POSTGAME: Rd 08 vs Geelong

3 hours ago, Hawny for Gawny said:

Don't forget the 9 intercept possessions, 4th most on the ground!

And i'll say this, but don't yell lit out. The bump.... made me very happy.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Wodjathefirst said:

Being honest I would classify myself more as a passionate supporter than an astute football follower.  Having said that, when I listened to that commentary after that game I was gobsmacked with some of the dribble that they were going on about.  

The Roar article and to some extent the guardian articles as well listed earlier in this thread banged on about how boring the game was for the first three quarters.

I may be a bit biased but I found the whole contest quite riveting. It was a wonderful arm wrestle all night.

It wasn't just boring stoic defence from us. The cats got out on numerous occasions but our defence was frenetic on scrambling back to stop them. I find that really entertaining to watch.

14 behinds in a row, not as much but I think that reflected the pressure of the game on both sides.

I loved every minute of it, not just the last quarter.

• Like 21
  • Love 1
  • Clap 2

19 hours ago, Fork 'em said:

Lever's in career best form.
Has it on a string ATM.

As for the young fellas coming in to the team now with the mature leadership directing them around the ground.
Blokes who have been there, done it and respected throughout the game, Gawn, Viney, Trac, Oliver, May and Lever.
Think back to when Neeld was Coach.
Right now he'd be thinking of making Windsor the captain.

Yeah great point. Makes so much of a difference when there's the wise heads there to guide them.

• Like 3

Has it on a string ATM.

As for the young fellas coming in to the team now with the mature leadership directing them around the ground.
Blokes who have been there, done it and respected throughout the game, Gawn, Viney, Trac, Oliver, May and Lever.

Yeah great point. Makes so much of a difference when there's the wise heads there to guide them.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Brownie said:

The Roar article and to some extent the guardian articles as well listed earlier in this thread banged on about how boring the game was for the first three quarters.

I may be a bit biased but I found the whole contest quite riveting. It was a wonderful arm wrestle all night.

It wasn't just boring stoic defence from us. The cats got out on numerous occasions but our defence was frenetic on scrambling back to stop them. I find that really entertaining to watch.

14 behinds in a row, not as much but I think that reflected the pressure of the game on both sides.

Agreed. Had a final feel about it for me.

Twists and turns.

Sub plots.

Themes .

Mystique.

Courage.

Battles.

What more could you want?

Maybe Scott falling out of the coaches box.

Edited by leave it to deever
  • Like 3
  • Haha 13

Has it on a string ATM.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Gawndy the Great said:

Maybe so… I think it’s more what happens when you don’t put the right person in him. Henry (his direct opponent) gave him no respect and despite kicking 3 goals on him, probably gave up more in the scoring chains he set up. 

Yeah that's a good point. I suppose it's more of an overall elevation this season. He's always been good but he seems to be more commanding than ever and I wonder if it's something to do with seeing himself taking on the captaincy after Max.

• Like 1

I honestly think a lot of posters are misreading Chris Scotts presser, i probably took it as him playing mind games a little bit. I think he saw Melbourne take away and shut down a lot of what they wanted to do and render their star forwards ineffectual, so his response was to play it down as them having a bad day in the hope that teams don't study it too closely and work it out, but also to keep the belief in his playing group that they're the best team, and they weren't outplayed.

• Like 10

8 minutes ago, Dwight Schrute said:

I honestly think a lot of posters are misreading Chris Scotts presser, i probably took it as him playing mind games a little bit. I think he saw Melbourne take away and shut down a lot of what they wanted to do and render their star forwards ineffectual, so his response was to play it down as them having a bad day in the hope that teams don't study it too closely and work it out, but also to keep the belief in his playing group that they're the best team, and they weren't outplayed.

100% this... Chris is no fool

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, Brownie said:

In all seriousness Brownie,  for me it was one of the best games for a while. Because after our last two games it was fair to wonder where we really were as a flag chance. 

We certainly are a very good chance for one as a result of that win. The Cats are a scary good side with both great backlines and forward lines. Their run and carry and speed of transition is damn good.

But our defenders ...the three horseman so to speak were wonderful. A proverbial wall of bronze and iron. To keep Cameron and Hawkins to zip was indeed a biblical effort. They say backlines don't win flags but I'm not sure that holds anymore. Ours must be the envy of all and it's missing two big names in Bowey and Salem.

Also to see Petty go from strength to strength as the game progressed was a sight for sore eyes. In the final stages it looked like he couldn't drop a mark even if he wanted to.

He was that connection at chf and the middle that we have so desperately needed. So glad Goody didn't heed the screams here to send him back to Casey . 

But in the end it just revealed another moment of this club to never say die. Cats went to another level in the last quarter but we went above that. At times the game wasn't pretty with its shots at goal but that was just a reflection of the pressure.

One of the biggest take aways for me wasn't just our number of tackles but rather how many of them stuck. It seemed that most of our players just couldn't be shaken off.

And the moments of just speed and skill like Frittas dribbler, Caleb's two steps and he's on you and Kozzies snap at goal were a reminder of the quality of some of our players. And in the final quarter we saw Oliver as who he really is. Simply the best midfielder in the competition for me. See ball get ball then hit a target. 31 disposals despite being hard done by the umpires.

Finally I'd like to give a shout out to two veterans. 

Max who just goes to another level against the Cats and Tom McDonald who has defied all odds and looks like the great defender he was six years ago.

That was probably the best h and a win since the Kardinia park comeback or when we pinched a win against the lions at the MCG.

Okay maybe not a big comeback win but in the context of the  season and past few games and who we played was most thrilling. 

Next week is another big test. But I'm sure we will go in choc full of confidence and deservingly so.

Win that and we may not be top of the ladder but we would certainly be looking like the strongest contender about. 

Edited by leave it to deever
  • Like 5
  • Clap 4

20 hours ago, Fork 'em said:

Has it on a string ATM.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, leave it to deever said:

In all seriousness Brownie,  for me it was one of the best games for a while. Because after our last two games it was fair to wonder where we really were as a flag chance. 

We certainly are a very good chance for one as a result of that win. The Cats are a scary good side with both great backlines and forward lines. Their run and carry and speed of transition is damn good.

But our defenders ...the three horseman so to speak were wonderful. A proverbial wall of bronze and iron. To keep Cameron and Hawkins to zip was indeed a biblical effort. They say backlines don't win flags but I'm not sure that holds anymore. Ours must be the envy of all and it's missing two big names in Bowey and Salem.

Also to see Petty go from strength to strength as the game progressed was a sight for sore eyes. In the final stages it looked like he couldn't drop a mark even if he wanted to.

He was that connection at chf and the middle that we have so desperately needed. So glad Goody didn't heed the screams here to send him back to Casey . 

But in the end it just revealed another moment of this club to never say die. Cats went to another level in the last quarter but we went above that. At times the game wasn't pretty with its shots at goal but that was just a reflection of the pressure.

One of the biggest take aways for me wasn't just our number of tackles but rather how many of them stuck. It seemed that most of our players just couldn't be shaken off.

And the moments of just speed and skill like Frittas dribbler, Caleb's two steps and he's on you and Kozzies snap at goal were a reminder of the quality of some of our players. And in the final quarter we saw Oliver as who he really is. Simply the best midfielder in the competition for me. See ball get ball then hit a target. 31 disposals despite being hard done by the umpires.

Max who just goes to another level against the Cats and Tom McDonald who has defied all odds and looks like the great defender he was six years ago.

That was probably the best h and a win since the Kardinia park comeback or when we pinched a win against the lions at the MCG.

Okay maybe not a big comeback win but in the context of the  season and past few games and who we played was most thrilling. 

Next week is another big test. But I'm sure we will go in choc full of confidence and deservingly so.

Win that and we may not be top of the ladder but we would certainly be looking like the strongest contender about. 

I'm very surprised any real AFL fan would have found that hard to watch, it was like being treated to a nail biting prelim in May. 

I honestly think the only people who wouldn't have enjoyed it were Chris Scott and Geelong who probably didn't think anyone was a serious threat to them this season and just got a very rude shock. 

• Like 6

Can we use this win to kill the phrase and argument “…. but if we play like that vs Geelong they’ll kill us.” Used by several on here to pour cold water on a regulation win vs a mediocre team, ie past couple of weeks. 

winners are grinners

Go Demons

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, leave it to deever said:

Totally @leave it to deever

You could probably say we're missing Bowey, Salon and Gus as well for that matter.

Full credit to Troy Chaplin and the coaching team for the system he's built back there.

Maysie and Lever as the generals for us as well.

I swear after the siren blew those two were still arguing with each other. If anyone watches the replay have a look, it was hilarious. They're totally like a married couple at times.

Remember when we were piling on Steven May for the way he was abusing team mates in his early days with us? But they've obviously set a standard back there.

No-one seems in doubt of their role in that brick wall.

Bronze and Iron indeed

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Brownie said:

swear after the siren blew those two were still arguing with each other

Love it. Lever makes so much noise directing players I don't know how he manages to focus on his own game. And yea full credit to Maysie from being the strongman at GCS to the consummate teammate he is today.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ted Lasso said:

I think he saw Melbourne take away and shut down a lot of what they wanted to do and render their star forwards ineffectual, so his response was to play it down as them having a bad day in the hope that teams don't study it too closely and work it out ...

If Scott thought that he would be delusioinal.  Every coach will go to town on what we did to also exploit the Cats game as we did, the only team to beat them this year.

Scott may be arrogant but he isn't delusional.   He was talking to the fans.  He and the players know it was more than an off day.  Afterall, the only team in the top 8 they have beaten is Carlton who are just hanging in their. 

I thought it was arrogant and disrespectful of him to 'manage' players and bring in some that were underdone.  It backfired! 

• Like 10

Goodwin has been appropriately praised for the coaching in this game. 

imv, McQualter's impact on our 2024 game style and this week's tactics is being terribly under rated.

• Like 11

Really hate the roar. 

It’s an article supposedly focused on our statement win against the Cats, but still manages to squeeze in a reference to their missing cattle, and Jezza’s misses.

What about our missing players!? What about our misses? Last I checked we missed more goals and should have won by more. I’ve been seeing comments about the cats kicking their way out of this one. What [censored]. Aside from the fact that it was us who nearly kicked our way out of, I don’t recall this sympathy for us when we kicked our way out of TWO finals last year. 

Goals win matches, apparently. And we beat the Cats when are where we needed to. 

IMG_8140.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Appreciate the link/alerts about the Guardian/The Roar stories. Both thoughtful well written articles with intelligent analyses.

Reminds me of football journalism of bygone years. Alf Brown and writers of his ilk. The Sporting Globe aka ‘the Pink Bible’ after the game on Saturday night, recapping the highs and lows. Greg Hobbs, Geoff Poulter and Ken Piesse. Monday’s Age Patrick Smith et al, The Sun Mike Sheahan et al and later the Australian.

More immediately the radio 3LO 3AW 3KZ and 3UZ which annoyingly had the horse racing calls during the game. And if you were lucky the Demons got football replay on 7 luckier still as winners.

ABC no advertising/self promotion back then and some decent callers. Tim Lane, Drew Morphett et al. Special comments from former players and coaches, especially liked David Parkin astute, articulate worth listening to. 

Now IMHO the ABC caters for disparate demographics and is rife with post-Babel agendas. That attempt to appease ‘moderne’ mores but ultimately diminishes the whole. 

Switched off years ago. Dumped Foxtel and Kayo. Content now to choose and pick even if it is on 24 hour delay. 

Edited by Tarax Club
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Red But Mostly Blue said:

Really hate the roar. 

It’s an article supposedly focused on our statement win against the Cats, but still manages to squeeze in a reference to their missing cattle, and Jezza’s misses.

What about our missing players!? What about our misses? Last I checked we missed more goals and should have won by more. I’ve been seeing comments about the cats kicking their way out of this one. What [censored]. Aside from the fact that it was us who nearly kicked our way out of, I don’t recall this sympathy for us when we kicked our way out of TWO finals last year. 

Goals win matches, apparently. And we beat the Cats when are where we needed to. 

IMG_8140.jpg

For some inexplicable reason most of the media downplay our achievements. 

eg Foxfooty three word summary for us this week was: Regained some respect.  Ha?

eg When we beat Port, we didn't really win because Port won 'expected score'.  No mention this week of how the Cats lost on expected score as well as the real score.

I see most of them as media hacks and just laugh at all the stuff they write.

And, I'll take great pleasure when we hold up the Premiership Cup.  I will enjoy watching them eat their words. 

Edited by Lucifers Hero
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Tarax Club said:

Appreciate the link/alerts about the Guardian/The Roar stories. Both thoughtful well written articles with intelligent analyses.

Reminds me of football journalism of bygone years. Alf Brown and writers of his ilk. The Sporting Globe aka ‘the Pink Bible’ after the game on Saturday night recapping the highs and lows. Greg Hobbs, Geoff Poulter and Ken Piesse. Monday’s Age Patrick Smith et al the Sun Mike Sheahan et al and later the Australian.

More immediately the radio 3LO 3AW 3KZ and 3UZ which annoyingly had the horse racing calls during the game. And if you were lucky the Demons got football replay on 7 luckier still as winners.

ABC no advertising/self promotion back then and some decent callers. Drew Morphett et al. Special comments Tim Lane, especially liked David Parkin astute, articulate worth listening to. 

Now IMHO the ABC caters for disparate demographics and is rife with post-Babel agendas. That attempt to appease ‘moderne’ mores but ultimately diminishes the whole. 

Switched off years ago. Dumped Foxtel and Kayo. Content now to choose and pick even if it is on 24 hour delay. 

In my first full year over here I used to listen to our games on a big old radiogram the folks had picked up from an op shop (along with the rest of our furniture) but being rubbish at the time we were almost always on the two racing channels, 3UZ and 3DB where the gee gee's always got priority. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Rab D Nesbitt said:

we were almost always on the two racing channels, 3UZ and 3DB where the gee gee's always got priority. 

"Flower takes another bounce, baulks an opponent, runs to half-forward, lines up the goals, this to win the game and ... they're racing at Morphetville".

• Haha 8
  • Clap 2

19 minutes ago, Lucifers Hero said:

For some inexplicable reason most of the media downplay our achievements. 

eg Foxfooty three word summary for us this week was: Regained some respect.  Ha?

eg When we beat Port, we didn't really win because Port won 'expected score'.  No mention this week of how the Cats lost on expected score as well as the real score.

I see most of them as media hacks and just laugh at all the stuff they write.

And, I'll take great pleasure when we hold up the Premiership Cup.  I will enjoy watching them eat their words. 

Yep, our achievements are always minimised (our GF was apparently part of the COVID cup(s) - notwithstanding that all the other teams played in the same year, and we had to win away for all our big games (and we won big), and our low(er) points, even though no doubt a part of every club, are highlighted. Unfounded allegations made/maintained against Goody, various players etc. It's poor.

That's a gross three word summary. 

Yeah - I recall that sentiment - again, totally ignorant our notable expected score losses.

The lot of them are hacks, and I will join in celebrating more success, and them eating their words (they'll all jump back on the bandwagon, before jumping off at the next beat-up story). 

• Like 5