Oliver Trade Rumours

Clarry faded in the last, but with a full pre season, that's when his gut running sees him dominate and go above 30+ touches.

If Clarry was fully fit this year, I reckon we're top 2.

Provided he has a full pre season, he'll be back to one of the best mids in the game in 2025.

And that's with Trac only playing half a season. 

We have a lot of upside next year and I expect the media to write us off. Just as they did at the end of 2020.

Edited by Binmans PA
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 2
  • Clap 1

46 minutes ago, Demon Disciple said:

love how the “highlight” shows a massive push in the back with the ump only 10m away and does nothing about it.

Another case of Laura Kane coming out and saying “the wrong decision was made” and simply moving on to next week without batting an eyelid.

This game has seriously gone to [censored].

I was up the other end. That is as clear a push as you’ll see.

• Like 4
  • Clap 1

36 minutes ago, Binmans PA said:

Clarry faded in the last, but with a full pre season, that's when his gut running sees him dominate and go above 30+ touches.

Provided he has a full pre season, he'll be back to one of the best mids in the game in 2025.

We have a lot of upside next year and I expect the media to write us off. Just as they did at the end of 2020.

Well before the media writes us off next year, they should take note of this stat, even after the horrible year we have had with unavailable players.

If we scored just 10 more points in total over 3 games, thereby winning them, we would be 2nd today, despite everything.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Thinking 1

1 hour ago, The heart beats true said:

I was up the other end. That is as clear a push as you’ll see.

It’s absolute bs is what it is. And yet the AFL will protect these incompetent fools who don’t deserve to be umpiring u8’s on Sunday mornings. There’s no such thing as accountability in the AFL and it’s why the competition has become so farcical.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

Way too many ‘contests’ like this. Is it physical or mental? 

Stance way too high, no power in the legs, on his wrong side to begin with too I guess (Viney would do better digging in to Green with his left but Oliver would then have to cover Bedford’s speed), then painfully slow to react to the hit out and beat out the front of the stoppage.

Does a preseason fix this or is this an undisciplined player who abandons basic technique and stoppage responsibilities?

It looked to me like it was (unfortunately) a perfect tap from their ruck to Green which nobody could have defended. Oliver was in position to break away himself if Max had won the tap.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Redleg said:

Well before the media writes us off next year, they should take note of this stat, even after the horrible year we have had with unavailable players.

If we scored just 10 more points in total over 3 games, thereby winning them, we would be 2nd today, despite everything.

Yep, exactly. 1 point to the Blues, 5 points to Brisbane and 2 points to GWS.

It's such a game of margins. The difference between Collingwood finishing top last year and finishing outside of the 8 was often a kick or two. They won so many games from behind and by thin margins.

We led for the majority of the Brisbane and GWS games. Both likely top 4 teams, and Carlton could still be a top 4 team too.

Freo had our measure both times, and Sydney at home ultimately did too. So did Collingwood when we played them. Otherwise, we have nothing to fear from other teams.

Edited by Binmans PA
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, SPC said:

Not sure I’m against it. 

Not sure if you’re referring to trading Clarrie but you’re entitled to your opinion and at least you have the cojones to opine publicly.

Just curious as to the opinion of @dazzledavey36 on the subject of trading Clarrie 🤔 

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

8 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Not sure if you’re referring to trading Clarrie but you’re entitled to your opinion and at least you have the cojones to opine publicly.

Just curious as to the opinion of @dazzledavey36 on the subject of trading Clarrie 🤔 

It really doesn't matter as he won't be traded.

• Love 2

2 hours ago, Binmans PA said:

Absolutely no way. We are deplorable. If you think Oliver is the difference, then i don't know what to say to you. 

You just have to look at the games where we lost convincingly:

Lions  (MCG game)

Freo x 2

WCE (In Perth)

Pies

We were outclassed from the first bounce onwards. Never had a sniff. Looked miles and miles off it. 

Then you have Blues (missing for ~3 quarters); GWS (missing for 2 quarters); Lions (Gabba Missing for 2 quarters); 

We have 2 modes of losses: "no where near it" (1st group) and "cue in the rack" 2nd group. 

1. We are bottom 4 in defending ball movement; 

2. We have lost our ability to defend turnovers from back half

3. We are no longer a Contested Footy powerhouse

4. We are no longer a clearance powerhouse. 

What was our DNA again? "Contest and Defence". When your DNA is failing, all i know is you are in a bit of trouble (figuratively speaking). 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Gawndy the Great said:

Absolutely no way. We are deplorable. If you think Oliver is the difference, then i don't know what to say to you. 

Lions  (MCG game)

Freo x 2

WCE (In Perth)

Pies

We were outclassed from the first bounce onwards. Never had a sniff. Looked miles and miles off it. 

Then you have Blues (missing for ~3 quarters); GWS (missing for 2 quarters); Lions (Gabba Missing for 2 quarters); 

We have 2 modes of losses: "no where near it" (1st group) and "cue in the rack" 2nd group. 

What was our DNA again? "Contest and Defence". When your DNA is failing, all i know is you are in a bit of trouble (figuratively speaking). 

And yet three games by under a kick go the other way and we're second.

Lions and West Coast games were both post 5 day breaks, so it's clear we weren't "out classed". We didn't bring our game in either performance. As evidenced by the next time we played both opposition. We led Brisbane the majority of the game and late in the last, and we easily accounted for West Coast the second time...

Edited by Binmans PA
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, drysdale demon said:

It really doesn't matter as he won't be traded.

You’re right, DD. Clarrie won’t be traded ❤️💙

My post was an invitation for the Dazzling one to let us know his opinion on the subject. It’s my community service act for the day 😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Gawndy the Great said:

Lions  (MCG game)

Freo x 2

WCE (In Perth)

Pies

Almost the exact same team that didn’t make finals in 2020 went on to win the flag in 2021.

Bet you said we were no good in 2020 as well. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Clap 1

48 minutes ago, Gawndy the Great said:

Lions  (MCG game)

Freo x 2

WCE (In Perth)

Pies

EVERY team has bad losses. Look at Sydney today. We do too, for many reasons. The fact that we have been competitive, especially against GWS today, in the circumstances we are in (Gus and Trac out, Gawn limited, Clarry still not at his best) shows our character and ability.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

Almost the exact same team that didn’t make finals in 2020 went on to win the flag in 2021.

Bet you said we were no good in 2020 as well. 

I fail to see how this relates to the current discussion. My response was that a fit Oliver isnt the difference between us being a contender vs not.

Oliver has largely been irrelevant for almost 2 seasons now. He is not the reason why our DNA is unrecognisable in '24. Goodwin himself has said on numerous occasions that we have been uncompetitive

• Sad 1

Goody defends Clarrie and stomps out the smouldering embers of the Trading of Clarrie rumour fire. 
Listen up Cornes, Morris, McClure et al

Edited by WalkingCivilWar
  • Like 1
  • Love 4

1 hour ago, Gawndy the Great said:

Lions  (MCG game)

Freo x 2

WCE (In Perth)

Pies

We're not deplorable, but there is absolutely no way Oliver is the difference between us being 10th spot to then 2nd if he was fully fit, that's actually pretty laughable. People making him out like he's Chris Judd or Gary Ablett that he's got that much of a superstar factor, he doesn't.

A lot of things have went wrong this year. Even if Oliver was fully fit he'd still get the hard tag each week and unlike previous years he hasn't had the likes of Brayshaw, Harmes to protect him like they use.

There are far more bigger issues then Oliver's form is the reason why we are sitting 10th and not top 4.

1 hour ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

You’re right, DD. Clarrie won’t be traded ❤️💙

My post was an invitation for the Dazzling one to let us know his opinion on the subject. It’s my community service act for the day 😅

I've posted my opinions previously. 

Have a dig around and you'll find it.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

the difference between us being 10th spot to then 2nd if he was fully fit, that's actually pretty laughable. People making him out like he's Chris Judd or Gary Ablett that he's got that much of a superstar factor, he doesn't.

A lot of things have went wrong this year. Even if Oliver was fully fit he'd still get the hard tag each week and unlike previous years he hasn't had the likes of Brayshaw, Harmes to protect him like they use.

There are far more bigger issues then Oliver's form is the reason why we are sitting 10th and not top 4.

I disagree. We are 2 wins and 10% (which really is just lowering the volume on some beltings when our midfield were deplorable and a goal here or there) from 4th. 

And the biggest issue is still when our midfield gets smacked it gets ugly. Yet when our midfield win the contest everything else largely falls in to place.

And Oliver has been about 3/10 when his best is 9/10 and just one guy elevating that much changes the entire dynamic of the midfield.

But…even if we were 4th we’d be a lot closer to making up the numbers than a flag contender. Which is exactly what I think of Carlton, GWS, Geelong and Port. They are all pretenders unless they solve a lot of issues in a hurry. We’ve beaten 2 of them, lost to 2 of them by narrow margins. With Clarry anywhere near his best we’d be comfortably in that group of sides.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

We're not deplorable, but there is absolutely no way Oliver is the difference between us being 10th spot to then 2nd if he was fully fit, that's actually pretty laughable. People making him out like he's Chris Judd or Gary Ablett that he's got that much of a superstar factor, he doesn't.

I've posted my opinions previously. 

Have a dig around and you'll find it.

It's 2.5 wins to 2nd spot. It's as outlandish as you paint it...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Binmans PA said:

Yep, exactly. 1 point to the Blues, 5 points to Brisbane and 2 points to GWS.

It's such a game of margins. The difference between Collingwood finishing top last year and finishing outside of the 8 was often a kick or two. They won so many games from behind and by thin margins.

We led for the majority of the Brisbane and GWS games. Both likely top 4 teams, and Carlton could still be a top 4 team too.

Freo had our measure both times, and Sydney at home ultimately did too. So did Collingwood when we played them. Otherwise, we have nothing to fear from other teams.

Give me 18 points and ill show you three more losses. Using this excuse to cover up the real underlying numbers is how you quickly find yourself in a hole.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

I disagree. We are 2 wins and 10% (which really is just lowering the volume on some beltings when our midfield were deplorable and a goal here or there) from 4th. 

And the biggest issue is still when our midfield gets smacked it gets ugly. Yet when our midfield win the contest everything else largely falls in to place.

And Oliver has been about 3/10 when his best is 9/10 and just one guy elevating that much changes the entire dynamic of the midfield.

But…even if we were 4th we’d be a lot closer to making up the numbers than a flag contender. Which is exactly what I think of Carlton, GWS, Geelong and Port. They are all pretenders unless they solve a lot of issues in a hurry. We’ve beaten 2 of them, lost to 2 of them by narrow margins. With Clarry anywhere near his best we’d be comfortably in that group of sides.

Agreed, we've lost too many games comprehensively to not be making up the numbers.

But a fit Clarry and Trac would mean we'd have a better chance of not merely making up the numbers.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, MurDoc516 said:

Give me 18 points and ill show you three more losses. Using this excuse to cover up the real underlying numbers is how you quickly find yourself in a hole.

Except 3 of our losses have been by a combined less than 2 kicks. But it's semantics at this point.

The point I'm highlighting is we don't need to throw the baby out with the bath water.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Binmans PA said:

Except 3 of our losses have been by a combined less than 2 kicks. But it's semantics at this point.

The point I'm highlighting is we don't need to throw the baby out with the bath water.

Are we throwing the baby out with the bathwater by suggesting some changes to personnel? 

Or by suggesting the gameplan hasn't stacked up all year when it mattered. 

Even if we did make finals, we will just make up the numbers. We haven't beaten any of the genuine contenders. 

• Haha 2