2024 AFL Grand Final

Demonland

Brisbane has a poor 3-16 record at the MCG dating back across the last decade, though that run features a gruelling period where the Lions lost 15 of 16 straight games there. The three wins are all from 2020 onwards, with Brisbane holding a 3-8 record since the turn of the decade

• Shocked 1

On 26/09/2024 at 15:15, hardtack said:

A half?? I’d do it for $50 and a meat pie!

I enjoy a good concert as much as the next person.

But this is the GF not a KP outing.

The amount of props, pyrotechnics, dancers and gimmicks used by some artists is often done to disguise or distract from the fact that the performer is sub par in talent. An inverse relationship.

Show business is fun but KP is in the business of making money rather than music.

But that's pop music and culture for many.

It would just be refreshing to have some talented musicians that can entertain by virtue of their talent.

Before all the KP nuffies scream about how many albums she's sold , it is worth saying that is not a metric of talent but rather some great marketing and sales.

5 million is a lot of biscuits for the tripe she served.

We could have spent half that on some local mutton. Or we could have presented a half decent local artists and all won.

The Afl is obsessed with having to jet in some name from overseas as if we don't have anyone here frothing to take the stage.

Yes Oz needs USA acts to be relevant. Wake up Afl. It's just not true. Despite or population, we have produced some of the greatest musicians in the world.

The Superbowl doesn't fly in second hand hacks from OS every year. Why should we?

Once in a while is ok but fgs take into account the demographics. Yeah so many die hard footy punters just salivate at the prospect of watching KP.

I mean so many of my mates flew down to Melbourne and negotiated with scalpers just to get a glimpse of this women trying to be an artist.

Good luck to her making the dollars she has but please Afl don't spend ridiculous amounts of moola on this hack that has no talent whatsoever.  Money aside, there are 200 s of Oz artists that could do so much better. And if for some reason you just have to have an American act, find someone who has talent.

This 39 or something year old woman is trying to be 20 and her computer software that turns out these intolerant songs is just as outdated.

It's a nice sentiment to try to have inclusive entertainment. But I think with KP the pendulum has swung too far. I reckon it's fair to say that half or more footy fans on the day are male. And I dare say that at least half of them don't have KP in their Spotify playlists. So fgs why would you shelled out all that cash to fly her in?u niece was happy about it but she didn't even watch the gf on telly. It's just arrogant to pick an act like that without thinking who's at the Gf or watching on tellu

Anywhoo maybe next time you might do better but I won't hold my breath. Like the Swans GF record of late, yours is pretty much the same. Except this year you've put done yourself.

I know, I know, I know it's just an act for a few mins but I really think Five million is a very high amount of cash. You could use all that to have one round of free footy. Yep, a round in the middle of the year where footy fans could take themselves and their kids to the footy for free.

Now that would be inclusive. And perhaps with 500,000 leftover for an oz performance on gf day instead. This final act not necessarily about the scratch but rather the talent. Seriously what the heck were they thinking. Biggest studf up by far. I mean just so many footy fans are KP fans.

Not.

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

21 hours ago, bush demon said:

I wouldn't be going too hard against Swans, they just peaked too early. It's a bit like the Melbourne cup. Swans gave their supporters a lot to cheer about during the season. They were actually very lucky to get past GWS, virtue of some last minute heroics. We should worry about our poor ladder position.

Fair call.

All sets of non Sydney supporters have bagged out Sydney since Saturday arvo. But in reality there's a lot of backyards that need to be looked at including out own.

Sydney have the talent and skillset to easily get back to prelim final weekend and beyond. However they continually fail at the last step and that's Longmire's responsibility to work out why.

3 hours ago, leave it to deever said:

I know, I know, I know it's just an act for a few mins but I really think Five million is a very high amount of cash. You could use all that to have one round of free footy. Yep, a round in the middle of the year where footy fans could take themselves and their kids to the footy for free.

Now that would be inclusive. And perhaps with 500,000 leftover for an oz performance on gf day instead. This final act not necessarily about the scratch but rather the talent. Seriously what the heck were they thinking. Biggest studf up by far. I mean just so many footy fans are KP fans.

I agree with these two points.

I’m not going to go slinging mud at Katy Perry as, like any of us, who wouldn’t jump at that sort of a payday, and even though her music doesn’t appeal to me, she can sing and she undoubtedly does have talent.

However, I think the $5m could be much better spent, and a free round is a great idea… alternatively, make GF tickets a little more affordable so that the average person doesn’t have to fork out excessive dollars in order to get a seat.

I do not agree with the idea that having an international act with a high profile is going to  help ‘break’ the game overseas, as I honestly cannot see it ever becoming a dominant sport anywhere but here.  Maybe it rakes in a few more dollars in advertising revenue, I don’t know, but is that enough to make it a worthwhile investment(?).

I’d love to see some local talent given a go, but not the usual dinosaurs that they push… as much as I might like some of them, we don’t need to keep dragging out artists from yesteryear (Mark Seymour, Tina Arena, etc etc). Get fresh young local talent that could do with some exposure. It would cost next to nothing compared to what they’re forking out for imported artists, and it wouldn’t affect attendance as a GF is going to be a sell out crowd regardless of the entertainment.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hardtack said:

I agree with these two points.

I’m not going to go slinging mud at Katy Perry as, like any of us, who wouldn’t jump at that sort of a payday, and even though her music doesn’t appeal to me, she can sing and she undoubtedly does have talent.

However, I think the $5m could be much better spent, and a free round is a great idea… alternatively, make GF tickets a little more affordable so that the average person doesn’t have to fork out excessive dollars in order to get a seat.

I do not agree with the idea that having an international act with a high profile is going to  help ‘break’ the game overseas, as I honestly cannot see it ever becoming a dominant sport anywhere but here.  Maybe it rakes in a few more dollars in advertising revenue, I don’t know, but is that enough to make it a worthwhile investment(?).

I’d love to see some local talent given a go, but not the usual dinosaurs that they push… as much as I might like some of them, we don’t need to keep dragging out artists from yesteryear (Mark Seymour, Tina Arena, etc etc). Get fresh young local talent that could do with some exposure. It would cost next to nothing compared to what they’re forking out for imported artists, and it wouldn’t affect attendance as a GF is going to be a sell out crowd regardless of the entertainment.

Good post HT

I'll have to agree to disagree re the talent issue. As far as I'm concerned she may have a reasonable voice despite what I hear as a limited range but it's hard to ascertain where talent ends and auto tune begins.. The issue for me is the songwriting ability. Many people with the aid of a modern keyboard and music technology (which has gone leaps and bounds in the last decade) could turn out stuff like hers. In fact Ai will far surpass her.

But I guess that's true for a lot of acts these days and despite my objections the same for performers of yesteryear. Although I sometimes wonder if it's getting worse. I mean where are the songs like Rafferty's Baker Street or Queens Bohemian Rhapsody?

I guess the rest is just a matter of taste.

We are probably both fans of H and C but it's true that some variety makes things spicy.

But spot on about reducing the cost of Grand final tix. They are way too expensive. And when you have two istate contenders, it's a heap lot more with flights and accommodation. With the good old airlines jacking up their prices bang on time, I imagine a family of four would be set back possibly close to 3 or 4 grand. Would that be accurate?

A mate of my daughter paid six hundred for a tix. I think that may have been from a scalper. I know some fights were seven hundred from Brisbane.

That five million would help put a dent into some of that. 

But yea there are some creative ways to spend that five mill for sure. A free round, I think is great as it might be a good way to encourage those who don't follow this magnificent code to go to a game and presto their hooked.

Another thought would be is to have competitions each round for the average punter. Like selected people from the crowd to kick the longest , handball comps etc...like the basketball challenge.

But the point being is Five million is a lot of dosh . A lot for five mins of pop . I guess that's why it's called pop. 

I'm closer to the end of this existential rollercoaster than the starting line so I'm not the best one to consult as to the best entertainment. But I'm sure amongst footy fans... especially the ones who have memberships, if a poll was done, KP wouldn't be close to the top by a long way.

So it's both $ and relevance for me. 

It's not the first time either. As mentioned re my age it means I'm a huge fan of Mr Loaf ( rest his incredibly gifted soul) and Kiss. But it goes both ways. There would be a lot of footy aficionados that are not fans of these acts. And yea you can't please everyone but this time I really think it was a case of hardly pleasing anyone .

Not really into Robbie Williams but he was probably the closest the AFL have done it pleasing the most. So credit paid when due.

And spot on about repeating the same acts. Except of course for Mike Brady who has the biggest superannuation policy with those two songs he has. I don't tire of those for some reason. They are up there with the National Anthem and have a wonderful nostalgic feel about them.

But there are people much better qualified than me and even more so than the AFL to organise this. 

I guess at the core of it all is frustration at not just the money which has in this expensive day and age probably excluded quite a few hardcore fans from actually going to not just  the granny but also a normal game.

Tbh I think a lot of my ire is in the apparent need to have to book an overseas act in the first instance. It smacks a lot of insecurity and culture lacking. I mean don't we have enough oseas influence on television. In particular American television?

The one area where this country punches well above its weight class is MUSIC. So it's really irritating when we look past all of OZ musicians. I really do believe the AFL feel that an American name helps promote the game. Or in some twisted logic tries to say " hey look at us...we are important ."

And it's just not true. I dare say not a single person in Oz or the USA would now be regular footy fan because KP turned up. 

Surely we are grown up as a nation to back local acts. 

Anyway, I've had a good rant here. Despite the free round idea, maybe some wizz kids here can suggest some inventive ways that five mill could be used to promote the game and or help the real supporters afford to go to more games. And maybe the powers to be could do a proper survey of members desired music tastes next year and book an act that pleases more than this one most likely did.

Cheers.

Edited by leave it to deever
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, binman said:

A mistake that got barely any criticism.

The coverage was all boys will be boys vibe - which as much as anything probably speaks to a societal acceptance of alcohol misuse (the number one cause of ER visits by a country mile).

Mills' stupidity ptetty wiped out his entire season. Was basically their only significant injury they had.

Great leadership right there.

@Binman did Mills run over your cat? Without doubt stupidity and alcohol involved, but he hardly strikes me as a recidivist. Not sure anyone has an inside line on what happend exactly,  but wrestling going wrong with or without alcohol not exactly unprecedented and can also involve bad luck. I'm not sure we need to make Mills the poster boy for bad behaviour on the grog, DeGoey does a much better job. 

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, binman said:

A mistake that got barely any criticism.

The coverage was all boys will be boys vibe - which as much as anything probably speaks to a societal acceptance of alcohol misuse (the number one cause of ER visits by a country mile).

Mills' stupidity ptetty wiped out his entire season. Was basically their only significant injury they had.

Great leadership right there.

Tracc wiped out a season mucking around with his mates trying to dunk a basketball and did his ACL.

just sayin....

• Facepalm 1

On 30/09/2024 at 13:34, titan_uranus said:

4-7.

They were 1-6 until Round 6 this year.

What's with the pile on. I was originally referring to the issue of playing on the G and how some postulate the G doesn't suit the swans. And yet the Gabba and scg are just about identical dimension wise. And lions coped ok in recent times.

Selective meaningless stat's are irrelevant.

1-6. Hang on. Now they're Premiers