Welcome to Demonland: Luker Kentfield

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, old dee said:

Sadly I don't share your enthusiasm. If Max could not play today in your view could he step up?

That's not what I was saying at all. I said he could make a good ruck/fwd. I'm impressed with his mobility and ground ball game.  I included him in a discussion with 3 KPFs JVR, Jefferson and Kentfield.

I think at 200cm he will struggle as main AFL ruck and elsewhere I've been very keen on getting Ned Moyle. At 200cm Verrall could provide an very good forward/ruck complement.

You're not known for your enthusiasm about anything except pessimism.

Edited by old55
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

21 minutes ago, old55 said:

That's not what I was saying at all. I said he could make a good ruck/fwd. I'm impressed with his mobility and ground ball game.  I included him in a discussion with 3 KPFs JVR, Jefferson and Kentfield.

I think at 200cm he will struggle as main AFL ruck and elsewhere I've been very keen on getting Ned Moyle. At 200cm Verrall could provide an very good forward/ruck complement.

You're not known for your enthusiasm about anything except pessimism.

I simply asked in your view could he step up? Could he? 

12 minutes ago, old dee said:

Not as first ruck 70% in the AFL at present no. And it's doubtful ever for the size reasons I posted, but he has other valuable attributes.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, old dee said:

7 minutes ago, old55 said:

Not as first ruck 70% in the AFL at present no. And it's doubtful ever for the size reasons I posted, but he has other valuable attributes.

Re: Verrell discussion.  

Nobody at all could step up so we have to hope that Max stays fit and healthy. 

But serious question - who could we even try for 70-80% ruck time?  I have no idea.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, monoccular said:

Re: Verrell discussion.  

Nobody at all could step up so we have to hope that Max stays fit and healthy. 

But serious question - who could we even try for 70-80% ruck time?  I have no idea.  

Agree. It would have to be some combination of Fullarton/Verrall, JVR and Petty.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, old55 said:

Agree. It would have to be some combination of Fullarton/Verrall, JVR and Petty.

Which would be an unmitigated disaster for all concerned. 

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, monoccular said:

Which would be an unmitigated disaster for all concerned. 

It's not ideal but I think it's workable if the midfield takes advantage of the ruck disadvantage.

• Like 2

Was impressed with his physicality today and his size. Uses his frame well. Tank not great.

Another thing to note, saeed al hawli who was picked later in the draft had 4 goals and 27 touches today in the 2s. Will be interesting to see how their careers pan out

• Like 3

1 hour ago, old55 said:

It's not ideal but I think it's workable if the midfield takes advantage of the ruck disadvantage.

That's part of the key, isn't it? In the absence of the complete package that a Max brings, the componentry priorities for the mere mortals filling the gap/s would appear to be:

First. Providing a disruptive contest with the presumed dominant tap/take oppo ruck (combined with suitably modified structures around)

Second. Providing a full-ground presence (preferably marking presence) that forces oppo ruck to chase, or oppo positional players into uncertainty

Third. Providing impactful follow up at stoppage (an 'extra midfielder').

And each of these requires the ability to do so for (it seems) 70% game time.

How do our various bigger players, untried and tried, stack up?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, old55 said:

Exactly, the ruck position is overrated. Look who won the last two flags.

• Like 4

On 06/06/2024 at 12:42, WalkingCivilWar said:

He arrived in Melbourne less than a week ago and was training two days ago. What more do you want??!!! 

Hasn’t even won a Brownlow yet. 

disgraceful. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 10

Nice cameo from Luker Kentfield today kicked a couple, looked the part and is no shrinking violet. Great effort Luker. 👍

• Like 8
  • Love 1
  • Clap 2

10 hours ago, DeeZone said:

Nice cameo from Luker Kentfield today kicked a couple, looked the part and is no shrinking violet. Great effort Luker. 👍

I loved his bump on opponent in the last quarter. He just hipped him out of the road to take a strong one grab mark and then kicked the goal. 

Edited by old dee
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

On 08/06/2024 at 12:35, djr said:

I wonder if the high performance team will design a specific programme for Luker that resembles an extended pre-season in order to be AFL ready by March of next year. After 9 months of aerobic training and dedicated gym days to build up muscle strength, he will look quite formidable. With that said, I assume he can play football.

Phabulous!

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, DeeZone said:

We may have an increase in 'mongrel' (long overdue) for next season should he bulk-up, reach peak fitness and study Viney's attitude. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Nascent said:

Have you watched jeffo recently Old? Averaging 2.6 goals a game over his past 5 matches and from a very slow start is equal top 10 in the VFL goalkicking table. This is despite playing a couple games in defence and having no pre-season. Don't write him off yet.

Pleasing words of caution there, Nascent.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, old dee said:

Is that last line a question old55? 

If it is a question, Ol55, then my impressions are that all three may well develop into power forwards - time is an incredulous thing where initial abilities are present.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Deemania since 56 said:

We may have an increase in 'mongrel' (long overdue) for next season should he bulk-up, reach peak fitness and study Viney's attitude. 

Havent seen him in person but already looks "bulked up" - high performance managers should turn him into a monster.  Already has swagger and mongrel.

• Love 4

1 hour ago, monoccular said:

Havent seen him in person but already looks "bulked up" - high performance managers should turn him into a monster.  Already has swagger and mongrel.

It would be great (if he has the disposal skills and confidence) to re-kindle in our team some of the (lesser onfield crimes) attributes of Rodney the Grinter, the poise of a younger Gazza Lyon and the ... 'take 'em all on...' effectiveness of Neeta. We have been waiting, after all.

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

On 09/06/2024 at 13:33, old dee said:

Sadly I don't share your enthusiasm. If Max could not play today in your view could he step up?

Not yet Mr Old imv.  Even Fullo has him covered, at least on the tap work side, at present.  Even at ground level.

Bodying sense Verral's well ahead but he can't leap much and this effects his tap work imv.  Concrete boots if you like.

His tank also doesn't seem to be there in terms of follow up ground work and ability either (yet).

I'd have Fullo ahead of Verral right now if Max was out or needed a chop out (ahead of or in conjunction with JVR).  And not with alot of confidence either. 

It's quite possibke that neither would make the step up! (as they sit right now).

I reckon the FD might even be thinking of trialling BBB, with dodgy knee and all, as a replacement for another tall (and some/all of JVR's ruck duties or forward half duties) post the bye.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Supreme_Demon said:

Luker Kentfield may debut sooner than we expect perhaps?

Especially, after the quite pathetic performance by Daniel "Disco" Turner.

Another 4 to 5 weeks from a fitness sense but yes, i'd start blooding him ahead of Petty as sson as the metrics indicate he's capable of about 2.5 - 3 quarters off the bench.

Turner is a young fella who hasn't been able to stay out of the injury shed for long enough to shine imv.  Also looks lost up forward and a massive turnover kimg there to boot.

Then again, aside from JVR yesterday, most of our KFs have looked.lost all year.  Dog's breakfast ahead of the ball.

I'd trial Turner in the River's role (at least try and mould him into it in this back half).  And push Rivers into the middle for an inside / outside role to replace Clarry (short term trial over 4 to 6 weeks).

Kemty most likely hasn't got the wheels yet but has the body, forward smarts / finish and white line fever we sadly lack with our KFs right now, aside from JVR.  Just needs a fitness block.  He would need a pre-season or two in the gym also but hec, so does Petty & Turner!

Will need to be managed of course and probably only in short stints but i'd love.to see him getting some games experience in this back half ahead of Petty & Turner.

BBB was also the best of the KFs at Casey yesterday from what i saw and i'd have him ahead of those last two in a heartbeat (in the short term) assuming his knee can go the distance up with the big boys.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1