POSTGAME: Rd 19 vs Fremantle

Is it just me or is the team giving a bit of a 1967 year vibe about it. Three years after the 64 flag we still had some premiership hero’s and some young talent. Ruck stocks were on par with the weekends team - obviously Gawn missing. However I see Gawn as game to game. One more knee injury and he retires. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

I saw the game (live) and I agree with Kev. But had I not seen it I’d still agree with Kev. The misery and abject hopelessness and despair is suffocating. We lost a game of footy today. We won the previous three, we may win the next three. And just as the venters are entitled to vent, so too are the folks who find the venting stifling and uber-negative and an overwhelming drain.

Everyone/entitled/opinion etc.

PS you’ve yet to show me where I potted Tom Fullarton. You accused me of such, remember? So… show me. 

1 .  Fullarton :- As I said at the time, it was my recollection and I stand by it. I  also said I couldn’t be bothered spending more time than necessary sitting at a computer than necessary, however  if you want to make an issue of it I’ll go back and find your post. I’ll get back to you.

2.  To me it’s bewildering how people can claim to have an informed opinion on a game when they didn’t see it , the game that is,  so agree with Kev all you like. It appears you just want to take the other side on this one.

3.  Re: your dislike of the negativity expressed be people on this forum ( their opinions ) , not all of us are Cheerleaders, some are just loyal supporters who are realists and seek to analyse performance.  
So I’m intrigued on your thoughts as to when, or if at all, it is acceptable to you for people to express any negativity. Perhaps after the thrashings of the first two rounds of 2008, the Neeld years in general, the Kardinia park 186 , maybe VFL park v Fitzroy 238 to 48 ,1979, I sat through that one, or this year in Alice Springs ?    What’s the cut off ? Any thing over a 80 point loss ?

4. If it’s “suffocating” to you, perhaps just stop reading a post if once it gets negative  and it becomes too much for you.  

5. FYI,  I have made NO comment about the Team’s performance yesterday.

• Like 3
  • Clap 2

1 hour ago, Abyssal said:

To me it’s bewildering how people can claim to have an informed opinion on a game when they didn’t see it , the game that is,  so agree with Kev all you like. It appears you just want to take the other side on this one.

I listened to the game. I was "informed" by professionals who call the game.

I have opinions from that broadcast.

Often people get the same input only to have differing interpretations. 

Dismiss me, but that is from your prejudice and not reality.

You are pandering to the spectators who are doubters and fair weather supporters.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, forever demons said:

please explain

One for the earlier Demonlanders

John Northey didn't always have the best players, but the team was hard as hard as can be

Despite a loss, oppo teams felt the contest

• Like 3
  • Love 2

7 hours ago, Jaded No More said:

Do you know the nature of the injury?

I don’t. I ran into one of our admin staff members who I know (events and GameDay activations) and he had just come from the rooms and told me Kolt was subbed off because of injury. We were both in a huge hurry so that’s the extent of the conversation. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Abyssal said:

1 .  Fullarton :- As I said at the time, it was my recollection and I stand by it. I  also said I couldn’t be bothered spending more time than necessary sitting at a computer than necessary, however  if you want to make an issue of it I’ll go back and find your post. I’ll get back to you.

Dude you brought this up in the first place, now I’m making an issue of it????

Yes, find my post and I’ll wait patiently.

13 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

The misery and abject hopelessness and despair is suffocating. We lost a game of footy today. We won the previous three, we may win the next three. And just as the venters are entitled to vent, so too are the folks who find the venting stifling and uber-negative and an overwhelming drain.

Everyone/entitled/opinion etc.

PS you’ve yet to show me where I potted Tom Fullarton. You accused me of such, remember? So… show me. 

Don't really want to interject with your little spat but a correction is warranted

We won two in a row, not three which is the first time since round 7 and 8 that we had won two in a row. wacky doo

It's round 20 and you're entitled to view the season with Pollyanna glasses but too many of us have seen this movie before.  It's 5 minutes to midnight and our season is being blown away

• Like 1
  • Clap 3

Last week we gambled on selection and had a win... this week we also rolled the dice and lost. 

I think to walk (or fly) away from these last two games with 4 points given the loss of Petracca and Gawn is not a bad result. 

A few observations... 

a. It is foolish in  hindsight to go into the season with no recognised back up ruck. We have bought in a couple of NQR talls/forward/rucks (?) that we wanted to develop and that has not worked out. Bad list management or bad luck?

b. I would still like to have seen one of the talls given a run on Sunday so that we could have a look at them in context. 

c. With Brayshaw's medical retirement, Oliver's lack of a pre-season and Petracca's long term injury our midfield is very underpowered and badly structured. It looked like we did not do any research into the setup of Fremantle's mids at the bounce or stoppages. 

d. Given the lack of midfield cohesion and structure I find it difficult to be critical of either our Defence or Attack on Sunday. With no defensive pressure between the arcs from boundary to boundary, it was impossible for the defence to hold up. Similar for the forwards. No attacking structure through the middle gives the forwards, no clue as to where to lead or where the ball is going to arrive.

e. One other observation. Our defensive team lead by May and Lever is still one of the best in the game not only during the game but also off field in driving the standards and culture of the club. Some of this might be down to Troy Chaplin, I am not certain to what degree. One thing I do find interesting is the way the players from the defence are finding their feet in other roles within the team. Petty and Turner in the forwards, Rivers and Salem as mid rotations. This development of role flexibility  is critical to our future success and I hope that it continues.

I am at an age where I have a hell of a lot more long and winding road behind me than open road in front. When I survey my journey as a MFC supporter over the years a couple of things stand out. Win the midfield and you win the game. Players that play with imagination and a smile are always my favorites.

Anyway.... onward and upward to the next game.

• Like 4
  • Love 2
  • Clap 1

2 hours ago, jumbo returns said:

John Northey didn't always have the best players, but the team was hard as hard as can be

Most games yes. 
We often put in a 3rd Quarter Burst (3-4 goals) and then hung on to win a Close one. 
During those years there was also a 4-5 week slump that meant we were fighting to make Finals. 
But yes overall Northey got the best out of his list 

I always thought we were one forward short through those years. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Most games yes. 
We often put in a 3rd Quarter Burst (3-4 goals) and then hung on to win a Close one. 
During those years there was also a 4-5 week slump that meant we were fighting to make Finals. 

Absolutely - but, they had a crack and hurt, I mean really, really hurt the oppo. You remember those physical days, don’t you, SWYL? Teams were s*it scared to face the Dees 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Most games yes. 

When it comes to Swooper, I only have one thing to say . . . Beeeeeeeeeeeeneeeeeeeeeeeett

Edited by Queanbeyan Demon

9 hours ago, Winners at last said:

Hmm ... not sure if you meant Rounds 16/17/18 ... or earlier rounds in the season. In any event, we won v Essendon and WC in Rounds 17 & 18, but lost v Brisbane in Round 16. 

I feel for you and others who made the effort and expense of the trip to WA to watch what apparently a pretty one sided match. As Americans say to their vets "thank you for your service". 

It's kinda amusing to read posts on here post bad losses. It's a battle between the Negative Nancies and the Pollyannas. FWIW I'm somewhere in between. 

Thank you for pointing that out. I stand corrected, I posted while sleep-deprived.

By all means feel for those who put in the effort and expense of making the trip to Optus, but don’t include me. I don’t regret going.

What I do regret is coming onto DL so soon after that loss and subjecting myself to the noxious bile. My stoopid. 🙄 

The problem isn’t the Negative Nancys vs the Pollyannas, as you put it.

It’s the tiny people who need to tear down our players and coaches and anyone else who gets in the way of making them feel bigger and better about themselves.

In particular, beware the failed AFL aspirant, for their bitterness grows with every week that passes as their dream of making the big-time gets smaller and smaller in the rear-view mirror.

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

1 hour ago, CHF said:

Last week we gambled on selection and had a win... this week we also rolled the dice and lost. 

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time”

—  Abe Lincoln

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time”

—  Abe Lincoln

It is not a matter of being pleased or displeased with the selections over the last two weeks. It was just a reflection of the reality of the results. 

Additionally, with regard to team selection, I do not believe that it is possible to please ALL of the people at any time.

1 hour ago, jnrmac said:

Don't really want to interject with your little spat but a correction is warranted

We won two in a row, not three which is the first time since round 7 and 8 that we had won two in a row. wacky doo

It's round 20 and you're entitled to view the season with Pollyanna glasses but too many of us have seen this movie before.  It's 5 minutes to midnight and our season is being blown away

Firstly, I’ve already been corrected, only in a much nicer way by @Winners at last. And unlike many on here, I thanked him for pointing out my mistake and explained the reason for such, (namely I hadn’t slept for 30+ hours).

Secondly, I’ve barracked for Melbourne since I arrived in Australia as a 7yo, so I’ve also “seen this movie” too.

And finally, save your sarcasm for people who don’t support our team because god knows there’s more than enough of them out there. 

37 minutes ago, jumbo returns said:

Absolutely - but, they had a crack and hurt, I mean really, really hurt the oppo. You remember those physical days, don’t you, SWYL? Teams were s*it scared to face the Dees 

Oh yes it was a very Tough era, no Doubt. 
it was a time when the elbow and the Hip and Shoulder were still used regularly as legitimate parts of the game. 
i do remember speaking to Demott Brereton in Elwood one afternoon, he told me that the 1990 Elimination Final was one of the Toughest finals match he played in. We played them in consecutive weeks and beat them both times. Brutal Footy

• Love 1

On 21/07/2024 at 18:01, DeeZee said:

I’m sorry to those that rate him but Sparrow is just a nothing player

I suspect he looked a lot better in a team of jets in career best form. 

20 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Oh yes it was a very Tough era, no Doubt. 
it was a time when the elbow and the Hip and Shoulder were still used regularly as legitimate parts of the game. 
i do remember speaking to Demott Brereton in Elwood one afternoon, he told me that the 1990 Elimination Final was one of the Toughest finals match he played in. We played them in consecutive weeks and beat them both times. Brutal Footy

TC nullified Dunstall 2 weeks in a row - great game 

12 minutes ago, jumbo returns said:

TC nullified Dunstall 2 weeks in a row - great game 

A very good Player was TC, i think he lost his position to Danny Hughes. 
Was always sad to see him play for Footscray….

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, Gawndy the Great said:

Good observations. Our structure was definitely not right. Is it the result of our list status, missing Gawn or just poor coaching? This stuff isnt execution - well maybe not entirely. 

What I don't get is the Clint Eastwood mantra "know your limitations" is applied to Fullerton but nobody else or the team structure, particularly defence when we are down in few key areas. We knew we had no ruck, light-on in mids dept and were likely to get touched up again here just like in Alice .. unless we did something differently.  Clearly the Defence needed to play more man on man but unfortunately reverted to the Darcy Moore million dollar gambler style. The easy goals out the back where unacceptable ffs with the quality of May and Lever... if they had stuck on their men. Stack the backline and play a different structure next time with Freo or similar teams who will out muscle in the center or when we loose momentum. Even matthew lloyd could see this, so why can't see the coaching panel see it? We can't play like rockstars when we haven't got the engine. 

I hope we learn now from the same mistake (x2) and stopping playing like Darcy Moore...in D when we are not winning the ball. Can't we just clog the game up?

14 hours ago, jumbo returns said:

so true. I was shocked when John got the flick

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, forever demons said:

so true. I was shocked when John got the flick

The Northey teams had mainly 'no names' ... Jamie Duursma, Dean Chiron, Doug Koop to name a few.

No disrespect to them; those guys (and the others) had a RHG and I loved watching them. 

Edited by Winners at last
  • Love 2