Steven May staging fine

1 hour ago, layzie said:

Who cares 

Well clearly the AFL, as they have an ex Pies player as the MRO, who refuses to penalise Pies players.

For Maynard to escape a staging fine after May the week before is simply disgraceful.

He acted far more than May, yet escapes any sanction.

He is hit with an open hand to the left shoulder and goes down like he was shot and then grabs his head and keeps holding it as he lays on the ground.

He staged for a free and yet it is ignored by the MRO.

The media go quiet on it because they are the AFL lackies.

The AFL is just a joke these days, that isn’t even funny.

• Like 14
  • Love 1
  • Clap 1
  • Angry 2

2 hours ago, layzie said:

Who cares 

I care that all of last week Steven May was called a cheat and a sook for FAR LESS, and I bet May cares too.

I care about the rubbish double standards of the AFL, the fact that ANB got (rightly) penalised for deliberate which cost us the game, but a Freo player did the same thing a day later and was not penalised. I care that I've seen countless players run much further than Rivers and not penalised, but Rivers goal is disallowed again costing us a vital 4 points. Do you, heart on hand, think Daicos would get called for running the same distance? 

I care that Adelaide was robbed of finals last year because of rubbish goal line technology, and we were robbed a top 2 spot because Acres lied about a touched goal and we had no technology to show that he lied.

If you don't care about this level of inconsistency and incompetence, good for you. The rest of us however care deeply about pouring thousands of dollars into a sport that has absolutely zero integrity left. 

Just ask ex boss man now running a betting agency. What a sick joke. 

• Like 10
  • Love 1
  • Clap 2
  • Angry 1

10 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

I’ve always liked and mostly agreed with your posts but this one is so uncharacteristic.

@Redleg says you’re being sarcastic. Is that the case?

I actually think @BoBo helped me out here with their detailed post. I hadn't looked at this incident as close as they obviously have and just assumed it was a solar plexus hit.

In general, I think that striking someone off the ball shouldn't be allowed. The Pendles example is quite good. If you can hit someone in the solar plexus and have them drop, giving you or a team mate a free run at a stoppage, then I think that should be suspended, not a fine for low impact. It's a deliberate striking action and isn't part of football and should be discouraged. Oliver cops then all the time. It's gross and we shouldnt be teaching kids "hawhaw its just a little love tap to make him earn it".

In the Maynard type situation, yeah I'm being sarcastic because I know the AFL will never deal with it properly. Realistically he either did strike him with enough force to incapacitate (which is not a football act) or Maynard is staging. Which is it? 

Well the AFL decided it was the former, so surely that strike - that doubled Maynard over - should be punished appropriately? But instead they are trying to sit on the fence and give the easy decision - a small fine that won't be challenged.

The whole thing is a farce, from AFL house to the media and commentary.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

On 29/06/2024 at 21:49, Jaded No More said:

My apologies I can only bring myself to watch Maynard while heavily intoxicated or with both eyes half shut

I think watching Maynard heavily intoxicated or with both eyes half shut would be as bad as watching him with his eyes open and sober.  🤮 Maybe even worse. 

On 30/06/2024 at 10:49, deanox said:

This is one of two things.

Either Maynard is staging for a free kick, OR the strike has sufficient medium/high impact that justifies Maynard going down in which case it is a suspension.

The AFL can't sit on the fence between those options.

Of course they can, and do.

22 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Yep. Slapped in the upper left side of his chest, holds his stomach in pain like he’s been punched there. Drops to the turf and holds his head.

What more do they need??!!!

A rednblue jumper?  

Seriously this is a blatant example of why Michael Christian should be stood down as MRO. even if only for games in which Collingwood is involved.  He is so clearly biased.  

14 hours ago, BoBo said:

The AFL is either corrupt or insanely inept and I’ll prove it.

Firstly there is the Maynard example. Now I’m assuming people know how human anatomy works. If not, being hit below the rib cage in the solar plexus is about the only way to take the wind out of someone and bring them to the ground, assuming both people are of about equivalent strength. 

If you watch the clip with Long, there is not a significant ‘load up’ or transfer of weight (which equals force). He swivels at the hip yes, but strikes Maynard in the PECTORAL MUSCLE and therfore above the solar plexus, which in no reality could cause you to hunch over (let alone grab the head). There is ZERO chance of Maynard being incapacitated by this hit and he is 10000% faking it:

IMG_3992.PNG.b0b84dc9ceb84a03e9efa89e79f82a1d.PNG

Note the distance between them and the fact that Long is REACHING to connect with his elbow way beyond a 90 degree extension. The force has been mostly expelled or absorbed by the fact, it hits Maynard in the god damn chest. Maynard is also looking directly at what is coming to him so he can brace for impact.

The second example is Pendlebury. Now you can see in the below that Pendlebury hits Neale DIRECTLY in the solar plexus. Perfect hit. Go and watch the clip if you don’t believe me, but Pendlebury loads up (he jumps in the air, plants his feet, swivels his hips like a boxer does to land a gut punch) and hits Neale directly in the solar Plexus and is hitting UP INTO NEALE.

IMG_3993.PNG.69c4a4d7d28c2bfcae05f3fc5665ee68.PNG

Look at the angle of Pendlebury’s elbow, bent at 90 degrees, NOT REACHING, weight primed for weight transferred into the strike, Neale isn’t even looking at him and isn’t even expecting it. 

Both of these are a fine. 

If anyone thinks that these two examples are in anyway similar, you are out of your [censored] mind. The fact that the AFL deems both of these cases as similar is a [censored] joke.

They are nowhere near each other by a degree of magnitude.

Now if an [censored] like me can look at these two examples and find the gaping chasm in between them, I’m sure the AFL knows and can do the same. 

The AFL is either corrupt or so ineptly run that it’s a disgrace. 

Take your pick.

7 minutes ago, deanox said:

I actually think @BoBo helped me out here with their detailed post. I hadn't looked at this incident as close as they obviously have and just assumed it was a solar plexus hit.

In general, I think that striking someone off the ball shouldn't be allowed. The Pendles example is quite good. If you can hit someone in the solar plexus and have them drop, giving you or a team mate a free run at a stoppage, then I think that should be suspended, not a fine for low impact. It's a deliberate striking action and isn't part of football and should be discouraged. Oliver cops then all the time. It's gross and we shouldnt be teaching kids "hawhaw its just a little love tap to make him earn it".

In the Maynard type situation, yeah I'm being sarcastic because I know the AFL will never deal with it properly. Realistically he either did strike him with enough force to incapacitate (which is not a football act) or Maynard is staging. Which is it? 

Well the AFL decided it was the former, so surely that strike - that doubled Maynard over - should be punished appropriately? But instead they are trying to sit on the fence and give the easy decision - a small fine that won't be challenged.

The whole thing is a farce, from AFL house to the media and commentary.

either corrupt or insanely inept and I’ll prove it. - no, both

13 hours ago, DubDee said:

what staging for a high hit? that doesn’t make sense. He wasnt trying to get a high contact free, he exaggerated the contact like we’ve seen Clarry and countless others do. remember that soft push when Clarry went over and got the off the ball free, it happens

the hand wringing in this thread is ridiculous 

Really? I thought we were simply pointing out the blatantly obvious inconsistencies. This has nothing to do with Clarrie, I would have thought.

Edited by Monbon
  • Clap 1

Let's write about something the Media LOVE..

More about moore. What happened on the wing against Gold Coast? What is it with thugs. They continue to use the knees when not in the spirit of the game. Result, another Severely bruised set of ribs, if not broken.

Meanwhile out on the ground, here we go with another set of bible bashing accolades to the flock, which they are visibly getting sick of, because this time it was to no avail and Gold Coast walked over them.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Monbon said:

Really? I thought we were simply pointing out the blatantly obvious inconsistencies. This has nothing to do with Clarrie, I would have thought.

Clarry exaggerated contact with a slight push and went down and got an off the ball free and no staging fine

quite relevant. 

9 minutes ago, DubDee said:

Clarry exaggerated contact with a slight push and went down and got an off the ball free and no staging fine

quite relevant. 

Sure if he faked it, he should be fined.  Doubtles you think the guy who gave him the slight push should have been fined - oh wait, that's only for non-C'wood players.

Why do you think pointing out bad things our players do somehow makes it impossible for us to call out the AFL for blantant inconsitencies and biases?  I hope you are not one of those people who like to show how independent and unbiased they are by taking what they think is an unpopular position no matter how ludicrous.  Virtue signalling gone awry.

10 minutes ago, DubDee said:

quite relevant. 

The rules were changed after that incident.

We are comparing May to Maynard which was worse and more acting over May just putting hands on head for a second.

Maynard stayed down holding his head.

It got a player sanctioned and drew an unwarranted free.

May is sanctioned, humiliated by the media and called a cheat by a senior journalist.

Maynard cops nothing from the MRO or the media and is home laughing again.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, sue said:

Sure if he faked it, he should be fined.  Doubtles you think the guy who gave him the slight push should have been fined - oh wait, that's only for non-C'wood players.

Why do you think pointing out bad things our players do somehow makes it impossible for us to call out the AFL for blantant inconsitencies and biases?  I hope you are not one of those people who like to show how independent and unbiased they are by taking what they think is an unpopular position no matter how ludicrous.  Virtue signalling gone awry.

it’s just my opinion. May deserved a fine. Clarry didn’t. May pretended something happened that did not which is different to exaggerating contact. that’s the point i’m trying to make. no other reason for me posting. but i’ll stop now and let people vent. 

12 minutes ago, Redleg said:

The rules were changed after that incident.

We are comparing May to Maynard which was worse and more acting over May just putting hands on head for a second.

Maynard stayed down holding his head.

It got a player sanctioned and drew an unwarranted free.

May is sanctioned, humiliated by the media and called a cheat by a senior journalist.

Maynard cops nothing from the MRO or the media and is home laughing again.

yeah fair enough i agree with some of that

technically though May held his head and got the free based on that. Maynard got the free and player sanctioned for exaggerating the chest hit. the head holding while poor form but did not generate any action. 

18 minutes ago, DubDee said:

technically though May held his head and got the free based on that. Maynard got the free and player sanctioned for exaggerating the chest hit. the head holding while poor form but did not generate any action. 

Geez, don't hit him too hard with the feather of 'poor form'. 

Maybe he should have been fined, not zero times as has happened under the unbiased MRO, and not once but 2 times. Once for exaggerating a mild shove to the upper chest and secondly for holding his head pretending it had been hit.  Make all the excuse for the AFL you like but you will not convince many that the MRO is not corrupt.

Edited by sue
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, DubDee said:

I think we are generally in agreement.

A big club player gets off scott free, while a smaller club player, for a similar act, gets vilified and humiliated by the media for days and then fined by the MRO.

The MRO is of course a former player of the same club as the player he let off and let off by him not for the first time.

We all agree with that.

• Like 5

Geez would it kill Roffey or Pert or someone - anyone - to call this out?

It’s like I’m in a bizarro world where we cannot do anything right / everything is against us / smaller clubs and no one says anything

They’re killing the game and for this little supporter, any desire to spend any money on it - merch, memberships, attendance

This weekend, I’d have considered going to the Lions game up the highway and taking the 9yo to his first game. Then the next day via Metricon for the 5yo and mum to see the Pies. I’d have been vomiting until the final result

But instead such is my disgust at the league, stayed home. I know they want the broadcast and advertising dollars but if they alienate the supporters , it all becomes moot eh?

Gleeson and Christiansen are absolutely compromised 

• Like 2

I think there is a big difference between Roffey and/or Pert having a quiet word with the powers that be over this (and other similar issues), which I assume they well could have done, with making a loud public criticism of the AFL/tribunal system/ umpires, which while soothing the fans, may [censored] off the AFL/tribunal/umpires.

Our club is, and should be focused on what we can control in terms of playing better footy and, ideally, winning flags. Club leaders whining and putting focus on what we can't control is poor culture as if players start also doing this, then they are likely to losing concentration when decisions go against them (which they inevitably will), which is to the deteriment of what our leaders should be encouraging...

Just my thoughts.

Edited by PaulRB
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Monbon said:

I agree with you except for the ANB penalty: this is the rule:

A field Umpire may* award a Free Kick against a Player from the Defending Team where such Player:

(a) intentionally Kicks, Handballs or forces the football over the Attacking Team’s Goal Line or Behind Line or onto one of the Attacking Team’s Goal Posts; AND

(b) the Player:

(i) is greater than nine metres from the Goal Line or Behind Line; OR

(ii) is not under immediate physical pressure; OR

(iii) has had time and space to dispose of the football; OR

(iv) from a Ruck contest, hits the football over the Goal Line or Behind Line on the full. 

For a start, ANB was under intense physical pressure.

Secondly, was only three feet from the boundary...nowhere near more than 9 metres

Thirdly: What time and space did he have to dispose of the football?

The problem here is you are applying the wrong rule.

The above rule is for deliberate rushed behinds, not out of bounds.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Jaded No More said:

I care that all of last week Steven May was called a cheat and a sook for FAR LESS, and I bet May cares too.

I care about the rubbish double standards of the AFL, the fact that ANB got (rightly) penalised for deliberate which cost us the game, but a Freo player did the same thing a day later and was not penalised. I care that I've seen countless players run much further than Rivers and not penalised, but Rivers goal is disallowed again costing us a vital 4 points. Do you, heart on hand, think Daicos would get called for running the same distance? 

I care that Adelaide was robbed of finals last year because of rubbish goal line technology, and we were robbed a top 2 spot because Acres lied about a touched goal and we had no technology to show that he lied.

If you don't care about this level of inconsistency and incompetence, good for you. The rest of us however care deeply about pouring thousands of dollars into a sport that has absolutely zero integrity left. 

Just ask ex boss man now running a betting agency. What a sick joke. 

All valid and accurate points.

But what can we do about it? Really, what can we do? Crud all.

Every single week we're on here losing our [censored] about the latest triggering thing that the league is doing or done and frankly I've had a complete gutful of it. Caring deeply and biting at everything like wore me out big time last year and the QF was the final nail in the coffin.

After last year I lost all hope and respect for the AFL and it's integrity and released myself from it. There are better and more important things in life to get triggered by and this controlled corrupt sandbox sport is no longer even close to top on my list. Such is my lack of caring about the sport as a whole now I watch 1 possibly 2 games a week and consume next to no football media. I haven't even seen this Maynard incident so I really don't care. I literally take an organisation like the  AFL as seriously as WWE now and they have some real talent writing their storylines.

I'm tired of it, I'm so far past the point of expecting fairness or justice or even consistency in umpiring. We've made the game fricking impossible to umpire what do you expect? But I need a lecture about caring because I don't give a toss about the minuscule difference between two deliberate out of bounds calls? Parity and consistency does not exist in the current environment and it never will. 

Not being triggered doesnt make me less of a fan either. I pay my membership money to the Melbourne Football Club, it's an institution that I hope carries on forever and intention wise is 100% to support the club. I'm not an investor or stakeholder or proud partner of the AFL. And I will take the 'good for you' as a compliment because it's taken some work to get here, one thing for sure is it definitely needed to change. 

The league is a farce, the hip pocket rules, the sport is in trouble, the end. 

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

5 minutes ago, layzie said:

Not being triggered doesnt make me less of a fan either. I pay my membership money to the Melbourne Football Club, it's an institution that I hope carries on forever and intention wise is 100% to support the club. I'm not an investor or stakeholder or proud partner of the AFL. And I will take the 'good for you' as a compliment because it's taken some work to get here, one thing for sure is it definitely needed to change. 

The league is a farce, the hip pocket rules, the sport is in trouble, the end. 

Never have I said nor tried to imply that you are any less of a fan, and the 'good for you' is a compliment.

I too rarely watch games beyond our own, and have completely stopped caring about what happens outside the four walls of our club. But unfortunately when our club  and our players are consistently on the [censored] end of every decision, it's hard not to get triggered.

I do take the rank media calling May a cheat to heart. I do get riled up when they're calling Kolt for taking a dive when Zorko hits him without the ball, but it's carry on for Maynard. It does infuriate me that we lose games due to complete umpiring fails time and time again. When you are invested in the outcomes of the club, and the club keeps getting royally [censored] up the [censored], then of course it's hard not to care.

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

8 minutes ago, layzie said:

Such is my lack of caring about the sport as a whole now I watch 1 possibly 2 games a week and consume next to no football media.

This coupled with Klopp leaving, hope you've picked up a new hobby! All the best bro!

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

Never have I said nor tried to imply that you are any less of a fan, and the 'good for you' is a compliment.

I too rarely watch games beyond our own, and have completely stopped caring about what happens outside the four walls of our club. But unfortunately when our club  and our players are consistently on the [censored] end of every decision, it's hard not to get triggered.

I do take the rank media calling May a cheat to heart. I do get riled up when they're calling Kolt for taking a dive when Zorko hits him without the ball, but it's carry on for Maynard. It does infuriate me that we lose games due to complete umpiring fails time and time again. When you are invested in the outcomes of the club, and the club keeps getting royally [censored] up the [censored], then of course it's hard not to care.

No I genuinely accepted the good compliment. It's nice to have appreciation and thank you because it wasn't easy to undo years of muscle memory. 

I very much take to task players being called cheats and I don't think it should be a word that we desensitise people to. But when we put people like Mark Robinson in key media positions, what do we expect?

Call it playing ignorance or just checking out but I simply couldn't handle any more electric shocks from the AFL. They aren't the boss of me. 

• Like 3