whitewashed report later in the month.....well done Ricky! Remember, in September there was no external review happening at all (recall Kate's answer to the question in the famous interview?) - it suddenly got turned into an external one by enlisting Darren Shand and an unnamed external, independent expert to review the Board. Nice way to put the badge on it. Fantastic!

• Like 5
  • Angry 1

3 hours ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

Question or challenge the club and feel the full wrath of @Satyriconhome

When this sort of carp happens @ Hawthorn, Carlton or Collingwood the supporters stage a revolution.

Whereas as our lot include lots of sycophants & apologists.

And that is why they have had more success than us in the last 50 years.

If Satyriconhome was running things Neeld & Cam Schwab would still be running things.

• Like 1
  • Clap 3
  • Angry 1

11 hours ago, Satyriconhome said:

How bad?  I was at a packed B&F on Friday, the positivity in the room was palpable, if you want to believe all the garbage peddled by the media, that is your choice.

Couldn’t give a brass razoo what the media think. Additionally, you don’t think a lot of attendees at the B&F aren’t wearing rose-coloured glasses?

Much like cheer squads who are almost delusionally optimistic.You’d more than likely see me as a pessimist, I’d like to think of myself more as a realist. 

Im just going off what I’ve seen at games from 2021-2024, and the drop off is stark. Our team-wide defence and pressure has gone from manic to underwhelming, our cohesion has dropped off a cliff, our attack while never our ace has become a liability, our midfield has gone from tormenting to being tormented and our once rock solid defence that held out the longest has finally cracked.

Throw in the off-field instability………….yes, the situation is bad. And when 95% of the AFL industry reckon it’s bad, maybe it’s time to forgo pride and come back to the real world before it becomes arrogance.

We only finished 14th on the ladder after all.

• Like 6
  • Angry 1

17 hours ago, DeeZone said:

You are probably a bit young Katrina to know this term but 5th Columnist springs to mind, they are people who work with the enemy to undermine the will of the people to resist and fight back. It’s the direct opposite of Unity.

How old do you think I am?  I'm 53.  I've had plenty of close dealings with the club, including board members, including staff members.  Don't patronise me.

• Haha 1
  • Clap 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Katrina Dee Fan said:

How old do you think I am?  I'm 53.  I've had plenty of close dealings with the club, including board members, including staff members.  Don't patronise me.

Sorry Katrina wasn’t trying to patronise you I wasn’t sure that you would be familiar with the term 5th Columnist.😁

8 hours ago, RickyD said:

Congratulations on at least being transparent as to your identity. The same question still applies to you though: are you being 'compensated' to launch a very public campaign against the club you claim to love, or is it just another self-serving exercise to promote your own content and media production aspirations? 

The reason some might be skeptical, is that others are obviously being paid to currently post on this forum or have connections to those who are, and your 'open letter' was accompanied by a video uploaded on a social media account which is solely focused on tourism and has never had anything remotely to do with football.  

In fact, I'm hard-pressed finding anything related to your support of the Demons across all your socials over the past decade and beyond, except for one 'repost' of our grand final victory. You do however reference West Ham United a lot, which seems odd compared to your total lack of public recognition given to the Dees until a week ago. 

I'll take your word for it though that you are - were - a member of the MFC, as I likewise have rarely ever stepped foot in our home city. I did however grow up in Aussie Rules territory in South Australia, supporting the Redlegs, which explains my connection to the red & blue, as frequently detailed right here on this fan site.

Note to admins: RickyD has openly connected his Demonland profile to his petition to his Instagram page, so I'm not 'exposing' or asking anyone to reveal themselves. My question is why he has continued to go so hard after getting his fan letter 'surprisingly' published in the Age, which is already so ridiculous to begin with.

Ricky has since humbly expressed his regret for bringing additional negative media attention to our club - defending his approach by counterbalancing it with what is in his opinion the best interests of the MFC - while at the same time courting the likes of Kane Cornes on Twitter and gleefully promoting the letter's publication.  

On that point Ricky: why do you have such a big and happy 'disarming' smile while complaining about our governance on film? Surely you must be as bitter and disenchanted and full of vitriol as the rest of us to take such drastic actions, rather than looking like someone who just had their cocktails comped on Koh Samui. 

You're bringing serious Brett Kirk vibes to that recording mate. I would love to compare your expressions to what might be expected of @Sir Why You Little filming a similar hostage video from Thailand. But some other quick questions while I'm here, which I'm sure you can answer in your adopted tone of voice:

Why did you spell 'idolized' in the American fashion in your letter to Brad? Did you write it in its entirety yourself? I quickly cross-checked all your other blogs I could dig up and didn't come across another instance of you using a 'z' in place of an 's', only examples to the contrary. But I know you've been out of the country a lot though. 

Also, some of those on the record as having driven the recent board challenges at other clubs as highly paid strategic comms outsiders - and now being suspected of doing the same at the MFC - had very lofty positions at Tourism Australia, where you also worked, at the same time. Do you perhaps know of them or have any relationship? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Clap 4

15 minutes ago, DeeZone said:

Sorry Katrina wasn’t trying to patronise you I wasn’t sure that you would be familiar with the term 5th Columnist.😁

All good, and I get where you're coming from.  I am a high school media teacher, though so I'm well versed on motivations of media organisations and reportage, particularly on what may influence their behaviour against models and theories of media communication.  My opinions of the media are steeped there.  I am proof it's possible to simultaneously love and hate media :)

Edited by Katrina Dee Fan
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

56 minutes ago, Skuit said:

Congratulations on at least being transparent as to your identity. The same question still applies to you though: are you being 'compensated' to launch a very public campaign against the club you claim to love, or is it just another self-serving exercise to promote your own content and media production aspirations? 

The reason some might be skeptical, is that others are obviously being paid to currently post on this forum or have connections to those who are, and your 'open letter' was accompanied by a video uploaded on a social media account which is solely focused on tourism and has never had anything remotely to do with football.  

In fact, I'm hard-pressed finding anything related to your support of the Demons across all your socials over the past decade and beyond, except for one 'repost' of our grand final victory. You do however reference West Ham United a lot, which seems odd compared to your total lack of public recognition given to the Dees until a week ago. 

I'll take your word for it though that you are - were - a member of the MFC, as I likewise have rarely ever stepped foot in our home city. I did however grow up in Aussie Rules territory in South Australia, supporting the Redlegs, which explains my connection to the red & blue, as frequently detailed right here on this fan site.

Note to admins: RickyD has openly connected his Demonland profile to his petition to his Instagram page, so I'm not 'exposing' or asking anyone to reveal themselves. My question is why he has continued to go so hard after getting his fan letter 'surprisingly' published in the Age, which is already so ridiculous to begin with.

Ricky has since humbly expressed his regret for bringing additional negative media attention to our club - defending his approach by counterbalancing it with what is in his opinion the best interests of the MFC - while at the same time courting the likes of Kane Cornes on Twitter and gleefully promoting the letter's publication.  

On that point Ricky: why do you have such a big and happy 'disarming' smile while complaining about our governance on film? Surely you must be as bitter and disenchanted and full of vitriol as the rest of us to take such drastic actions, rather than looking like someone who just had their cocktails comped on Koh Samui. 

You're bringing serious Brett Kirk vibes to that recording mate. I would love to compare your expressions to what might be expected of @Sir Why You Little filming a similar hostage video from Thailand. But some other quick questions while I'm here, which I'm sure you can answer in your adopted tone of voice:

Why did you spell 'idolized' in the American fashion in your letter to Brad? Did you write it in its entirety yourself? I quickly cross-checked all your other blogs I could dig up and didn't come across another instance of you using a 'z' in place of an 's', only examples to the contrary. But I know you've been out of the country a lot though. 

Also, some of those on the record as having driven the recent board challenges at other clubs as highly paid strategic comms outsiders - and now being suspected of doing the same at the MFC - had very lofty positions at Tourism Australia, where you also worked, at the same time. Do you perhaps know of them or have any relationship? 

Nice research mate, i think Ricky may be a little quieter going forward….

This is why it is hard to actually pinpoint whether a Club is leaking information. There are now so many levels of Social Media, words can travel so easily 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Skuit said:

Hey Skuit

I'll try address everything you've written but I'd rather not keep writing about myself and my intentions. This really should be about the club and what's going on - not about me. I'm answering all your questions because I don't want skepticism to hinder anything, so here you go:

- My actions relating to the MFC were not intended to be self serving and I can't see any benefit I'm gaining from this. I started a petition after receiving no response from the club and getting encouragement from some other supporters to do so (family, friends and some on a FB group that saw the letter).

- I'm not paid by anyone. My opinions are not for sale. Have you ever made a petition? The only way to get signatures is to try and get the word out. It's why I made a video on social media and it's why I'm on this forum. The Instagram account used has 2 posts in the last 4 years and this is the only video on there with me talking to camera. I don't see how this would help me with anything, in any way. I don't engage much on Twitter normally either, but thought I should put it on multiple platforms.

- I'm sorry that you're not convinced I'm a supporter. My Dad grew up barracking for the Dees and raised me to do the same. Despite living overseas for a lot of my adult life, I've still purchased a membership almost every year since I started working full time. I reckon I've watched every game (albeit on TV) that we've played in the last 30 years. Yes, I'm also a West Ham supporter.

- I've continued to go 'hard' because I'm frustrated at what the club is doing. After my letter was published I saw an opportunity to actually make an impact and bring positive change. 

- I tagged a handful of media people who I thought could bring attention to the petition. I've never done something like this before and just doing my best to raise awareness of the petition. Nobody picked up on it, so I guess I did a poor job.

- Funnily enough, I was on Koh Samui when I filmed the video 🤣 It was at 9am in the morning though so no cocktails comped at that time. I'm a happy go lucky person. I smile a lot - some people might find it weird. I'm Sorry. I very much doubt I would have that smile filming a hostage video in Thailand.... but this is footy - it's not life and death and there's a degree of amusement at the ridiculousness of the situation. 

- I try to proof read things I put out. I lived in America for a bit and my wife teaches kids in America. I've had to use different grammar interchangeably and I can inconsistent. I'm really baffled at the degree of scrutiny here.

- If you give me names of the people at Tourism Australia you're referring to, I'm happy to clarify - but to the best of my knowledge, I don't have a relationship with any of these people. I haven't talked to anyone from my professional life about this.

I'd really love to keep the talk on here about the footy club. Unless it's something you feel the world needs to hear, I'd prefer other questions about my personal life off a public forum. You can DM them if you wish. Hope you understand.

Edited by RickyD
clarified who encouraged petition to avoid more speculation
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Nice research mate, i think Ricky may be a little quieter going forward….

This is why it is hard to actually pinpoint whether a Club is leaking information. There are now so many levels of Social Media, words can travel so easily 

I have nothing to hide. I just wish you'd apply the same level of scrutiny to the MFC club admin as you are to me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, daisycutter said:

Hey mate
Yeah I I wish I'd got onto all of this earlier. I assumed pressure would build after details of the review were first called out by some media and the club would then change their approach.
Obviously that didn't happen... one thing led to another and here we are. 
I still believe a fully independent review should be conducted.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RickyD said:

I have nothing to hide. I just wish you'd apply the same level of scrutiny to the MFC club admin as you are to me.

I just wish we weren’t front and centre in the Media Spotlight every day….

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

I just wish we weren’t front and centre in the Media Spotlight every day….

Yeah I get that. I reckon this is just the nature of sport these days though. Lots of money = lots of media, both good and bad.
At the end of the day, we all want success for the club and to be proud of the Dees. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, RickyD said:

Yeah I get that. I reckon this is just the nature of sport these days though. Lots of money = lots of media, both good and bad.
At the end of the day, we all want success for the club and to be proud of the Dees. 

The nature of Sport has nothing to do with it. Many Clubs don’t make a sound, i wouldn’t write to a Newspaper venting frustrations, which does nothing more than feed the Frenzy…..

• Like 2