AFLW: Rd 03 vs North Melbourne

WERRIDEE

Spotted in the crowd: Todd Viney, doing the right thing by sporting a grandchild wearing dad's jumper.

And another with historic divided loyalties: Shaun Smith.

And, no, I didn't ask...

2 minutes ago, Brownie said:

Wow the inconsistency of htb and incorrect disposal at both ends is just mind numbing.

North players just flopping on the ball in our f50 for a ball up every time.

and the tackle without the ball not being penalised at all

• Like 1

On 13/09/2024 at 19:34, spirit of norm smith said:

Lost Birch, Gay, West, Sherriff in trades out.
Went young in the draft.  
With
 Purcell, Aimee Mackin, Harris and Pearce out it's going to be a tough ask to “compete this year”.  That’s 9 out of the best 21 team from 2023.  

Checked this team v team played in last years finals. They having lost 8 players from last years finals team.  It shows now !!!! 

Edited by spirit of norm smith
Y
  • Like 1

Don't think we're finals bound this year.

In a an even, fair comp we'd probably at least sneak in but it's not the AFL way.

A couple of retirements at year end.

A couple of key players back from injury and hopefully some good recruits.

We'll hopefully receive a "second division" fixture with a more balanced run at it.

Hope we punch back this quarter.

Macca has probably been our best. She never gives up. Her second efforts are wonderful 

• Like 2

Those of you more perceptive than me: what is there to hang our hat on for improvement (from a pretty ordinary base, it seems...) for the rest of the season?

So different from the Season 8 H&A performances.

Stinear’s tactics are mystifying to me. We’ve lost a heap of experience and class so we play a loose, run and gun, risky inside kick attacking style of play with little focus on our contest and defence. Especially given our skills are not up to it. Bizarre.
As a result when we lose, we lose huge in a comp that will come down to percentage. He’s lost the plot.

Edited by deejammin'
  • Like 3

A chastening. North far the better team. And look the team to beat this year.

skills, decision making not up to par. we kept trying though

we were in a rebuild phase before we lost Tayla, Pearce and Purcell. Finals would be a bonus but looking unlikely based on the last 2 weeks

3 minutes ago, deejammin' said:

Stinear’s tactics are mystifying to me. We’ve lost a heap of experience and class so we play a loose, run and gun, risky inside kick attacking style of play with little focus on our contest and defence. Especially given our skills are not up to it. Bizarre.
As a result when we lose, we lose huge in a comp that will come down to percentage. He’s lost the plot.

Exactly. How many times did we turn it over kicking back into the corridor? Why no Paxman in the middle instead of Mithen who has no strength? The game has changed Mick. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Unfortunately the game appears to becoming more one of strength rather than open skilful ball movement. You could see that in the finals last year where even with a "full team" we were bustled off the ball.

A great pity as our style was delightful to watch

We're really missing Hanks at her best too.

She was devasting through the guts when she was firing but has really dropped off in the last 12 months.

Zanker isn't using her strength and agro as well as she could either.

Bannons off the boil too.

With this young team, we need our leaders firing and there's a few who are just not in form at all.

I love Mick as a coach, but I think it's a combination of factors that's just pushing us down the ladder at the moment.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, deejammin' said:

All I say is DITTO !!! 

• Like 1

Its been apparent for the last three years, even when we one the flag, that other teams are too big and strong. Crows, Lions, Roos are all big across the ground. There is no doubting the courage or determination of our players but they are constantly battling against far stronger opponents in the midfield. Purcell is a massive loss. Notice that Hanks, McNamara, Mithen and other tiny players are being expected to to win midfield contests. As skilful as they are, they get pummelled every week. I am in awe of their courage but it's going to wear them down. They also much less effective than they were in previous years because they are being expected to play the role that Purcell, Paxy and Daisy played previously.

We threw Zanker into the middle a few years ago just to add some grunt. As it is, the ball isn't getting down to her in the forward line. I think Bannan is also wasted up forward. She is way more effective with her speed on the outside. Expecting her to develop as a tall forward is denying her the real weapon she has, which is speed on the outside. She is not heavy enough to be a tall contested marking option.

ATM Kate Hore, our best player, is being asked to plug holes everywhere and other teams are working this out. Stop Her and you stop the Dees.

Goldrick has been awesome but again she is punching way above her weight.

I love Mackin and the way she has developed her kicking over the three seasons. It was very hit & miss but now she's kicking very smartly. 

Our recruiting team need to draft for SIZE and footy smarts. I know that's a statement of the obvious and is easier said than done. I agree that Mick's plan can look wonderful against a less powerful opponent but most of the other teams have gone past us now.

Against North we fought tooth and nail and I am in awe of the courage and spirit displayed, but they are just TOO SMALL over the whole line up.

PS I like the look of Pisano's footy smarts

• Like 7

As others have noted size has won over speed and skill int he AFLW at the moment. The dominate side have big players.

(Which really contrasts to what's happening in women development teams in WA, where speed is the more important attribute) 

We have lost too many to trade and injury to compete with the top sides this year.  We'll do okay from here on out as the first 3 were taught as we are still in the "top" division of teams, despite our changes over the summer.

This year is to rebuild and adapt the game plan for the new players.

2 hours ago, george_on_the_outer said:

Exactly. How many times did we turn it over kicking back into the corridor? Why no Paxman in the middle instead of Mithen who has no strength? The game has changed Mick. 

Definitely bit off more than we could chew a lot in the second and third, don’t have the skills to be trying to hit 30m kicks into the corridor so no idea why they kept trying it. 

Paxy has the strength but I don’t think they have the speed anymore to get their hands on it in the middle, gets left behind a fair bit. 

I still think we can make the finals. Freo are beatable if we can't beat Freo then we are in trouble. We don't have enough good players Hore has been quiet the last 2 weeks but is easily our best player. Mackin and McNamara are good wingman, Gillard is a gun. Goldrick and Heath try but the rest have to have a good hard look at themselves.

Purcell injury hurts we have no depth in the midfield. Pearce is one of the premier ruckman in the league huge loss and Harris is a big body that we are missing.

Hanks last 2 years have been ordinary. Bannan and Zanker are so frustrating so much talent but when they are off they are really off. Fitzsimon is not up to AFW standard and so is Mithen so overrated I'd trade her does nothing week in week out.

Stinear needs to go to the house of mirrors. He had to now show some strategy.   We had depth.  We had cover for injuries.  Guess what? Trade out 4 of your best 20 then lose 4 key players to injury and you’re cooked.  Others have improved.  AFLW Dees are going backwards.  They are being outbodied at the contest and their skills today were woeful.💔💔💔

Edited by spirit of norm smith
G