DANIHER for SHEEDY- direct swap??

tallstuey

Malthouse is an interesting one, at the Eagles he virtually had a state team, they were that good. But at Collingwood I think he managed to get an avearge side playing good, consistent football.

I think Malthouse has done an excellent job at Collingwood. No one thought they would play in 2002 Grand Final. They lost a close one, and everyone just assumed they'd had their shot at it, and would slip away quietly. But buggar me, they pop up in the 2003 Grand Final. They have a couple of lean years, perhaps partly due to injuries, then finish 5th in 2006 with 14 wins. They lose to the Bulldogs by 7 goals, and again everyone thinks they will slip back but Malthouse has them looking good for finals again this year.

I actually don't think he gets enough credit for their performances with the list he has. Perhaps I underestimate Collingwoods list. But if I had a choice between Melbournes list and Collingwoods, I'd take the Demons.

But what he does have at Collingwood is finance and facilities. The Lexus center is amazing, and if he needs something, he gets it. What would Danihers record look like if he the facilities at his disposal that Malthouse or Sheedy have? Not that it's their fault they are fortunate enough to coach these clubs, but it would be an interesting scenario to put ND in their shoes.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I acknowledge he is a good coach and I also understand that part of my attitude towards him are because of a couple of incedents that he's been involved in, and these are:

- The throat slicing gesture. Completely unprofessional.

- His stance towards the MFC wanting to add a player to our list after Troy died and then seeing him publicly campaign for Rama's rookie listing, complete hypocrisy

- His comments re: flooding. Sheedy was one of the first coaches to use the tactics, examples of this was his tactics against Allen Jakovich

Needless to say I have a very poor opinion of him, I think he is a hypocrite, but I have to agree with you he is one of the top coaches.

- throat slashing : I think he did this to show his players that he was right there with them. But I don't know for sure. He probably didn't need to do it, but in the heat of battle, emotions running high, one of his players put down behind play etc etc. He paid for it with a heavy fine.

- Can't remember exactly what he said re Troy. I thought it was along the lines of Troy should be replaced with a mature aged player instead of a rookie, or vice versa. Not sure. Look obviously coaches are going to look out for their clubs best interests. And in doing this, they tend to get hypocritical, this is nothing new. He wasn't the first, and won't be the last. But I can understand how this gets to you when your club and Troy were involved.

- Well, it didn't work did it. Jakovich used to kick bags against us. Back then, flooding wasn't a massive issue. I think now, Sheedy recognises the threat that sports like Soccer and Basketball pose to AFL football, and wants to keep the game attractive. That may be whats behind his anti flooding comments.

I understand your anti Sheedy attitude. He isn't Mr Popular with every footy fan around the country. I suppose from my point of view, I love the guy. I have good friends who barrack for the Bulldogs and Geelong. I work with a mad keen Richmond supporter who bearly remembers 1980. My wife and her family are fanatical Melbourne supporters. I'm sure there are St Kilda supporters I know as well. I'm 32 years old, and I've been lucky enough to see 4 premierships, thanks mainly to K.Sheedy. So yeah, I love the guy.

since danners has come in only 2 victorian clubs have won premierships. both of those coaches have now coached bottom 4 sides in the past two years. i really think we shouldn't be too critical of danners

I have thougt about this a bit. It is time to change coaches. I think that the only reason that holds for me is about 'mental state'. For years players have used the excuse that they have not turned up ready to play. I am sick of it, it is sad and really unprofessional. I have to turn up ready every day - I'm a psychologist and frequently people I see are suicidal. Do I get a chance to rock up only 80% ready? What would I say to a coroner, or a family member: "Whoops, look, I'm better than that but I just didn't get 'switched on'?

We need someone who might be more able to galvanise a particular mental approach. Now, I am not saying that Danher is fully responsible - in my view it is largely the players job. However, that doesn't mean that the coach could not have a bigger effect - or a more affective effect.

THe 'no plan b' myths, the 'no risks' myths, the 'no rucks' myths, are all garbage. IMHO the only reason to change coach would be to eek out that next 5% of playing capacity that we only see inconsistently.

I think that Sheedy may be able to do what danners cannot.

Now I feel ill.

Yay I agree! If we change coaches now a premierships gets further away. Essendon went with Sheedy through thick and thin and we need to do the same with the Rev

On performance alone the rev deserves another year, Im a big fan, he wears his heart on his sleeve, theres nothing better than seeing his emotions on game day, which proves how much he bleeds for the club. Imagine how it has been for Tiger fans during the time the rev has been at the helm.

We need someone who might be more able to galvanise a particular mental approach. Now, I am not saying that Danher is fully responsible - in my view it is largely the players job.

I agree that ND is not fully responsible.

However, ND's been there ~10 years, so the senior players now were 21 or younger when ND came to the Club.

Just something to keep in mind.

I know what I am going to say will be strongly disagreed by many on this site.

However, I think ND has improved his coaching year by year. I now think he is one of the better coaches in the comp and I strongly believe he will become a premiership coach. I know we are 0 and 7 but any other coach would be 0 and 7 with the injury list and appalling luck we have. What I am really pleased about is the continued improvement and endeavour shown in the last weeks despite the fact that our season is over and our expectations were high. Look at Richmond for example. That’s what normally happens when you season goes pear shaped. ND has continued to successfully motivate his troops despite everything turning to sh_it. His coaching all season has been A grade. No other coach would have done better.

We must play now for 2008. The only way this can happen is if we re-sign ND and give him an option of playing our kids rather than him coaching for his career. We must sign him to a one year contract now. A new coach will not take as to a Premiership next year ND may.

Melbourne's list has been no where near as good as many people have believed over the last 10 years. I think ND has done very well with what we have had in very difficulty circumstances, merger talks, boardroom battles, bankruptcy, relocation talk etc.

I was critical of ND only have one game plan many seasons ago. But he has improved we now play several sorts of game plans well and we swap these game plans not just between quarters we can now change game plans during quarters.

Give ND an oppertunity to finish what he has started.

Sign ND to one more season now!

I know what I am going to say will be strongly disagreed by many on this site.

However, I think ND has improved his coaching year by year. I now think he is one of the better coaches in the comp and I strongly believe he will become a premiership coach. I know we are 0 and 7 but any other coach would be 0 and 7 with the injury list and appalling luck we have. What I am really pleased about is the continued improvement and endeavour shown in the last weeks despite the fact that our season is over and our expectations were high. Look at Richmond for example. That’s what normally happens when you season goes pear shaped. ND has continued to successfully motivate his troops despite everything turning to sh_it. His coaching all season has been A grade. No other coach would have done better.

We must play now for 2008. The only way this can happen is if we re-sign ND and give him an option of playing our kids rather than him coaching for his career. We must sign him to a one year contract now. A new coach will not take as to a Premiership next year ND may.

Melbourne's list has been no where near as good as many people have believed over the last 10 years. I think ND has done very well with what we have had in very difficulty circumstances, merger talks, boardroom battles, bankruptcy, relocation talk etc.

I was critical of ND only have one game plan many seasons ago. But he has improved we now play several sorts of game plans well and we swap these game plans not just between quarters we can now change game plans during quarters.

Give ND an oppertunity to finish what he has started.

Sign ND to one more season now!

There is absolutely no benefit for our club to sign him for just 1 year. What we need is a long term vision, not a short term one.

What criteria can you point to as proof that Daniher "has continued to successfully motivate his troops"? Hello Byron!

He has had 10 years to finish what he has started. The facts are our best year under him was 8 years ago in 2000, and second best year was in his first year in '98. Remember the immediate turn around in form Daniher was able to achieve in his first year after Balme's disasterous last year?

The MFC can take advantage of securing a high profile coach who could deliver greater media exposure that would benefit both our membership and sponsorship base. This in concert with our new facilities at Olympic Park could lay a foundation to secure our future within a very competitive environment.

We would be better served to offer someone like Sheedy a 3 year contract, rather than the present incumbent just 1 year. If Sheedy is able to deliver improvement and deveopment of players within this period, then extend his contract. If not, we have 3 years to formulate a strategy to persue a candidate who could then take over a club that has layed a stronger foundation to build a platform on for the future.

to be honest, i think danners has been a pretty successful coach, but we could definetly use some fresh ideas at the top. i would take sheedy in a flash, i reckon he would get us to a grand final in a couple of years. we wont get him though, hell be essendon or he'll be gone.