Garry Lyon brilliant!

One thing i would say is i really don't see the issue in Alister Clarkson naming Jack Viney, he was very complimentary, i am sure Jack wasn't offended by being considered a culture shaping leader by a 4 time premiership coach. 

by this stage of the year clubs know players are coming and going long before the media do. 

• Like 3
  • Thinking 1
  • Sad 1

Didn't think it was amazing, but I did take away some insights - albeit with a fair bit of 'reading between the lines'.

His defence, and insinuation, about Viney not going anywhere and that there's news incoming was very firm. Garry seemed very sure of that, and I know there's been talk here about an incoming extension. Great to hear.

However, he did seem to take a different tact on Petracca that was more along the 'well you're contracted so we're keeping you' angle. That to me does feel like he knows there's significant issues there and he's hinting either to the club, or that the club will, keep him to his contract despite his wishes should he be wanting out. The Tasmanian trade ultimatum, while a little silly, was another indication of him urging the club to take a very hard line.

Despite the positivity of yesterday, it does seem there's still a lot of work to be done in the Petracca space.

Edited by FreedFromDesire
  • Like 1
  • Clap 1

1 minute ago, Ted Lasso said:

One thing i would say is i really don't see the issue in Alister Clarkson naming Jack Viney, he was very complimentary, i am sure Jack wasn't offended by being considered a culture shaping leader by a 4 time premiership coach. 

by this stage of the year clubs know players are coming and going long before the media do. 

I think the issue is that Clarkson, in a press conference, said he wouldn't talk about contracted players from other teams, then the very next day he listed off half a dozen contracted players from other teams that they would like to bring in.

Generally it's an unspoken rule in clubland you don't specifically talk about contracted players. Sure, if you want to break new ground then that's up to you, but it's exceptionally hypocritical to break your own word within a day.

• Thanks 1

My wife, who is not into footy at all - she's too busy publishing novels - has walked past my cloister where I trype stories and watch footy when Melbourne is winning - I have followed the Demons since the losing 1958 Grand Final and experienced way too much pain first hand to watch another battering - and once heard someone exaggerate the name Petracca: it became Petraaaaaaacka and she now mumbles it every time she sees me watching footy.

To be honest, all this hoo ha about a player who was nearly mortally wounded by yet another E Coli Wobbler atrocity - I would like to see some justice in the Season Finale, yes, E Coli Wibbler Blood - and I am totally fed up with the hornets nest Morris has stained the stratosphere with. He is a yarn spinner who would only get a kick on a real footy field if someone kicked his backside. Suddenly the Demonland World erupts into more spin on how Goodwin is no good, the whole club is no good, then the inevitable Schache, Billings, Grundy, Macadam, Draft pick fiasco, Stafford, Recruiting Officer Whinge Fest erupts. Yes, this is the best example in Lilliputia, I mean Australia, where the theory of 'Society of the Spectacle' - and he ain't writing about framed things called Glasses - by Guy Debord is manifest. 

I finish with a quote from my wife, the much-published writer: 

Petraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaca!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 3

This whole issue can be sorted 

Get in the room and thrash it all out, total honesty from all sides. A lot of this stems from last year, although not all of it 

Get in the room and eye ball each other

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

4 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

This whole issue can be sorted 

Get in the room and thrash it all out, total honesty from all sides. A lot of this stems from last year, although not all of it 

Get in the room and eye ball each other

This is what happened yesterdy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I watched On The Couch this morning and was also pleasantly surprised by Gaz’s show of concern and love for MFC, I can see why it rattled a few on here. I noticed that Bucks and Brownie looked happy to see him go on the charge regarding Tracc and Jack. If there was ever a more pertinent time for Gaz to stand up for his club it was now and stand up he did. He offered some sage advice to the club to get around Christian and thrash it out and make it work and then offered the observation that Jack Viney is Red and Blue from the top of his head to the tips of his toes and that he will be staying. So I hope that the club hear him as he is sending a strong clear message and at the same time trying to straighten up the ship so that we can look forward to a much better and united 2025. Thanks Garry Lyon.❤️💙

• Like 3
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

I must have watched something different..

There was nothing brilliant or inspiring what Garry said.

He went a bit silly and nuffy with the whole keep him for 3 years then trade him to Tassie.. seriously?

He'll be 32 by then and there is absolutely no way any club would be giving up first round picks for anyone at that age.

I'm a Garry fan but that wasn't his finest nor is this thread either 

Did you see Buckley's face when he started c**ping on about Tassie?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Monbon said:

My wife, who is not into footy at all - she's too busy publishing novels - has walked past my cloister where I trype stories and watch footy when Melbourne is winning - I have followed the Demons since the losing 1958 Grand Final and experienced way too much pain first hand to watch another battering - and once heard someone exaggerate the name Petracca: it became Petraaaaaaacka and she now mumbles it every time she sees me watching footy.

To be honest, all this hoo ha about a player who was nearly mortally wounded by yet another E Coli Wobbler atrocity - I would like to see some justice in the Season Finale, yes, E Coli Wibbler Blood - and I am totally fed up with the hornets nest Morris has stained the stratosphere with. He is a yarn spinner who would only get a kick on a real footy field if someone kicked his backside. Suddenly the Demonland World erupts into more spin on how Goodwin is no good, the whole club is no good, then the inevitable Schache, Billings, Grundy, Macadam, Draft pick fiasco, Stafford, Recruiting Officer Whinge Fest erupts. Yes, this is the best example in Lilliputia, I mean Australia, where the theory of 'Society of the Spectacle' - and he ain't writing about framed things called Glasses - by Guy Debord is manifest. 

I finish with a quote from my wife, the much-published writer: 

Petraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaca!

Demonland is a wild pastiche of Melrose Place, Downtown Abbey and I'm a Celebrity - Get Me Out of Here. Your wife couldn't make half this chite up @Monbon.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Queanbeyan Demon said:
  • There have been some great speeches over the journey. “The Sermon on the Mount” by Jesus Christ (c. 30 AD), “The Citizen of the World Speech” by Socrates (399 BC), “The Quit India Speech” by Mahatma Gandhi (1942) are no doubt in the top 10.
  •  
  • Know where I can get a transcript of the sermon on the mount speech? - I'm sure there's a few versions out there.
  •  

• Haha 1

On 20/08/2024 at 12:05, DeeZone said:

I watched On The Couch this morning and was also pleasantly surprised by Gaz’s show of concern and love for MFC, I can see why it rattled a few on here. I noticed that Bucks and Brownie looked happy to see him go on the charge regarding Tracc and Jack. If there was ever a more pertinent time for Gaz to stand up for his club it was now and stand up he did. He offered some sage advice to the club to get around Christian and thrash it out and make it work and then offered the observation that Jack Viney is Red and Blue from the top of his head to the tips of his toes and that he will be staying. So I hope that the club hear him as he is sending a strong clear message and at the same time trying to straighten up the ship so that we can look forward to a much better and united 2025. Thanks Garry Lyon.❤️💙

Yep, Give Lyon a little bit (lot) more credit than the 'intellectually absent" he has to work with. 

That said i'm sort of pleased about the dissatisfaction of how and why we are out of the eight.

Loss of players. Draw from hell. Fair bit of quid pro quo. etc

• Thanks 1

On 20/08/2024 at 09:19, Jjrogan said:

Slight aside but the most exciting comment from last nights show was the tid bit that Oliver may be going overseas for a high performance training camp this off season. Clearly determined to get back to his best.

The whole club should be going 

On 20/08/2024 at 10:26, Ted Lasso said:

I think the timing was also very poor. Everyone allready getting the boots into Melbourne about Clarry, then Trac.  The Todd at North angle also probably also added credibility and made it even more of a story.  I'd be filthy on Clarko if I were Todd, even though maybe it might have resulted in a few more $K being thrown Jack's way just to be sure and perhaps get the deal done quicker.

Love Gary's defence of our club.  I'll take Gary Lyon over David Schwartz post retirement any day.  David is always banging on in his criticism of our club, even though from what I gather of his influence on club culture was probably a contributor to us never snagging one in that era when we had so much talent.  So glad it was Gary got to hand over the cup to Gawn and Goodwin.  I think he walks the line between objective media outsider, club great and passionate supporter pretty well really.

• Like 2

The other thing that riles me so much about this whole Trac injury saga is how Scott free Darcey Moore and the AFL have got off on this.

Protecting the head is well understood and is know a given, but we've now seen several players seriously injured through knees driven wrecklessly into others with careless abandon.  It's not a football action and it should be outlawed, just the same as sling takles and head high bumps.  If you carelessly throw your body parts at another player that could be reasonably foreseen it could cause injury - suspension, easy.  Chol on Steven May was similar.

Trac's mum needs to go and tell Moore's mum, that if he ever does that to her son again, she's going to deck him.

Edited by Rodney (Balls) Grinter
  • Like 1