POSTGAME: Rd 19 vs Fremantle

1 hour ago, loges said:

It takes effort to contest and tackle, it wasn't there.

We were +18 in tackles and -36 in contested possession. Not great but not what I would call a lack of effort. We got beaten by a better side, in better form.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, whatwhat say what said:

those statistical drops for positive lingers are extraordinary

his best is still very good, but i guess he's just doing it less frequently?

His early season games were poor, he's really hit some form the last 5 or 6 weeks though since being put back on the wing FT. Earlier in the year he was being played across half forward and went missing for long stretches.

3 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

We were +18 in tackles and -36 in contested possession. Not great but not what I would call a lack of effort. We got beaten by a better side, in better form.

If we're up 18 in tackles could only be because we were second to the ball

3 minutes ago, loges said:

If we're up 18 in tackles could only be because we were second to the ball

But we we were still tackling, which requires effort. We were second to the ball because their two A grade ruckman were giving their mids silver service against our three pinch-hitters.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, OhMyDees said:

Can’t judge this side from 2021. 

2021 was a long time ago.

We just aren’t as good as we thought we were.

That's the issue though.

A lot of red and blue nuffies on here still think this gives us credits in the bank, it simply doesn't. 

A lot has changed since then and people can't continue to use this excuse as a get out clause.

• Like 3
  • Clap 2

Listen to Goodwin presser he said we don’t have anyone who can win the ruck & Fullerton is not up to the standard so Gawn is our only ruck!  Unbelievable from 2022 we have lost Jackson & Grundy in 2023! Conceded having Gawn the way our mids performed wouldn’t have made a difference…

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Demonsone said:

Listen to Goodwin presser he said we don’t have anyone who can win the ruck & Fullerton is not up to the standard so Gawn is our only ruck!  Unbelievable from 2022 we have lost Jackson & Grundy in 2023! Conceded having Gawn the way our mids performed wouldn’t have made a difference…

Bit of a mixed message from Simon…we lost hitouts and centre clearance..having Gawn would have made some difference..not withstanding that Freos score source was mostly from defensive half. We lacked foreard connection, because we had no targets, as each was rucking against 2 ruckmen. The system was all out of whack! I still thought the effort was there 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Kick_It_To_Pickett said:

Bit of a mixed message from Simon…we lost hitouts and centre clearance..having Gawn would have made some difference..not withstanding that Freos score source was mostly from defensive half. We lacked foreard connection, because we had no targets, as each was rucking against 2 ruckmen. The system was all out of whack! I still thought the effort was there 

It’s an even competition but based on our form at best only making up the numbers if we make the 8

45 minutes ago, DiscoStu17 said:

They seem less likely to use Lingers in a major attacking role since the hawks tagged him to great effect 2 years ago. 
Most of the time he is used negatively or as the +1 at the contest, so doubtful if he gets much statistical recognition. 

From the half I saw, it looks like we were mauled in post clearance possession as we were always 2nd to the party. Freo could make up any zone on the fly and run receivers through it, or run out to space.

Can’t midfielders tell where the ball is going from the hand/arm of the ruck anymore? You don’t need to stand next to someone else and be reactive to them - you can stand 10m away, even on the opposite side of the contest. As long as you can read the tap and reach the contest zone at speed. 

Yeah he was just not given any respect in 2021. Just boot it out to his wing and most of the time he’d be there in a paddock of space. 

Yeah today was just a smacking. We looked a half move behind them every time and they were just set up so much better. They got it out at will and was almost like JL knew what all our centre bounce set ups were going to be. 

Out coached in the middle completely and the numbers reflect that.

• Like 1

Pretty well belted across the park. Have to expect down weeks when you run a team this young and with so many holes, but dispiriting to see the effort in the first q just wasn't there. Need to see way more from a few regular players when their teammates are so young - Sparrow, Chandler, Bowey the main culprits.

The gamble to run an extra KPF as ruck makes sense, given how poor or underdone the alternatives are, but the list management team has stuffed us by not having a 2nd ruck on the list. Look how good JVR has become up forward. He should be rucking 15 minutes a game maximum so we don't lose him up there.

Edited by Pirlo

2 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

And suppressing the negative sends people round the bend. You're really surprised at negative posting after a 50 point loss to a team who beat us by 15 goals about 8 weeks ago??

I get why people vent on here after a loss. I don't get why people want to lecture them for doing so. Life's too short, right?

And the worst thing is Flogmantle are a [censored] team who were beaten by Whorethorn last week. Yet we make them look like premiers! 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

That's the issue though.

A lot of red and blue nuffies on here still think this gives us credits in the bank, it simply doesn't. 

A lot has changed since then and people can't continue to use this excuse as a get out clause.

Which excuse is this? 

Anyone who went in thinking we could win this didn’t take the following into account. 

This team is young. Last week the average age of the team on the field was less than Essendon’s and they’re rebuilding.

We’ve been up for a month in terms of consistency of effort. Thats hard for young players to maintain.

Freo Pumped us in Alice and we had Gawn & Max. 

1 hour ago, Abyssal said:

Too right.

According to said poster, anybody who was disappointed with that performance and expressed same is a “group thinker”.

Fortunately he has also provided us with many, many deep and meaningful life coaching tips, free of charge, to help us overcome that affliction.

25 responses to my attack on the venters, most telling me, to let them be, to move on and not mention the criticism.  Don't go at the crowd.

As for "you" having an affliction, I do it for my own gratification. I want to read a balanced board, not one taken over by hubris. 

Being put down for offering some direction. Typical of the heads in the sand, don't talk about it people. Can't understand the superficial. Life is a deep dive into the amazing. 

• Facepalm 1

27 minutes ago, Pirlo said:

Pretty well belted across the park. Have to expect down weeks when you run a team this young and with so many holes, but dispiriting to see the effort in the first q just wasn't there. Need to see way more from a few regular players when their teammates are so young - Sparrow, Chandler, Bowey the main culprits.

The gamble to run an extra KPF as ruck makes sense, given how poor or underdone the alternatives are, but the list management team has stuffed us by not having a 2nd ruck on the list. Look how good JVR has become up forward. He should be rucking 15 minutes a game maximum so we don't lose him up there.

We should've tried harder to keep Grundy.

• Like 4
  • Clap 1

3 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

He may not have made a 10 goal difference but he would have competed and allowed out mids a chance to win at least some clearances. This would have then allowed our defence to have a breath in between the ball being hammered down their throats and would've given our forwards an opportunity to do something with the footy. We were a chance to be within 3 goals at half time but Kolt got caught holding the ball streaming forward and then Walters kicked a goal on the siren making it a 5 goal difference. Having an actual ruckman competing in the middle may have given us an opportunity.

Problem is Fullarton is not a ruckman. He's just a VFL standard ruckman. In actual fact I'm not sure what he is. Goody's presser was damning . In as many words said Fullarton wasn't up to it ie no ruckman on the list to replace Gawn. Indicated Fullo had a lot to learn. That's being generous.  Unless we get a genuine ruckman with some AFL experience in the off season forget about it. Nick Bryan springs to mind. Gawn is rising 33. Unlike the time with Grundy coaching staff need to be firm with him and insist he has weeks off. Give the likes of Bryan as much exposure as possible ready to take over in the next couple of years. Do nothing and we're doomed. If he's out of favour I'd settle for Two Metre Peter.  Not in form atm but has runs on the board.

26 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

That's the issue though.

21/22/23 highest ratings in the afl on contest defence etc, 24 we have slipped through poor game plan adjustments, poor trades & losing midfield depth, our lack of rucks to cover Gawn … oops we had an AA & walked for a bag of chips to the Swans. 

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

This absolutely sums up what I've been saying for years on Tom Sparrow. Absolute nothing player that supporters are still asking the same old question each week on why on earth is he getting a game based on what exactly?

I don't want to hear that he plays as a defensive midfielder because he simply doesn't, its the biggest myth i have heard on here. He doesn't tag, he doesn't play as a sweeper, nor does he actually defend in transition. 

His season alone this year.

Screenshot_20240721_233821_AFL.thumb.jpg.696d75af9a5add7b5d366d9b8eda0f02.jpg

Screenshot_20240721_233831_AFL.thumb.jpg.410ada317dd411527f194d314fa944b1.jpg

Screenshot_20240721_233730_AFL.jpg

Edited by dazzledavey36
  • Like 4

He may not have made a 10 goal difference but he would have competed and allowed out mids a chance to win at least some clearances. This would have then allowed our defence to have a breath in between the ball being hammered down their throats and would've given our forwards an opportunity to do something with the footy. We were a chance to be within 3 goals at half time but Kolt got caught holding the ball streaming forward and then Walters kicked a goal on the siren making it a 5 goal difference. Having an actual ruckman competing in the middle may have given us an opportunity.

Problem is Fullarton is not a ruckman. He's just a VFL standard ruckman. In actual fact I'm not sure what he is. Goody's presser was damning . In as many words said Fullarton wasn't up to it ie no ruckman on the list to replace Gawn. Indicated Fullo had a lot to learn. That's being generous.  Unless we get a genuine ruckman with some AFL experience in the off season forget about it. Nick Bryan springs to mind. Gawn is rising 33. Unlike the time with Grundy coaching staff need to be firm with him and insist he has weeks off. Give the likes of Bryan as much exposure as possible ready to take over in the next couple of years. Do nothing and we're doomed. If he's out of favour I'd settle for Two Metre Peter.  Not in form atm but has runs on the board.

2 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Success is not overrated. Let’s get that one sorted, the journey to get there can be enjoyed, but please don’t overrate Success 

From my journey through life, the stereotypical success is overrated. Greedy, acquiring, worshipped, you become weighed down and lose joy of the moment. The struggle creates neuroses. Be free of the outcome, or join the stoics, expect the worse hope for the best.  

Success tends to hide that there us something wrong, it doesn't promote self reflection or a reflection on life. I think that is why many in powerful societal roles get out of touch with the experiences of majority of us.

Be childlike, with every experience being a new one, the result becomes irrelevant. 

2 hours ago, Flowergirl said:

Could people stop being mean to Kev? I really like his content and training reports. I prefer his posts to all the ridiculous, self-entitled whinging being posted here. 

We were beaten by a better side today. It was a frustrating watch, but I think we showed way more fight in the third quarter and had a chance to get back in it. They ran over us in the end, but there were more positives than the Alice match. 

So this “better side” was beaten by Hawthorn last week. Are you joking? Their fat tall player and their other useless players were not competed against by our lazy players today. They are a poor team but we can’t be bothered playing hard and beating them. Abysmal effort guys! 

1 hour ago, kev martin said:

From my journey through life, the stereotypical success is overrated. Greedy, acquiring, worshipped, you become weighed down and lose joy of the moment. The struggle creates neuroses. Be free of the outcome, or join the stoics, expect the worse hope for the best.  

Success tends to hide that there us something wrong, it doesn't promote self reflection or a reflection on life. I think that is why many in powerful societal roles get out of touch with the experiences of majority of us.

Be childlike, with every experience being a new one, the result becomes irrelevant. 

Kev, you mentioned you’re overseas. 

Are you in the mountains of Tibet by any chance? 

• Haha 10

Only when we play them Dr.

Other middle rung teams are capable including the Hawks last week and the Doggies by 10 goals five weeks ago.

• Like 1